Understanding and Accepting

Flirtationship

A/N: Oh hey look early update ( so if you have not read chap 5, go go!)

 

 

 

 

 

They had reached home by dinner time, everyone looking extremely happy as they bundled out, chattering away. This time Donghae beat Hyukjae to helping Hyukjae’s Nanny out who gushed and cooed about donghae being such a lovely boy, Hyukjae pouted sadly as Donghae cheekily smiled at him

“I’m her new favorite.”

“Oh just you wait, one day she’ll ditch you for someone else!”

“Aey! you two are my only lovely boys, and Kyubear,  trust in Nanny.” She giggled causing Hyukjae and Donghae to laugh out. Heading straight to the living room where they settled down to go over the day’s happenings. Kyuhyun threw the two, donghae and Hyukjae, a look, the two seemed to be getting along rather well already, narrowing his eyes he teased about how well Donghae and Hyukjae were getting along. Donghae flashed him a happy smile.

“By the way, Donghae, I got word from the workshop, your car’s all fixed now.” Mr.Lee grinned.

“Oh then.” Donghae instantly got up from the couch and bowed in his direction, straightening up he smiled fondly “ I feel like – like I’ve found another family in you all and I’m so grateful for the kindness and hospitality, but I would really ask you to allow me to finally depart, I’ve been a burden long enough-“

“Dear boy do stop using that word already, you’re no burden” the grandmother protested with a light scowl and Donghae chuckled a little, walking up to bend down and hug her warmly.

“Donghae-ah”

He straightened up to turn to find Hyukjae frowning “Please don’t leave, not yet, stay a few more days and-“

“Hyukjae, I do really need to leave, I would have stayed if I could, but I have an important job interview.” He shrugged, raising a brow playfully at the sad expression Hyukjae had on his face. “Of course I’ll definitely  visit!” Donghae who was not able to face that increasingly sad expression turned around to glance over the now very familiar faces, all those faces looked rather sad and Donghae felt this odd but pleasant warmth spread in his chest.

“Oppa”

Donghae glanced down to smile sweetly at Annie “Oppa, don’t forget me, I won’t forget you” her lower lip quivered and donghae felt something in his heart break as he witnessed her eyes tearing up. Cooing he picked her up, bouncing her a bit and pressing his lips repeatedly against her cheek “Oppa can never forget Annie, in fact next time I’ll bring Annie presents!”

Mentioning it was nearly her bedtime Mrs.Lee gently took her from donghae’s arms. “Oh, where did Hyukjae go?” Donghae turned to find Hyukjae’s seat empty.

“Mentioned something about jumping off of the roof top” Kyuhyun stated matter-of-factly and then snorted at Donghae’s face “I mean mentioned about being on the rooftop if someone needed him.”

“Mhm, well uh, goodnight everyone, I’ll just tell Hyukjae bye on my way to bed.”

“He’s not good with goodbyes though” Kyuhyun leaned back to call out as Donghae proceeded to head to the roof. “He’s going to cry like a baby.”

 

“Don’t jump!” Donghae shouted as soon as he walked into the somewhat chilly night, Hyukjae who had been standing against the railing and looking up, snorted and cast a glance over his shoulder “But everyone just leaves me in the end, what’s the point of living anymore” Hyukjae sighed dramatically, playing along and feigning a forlorn look as he gazed up at the stars “Just like how you’re leaving me too.”

Donghae however, could not help but feel honesty dripping from Hyukjae’s tone, so ignoring the last sentence he stopped besides Hyukjae, slightly leaning onto the railing he studied hyukjae’s expressions. “ I came to say goodbye hyukjae”

Hyukjae noticed him watching and dropped his act, smiling he carried on “And what’s so good about goodbyes anyway?! I mean what moron came up with the term ‘good bye’ “

Donghae pursed his smiling lips “Well I heard it might stand for ‘God be with you’, it’s actually a teeny tiny little prayer and gesture of well-wishing”

Hyukjae hummed as if considering it, much to donghae’s amusement, Hyukjae finally nodded “ Okay if it means that, then fine, I’ll approve, but ugh seriously, some people just say goodbye and never show up again.”

Donghae canould not help but feel the hurt in Hyukjae’s tone, sure the guy was smiling throughout but the tone gave it away, so Donghae decided to change the topic for the meanwhile as he darted his gaze to the far edges of the sky, as much as he could view. It was dark and velvety with stars sprinkled all over “The sky is much more breath-taking; in fact the farther you go from the city the more beautiful it appears, the stars are way more clearer and brighter.”

Hyukjae croons in wonder “ Ah, so you’re a sky-watcher eh?”

“Well, I think it’s really pretty and vast and full of mysteries.”

The silence between them does not feel thick with tension anymore; in fact it’s comfortable, something new to both of them.

“Remember our first meeting?” Donghae starts with a snort and Hyukjae drawls “oh boy” followed by deep-throated chuckles as Donghae continued “I was like, what is this dude thinking acting all full of himself and talking to me like this.”

Hyukjae nodded, looking embarrassed “Yeah and you mentioned that the kiss-blowing could even be perceived as ual harassment, I just didn’t  think about that, of course different people perceive things  differently, uhm, sorry again..”

The smile donghae flashes him is new to Hyukjae, it’s bright and unrestrained and just

Breath-taking, as breath-taking as the starry sky’s beauty.

“But now that we finally began to get along…you’re leaving.” Hyukjae mumbled and scowled at the dark horizon.

The magnitude of all that had happened hit Donghae full-on in that moment. This person that donghae had previously felt like was his most disliked person, was soon turning out to be the kind that donghae considered to be his favorite people. How wrong he had been in his judgment about hyukjae and just how different Hyukjae had turned out to be, Donghae was glad he found out after all.

Unable to contain this new notion donghae says it out loud “You’re pretty much my new favorite person now, almost.” He adds jokingly at the surprised smile on Hyukjae’s face is priceless.

“Aw thanks, handsome” Hyukjae sings- songs and Donghae groans “Oh no, please, don’t start with that flirty tone and nicknames”. Hyukjae let out a dramatic evil laugh that Donghae found so contagious and hilarious; it has Donghae almost doubling over in laughter. The sounds of their laughter lingers in the silent starry night. It fades out slowly and the two decide to sit down, crossing their legs and sitting side by side their eye continue to travel from one twinkling star to another.

 A heavy sigh from Hyukjae has Donghae turning his face “What’s up with the sighing, hm? Is it the goodbye blues?” he grins and Hyukjae actually chuckles, shrugging he continues to look up at the starry sky, in that moment Hyukjae’s eyes themselves were pretty much twinkling like stars . “My- I was not always such a ruthless flirt…I did mention earlier that the love I pursued never worked, I guess that left too much of a huge impact on me, I was never able to fully trust anyone afterwards. Soon I began to find out I had a natural talent in being a deadly flirt and then it just increased till I turned into a playboy of sorts. Always playing, never meaning it, it helpled keeping me from getting hurt, but I just hurt, or offended, a lot more people.”

“..that does make sense and explains a lot too and hey it’s not like I’ve never flirted..” Donghae trailed off.

Hyukjae’s brows shot up as he grinned excitedly, wiggling his to shift position till he sat facing donghae, eyes glinting brightly “Oh, now we’re talking! Mr.Donghae actually flirts!! Tell me more!”

Donghae guffawed, feeling his cheeks warm up “It’s nothing much, I meant just uh, casual flirting while on a date with someone.”

“mhm” Looking as mischievous as ever Hukjae leaned forward keenly, elbows settled on knees and chin propped in the palm of his hand “Like how? I want a sample!” He looked like an excited kid on Christmas eve.

Donghae puffed out his cheeks as he struggled to not laugh at the naughty yet adorable expressions that Hyukjae had “Well uh, let’s suppose I’m on a date, like let’s suppose you’re my date and we are sitting…under the starry sky and…ah I can’t!” he finally relented, hiding his face in his hands out of embarrassment and laughed once Hyukjae protested and swatted at his shoulders “Oh come on Hae, ok ok, I’ll pretend to be a shy date so that it’s easier. Okay, all set!”

This did feel odd and Donghae had thought Hyukjae would react weirdly at such a suggestion, ‘pretending’ as if they were on a date. It gave the moment a rather different feel, Apparently Hyukjae thought nothing of it and was being totally cool with it.

Donghae peeked through his fingers to snort at Hyukjae who was acting his role of ‘shy date’ very well so Donghae straightened up and gazed at Hyukjae who was very patiently darting his eyes all over the place, anywhere but Donghae.

“D-do you know why I don’t need to glance up to see the stars?”

Hyukjae bit his bottom lip as he timidly asked why

“Because I don’t need to, all I need to is look into your eyes and I can see the stars in your ey-“ he was interrupted however when Hyukjae doubled-over laughing, mouth stretched open and face flushed, Donghae felt his own face heat up as he grumbled and acted like he was going to leave

“okay okay, sorry, stay!” Hyukjae gasped through his cackles “T-try another one!” Donghae grimaced but the sincere insistent look on Hyukjae’s face .

Donghae groaned but nodded “Okay, last one!”

“Yes yes okay, now go go!”

“Uhm, there’s something wrong with my phone…”

Hyukjae peered at him intently, head tilted and gummy smile in place

“..it doesn’t have your number in it”

Hyukjae stared for a few seconds and then he lost it. Laughed so hard he fell onto his back, legs kicking up and Donghae could hardly contain his laughter which was mostly out of mortification as he yelled at the laughing fool to shut his trap.

“What’s so funny!” he hollered, only fueling Hyukjae’s laughter. When Hyukjae managed to sit up, still laughing, he reached for Donghae’s phone and typed in something excitedly.

And in that moment, they felt the remnants of barriers that held them apart, break away. Their laughter freely ringing out in the night as they watched each other through watering eyes and Donghae thought it was better to hold back a certain comment about Hyukjae’s eyes and the stars.

He could truly see the stars in Hyukjae’s eyes in that moment.