Back to the Very First Steps

This Runaway Waltz

It’s difficult to find someone who genuinely likes the simplicity of you beneath all the superficial distractions. Even the most trivial factors are distractions. There is profound rarity in someone liking you regardless of the shiny medals, milestone trophies, flashy talents, and aesthetic beauty. Unfortunately, many fail to realize that these distractions can be stolen, marred, and even diminished through physical aging.

 

There’s a reason why certain people can lighten your heart by merely being with you – an invisible connection has been forged. The magic to this bond stems from the inexpressible way distractions are disregarded. They’re easily dismissed and don’t deter from the best, unhindered soul to soul interaction possible. Hour-long conversations ensue, laughter turns endless, trifling burdens vanish, and dreams become attainable. Nothing else matters beyond the two people who have mastered appreciation for one another.

 

Kai was well aware of this. He was aware of Aya’s talent in making him feel at ease. Wait, was it even a talent? Or was it chemistry between them? Regardless, Kai knew he was drawn to her since their first one-on-one interaction and up until now, his attraction only grew.

 

They weren’t exactly well-acquainted at that particular moment in time. Kai had just recently learned of Aya’s evening runs at the indoor track, which happened to be around the same hours he’d reserve his favorite dance studio for solo practice. He eventually offered to walk her home after their overlapped gym sessions. Soon it became somewhat of a tradition of theirs.

 

One day, Aya’s curiosity got the best of her. She felt satisfied with the laps she’d done and didn’t want to wear her energy out before getting to schoolwork. Aya knew Kai was a dancer, but she wasn’t aware of how “famous” he was on campus. She never got to see him dance before and didn’t know what all the fuss was about. Well, what better chance to evaluate his skills than watch him practice?

 

Aya cautiously meandered towards Kai’s practice room. As she neared the double doors, it only dawned upon her that Kai might not want unannounced spectators. Aya checked the time and seeing that it was only fifteen minutes until they’d normally end their activities to shower, she told herself it was all right to “barge in” on him.

 

The heavy beats of bass rhythm greeted her first, but what caught her attention was the figure in the middle, popping his chest at inhuman speed. Then he began gliding across the floor, and Aya marveled at how he managed to keep pirouettes elegant with such powerful music in the background. Wait, pirouettes with hip hop music?

 

Kai finally noticed the welcomed intruder when he checked his posture in the mirrors. He dropped his arms and turned to face her. “Aya,” he stated. She nodded her head in answer, but when Kai turned off the music, she blurted out the first thought that came to mind.

 

“Wait,” she started. Kai swiped his towel across his forehead before lifting his eyebrows at her. “You should keep going.”

 

He laughed, “You like watching guys sweat?”

 

Aya rolled her eyes and replied, “No, I wanna see what takes up your time here at the gym. It’s entertaining to watch, compared to my bland sessions of running.” When all she got was a smirk, Aya pressed on, “Just do some freestyle routine or something. No need to impress me, I just want a sample.”

 

As Kai hovered his finger above the “on” switch, he announced with confidence, “Sure thing. But I can’t promise that you won’t be impressed.”

 

Right before Kai flicked the switch for the music, Aya felt a switch flicker in her heart after his remark. Do girls swoon over his dancing, or his confidence?

 

“Hey,” Kai snapped in synchronization with his fingers, calling her back to the moment at hand. “Pay attention, you’re the one who requested this.” Aya sniffed at the air with a pout at his comment and aimed her focus at him.

 

Only three steps into the performance and her breath was stolen.

 

Not a single movement was wasted. Every bit of his being was melded into one motion across the dance floor. She was mesmerized. Then her eyes wandered to his face. And her heart came undone.

 

There was finesse in even his facial expressions. His eyes relaxed half-lidded during the calmer segments and his eyebrows lifted in arrogance during heavy chest ing. Inhalations were eased into his lungs, while exhalations were graciously puffed out in steady breaths – prolonging the alluring way his lips parted.

 

Aya didn’t even have time to register the end of Kai’s performance until he effortlessly moved towards her. He stopped right in front of her, positioning them face to face. Finally, she blinked when he brushed a stray strand of hair away from her face. “So, is your curiosity sated, kitty cat?” Kai breathed. “I only asked you to pay attention, but you were staring pretty hard.”

 

Aya blinked again, unperturbed by his comments. She was mostly amazed at his physical expertise; she was proud of her running capabilities, sure, but Kai’s controlled exertion of energy astounded her. This much movement would probably make her nauseous. “Do you get enough daily rest to work this hard whenever you come here to practice?”

 

Kai was the one to thoughtfully blink this time. What? Isn’t she supposed to comment on what I just presented?

 

“Do you get enough protein? Hydration? Honestly, I get kind of annoyed with how our seniors would vocally worry about you, but now I understand. I mean, Chanyeol practically talks all the time, but even Kris and Kyungsoo? How tired does all this dancing make you?” Kai was beyond confused. He was so absorbed in his confusion that he didn’t even notice Aya walk off to grab his bag and water bottle. Then she returned to place his bag by his feet and pushed the water bottle towards him. “Here,” she urged. “Empty this out and then we’ll get out of here so you can get some rest at home.”

 

Slowly grasping Aya’s abrupt act of kindness, Kai fulfilled her demand. As soon as he finished the last drop, he began, “Didn’t you like what I just-“

 

“I’m sorry I asked you to perform for me,” Aya interrupted as she made her way to the double doors. “If that’s how hard you dance for performances, you probably dance harder for practice sessions. You’ve been here for hours and were already panting heavily when I walked in.”

 

Kai couldn’t believe it. Most others ranted about his dance and Aya ranted about his health. It was even her first time ever watching him! “But didn’t you like what I showed you?” he asked. Aside from her thoughtfulness, it slightly worried him that the array of dance skills he crammed into a freestyle routine didn’t win at least some of her approval.

 

At Kai’s inquiry, Aya turned to completely face him. She was inwardly amused; Kai was sweating and it wasn’t from his performance. She noted his eager patience and decided to playfully take her time to evaluate her opinion. Like he arrogantly announced beforehand, it wasn’t hard to be impressed by him. After a few seconds, she smiled at Kai with newfound respect.

 

He darted after her as she put her hand on the door. “No, really,” he urged with his eyes. “I want to know what you thought of it. Tell me what you’re thinking.”

 

Aya bit back another smile before turning her head towards Kai to plainly say, “No wonder all the girls think you’re attractive.”


OMG 14 total subscribers up to April 28, 2014 (the day I legitimately logged back in, cause I don't properly log off for lazy convenience)??!?!?!!!! This is a really great welcome back present; thank you to the loyals who are royals and newbies who are cuties ^-^ Anyway, I've been temporarily gone due to keeping up with college stuff... But I WILL NOT forget this story and have actually been steadily planning future chapters, etc. Thank you all again for the support, and pikrachu for this super cool trailer (link is on the foreword section, cause I currently don't know any better TT-TT)!! I really am so touched with all the work you've gifted me and your sincere appreciation for this story of mine xD