Boys With The Broken Halos

Guernica

Yongguk stopped the truck a couple miles from the border between District 4 and District 1. The rest of the members looked amongst each other, confusion on all their faces.
 
"Bbang? Himchan called out. "Yongguk, why'd we stop?"
 
"When we leave the truck in the palace, we can't leave Junhong inside," Yongguk explained.
 
"Are you saying to leave him here?" Himchan asked incredulously. "Couldn't we have done this somewhere else?"
 
Yongguk was silent for a moment. Youngjae noticed how tightly Yongguk gripped the steering wheel. When he spoke again, his voice came out stern. "Everybody out. Now. Himchan, take Junhong out of the bag."
 
Youngjae chanced a glimpse at Daehyun before they headed out. Daehyun looked at Youngjae like he was about to say something, his mouth slightly ajar and eyes full of shame, but nothing came out. His mouth snapped shut, and he looked down at the ground as he got out of the truck.
 
When Youngjae hopped out of the truck, he realized that Yongguk had pulled to the side of a deserted road. A gentle breeze blew from the side. It was peaceful, nothing like the chaos back in the city. Forests surrounded the road, and Yongguk signaled for the other members to follow him.
 
Not a word was said as they tread through the underbrush. Junhong was motionless in Himchan's arms, and if Youngjae didn't think about it too much, he would have thought Junhong was just asleep; Youngjae did his best to ignore the lasershot that marred Junhong's forehead peeking from behind his hair.
 
They entered a clearing, rays of sunlight poking through the gaps between leaves. The air was crisp and clear, the sound wildlife echoing all around them. It was as if they were back in the clearing by the bunker.
 
Yongguk suddenly stopped and surveyed the area. He nodded to himself, and turned to Himchan. "This is good. Place Junhong in the middle."
 
"We're just gonna leave him here?" Daehyun asked. There was an edge of anger in his voice, but Yongguk held up a hand.
 
Daehyun closed his mouth. Himchan slowly laid Junhong on a soft patch of grass. Yongguk took a lighter out of his pocket.
 
"We're going to burn him?" Jongup asked. He sounded afraid, and never in Youngjae's life did he think he'd hear Jongup sound scared.
 
"We can't let the Republic have him. Not again," Yongguk replied. "This will be Junhong's funeral."
 
An air of sorrow shrouded the group as Himchan stepped beside Yongguk. Youngjae felt his eyes begin to well with tears.
 
"To Junhong," Yongguk said, but it was so close to a whisper, Youngjae barely heard it.
 
Yongguk held the lighter to Junhong's tattered clothing, the material catching fire easily. It wasn't long before Junhong was engulfed in the yellow flames. The longer Youngjae stared, and the more he drew back into his memories of Junhong, the more he began to hate the color yellow. He hated how the images of Junhong jumped from insignificant details when they lived in New Seoul to when they lived in the bunker, hated how Junhong's laughter echoed through the recesses of his mind, hated how Junhong glowed with elation whenever he grinned, hated how Junhong always oozed enthusiasm and happiness with his every step.
 
The scent of burnt metal and synthetic skin quickly filled the air, and a black column of smoke began to rise higher than the trees. The heat curled towards Youngjae's face, warming his cheeks and stinging his eyes.
 
When Youngjae felt gloved fingers intertwine with his, he turned to look, and found tears rolling down Daehyun's face. Youngjae blinked, and felt his own tears fall onto his cheeks. He didn't bother to wipe them away.
 
In the corner of his eyes, Youngjae saw Himchan wrap his arms around Yongguk and Jongup's shoulders. Jongup trembled as silent sobs wracked his body. Yongguk stood, paralyzed, but Youngjae could only imagine what was going through his mind.
 
Youngjae wasn't sure how long they all stood there mourning Junhong, but eventually, Yongguk in a deep breath. "We should get going before somebody sees us."
 
Everybody nodded, reluctantly turning away from the fire. Youngjae took longer as he tried to compose himself. Daehyun squeezed Youngjae's hand. He looked at Daehyun, who smiled gently.
 
"I'm sorry," Daehyun whispered. He looked lost, his eyes darting around and searching for an answer in Youngjae's eyes that neither of them seemed to know. "I just... And Junhong... I'm..." He took in a long breath, his words lost, and Youngjae waited.
 
Daehyun let go of Youngjae's hand, and pulled him into an embrace. Their armor clanked, awkward and bulky as Daehyun tried to wrap his arms around Youngjae. Youngjae blinked away tears, and let out a choked laugh; it died on the way out of his lips.
 
"So many ty things are happening, and I'm... I'm sorry, Jae," Daehyun mumbled. He pressed his forehead against Youngjae's. "I still love you."
 
Youngjae looked into Daehyun's eyes, finding them bright and unreadable, and yet they seemed to lead all the way into infinity. He couldn't say anything; through his muddled mind, he felt the tiniest bit of relief seep into his mind. Youngjae smiled, albeit weakly, and Daehyun did the same.
 
"Hey, lover boys, let's get moving again," Yongguk called out.
 
Youngjae and Daehyun looked up, and found the others already out of the clearing. They let go of each other, their hands still connected, and began walking away from the fire.
 
Youngjae glanced back at Junhong, but all he saw was the melting metal corpse of an android engulfed in hungry flames.
 
//
 
The truck didn't have any windows inside, just the windshield and windows on the driver's and passenger's sides. Youngjae didn't know where they were until they stopped at a soldier checkpoint gate. They'd put on their helmets before they left the side of the road (and threw the other soldiers out the back several minutes before), but Youngjae felt that the soldiers at the gate would be able to see right through the tinted glass.
 
"What's your business here? Shouldn't you be in New Seoul?" the soldier asked as Yongguk rolled down his window.
 
Yongguk shook his head. "Madame Hyosung summoned us."
 
The soldier shrugged, opening the gate. "Okay, whatever."
 
Yongguk nodded at the soldier, and drove past the gate, rolling up the window. "Once we get off at the docking zone, shut up and don't talk to anybody. If somebody speaks to you... ing... I don't know, grunt and keep walking."
 
"As elequently put by Guernica leader Bang Yongguk," Himchan said, and he was given soft chuckles in response.
 
"Yeah, alright, just get ready," Yongguk said, pulling up to a loading dock.
 
//
 
Tension slithered into every one of Youngjae's limbs as they walked down the corridors. Their footsteps hit the polished marble floor with loud taps. He found himself stumbling several times, only to be picked back up by somebody beside him; he didn't even know who was beside him, though. As the marched in silence, nobody stopped them, and an occasional soldier even nodded in greeting; Yongguk did the same.
 
They suddenly stopped, Youngjae nearly bumping into whoever was in front of him, and Yongguk faced a door
 
"Here," Yongguk announced, his voice resounding in Youngjae's earpiece. It wasn't hard to notice that his voice had startled everybody. "Daehyun, do you have the camera?"
 
"Jongup has it," Daehyun replies, and the figure with a canvas knapsack nodded.
 
"Let's go," Yongguk said, pushing the door open.
 
They walked into an empty room just as large as the one Youngjae was in mere hours before. Tall windows stretched to the ceiling, elegant glass chandeliers hung precariously high. They shuffled further inside as Himchan pulled the door shut behind him. Jongup had stopped to reach for the camera in the knapsack.
 
"Is that thing working?" Yongguk asked Jongup.
 
After Jongup had switched on the camera, a blue light flickered on, signaling that it was currently broadcasting to the news station.
 
"Let me see it," Youngjae said, removing his helmet. "I can probably reprogram it to broadcast across the entire nation."
 
Several minutes later, Youngjae had amplified the signal just enough to do just what he'd promised. It may have not been as effective as using the tranciever watches, but it would have to do.
 
Jongup shouldered the camera, nodding to Yongguk.
 
"Citizens of Korea," Yongguk started, throwing his helmet to the ground, "Guernica lives. The revolution isn't dead. Together, we've achieved the first step to freedom, but the second step involves the death of Madame Hyosung."
 
Youngjae could just imagine the citizens' shouts.
 
"Well, isn't this lovely," a withering voice wheezed.
 
Everybody spun around to find the source of the voice, and found a frail old woman hobbling towards them.
 
"Wha— Who are you?" Yongguk asked. He'd reached for a gun, but began to slowly ease his arm back to his side as the woman came closer.
 
"The woman you extremists wish to kill," the woman replied. She stopped, coughing into a handkerchief, and when she pulled her hand back, Youngjae thought he caught a glimpse of blood.
 
"You can't be Madame Hyosung," Daehyun exclaimed.
 
Youngjae stared in complete shock. Daehyun was right. The woman before them looked like a pitiful grandmother instead of the intimidating leader. But...there were similarities that Youngjae couldn't deny seeing.
 
"Are you getting this?" Himchan muttered to Jongup, who hummed in affirmation.
 
"Yoo Youngjae," the supposed Madame Hyosung called out, but it came out a struggled wheeze.
 
Youngjae began to move forward, but Daehyun stopped him, placing a firm hand on his shoulder. He looked at Daehyun, but gently pried the fingers off.
 
"What is it?" Youngjae asked.
 
As he walked closer, more and more of Madame Hyosung's details became clearer. Her eyes were horribly bloodshot, her skin was pale, bones jutted out at sharp angles, her clothes hung off her frame as if they were twice her actual size.
 
The image before him contrasted so sharply with the image he'd held of Madame Hyosung his entire life that he almost believed it couldn't be her.
 
"The nanotechnology inside of you right now, Youngjae, is not part of an experiment to find the path to immortality. It's to find a method of stopping the excessive multiplication of the robots inside of me." Madame Hyosung seemed out of breath, her puny chest heaving just slightly.
 
Youngjae blinked, waiting for Madame Hyosung to elaborate because he knew there had to more to be explained.
 
"Nanotechnology is a feat that was just barely touched upon in the Old World, but even now we are still attempting to harness its capabilities. I volunteered myself to aid the experiments, but technology and time are cruel." Madame Hyosung paused again to take a breath. "After an extended period of time with the robots inside me, they began to multiply uncontrollably, yet they continued to repair the damage they'd done on me at the same rate."
 
Youngjae realized where Madame Hyosung was heading. This was why she looked the way she did. "You're at an equilibrium between life and death."
 
Madame Hyosung nodded.
 
"You put those things inside Youngjae for your own purpose?" Daehyun asked, fury dripping off his every word. "You're looking for a cure to something you brought upon yourself? What if Youngjae ends up like you?"
 
Youngjae glanced behind him at Daehyun. It hadn't occurred to Youngjae that he might end up like Madame Hyosung. He faced her again; that was terrifying.
 
"This is my last attempt, but, Youngjae, come with me and we'll find a way to stop them," Madame Hyosung said. "You can return to your family again. You'll be a normal young man again."
 
Youngjae stared at Madame Hyosung, stared into her sunken eyes, stared at her sickly pallor, stared at her grotesque figure, and couldn't help feeling disgusted by her. By her actions. By the country she led.
 
"Youngjae?" Daehyun called out, doubt in his voice.
 
Gritting his teeth, Youngjae took a step back. He didn't have any other family except Guernica.
 
A hint of a smile pulled Madame Hyosung's lips up. "If that's what you choose, then please. I request that you kill me. I've seen my share of this world, and I'm tired."
 
Youngjae stared. Somebody tapped his shoulder, and he turned to find Yongguk handing him a gun.
 
"I can't," Youngjae whispered as his hand wrapped around the grip. His hands shook, but he didn't know why. He looked up at Madame Hyosung; she stared at him expectantly.
 
"It won't be long before a Legion platoon comes in," Madame Hyosung said.
 
Youngjae gulped, raising the gun to aim at Madame Hyosung's chest. He lined up his sights, but his hand still shook. He could feel the others watching him. The entire nation was watching as well.
 
But this was what all their plans had led up to.
 
Youngjae's finger wrapped around the trigger, pulling it ever so slowly.
 
"This is for Junhong and everybody who's fallen victim under your reign," Youngjae said.
 
The bang that resounded around the room was deafening, bouncing across the walls.
 
As Madame Hyosung's body crumpled to the floor, the doors behind them slammed open.
 
"The windows!" Yongguk shouted as soldiers stormed in.
 
"Youngjae!" Daehyun shouted, his voice rising above the chaos.
 
It was a flurry of motion and adrenaline and panic that swept Youngjae up. They ran for the windows as lasers shot past their heads. It was Yongguk who crashed into the window, the shattering glass raining down on him and Himchan. Youngjae, Daehyun, and Jongup's footsteps crunched as they pushed out of the room.
 
"Get them!" a soldier ordered.
 
Panicked breaths. Frantic steps. Harsh shouts. A rush of greenery. Daehyun's back.
 
When a laser hit Jongup's back, he crashed to the ground, wisps of white smoke floating from the burn mark.
 
"Jongup, come on!" Daehyun urged, taking Jongup's arm. Youngjae took Jongup's other arm. "We're not leaving you!"
 
"I'm fine!" Jongup urged. He winced before he stood up, and began running again
 
They ran for what seemed like forever, following Yongguk through twists and turns. Youngjae felt his lungs heaving, his throat burning, his legs deteriorating with each heavy step, his exposed skin aching from being whipped by countless branches and leaves.
 
Somehow, they'd managed to lose some platoons, but navigating the palace was the tricky part.
 
"," Yongguk suddenly muttered. He came to a stop, and when he turned around, he had a devastated look on his face. "It's a dead end."
 
The feeling that slammed into Youngjae nearly knocked the rest of his breath out of him. This couldn't be the end. He stared at the stone wall, the climbing ivy mocking them.
 
"Get to the ground!"
 
Youngjae turned around, ice cold fear replacing the hot, explosive adrenaline in his veins.
 
"Now!"
 
Youngjae dropped to his knees, as did the other members.
 
//
 
They were loaded in the back of a Legion truck, cramped and pressed together as three Legion soldiers sat to guard them on the way back to District 4. There was no doubt in Youngjae's mind that they were going to be executed in front of the entire nation.
 
Yongguk had the most restraints out of all of them; there were cuffs on both his hands and feet. Youngjae almost wasn't surprised. As a former soldier, Yongguk was seen as the most dangerous.
 
As the truck began to drive out of the loading docks, Youngjae leaned on Daehyun's shoulder. Youngjae closed his eyes as Daehyun pressed his lips to the top of Youngjae's head.
 
Youngjae felt a hesitant resignation wash over him. Everybody else had seemingly done the same.
 
What would the citizens do? With the Empress dead, would they overpower the Legion? Would they complete what Guernica started?
 
//
 
The execution center had apparently been swarmed by angry citizens because as they approached the building, Youngjae could hear muffled shouts come from outside; there were several bangs that sounded as if somebody was pounding on the truck. Movement had slowed until it came to an eventual stop. Had word of their execution gotten around?
 
One of the soldiers opened the partition between the front and the back. The shouts were louder up front. "Hey, isn't there anybody out there to clear this shot up?"
 
"I just called in," the driver reported.
 
The soldier nodded, and closed the partition.
 
A minute passed. Another sound. Several bangs in rapid succession like a staccato beat.
 
The shouts and pounding abruptly stopped.
 
It didn't take long for Youngjae to realize what had happened. As the truck began to roll along again, the deafening silence that filled the space was unbearable.
 
Several minutes later, they stopped again. The back doors opened, and they were herded out like sheep. Citizens shoved themselves against the soldiers acting as a barrier in the walkway, screaming and shouting for Guernica's release. In the past days, Guernica had become the symbol of the nation's freedom; it was right in their faces, Guernica just made it visible.
 
The soldiers urged Youngjae and the others forward, ray guns pressing into their backs. They were led into a massive room with several staircases leading up to the glass cases where the actual executions would take place.  
 
Youngjae wondered if their executions were disguised as a last ditch effort to quell the rebellion. Just by one look down at the furious crowd, he could tell it was already too late. This would only fuel the growing flames until it destroyed everything.
 
"Any last words?" one of the soldiers asked.
 
Youngjae glanced at Daehyun, and that was all it took.
 
"I'm sorry," Daehyun mumbled, bringing his cuffed hands up to Youngjae's face. "I love you."
 
A knot had lodged in Youngjae's throat, and he found himself unable to speak. Looking into Daehyun's eyes made that resignation in his mind turn into something he was still willing to fight for. Youngjae felt a familiar sting in his eyes at the futility of it all.
 
"I love you, too," Youngjae managed to choke out.
 
This couldn't be what all their work amounted to. How anti-climatic.
 
Youngjae glanced to Yongguk for some form of plan to escape, but he simply smiled faintly like a father would at his sons. Himchan took a deep breath, looking to the ground, but Youngjae could tell that he was about to cry. Jongup shuffled awkwardly on his feet, patting Himchan's trembling shoulder.
 
"Alright. Enough," the soldier announced. "That's enough."
 
Yongguk's smile transformed into something more malevolent as he shouted, "Omega!"
 
In that moment, Daehyun's fist connected with the soldier's throat.
 
The soldier glared at Daehyun, clutching his throat. "You mo—"
 
Youngjae kicked the soldier in the shin, and he stumbled to the ground.
 
Himchan took care of the second soldier while Jongup tackled the third soldier. Both were knocked unconscious within seconds.
 
Before any other soldiers came rushing in, Himchan grabbed the keys from the soldier's pocket. He unlocked Yongguk first, then the others, and Jongup unlocked Himchan's cuffs. Himchan took the ray gun from the second soldier's holster, and handed it to Daehyun.
 
"You're a better shot than I am," Himchan said.
 
Daehyun nodded.
 
"Everybody. On me. We'll be heading out the back door," Yongguk said as he picked up another ray gun.
 
A swarm of soldiers came in, each brandishing their own weapon, but Guernica was already down the opposite hall.
 
//
 
The execution center was smaller than it looked on the outside. The back door led out into an alleyway.
 
They'd shed the armor, the sound of it falling echoing against the narrow walls. As they approached the main street, Youngjae saw that the mob had gotten more uncontrollable, their shouts more incomprehensible. The rage was almost tangible. Youngjae could feel his heart beating faster with each step they took closer.
 
Yongguk stopped at the entrance of the alley, analyzing the crowd, and the smile that spread across his face was similar to Zico's.
 
"Hey, isn't that Guernica?" a voice asked. "They're free."
 
Suddenly, excited murmurs of "Guernica is free" and "They escaped" spread among the people. Youngjae felt pride well in his chest as recognition flickered across every citizen's face. Soon every citizen around them was facing them, silent and expectant.
 
Yongguk raised a fist in the air, shouting, "Fight for freedom!"
 
The response was instantaneously deafening. Yongguk plunged into the crowd, the mass morphing and contorting to let him through. It wasn't long before Himchan and Jongup dove in as well.
 
Youngjae glanced at Daehyun, and Daehyun did the same, smiling widely as he took Youngjae's hand. Youngjae let out a laugh as they followed Yongguk, Himchan, and Jongup.
 
Despite their hardships, despite everything pushing against them, they would fight until their dying breath.


A/N: Well, cheesy ending aside. Guernica is finally done! Thanks to all of you that read and enjoyed this fic as much as I enjoyed writing it. When I began this, I never expected to get as many subs as it did, but I'm grateful and glad to have shared this experience with all of you. As stupid as this sounds, you guys are awesome.

Here lay my final thoughts, I guess. Inspiration mainly came from their second mini album, Power, the Danger Days concept by My Chemical Romance, and Picasso's Guernica. I know this fic isn't without its flaws (I've actually never written anything this big before), but I still like how this turned out.

Thanks again to everybody who stuck around until the very end! <3

Thanks for reading / subscribing / commenting~