Never Been So Surreptitious

Guernica

Daehyun and Youngjae reached the van before too many people were on the streets. The van was parked at the same curb, and Youngjae didn't think he'd be so happy to see it. Without even realizing, the both of them were running. Daehyun knocked on the window a couple times with a grin on his face. When Youngjae looked through the window, he saw Yongguk jerk awake and reach for his handgun.
 
It took Yongguk a moment to register the sight before him, and a look of immense relief replaced his panic and shock. His voice came out muffled through the window. "Holy , you guys are alive! Get inside, hurry up!"
 
Youngjae circled around to the back while Daehyun opened the passenger side door.
 
"An entire ing night!" Yongguk exclaimed once Daehyun and Youngjae were inside. He started up the engine and pulled away from the curb. "How the hell are you guys not dead?"
 
"We hid behind a dumpster the whole night," Youngjae replied.
 
"Christ," Yongguk muttered. Angry now, he exclaimed, "Do you know how many Legion patrols I counted last night? Six. ing six! You guys got so ing lucky!"
 
Youngjae gulped, sinking a little further into his seat as Yongguk continued to fume.
 
"If it makes you feel better, we brought breakfast," Daehyun stated, taking out a roll of bread from one of his pockets and handed it to Yongguk.
 
Yongguk glanced at the roll before focusing back on the road. "Where...?"
 
"A bakery," Youngjae said before Daehyun could.
 
Yongguk took the roll out of Daehyun's hand, and bit into it. "This is pretty good."
 
"Right?" Daehyun agreed.
 
Yongguk waved the bread at Daehyun as if he was threatening the younger. "I'm still mad at you guys, though. I think I had about ten years shaved off my life."
 
"Sorry...," Daehyun mumbled. He brought up another roll of bread to his mouth.
 
Yongguk sighed. "Okay, so we lost a day because of that incident, but we're sticking to the plan. All we're getting is perishables and ammo anyway."
 
Youngjae laid down on the floor of the van, using his duffel bag as a pillow, letting the drive lull him to sleep.
 
//
 
Their next stop was a warehouse. Youngjae stared, and, even though it was dark, it looked obviously abandoned.
 
"This place doesn't really...look like it's been used in a while," Youngjae said as he hopped out of the van. He followed Yongguk and Daehyun out of the parking lot.
 
"It's our number one ammo supplier," Yongguk answered.
 
Youngjae looked from Yongguk to the warehouse, then back to Yongguk again. There was no way a warehouse in disrepair was their number one ammo supplier.
 
"We can't get ammo anywhere else since Old World firearms are illegal," Daehyun explained. "There's a group who produces and sells ammo. And sometimes rifles if the leader manages to get his hands on some. He's a little, uh..."
 
"Insane," Yongguk turned to look at Youngjae with a mischievous smirk. "To be blunt. The entire group is weird, though."
 
Youngjae blinked. Just what did this group look like? But... If they were trusted by Yongguk, they must have been good, right?
 
As they walked closer to the warehouse's entrance, Youngjae saw a faint glow of light coming from under the doors. A streetlamp sat some feet away, overpowering the dim light from under the door, but there was definitely somebody inside that warehouse.
 
Yongguk walked up to the door, knocked several times in a pattern, and waited.
 
There was the sound of footsteps, a loud banging, and then a voice. "Who the —"
 
"Bang Yongguk."
 
The door swung open, revealing a young man with platinum blonde hair in dreads and a single striking white iris––not both irises, just one. Youngjae couldn't help but stare in intimidated amazement; he realized that it felt a lot like meeting Yongguk, but with less fear and more amazement this time.
 
"Well, Bang Yongguk, it's always a pleasure to have you come by and visit." The man holding the door open smiled, and stepped aside, bowing a bit as Yongguk, Daehyun, and Youngjae walked inside.
 
"Likewise, Zico," Yongguk replied, following the young man, Zico, through the warehouse. "What do you have this time?"
 
"Oh, you know, the usual," Zico said with a shrug. He spun around with a proud smile on his face. "I picked up an assault rifle earlier this month. It's in pretty decent condition, too. Don't know if it's useable, though."
 
Yongguk turned to Daehyun and Youngjae. "You two go see if we can get anything." Yongguk turned back to Zico, and spoke about things Youngjae had no knowledge about with terms he also didn't know.
 
Daehyun tugged on Youngjae's arm away from Yongguk and Zico. "Ammo is this way."
 
Youngjae followed, but he was too preoccupied with the thought that Zico looked familiar. But why? Youngjae was absolutely sure he'd never seen Zico before; he'd remember someone with blonde dreads and different colored eyes. He must have seen a picture of Zico somewhere. On an advertisement? No...
 
Youngjae scoured through his mind, trying to match Zico's face with anything he'd seen, anybody he'd met, but came up with nothing.
 
"You look like you're thinking too hard again," Daehyun stated.
 
Youngjae blinked. He was standing in front of a table laden with ammunition, bows and arrows, knives. Daehyun stood beside him, not examining the merchandise, but looking at Youngjae.
 
"What's up?"
 
"I feel like I've seen Zico somewhere before...," Youngjae whispered, glancing over his shoulder to look at Yongguk and Zico admiring the rifle at another table.
 
Daehyun let out a snort, and Youngjae diverted his attention. "Zico, actually no, his entire group's, wanted by the Republic. They extorted money from Republic officials, supposedly stole the Empress's diamonds, killed around twenty Legion soldiers, a whole bunch of crazy . You probably saw him on a wanted poster or something like that. They're all constantly changing appearances, so Zico probably doesn't look what he used to when you last saw him."
 
"Oh my God." Youngjae remembered now. He'd seen Zico's face in a message sent by the Republic maybe five years ago—Youngjae was in high school, and frankly didn't care at the time—but Zico did have a vastly different appearance then; two dark eyes that sent a message of immense carelessness, brown hair with shaved sides, a fringe hanging over his forehead. Youngjae turned to Daehyun with his mouth hanging wide open; Daehyun laughed. "You're kidding, right?"
 
"Sup, s?"
 
Daehyun and Youngjae looked for the source of the voice, and found a young man with a smirk on his face. His hair was a mess of red curls, and a scar ran from his eye all the way down his cheek.
 
"Kyung," Daehyun greeted with a curt smile. "What've you got for us today?"
 
Kyung motioned to the products on the table. "Well, I know how you like your .45 caliber. There's that right there. And we have some 9 millimeter, but I think Himchan is more into that, right?"
 
As Daehyun looked at the ammunition offered to him, Kyung turned his attention to Youngjae.
 
"I don't think I've seen you before," Kyung stated, squinting at Youngjae. "What's your name?"
 
"Youngjae."
 
"Lovely name," Kyung said with a smile. His scar bent and contorted with his cheek. "I'm Kyung. Nice to meet you."
 
"You too," Youngjae said.
 
"Where's everybody else?" Daehyun asked, temporarily looking up from the array of ammo.
 
Kyung shrugged. "Sleeping their asses off. Jaehyo's probably ing someone, though. You know him."
 
Daehyun nodded. He took out his wallet, handed Kyung a couple bills, and scooped several boxes of ammo off the table. He handed some to Youngjae when he realized he couldn't hold everything. "I'll be taking these."
 
"Always nice doin' business with ya," Kyung replied with a slight bow.
 
"You two! Come here!" Yongguk called out across the room. When Daehyun and Youngjae reached him, he said, "We'll be sleeping here tonight."
 
Youngjae looked around himself, but found no suitable places to sleep. Couldn't they just...stay in the van? He leaned towards Daehyun, and whispered, "Where exactly will we be sleeping?"
 
"Up." Daehyun nodded upward, and Youngjae already looked up, but he still didn't think they could really sleep comfortably anywhere.
 
Zico led the three of them up a flight of stairs and into a room with two beds.
 
"Hmm, sorry it's a bit small, but it's all we have right now," Zico said as he flipped on a light.
 
The room wasn't very large, and didn't allow for much leg room between the three of them, but it was manageable. Daehyun pulled back a curtain in front of a window that overlooked the parking lot outside, and they had a clear view of their van.
 
Yongguk flopped down on the bed, and took out his phone. After a few seconds, he began speaking in a hushed tone.
 
"Aren't you tired?" Daehyun asked as he drew the curtains closed again.
 
Youngjae sat on the foot of the bed as Daehyun laid down on the opposite side. "I kinda slept the entire ride here..."
 
Daehyun shrugged. "True. You should try to get some sleep, though."
 
"Yeah." Youngjae leaned against the footboard, and Daehyun stretched his legs on Youngjae's right side.
 
"Where are you guys right now?" Yongguk asked quietly. He must have been talking to either Himchan, Jongup, or Junhong.
 
Youngjae laid down, turning away from Daehyun's feet, and closed eyes as he attempted to sleep.
 
//
 
"Rise and shine, buttercup."
 
Youngjae blinked his eyes, trying to wake himself up. Yongguk and Daehyun were already awake and getting ready to leave.
 
"What time is it?" Youngjae asked, stretching his limbs and feeling them crack.
 
"Time for you to get your up," Daehyun said. He hit Youngjae's stomach, playing it like a drum, and Youngjae grunted, flailing his arms slightly to make Daehyun stop.
 
Youngjae sat up with a yawn. "What the heck are you...?"
 
"He woke up with your foot in his mouth," Yongguk explained with an amused smirk.
 
"And that is the last time we're sleeping like that," Daehyun added sternly.
 
Youngjae lifted his foot up and wiggled his toes. "Did you like kissing these babies?"
 
Daehyun made a disgusted face, and exited the room. Youngjae quickly pulled on his jacket and shoes before following him out.
 
The warehouse was still just as quiet as last night, and because the sun was now out, the entire place seemed friendlier, but not by much. Zico was there to greet them as they walked down the stairs. He sat by a table, reading a newspaper.
 
"Good morning," Yongguk said with a nod of his head.
 
"Hey," Zico answered, taking a sip of some hot drink. "You guys heading out now?"
 
Yongguk nodded.
 
Zico stood up, and stretched. He grabbed three bags from the table, an handed one each to Yongguk, Daehyun, and Youngjae.
 
"Breakfast," Zico informed them. He leaned closer, and whispered, "I think it was Kyung who brought it in this morning. It should be pretty decent, though."
 
Yongguk opened his bag, and let out a laugh. "Thanks, Zico. We'll be back."
 
Zico did a mock Legion salute, laughed when Yongguk glared at him, and waved as the three of them walked out of the warehouse.
 
As they walked to the van, Youngjae looked inside the bag. He reached in, and pulled out a single egg, staring at it dumbfoundedly. "What..."
 
Daehyun stared at the egg in Youngjae's hand, and let out a laugh. "A ing egg!"
 
"It's probably hard-boiled," Yongguk said. He took out his egg, and tapped it against the van's hood several times.
 
Within seconds, though, they realized that it wasn't. The egg oozed out of Yongguk's hand and onto the floor. Daehyun and Youngjae looked at each other, then at Yongguk, and started laughing.
 
"Okay, let's go," Yongguk grumbled as he shook the remnants of the egg off his hand.
 
"A mothering egg," Daehyun muttered to Youngjae as they loaded into the van.
 
//
 
The following week went by relatively smoothly.
 
They managed to gather a considerable amount of food and other things—namely medical supplies and more weaponry. Yongguk checked in with the other members daily, and found out that they were already on their way back to the bunker. Considering they traveled farther, it was understandable.
 
As the days passed, the space in the back of the van grew smaller and smaller. They'd arranged a sort of rotation between them: Yongguk and Daehyun took turns driving (Youngjae didn't know how to drive), and Youngjae sat in the passenger seat every other day.
 
"Alright, boys, this is our last stop," Yongguk announced as he pulled up to a curb beside a grocery store. "We're just getting food. You know the drill. Grab whatever you can hold. We'll meet up back here in fifteen minutes. If one of us isn't back after ten minutes, we leave."
 
Daehyun and Youngjae nodded in unison, shouldering the backpacks.
 
All three of them exited the van, and they strode to the store. Youngjae hacked the alarms, and fed a continuous loop to the security cameras. Once they were inside, they split up.


A/N: Well, I've split this into 2 separate chapters because I thought screw the rules.

Thanks for reading / subscribing / commenting~