Ash Like Snow

Ash Like Snow

 

 

 

 

 

Was I only the survivor? Coughing spasmodically, I peered through the darkness and the sight that I saw sent shivers down my spine.

There were still figures on the pavements, road kerbs and even in stalled vehicles.

Moving vehicles had lifeless faces and miserable looks. Eyes were listless and bodies looked numb.

They looked dead but they were not. They were like living dead or dead living. Ouh…I could not tell the difference.

I was mesmerized by the scene before my eyes. This was my very first experience.

Such a situation had never happened to me before.

What had happened??

Then it hit me like a thunderbolt.

The Environmental Department had pitched the Air Index at Orange two hours ago. All citizens had been warned to stay indoors and not venture outdoors for Orange meant Be Prepared.

The level could go to Red and Red would be when all hell break lose.

The world had become horribly polluted that the populace had to be prepared for any eventuality when the oxygen level would spell death for those without an adequate supply of oxygen.

The United Government had contingency plans in such an event. Oxygen drills and practices had been carried out.

Some people took them seriously, others were nonchalant.

I was sceptical but I was law-abiding citizen so I was somewhat prepared.

It was unfortunate that I had gone on a work assignment to the other side of town and it would take me four hours to get back to the safety of my home.

I had my mini oxygen device with me which would only ensure a three-hour oxygen supply.

At Orange Alert, no train would stop to pick up passengers. One had to be at the ‘Safe Station’ Pick-up Point.

It was one mishaps that could only occur once in a blue moon. Within an hour Orange, the Air Index hovered at Red.

I was within five minutes of Heaven Point when the sky turned into a swirling mass of darkness. Everyone panicked and ran blindly in all directions.

 The chaotic scenes of people running, firing in the air plus their bodies covered with black powder. It was a gruesome sight.

Then, I was knocked down by the mass of human bodies.

When I managed to steady myself, it was still dark and my first thought was,

“This is the end!!!”

The sight of the prostrate bodies numbed my thoughts and limbs until I heard a concerned voice,

“Come, Mister….share my tank. I have two masks.”

I peered in the smog and saw an outstretched hand of a man with a face mask.

Thankfully, I put out my hand and together we breathed in the unpolluted man-made oxygen.

We were the only two survivors that day when the polluted city was on Red.