Twinkle on, my star

Salted stars

 

That night, there is a thunderstorm.

One of the worst thunderstorms of the year, according to weather reports. And it is that night, when Hyukjae receives the call. 

Hyukjae only remembers the phone sliding out of his hands, how he runs towards his car and speeds towards the hospital. 

Hyukjae remembers driving so quickly, thinking that it's not happening, that he needs to see Donghae, at least for the last time. 

That night, there is a thunderstorm.

Hyukjae remembers seeing glaring lights, he remembers hearing loud sounds, and then nothing. He remembers nothing. Everything fades to darkness. 

 

Black. White. Grey. White.

Donghae opens his eyes.  

"Hae... You're awake..."

"Min?"

"The operation was a success, Hae..." 

"The operation?" 

"Yeah," Sungmin tries to hide the falling tears but Donghae sees it all. 

"You got a new heart, Donghae." 

"I did?" Donghae's eyes widen, and he reaches out to his chest, feeling the gentle thudding. 

"Donghae..." Sungmin whispers so brokenly. 
So, so brokenly. 


-

Donghae thinks the world is really funny. It's funny how he can never be truly happy, not before everything is taken away once again. 

He remembers. Donghae remembers that night. He remembers how there was a thunderstorm, how he was in pain, how he was so scared. He remembers the doctors standing next to his bed, looking down at him sadly. He remembers pining for Hyukjae, clutching onto his chest, before the pain overtook him. He remembers seeing faint shadows of people around him before everything faded into darkness. 

Donghae remembers. And Donghae wishes, he really wishes that he could forget. 

-


Donghae sits on the grass that's wet from the rain, and he watches the last few drops fall to the earth. There is wetness at the corner of his eyes but he rubs against them so furiously, willing them not to fall. Not when he's here. Not when Hyukjae's right beside him. 

He fails, and the tears still fall. He sniffles, tears blurring his vision, his hands clutching onto the muddy grass. As darkness starts to seep into the sky, the familiar yellow starts to appear. Donghae quickly rubs the tears away, wanting to see everything clearly. He does. He sees the bright yellow in the night sky, so clearly, brighter than all the yellow in the night skies he's seen. 

He sees a star that seems to be shining so brightly, brighter than the many others in the sky. 

He smiles, letting the tears drip down freely. 

"Hyukjae... You were my miracle... And you will always be. Remember how I told you about the stars? And now you're one of them, giving me hope. I wish you could stay by my side Hyukjae... But since you're one of them now, help me to find Appa and say hi, okay? I'll look up to see both of you every night."

Donghae can never forget. Donghae will never forget. 

Those nights on the balcony, those hushed whispers, those midnight grocery shopping trips, the laughter shared, the tears, the pain, the hope. Everything. 


"Perhaps one day I'll become one of the stars you love so much, Hae." Hyukjae blinks when Donghae shakes his head furiously. 

"Not when I have you, Hyukjae. I don't need those stars when I have you."

 

Donghae shivers when a gentle breeze blows, his hair fluttering. He closes his eyes and imagines that Hyukjae is there, that Hyukjae is embracing him and wiping the tears away from his face, telling him that everything is going to be okay. 

He closes his eyes, and he reaches out. 


-

One night, Donghae dreams. He isn't sure whether it's a dream, for everything seems so real.

He dreams of Hyukjae, that night the thunderstorm happened. It was right before he out, his vision only a blurry mess. 

He remembers looking around the room, seeing the doctors, seeing Sungmin. 

And just before he totally blacks out, he reaches out, and he touches a familiar hand. That hand tightly curls around his, and his vision clears slightly. Amidst the swirling, cloudy mess, he thinks he sees Hyukjae. Hyukjae is lying there next to him, one hand wrapped tightly around his waist, the other tightly clasped with his. Hyukjae is looking at him with tears in his eyes, yet those are not sad tears. Those are tears of happiness. Donghae reaches out, and he feels that familiar warmth. He sees Hyukjae leaning towards him, pressing his lips gently against his. 

Donghae reaches out, and all is black. 

-

"H-Hyukjae was involved in a car accident, Donghae. He was rushed to the hospital but was declared brain dead." Sungmin pauses, taking Donghae's hand into his own. 

"So I did what Hyukjae always wanted to do, and what he would have chosen to do." Donghae feels as if the air has been knocked out of him, and he falls back limply onto the bed, clutching onto the white envelope and the small piece of metal. 

"Hyukjae always told me, that he would do anything he could to save you, Donghae. Even if it meant giving you his heart so you could live." 

"And so he did, Donghae." Sungmin moves Donghae's pale hand to his chest. The faint, gentle thudding. 

"It was Hyukjae's last gift to you." 

-

Dear Donghae, 

it's going to be one month since we met, so I'm writing this to you. In fact, I've prepared a surprise for you. What am I saying - you would have known what the surprise is by the time you read this letter. I'm so glad you're getting better Hae, I can't wait till you can come back home. Anyway, what I want you to know, is that I love you, Donghae. I've loved you ever since you knocked on my door that day. I'll forever cherish the memories we shared and everything you've taught me. You gave me life when I was on the verge of giving up, Hae. You are, and will always be my miracle. 

It's been one month, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the years we'll be spending together. I promise I'll be by your side, always. 

Ps: I hope you like the ring, I'm wearing the matching one right now. 

Your love, 
Hyukjae. 

-

The curious boy peeks around the corner as he sees someone new moving in. It's a rather young man, and he looks rather adorable as he grumbles when his key gets stuck. 

He thinks of what it would be like to talk to the man, and he thinks of various ways so he can approach him. 

Days pass, and he continues watching the man. And one day, when the man returns home and the door closes, he picks up his courage, and knocks. 

 

-

And this is the end of Salted Stars! I sincerely thank those who've been with me since the start - those who've always commented and encouraged me. Many times I've felt like giving up but reading just one comment would make me so happy. Really love you guys! 

And of course, special thanks to Rebecca and Natalie who've encouraged me since the start & always helped me when I got stuck along the way. 

I know this ending may be disappointing but I hope it didn't ruin the whole story for you guys... /expects like 100 unsubscribers ;; 

And let's pull through the next 2 years together while waiting for eunhae's return T_T 

I hope all of you have enjoyed this story & that you will support my other works as well! <3