Starless skies, hopeful eyes

Salted stars

The next few days feel like a dream to Donghae. He knocks on the familiar door every day, but now, he is greeted with a warm hug and a gentle kiss on the cheek. Nights aren't that cold anymore, with a warm body to snuggle against and protective arms to wrap around him. Each day isn't that depressing, each sunlight he sees seems so much more hopeful than before. 

Donghae presses his cold cheek against the familiar broad chest and laces his fingers with the other's warm ones. He sighs contentedly when he feels fingers running soothingly through his hair. 

"Hyukjae...."

"Yes, Hae?

"Thank you. Thank you so much..."

"For what, Hae?"

"You've changed my life so much. But I'm going to leave so soon, I-"

"Shh." Donghae is cut off by a finger against his thin lips. 

"Don't say these things anymore." Donghae looks up to see a pained expression on Hyukjae's face, and he doesn't say another word, only gently tracing the contours of the older's face. 

-

Hyukjae becomes a natural part of Donghae's life, amidst the stars, chocolate ice cream and the skies. Donghae reaches out for the stars one night, and he finds Hyukjae pulling his hand towards his chest. He feels it, the thudding of the other's heartbeat, the slightly shaking hand. He knows. He knows, and he lets the other press their lips together, a smile on his face despite the tears streaming down his face.

-

"It's Wednesday today," Donghae mumbles. 

"Hmm?"

Hyukjae sits up at the expression on Donghae's face. Memories; Those of Donghae sitting in the narrow hallway every middle of the week.  

"I'll go with you." Donghae smiles at that, pressing a kiss at the corner of Hyukjae's mouth. 


As soon as they step into the hospital, Hyukjae watches how Donghae greets all the nurses with a smile, ruffling the hair of a small boy Hyukjae supposes Donghae knows. He tightens his grip around Donghae as they reach the waiting room. 

"There seems to be an improvement, Donghae," Doctor Park says with a warm smile on his face, while scribbling on a sheet of paper. "I'll give you your pills for the next two months. Continue taking them and we'll see if your condition improves even further by next week."
Donghae's face breaks out into a radiant smile at the doctor's words, and he has an excited grip on Hyukjae's arm. He can feel Hyukjae's excitement as well from the tight grip around his waist. 
-

Once they get out of the hospital, Hyukjae picks Donghae up easily, twirling him around. As he sets him down, he places his forehead against Donghae's, happy tears forming at the corners of his eyes. 

"We can do this together, Donghae. You, and I. We'll be together till we're old and have to walk around with walking sticks," He pauses, trying to stop that familiar constricting feeling in his throat. "but we'll have each other through everything." Donghae only nods at that, tears streaming down his own face. 

They walk home together, under the rays of the setting sun. 

-

 

Hyukjae brings Donghae to places. Many places, in fact. He declares that it is to celebrate Donghae getting better. 

He takes Donghae to the aquarium one day, and Donghae squeals and runs around, waving to all the fish he sees. 
Another day, he takes Donghae to the amusement park. Their day is spent stuffing their faces with cotton candy and the melted ice cream that drips down the sides of their cones. 

Donghae likes the stars. He likes the sea, although not as much as he likes the stars. Hence, Hyukjae takes Donghae to the beach. As the sun sets, Donghae leans against Hyukjae, watching the calm, albeit starless sky. 

"If only there were stars." Donghae's quiet whisper breaks the comfortable silence. 

"I'll take you to see them, Donghae," Hyukjae murmurs. "I'll take you to see the stars soon." 

With the somewhat soothing crashing of waves and the light breeze, Hyukjae sits up, with Donghae still in his arms. He then leans forward, tucking away a loose strand of hair behind Donghae's ears. 
And as the sun hides fully behind the clouds, and the first hint of black tints the sky, Hyukjae pulls Donghae in, and their lips mould together, so gently, so perfect. 

There are no stars that night. 

-
Have you ever heard the story about the stars? The one about the sky who owned the stars, and how it released the stars to earth, to be born as human beings. And when their time was up, they would return to the sky, to become one of the million tiny lights dotting the black canvas once again.