Just let me hold you tonight

Salted stars

 

The whispers echo through the empty hallway as a little boy crouches in a corner, hidden underneath the table. Dried tears stain his cheeks as he rubs his hands against his arms, thumbing the puncture marks.
"...Time...No time..."
"It will be difficult..."
"...past the age of ten..."
"...medication..."
"...his whole life..."


"Appa! Look at those stars!"
"Beautiful, aren't they?"
"Neh," the boy nods eagerly, a blissful smile on his face. "So beautiful..."
"My son..." A faint smile appears on the man's face as he sees how the boy's head bobs up and down eagerly.
"There will always be hope..." A look of confusion appears on the boy's face but the man just threads his fingers through the brown locks gently.
"No matter what, just know that there will always be hope," the man looks into the chocolate orbs that are so similar to his.
"Just never give up..."
Never give up...

On one particular night, Hyukjae opens the door after he hears soft knocking, different from the usual loud ones and Hyukjae is going to say that he doesn't have any salt when he sees the tears that are streaming down Donghae's face. Donghae looks at Hyukjae and although the look on Hyukjae's face is a confused one, the gentle words that come out from Hyukjae's mouth are all it takes for Donghae to fling his arms around Hyukjae's neck and sob into his chest.

Hyukjae pulls Donghae into his apartment, gently closing the door behind him. He had tried to act cold and act like he didn't care, but one look at Donghae's tear streaked face had done it.
"Hey..." Hyukjae whispers, hands awkwardly, yet gently rubbing Donghae's arm, desperately trying to get him to calm down.
"Hey... Shhh... What's wrong? Hmm?" Hyukjae asks and with the gentle tone that Hyukjae is using, Donghae can't help but to break down into sobs again.
Hyukjae can only look on worriedly. He is so used to seeing the cheerful Donghae, the Donghae who will loudly ask for salt at his door that he feels a sinking feeling in his heart at seeing Donghae cry.

Hyukjae holds Donghae in his arms that night.
He can only watch as Donghae cries while he whispers soothing words into his ear. Donghae clutches onto the front of Hyukjae's shirt tightly. Hyukjae thinks that he would rather have an annoying Donghae asking for salt at his doorstep rather than to see a crying Donghae. Hyukjae doesn't understand why his heart clenches painfully as he watches the crying man in his arms. He doesn't understand why he reaches out his hand to wipe away the tears either. Hyukjae watches as Donghae struggles to speak and how the grip on the front of his shirt tightens, As Hyukjae runs his fingers through Donghae's hair, he listens as Donghae speaks and he realizes that there is so much more to this man who asks for salt at his doorstep.

And that night, as Donghae tells him about the beauty of the stars, it takes all of Hyukjae's willpower not to cry.

"Hyukjae-ssi!"
Hyukjae rubs his eyes sleepily, leaning against the wall as he stares at the man bouncing excitedly in front of him.
"Hyukjae-ssi, I need salt!"
"No..Salt..." Hyukjae mumbles, still unaware of his surroundings.
"Oh, and Hyukjae-ssi!"
"Hmm..."
"Let's go out and get ice cream!"
Hyukjae looks up at that and stares unbelievingly at Donghae who is bouncing even more than before. He can't believe that this is the man who had cried in his arms a few days ago.
"W-What?" It is Hyukjae's off-day today and all he wants to do is to sleep. He hasn't expected Donghae to knock on his door that day because he hasn't been coming by for the past few days.
"Ice cream! Come on, Hyukjae-ssi..." Donghae whines and Hyukjae feels his heart beating twice as fast at the sight of a pouting Donghae in front of him.
"Donghae-ssi.. I-"
"I'll wait for you to get changed and let's go!"
Hyukjae can only stare blankly at the door which has been slammed against his own nose.

"Hyukjae-ssi! Hyukjae-ssi, come on!"
"Donghae-ssi, the ice cream isn't going to go anywhere..." Hyukjae mutters.
"B-But," Donghae whines cutely, a pout forming on his face. "The chocolate ice cream is on sale today!"
"Come on!"
Hyukjae rolls his eyes and shuffles along, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

"I want the chocolate one!" Donghae beams at the old man behind the counter. Hyukjae watches on as Donghae interacts with the man.
"Here," the man smiles kindly at Donghae. "Oh, and how are you lately, Donghae?"
Hyukjae sees Donghae's eyes turning slightly downcast as he mumbles a quiet reply.
"I-I'm fine."
But the sad eyes quickly turn into the usual sparkling ones again and Donghae skips over to table at the corner while gesturing to Hyukjae to order his ice cream as well.

"I've been coming here since a year ago, harabeoji's a really nice man. Oh and the chocolate flavour is really nice..." Hyukjae watches as Donghae blabbers on and on and he chuckles as he wonders how he does not get tired of talking so much. Donghae looks up, eyes widening in surprise at Hyukjae's chuckle. His laugh... It's beautiful.
"Why?" Donghae questions, gazing softly at Hyukjae.
"Don't you ever get tired of talking?" Hyukjae grins, noticing the way Donghae's face turns bright red and he stutters as he tries to reply.
"Sorry, I kind of get carried away when talking." Donghae rubs at his neck sheepishly. Hyukjae chuckles yet again, the corner of his eyes crinkling as he laughs,
Donghae looks down even more, feeling more red creep up his cheeks.
"Anyway, is he your real grandfather?" Hyukjae asks, genuinely curious as he looks at Donghae eating his ice cream messily.
"Of course not," Donghae replies softly. "It's just that he always treated me like a real grandson."
"Oh... I see."
Hyukjae wants to ask Donghae about his family, but seeing the downcast gaze from before returning, he decides against it.

 

"Hyukjae-ssi! The ice cream was good, wasn't it?"
Hyukjae hums in response, but truthfully, he thinks that the ice cream had been pretty good.
"Hyukjae-ssi, the weather's pretty good today, isn't it?" Hyukjae looks at Donghae, who has turned around after asking Hyukjae the question and has started skipping down the street again.
"Hmm..." Hyukjae looks down and continues to walk without really answering Donghae's question.
"Hyukja-"
"Yah!" Hyukjae interrupts, pretending to glare at Donghae.
"When are you ever going to stop talking?" Donghae's mouth gapes open, and his eyebrows crease, mouth forming into a small pout.
"Why are you such a grumpy ahjussi!" Donghae whines and stomped his feet childishly. Hyukjae can't hold back his laughter at the adorable sight. Donghae's pout changes into a soft smile too seeing Hyukjae laugh.
His smile... It's beautiful.

"Hyukjae-ssi, we should come and get ice cream again soon!"
"Hmm..." Hyukjae replies, a small smile starting to form as he sees Donghae pout at his answer.
"Oh, and there's another ice cream shop down the street but it's not as good as harabeoji's..." Donghae says, tugging at Hyukjae's jacket sleeve excitedly at the thought of ice cream.
"Seriously, Dong-DONGHAE!" Hyukjae shouts as he pulls Donghae towards him, wrapping him in his embrace, the car whizzing past Donghae, just missing him by a few inches.
"H-Hyukjae-ssi..." Donghae's voice trembles as he mumbles Hyukjae's name softly. Still with his arms around Donghae's waist, Hyukjae looks at Donghae, only to find tears forming in his eyes.
"You scared me, Donghae! Y-You scared me!" Hyukjae says anxiously, his grip on Donghae tightening.
"Are you okay?" Hyukjae looks into Donghae's eyes and Donghae starts crying silently.
"Hey... Hey, don't cry..." Hyukjae whispers, gently wiping away the tears from Donghae's face. Donghae wraps his arms tightly around Hyukjae's neck.
"Don't cry... I'm here."

 

-

Hi! :) Thank you to all of you who have subscribed and commented so far, I really appreciate it!:)