Chapter 6

White Lies

A/N: Well, a few weeks turned into almost a month, again. I'm sorry, but as I said before, I'm having a hard time writing these early chapters, I'm terrible at fluff, oh god. I want to thank everyone who's still reading this story, and those who recently subscribed and left comments. Thank you~! I hope you enjoy this.

 

---

There's a weird shaped shadow at the ceiling, and it's distracting Seunghyun from sleep. He's been staring at it for the past 10 minutes, and it's already too late, he should be asleep by now.

The thing is, Seunghyun's not very fond of 'sleepovers'. He doesn't like to sleep in someone else's bed (or mattress for that matter), he feels vulnerable and exposed. Jiyong's quiet for a while now, probably dreaming if he's lucky enough to have any dream.

Seunghyun doesn't dream anymore. Or if he does, he can't recall. He misses the distraction, dreaming used to be so much fun. But then again, he should be trying to sleep now, not analyzing his personal issues for the nth time.

When Jiyong invited him to stay over, Seunghyun tried to persuade him, even after he said 'yes'. He made up excuses, saying that he didn't have anything to wear but Jiyong surprised him with a huge t-shirt, then he started to about the lack of pajama pants, because he can't possibly sleep in his jeans. To that Jiyong also found a solution.

"You can sleep in your underwear," said the younger, matter-of-factly.

"No way."

"Hyung, really? We're both men, I don't care about your private parts ok? And the t-shirt I borrowed you is huge, so I won't see anything anyway." Seunghyun must have looked rather annoyed with the idea, so Jiyong continued.

"A-And you can grab a blanket alright? Trust me hyung, what you have is not of my interest."

"I know," Seunghyun said, feeling like a spoiled brat all of a sudden. How can Jiyong stand him?

"So we're good?"

"Yeah, we're good."

Seunghyun however, wasn't ok with the idea, but agreed because he didn't want to embarrass himself more than he already did. Complaining about a stupid game, getting all shy over silly questions, ing about pajamas. How old is he, 7?

He likes to leave a good impression on people, but he can only achieve that from afar, when he doesn't get involved. He's trouble and he knows it.

Seunghyun's lost in thoughts for a while now, and doesn't even notice Jiyong getting up. The smaller man almost trips on the mattress, and looks very confused upon seeing a wide awake Seunghyun.

"Hyung are you still awake?" he asks after a yawn.

"Can't sleep. But don't worry it's fine, really. You should go back to bed," Seunghyun replies, because the last thing he needs is to worry Jiyong.

The younger ignores him and goes to the kitchen, probably to get a glass of water. Seunghyun's glad that Jiyong is leaving him alone. Maybe he understands.

Five-minutes pass and Jiyong's still in the kitchen so Seunghyun gets suspicious and decides to check on him, because what if he's not feeling well? They drank a few bottles of beer only a few hours ago, maybe he has a headache. Now Seunghyun feels bad for not asking if Jiyong was ok the moment he awoke.

He gets up and goes to the kitchen, to find Jiyong near the oven. The younger is resting his weight on the sink, head low. He must be very sleepy.

"Ji?" Seunghyun nearly whispers, because what if Jiyong's a sleepwalker? What if he scares him?

Jiyong turns around abruptly, he has bags under his eyes and his long hair is everywhere. Seunghyun notices that he's wearing really short shorts and a shirt that leaves his collarbones exposed, making him look even smaller. Jiyong is so tiny, he could easily pass for a teenager.

"Hey there" Jiyong greets him, smiling a little. "I'm warming some milk for you, maybe it'll help you sleep," he finishes after another yawn.

Seunghyun wants to jump off the window, because Jiyong shouldn't care this much. It not only makes him feel more like a child, it also makes him feel terrible for being a moron for the past hours. He's so surprised it's hard to come up with a response.

"You shouldn't have done that Ji, really it's ok. I'm ok," Seunghyun reassures him, but Jiyong doesn't look convinced. Before he has the chance to reply, the older man speaks again.

"God I'm keeping you up when you should be asleep. Come on, let's go back to bed," he says offering his hand, but once again Jiyong ignores him, opening the cupboard to grab a mug.

Since he had all this trouble, Seunghyun decides to stay quiet and just drink the ing milk, because any excuse would be too rude. He may be an sometimes, but he's not insensitive.

"Thanks," he says as soon as Jiyong hands him the mug, and they go back to bed together. Jiyong lays in bed but keeps watching the older man, who's now busy drinking his warm milk. Seunghyun must admit that he feels relaxed by the second, and isn't Jiyong a genius?

"This is good, Ji" Seunghyun states and Jiyong smiles, eyes heavy with sleep.

"Good night hyung."

Seunghyun falls asleep minutes later.

---

 

There's an annoying sound piercing his eardrums, it's still dark and Seunghyun feels disoriented. He rubs his eyes, trying to understand what's going on. When he rolls around he sees Jiyong sitting in bed, also rubbing his eyes.

The alarm clock.

The younger man reaches for the nightstand and grabs a elastic band to tie his hair, making a high ponytail. Seunghyun just stares at him because he doesn't want to acknowledge the fact that they're supposed to work soon.

He's still so tired, his eyes are heavy and he has a migraine, again. Jiyong notices that he's awake and throws a pillow in his face, making him laugh. Jiyong managed to make him laugh at morning, and Seunghyun's usually very moody at this time.

It also amazes him that Jiyong seems to be in a good mood all the time. Of course, they had a few arguments here and there, but they were both drunk at that time, and mostly Jiyong was very cool about the whole thing. Seunghyun thinks that he now has a role model.

If one day he can be at least 10% like Jiyong, he would be thankful. Maybe Jiyong can teach him a few things, he made the offer last night anyway.

"You don't have to get up yet," the younger says when he sees Seunghyun rolling around. "I'm going to make breakfast, we still have time."

"You're an angel," Seunghyun murmurs, because that's the most reasonable explanation. Jiyong is a gift sent from heaven, and he feels guilty all of a sudden because he doesn't deserve someone like Jiyong in his life.

The long-haired man laughs at Seunghyun's remark, then he gets up and goes to the kitchen, leaving Seunghyun alone in the dark.

He grabs his phone and checks the time, and it is indeed really early. There's 3 missed calls, all from his mother. Seunghyun ignores because his mother is too much for him, and also because he doesn't want to keep lying to her. She's always inquiring to know about his internship, and he's not sure of what to say other than 'its fine mom.'

Seunghyun knows that he should stop lying but it's second nature, he can't help it. His mother deserves a better son, he's a constant disappointment.

After a few minutes, Seunghyun smells something really nice coming from the kitchen, and his stomach makes a loud noise that surprises him, making him get up. He puts his pants on and finds Jiyong once again by the oven, the imagery bringing a smile to his face.

Seunghyun's a little jealous of Jiyong, because he's just too perfect. He's a great guy who's really good with people, has good looks, knows how to cook and is very mature for his age. Thinking about it makes Seunghyun realize that he doesn't know how old Jiyong is, so he asks before thinking twice, "Ji, how old are you?"

Jiyong nearly drops the pan, and Seunghyun now realizes that he probably didn't notice his presence. "Sorry! Don't kill yourself, ok?" he says, and Jiyong throws a dishcloth at him.

"And stop throwing things at me!" he continues, so Jiyong shows him his tongue in response.

Seunghyun finds it adorable, and obviously his cue to tease Jiyong a bit more, "Wow that's mature," he tries to say in a serious tone, but cracks a smile as soon as he looks at Jiyong, who's also smiling.

The smaller man retorts, "Said the man who freaked out over a stupid game," and Seunghyun would laugh if it wasn't so tragic. Jiyong basically said how childish his behavior was last night, and the worst part is that he can't argue with that, because it's entirely true.

Seunghyun doesn't know how to reply so he remains quiet, and Jiyong's expression changes in a blink of an eye, concern written all over his face.

"I'm sorry that was inappropriate," Jiyong says calmly, looking at him expectantly.

"It's ok Ji," he replies, trying to change the subject immediately. Somehow this is about him again, and he's not enjoying being the center of attention all the time, "But hey you didn't answer my question."

Jiyong opens the cupboard and grabs two bowls, filling them with rice. "I'm nineteen."

'Wow, he's indeed really young,' Seunghyun thinks, while Jiyong places the food in front of him. It smells delicious and he's craving homemade food for a while now, since he moved to Japan pretty much all he eats is junk food, and he's aware that he gained a few extra pounds.

They eat mostly in silence, Jiyong's reading a magazine and Seunghyun doesn't want to bother him, not to mention that he also wouldn't know what to say. It's always Jiyong who starts the conversation, and Seunghyun wants to keep it that way. He's terrible with words anyway.

When the younger finishes his meal, he gets up and puts his bowl inside the sink, filling it with water. "We don't have time to deal with dishes right now, so when you're done just put it here with mine," Jiyong informs him while going to the bedroom.

"Okay." Seunghyun replies, but is pretty sure that Jiyong didn't hear him, since he's making a mess inside his room right now. Seunghyun can hear him cursing, and throwing things, and knocking the wardrobe doors. The younger seemed to be in a very nice mood (typical) minutes ago, so Seunghyun's not sure why he's causing a scene.

"Are you ok in there?" Seunghyun asks from the table, still eating his meal. He's facing the wall so he can't see what Jiyong is doing, and since the bedroom has no doors he's afraid to turn around, maybe Jiyong is or half , whichever is an image he wants to avoid.

"ing fine," is the reply he gets and Seunghyun snorts, because Jiyong also sounds cute even when he's angry.

When Seunghyun finishes his meal, he places his bowl next to Jiyong's and proceeds to the bedroom, he can't avoid whatever is happening in there any longer otherwise they'll be late, he needs to get changed and brush his hair/teeth.

Jiyong is still looking for something in his wardrobe, so Seunghyun walks past him to grab his shirt and goes to the bathroom. When he gets in there, he realizes that he doesn't have a toothbrush, and he also doesn't know where Jiyong keeps the toothpaste. He locks the door to change his clothes and use the bathroom. He washes his face and tries to comb his hair with his fingers, it looks messy but maybe he can fix it at the hotel.

"Hyung I need to use the bathroom," says the younger, and he doesn't sound pissed anymore, but maybe it's because Seunghyun can't see him.

Seunghyun opens the door to find that he indeed looks better, as if nothing happened. "Are you ok now? What happened?" he decides to ask because it's only natural, right?

"Nothing hyung," Jiyong answers with a shy smile, playing with the ends of his hair. "I get upset easily when I can't find what I'm looking for, you know? I wanted to wear a t-shirt today but it magically disappeared; Anyway, let me use the bathroom so we can go, ok?"

"Yeah, sure."

---

 

They arrive at the hotel in half an hour, and Jiyong complains a lot about Seunghyun's breath, 'because it's disgusting hyung, you should have asked me for a toothbrush.'

And the day goes as expected, Jiyong is always super busy with guests and phone calls, and Seunghyun rides the elevator when needed. When it's lunch time they eat together again, and Jiyong makes sure to point out that Seunghyun's hair also looks disgusting.

They joke around and Seunghyun allows Jiyong to insult him, but always find a way to back. 'Jipunzel', he jokes and Jiyong pretends to be upset, only to retort with "You wish you had a hair like mine," much to Seunghyun's amusement.

The clock stops at 2pm, Seunghyun's pretty sure that he checked it multiple times and the time doesn't pass. He wants his shift to be over, he wants his room and he needs a shower.

Jiyong's on the phone so Seunghyun can't bother him which is annoying, because time flies by when he's with the smaller man. He's too distracted to notice Shinji walking through the door, and now it's too late to run away (in this case hide in the elevator).

"Hey, bro what's up?!" Shinji greets him excitedly, and Seunghyun doesn't even bother to greet him back. "What are you doing here?" he asks instead, because Shinji is not supposed to be here, not now anyway.

"Yo are you mad at me or something? I'm just here to grab my paycheck."

Seunghyun wants to smack him for the nth time, for being so cynical. Is it possible that the man doesn't realize how his actions bothered Seunghyun? Because since that night Seunghyun is clearly avoiding him, so he's either stupid or cynical, and Seunghyun chooses the latter.

"No, not mad man, just asking," he lies, because he doesn't want to have an argument with someone like Shinji. Maybe he should say something, tell the man that he's a piece of for what he did, and that he's upset. But Seunghyun knows better than to argue with an addict, he's too good for this.

Shinji doesn't seem to be convinced but doesn't push, leaving Seunghyun alone minutes later. He rides the elevator a few more times and when he gets back to the reception Jiyong is finally by himself, staring at the computer.

"Hey what you doin'?" he asks, and Jiyong doesn't even glance at him before answering, "What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Ouch," he replies and Jiyong smiles, unable to pretend indifference.

"Hey I'm glad you're here, I have to ask you something," the younger starts and Seunghyun feels anxious all of a sudden, he hates when people inform him that they have to ask him something. Why can't they just ing ask? Why do they have to announce the question beforehand?

Things Seunghyun will never understand.

Jiyong is looking at him expectantly, and he knows it's his turn to speak. "What?" he offers, trying to sound as cheerful as he can.

"So, there's this party on saturday," Jiyong starts, and Seunghyun can see where this is going and he hates it. He enjoys parties when he is with his friends, but the last time he tried to party here in Japan he almost got in trouble. And yes, Jiyong is a totally different guy, but Seunghyun has trust issues and wants to be sure he's reliable before hanging out with him.

Which sounds stupid since he already slept at the guy's house but whatever, what about Jiyong's friends? Seunghyun doesn't know who they are and doesn't know how Jiyong behaves near them, he could be a totally different person.

And this scares Seunghyun, to really get to know Jiyong. Maybe he's being paranoid and Jiyong is just as sweet with his friends as he is with him, but what if he isn't? He's finally enjoying having a friend again, he doesn't want it to end.

So before Jiyong can finish the sentence, Seunghyun interrupts him, "I don't think so, Ji."

Jiyong looks confused and scoffs, "Wow, let me finish would ya?"

Seunghyun turns around to check for guests, anything that could make him go back to the elevator, but there's no one around and he's out of excuses so he just nods, giving Jiyong permission to continue.

"Ok, so as I was saying there's this party on saturday and I wanted to invite you."

Seunghyun laughs quietly at Jiyong's attitude, he already said no but the man had the guts to ask him anyway. Kudos to that.

"Yeah, and as I said before I don't think it's a good idea Ji. But thanks anyway," he replies, and Jiyong does that cute face again, that one he did the night before when Seunghyun said that he was going home.

"Nah, you can't do that face everytime I say no to you, nope, I'm not falling for this again," he informs and Jiyong pouts even more, small brown eyes turning into crescents.

It's actually quite hard to say no to that face, especially because Jiyong is always so nice, but he's really not in the mood to party, at least not just yet. He's still a bit hungover from last night for God's sake.

"I said no Ji, maybe some other time," he insists, and Jiyong looks disappointed. It's a look Seunghyun doesn't like to see on his face.

"Ok, I won't force you to go if that's what you really want, but can I at least try to convince you? I can be very persuasive you know?" Jiyong smirks and how can Seunghyun say no?

"Fine, you have one minute," Seunghyun says, trying to sound as serious as possible.

Jiyong looks like he's at loss of words before saying rather quickly, "Well it's going to be awesome and some of my closest friends are going to be there and I'd like you to meet them, not to mention that the DJ is ing amazing and I bought the perfect outfit so you definitely don't want to miss that."

And Jiyong indeed can be very persuasive. Seunghyun doesn't know what to say other than yes. But he doesn't want to go, he just apparently can't say no to Jiyong. He laughs, because Jiyong is smirking and the little knows he may have changed Seunghyun's mind.

"Well, I'll think about it, ok? I promise."

It's better than a straight no. He can come up with a good excuse during the week, after all he's a very good liar. Jiyong looks satisfied with the answer, and after a small talk Seunghyun goes back to his place, leaving Jiyong with some guests.

---

When Seunghyun arrives at the hostel he's beyond tired, barely making to his room. He stayed with Jiyong in the locker room, talking about whatever, and Jiyong tried to describe his party outfit, giving him a few hints.

They had a great time as usual, and left the hotel together. Jiyong once again offered him a ride, but Seunghyun didn't want to bother him, yeah, their buildings are not that far away but Jiyong needs to take a detour to get to Seunghyun's hostel, and Jiyong did enough for him for the week.

He told Jiyong to go home, that he'd take the bus like he's used to. Jiyong insisted a couple of times before leaving, and Seunghyun went to the bus station thinking about that party invitation.

However, when he got there, he realized that he missed his bus, because he and Jiyong spent a good time talking nonsense in the locker room and then in front of the hotel. He laughed at that time, because how could he forget.

So he had to walk his way back home, and he must admit that he needs to exercise more, because he feels like right now. He takes off his shoes and jumps in bed, too tired to take a bath, even though he desperately needs one.

'I'm just staying here for a few secs,' he thinks, before taking a nap.

One hour later he wakes up completely disoriented, and decides that he can't avoid shower much longer. Seunghyun checks his phone, because his friends always txt him and he always fails to reply them, and gets disappointed at the lack of txts/calls.

Maybe they forgot him already, he's not a good friend anyway.

The thought makes him sad, so he stays in bed for a few more minutes, drowning in self-loathing. His cell phone rings and it's his mother, but of course. He has been avoiding her for the longest time (2 days too long), so he picks up before she decides to take a plane to Japan and ruin his 'party'.

"Hey Mah"

"Seunghyun where have you been? I've been calling you non-stop, what's wrong? Is everything ok? Mah is worried!" she half-speaks half-screams, and that's why he shouldn't be avoiding his mother, it does more harm than good.

"I'm fine, everything is fine. I've been busy, ok? This internship is killing me," he lies, and the guilt almost suffocates him.

Seunghyun should have thought more about this. When he moved to Japan, he didn't expect his mother to call him every-single-day. He told her before he left, that he needed some time alone, and after a lot of complaints she agreed.

But of course, being a mother, she couldn't keep her promise. And Seunghyun loves her too much to completely avoid her. He doesn't want her to worry. But he keeps lying, and it's hard because she doesn't deserve this. He should be a better son.

Seunghyun doesn't have a problem about lying to anyone, anyone but his mother. It's different, she's the one who took care of him, who took him to school and dealt with his teenage problems. She's practically a saint.

His mother laughs quietly, a laugh that's more relief than anything, "I'm glad to hear. I understand that you're busy baby, but you know how I get when I don't hear from you. It's second nature, Mah can't help it."

"I know and I'm sorry but I had no time. You shouldn't be calling me this much. Remember your promise? One call per week. And I was the one who'd make the call. Everything is fine Mah, really, if anything happens you'll be the first to know."

His mother seems convinced and hangs up minutes later, after telling him to do his laundry because he probably stinks. ing psychic.

Seunghyun finally takes a shower and makes something to eat, and is watching TV when his phone rings again.

He almost ignores the call before checking the ID: Kwon, Jiyong

He answers right away, too bored to care if he sounds desperate or not. "Hey Ji, what's up?"

Jiyong doesn't even bother to greet him, "Hey are you going to the party or what? How long does one have to think?"

Seunghyun would slap his head if he could. Jiyong didn't even wait a day, God, he really didn't have time to come up with a good excuse. He feels cornered.

"Ji, I told you I'd think about it. Less than 4 hours ago, so chill."

"But Seunghyunnnnnn," he drags and Seunghyun can actually hear the pout. It's both cute and annoying at the same time.

"But nothing, one has the right to think. And Jiyong, it's wednesday, the party is days away. We have time, and your friends will be there so it's not like you're going alone or something, relax," he offers, hoping to shut him up. He truly doesn't know what to do anymore.

"Hyung I can't relax! I've been waiting for this party for the longest time, and now that you're my friend I want you to be a part of it. It won't be the same without you, so please just say yes..."

"YES FINE! JESUS CHRIST WILL YOU SHUT UP NOW?" Seunghyun may have raised his voice a little too much, it's late at night and he has neighbors, somehow he feels embarrassed. And even more embarrassed at his lack of determination, apparently he needs to learn how to say no again.

"YES YES YES I'M SHUTTING UP GOOD NIGHT HYUNG!" the younger replies just as loud, and hangs up.

 

'Well ,' he thinks. 'Now I need something to wear.'