Chapter One

Secret of the Spirit

Chapter One

    “Umma!” A sweet voice carried upon the gentle breeze sobbed as a little child secured his coat tight around his shoulders. His tear-stained cheeks were red from the cold, and round eyes looked around frantically for the source of his panic. “Umma, s-stop hiding!”

    An older male, previously waiting in the lounge of a hair salon, sat down his VOGUE magazine and walked outside, dark eyes blinking before softening their cat-like glow at the sight of the frightened child.

    Gathering the boy’s attention when he dropped casually to his knees, he allowed for the young one to cry and hug his arms in search of comfort. He had always been irritated by this aura he possessed - one that welcomed innocence. But at times like this, he was a little... grateful.

    “What does your umma look like, little one?” An alluring voice asked from the man’s parted lips, and the boy looked up at him with momentarily curious eyes, though the emotion was quickly dominated by a returning sadness.

    “She’s pretty, and nice, and has long hair...” The boy sniffled in response.

    That could be any of the women in this district, he thought to himself with a frown, though before he could continued his light interrogation of the boy, he was interrupted by the smaller’s slightly plump lips parting to allow further sobbing blubber to leak out.

    “Su-Su said umma... umma not come back...” The boy rubbed at an eye until stopped by the older’s gentle hug.

    “It’s too cold to be out here on your own... Let’s take you home-”

    “No!”

    Almond eyes widened. “No?”

    “Don’t want to!”

    “But your babysitter must be worried... Isn’t your brother scared for you?”

    “Tell me never come back!”

    It was a little difficult to understand the boy’s broken language, but from what he could understand and make of general body language, the boy was terrified of going home.

    This decision was difficult. If he chose option one, he could be potentially facing charges of kidnapping, but if he chose option two... he was concerned what type of environment he would be returning to.

    “A-Alright... Come with me...”

    He held out his hand, a blue flame around the outline of the limb, and the boy accepted the gesture, unaware of the magic traveling through the other’s nervous body.

    No one made a peep about the disappearance of a boy. Because from what they could recall from their mortal memory, the man and child didn’t exist in the first place.

 

A/N: Ah, this is going to start a little rough. Still, comments are appreciated!