The New Couple

I Can Make You Smile

Luhan woke up and inhaled deeply, stretching every limb of his body. ‘Ugh morning already…’ he thought while sitting up and rubbing his eyes sleepily.

 

“Luhan, your breakfast is ready!” his mom called from the kitchen, “and be sure to come straight home after school today!”

 

“Yeah yeah!” Luhan shouted back, feeling annoyed that they had now stepped up their protectiveness of him. They came home early yesterday and were highly upset to see that Luhan wasn’t home yet. Now they demanded that Luhan inform them of every place he went and whom he was with at all times.

 

Luhan climbed out of bed and went about his usual morning routine before walking into the kitchen to eat his breakfast. “Oh, I knew I forgot to tell you something,” his mom began, “there’s a car outside waiting for you. He said that he wanted to start taking you to school from now on… isn’t that nice, sweetie?”

 

Luhan choked on what he was eating and looked at his mom wide-eyed. “Wait… what?! Who is it?” he asked, praying for once that it was Suho.

 

His mom shrugged her shoulders and peeked out the window, “I’m not sure but it’s a cute boy with whitish-blonde hair and he’s driving a… hmm, a red convertible."

 

Luhan’s heart stopped in his chest – it was Seung Gi.

 

“But I don’t want to ride with-,” Luhan began.

 

“Don’t be so rude, Luhan. You should want to ride to school with your new friend. Now go,” his father chimed in.

 

“But you don’t understand!” Luhan shouted, slamming his fist down on the dining table.

 

“Don’t raise your voice at me! You’re already in big trouble after yesterday, mister… having you’re mother worried sick about you. Now go! I won’t repeat myself a third time,” his father bellowed back sternly.

 

Luhan growled and snatched up his backpack and practically threw himself out the front door. He wanted to cry from being so frustrated, especially after seeing Seung Gi smirking at him from inside the car, but he just fought back the tears and slowly walked across the brown, dead lawn over to the car. The hood of the convertible was pulled back, so Seung Gi’s hair was messy from being blown around by the wind.

 

“Good morning, my love,” Seung Gi said light-heartedly but with a hint of sarcasm, “did you sleep well?”

 

Luhan reluctantly nodded ‘yes’ before throwing his backpack in the backseat and then he opened the door and sat in the passenger’s seat.

 

“Still giving me the silent treatment I see?” Seung Gi asked, raising one eyebrow as he started the car and then he began driving, heading in the direction of the school.

 

“Ani…” Luhan answered quietly while looking down at his hands, wishing desperately that he were back at the hospital with Kai. Hell, he’d even settle for being with Suho and Kris. He just wanted to be somewhere else… anywhere else but here with Seung Gi.

 

Seung Gi suddenly pulled the car over to the side of the road and sat looking at Luhan. Luhan looked over at him too, however as usual, he avoided making direct eye contact with him.

 

“See… this is exactly what I’m talking about. You don’t even make eye contact with me…” Seung Gi said, actually sounding disappointed, “I don’t want us to be like this… I’m sorry for the way I treated you earlier… I just… I don’t know. Can we please just start over?”

 

Luhan finally decided to make eye contact with Seung Gi and searched his eyes for any trace of dishonesty but he couldn’t find any… Seung Gi really did appear to be apologetic.

 

“Please Luhan…” Seung Gi pleaded, his coffee brown eyes looked at him remorsefully.

 

‘I’m not buying it,’ Luhan thought but decided to play into Seung Gi’s little “game” – but little did he know that Seung Gi was actually being sincere with his apology. Seung Gi really did like Luhan but in his own sick, twisted way.

 

“I… I g-guess we could start over,” Luhan finally managed to squeak out.

 

Seung Gi smiled brightly and Luhan thought he actually looked handsome for once like that – too bad he usually wore a permanent scowl on his face.

 

Seung Gi then pulled the car back out into the street and they continued their drive to school.

 


 

They pulled up to the school and Seung Gi parked in his designated parking spot; and then they put on their backpacks and started walking towards the school together. Luhan did his best to fix his hair since it was violently blown around by the wind while riding in the convertible. Seung Gi then slipped his hand into Luhan’s hand and held it firmly. Luhan felt his heart skip a beat – but not in a good way.

 

What will Suho think when he sees us together? What will Kris think?

 …Will they tell Kai?

 

All these questions flooded Luhan’s mind as they drew closer to the school and he looked over at Seung Gi who was smirking cockily. ‘I knew he didn’t mean what he said earlier… he just wants to see me humiliated,’ Luhan thought in disgust because he almost found himself wanting to believe him but… he surprisingly misunderstood his smirk – Seung Gi was just proud of the fact that he is finally able to call Luhan his.

 

Seung Gi squeezed Luhan’s hand a little bit before opening the door to the school and all eyes immediately fell upon the couple – including Suho’s and Kris’s