Kumawo

The promised.

Kim Haeun. Listen to the name carefully. It’s nice, right? For Baekhyun, the name makes his life feels like in heaven. Without the name, I think he’ll be like a paper without pen. Useless. After being together for about 7 years, Haeun suffered a cancer. Brain cancer. It was the first stage. Haeun was surprised with the news. She felt very disappointed. She didn’t know whether she could face it or not but, she knew that Baekhyun always support her. Actually, Baekhyun can’t hide himself from feeling worried of her too. After the operation, Haeun stayed in coma. Every day, every hour, every minute and even every second, Baekhyun always stay beside her.

         “Haeun… Wake up. It’s morning now.”

         “Haeun… What you want to eat? Tteobokki? Ice-cream?”

         “Haeun... Ajumma that lives next to your house ask about you. What should I say? Help me please!”

         “Haeun… I… I…I’m already 22 years old now! Happy birthday to me! Haeun~ah, wake up and sing for me.”

Every word and question that Baekhyun gave never gets a reply or respond. Sometimes, Baekhyun felt like he talks to nobody. He waited for Haeun passed 100 days. She’s still the same. He had a promised with Haeun that they cannot be separate and only death can separate them. Baekhyun holds his promised.

-Flashback-

“Oppa, can you promised me something?”

“What? I’ll promise everything you want.”

“Hmm... I want you to promise that you will be forever with me. Can you?”

“What a simple wishes.” Baekhyun laughed.

Haeun pouted and smacked his arm. “Oppa! It’s not funny, okay?”

“Arraseo…”

Baekhyun put up his hand on his chest and smiled.

“I, Byun Baekhyun promised to be forever with Kim Haeun, his lovely witch.”

“Lovely witch?” Haeun stared at Baekhyun. “By the way, it’s sweet.”

“What about you? You need to promise that too.”

“Don’t worry about me. I’ll always be in your side.”

Baekhyun nodded.

“Aishh!”

“Why oppa?”

“Because of the promised, I can’t have a second girlfriend.”

“OPPA!” Haeun pulled Baekhyun’s ear.

“Ah! Ah! Ah! Sorry. I don’t mean it.”

-----------------------

It was really quite in the room. Baekhyun slept beside Haeun’s bed. He always wanted to take care on Haeun. He never thinks about himself after Haeun coma. Even if he needs to wait a thousand year for her to wake up, he will wait. Because.. that is his promise.

“Ring! Ring!”

Baekhyun’s phone vibrated, awaking him from his sleep. He putted the phone near his ear.

“Omma, why are your calling me?”

“What? Are you asking why I’m calling you? Baekhyun ah~ come home. Omma cooked your favorite food.” Baekhyun’s mother tried to coax him.

Baekhyun didn’t want to talk much with his mother.

“Ohh… arraseo. I’ll arrive home soon.”

Baekhyun opened his eyes slowly. He looked at Haeun and then held her hand.

“Haeun, my mother asked me to go home. Should I?” Baekhyun brought Haeun’s hand near his cheek softly.

He really doesn’t want to leave Haeun alone.

“I’ll back soon.” Baekhyun was about to walk but he turned back to the person lying on the bed. A loud sighed was heard as he gripped his knob.

“Mianhae…” Baekhyun then leaved the room.

-----------------------

After reaching home, Baekhyun walked to his room.

“Baekhyun, do you want eat?” Miss Byun suddenly appeared from the kitchen. She’s worried of her only son.

“No...”

“Oo, arraseo…”

Miss Byun felt a little strange about Baekhyun these days.

 

He pushed door closed and walked to his bed. “What should I do?” Baekhyun rubbed his hair harshly.

Baekhyun suddenly remember something. He wanted to be beside Haeun right now, but he can’t.

 

“The cell started developing in your lung. It’s too late for us to do anything now. I hope you can accept this. We can do the operation for you but the chance for you to live is only 40%.. Only miracle can save you from the operation. ” Said the doctor.

“How much day left for me to live?”

“I’m sorry but you only have one week left before the cancer start attacking your heart..”

“So, I’ll die?”

“I’m really…”

 “I’ll die right?”

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Arghhh! Why do I have to suffer this?” Baekhyun pushed all the things in the table. Everything already scattered on the cold floor. He felt very angry.

“What did I do until I have to face this thing???” Baekhyun kneel down on the floor. Said the doctor, Baekhyun suffered a cancer. Lung cancer. He’s already in the last stage. There’s no other way that he can survive anymore. 1 week. 1 week and everything will end.

-----------------------------

Baekhyun sat in front of Haeun. He held Haeun’s hand tightly. He doesn’t know how to start. This is not his first time talking alone in this room but why can’t he say something? The warm tears started falling down. He felt very guilty.

 

“Kumawo… You always stay by my side but mianhae… I can’t do the same thing to you. Kumawo Haeun ah… you always called me as your ‘Oppa’. Always makes me happy everyday. But now, I can’t hear your laugh anymore. I miss you. I miss so much Haeun ah.. I hope to hear your laugh again before I leave.Yeah.. I don’t have much time left. I’ll leave soon. And this time, I’ll leave you forever. I really want you to wake up and sweep my tears. I really don’t want to leave you but I don’t have any choice. I’ll leave. Haeun, please… I don’t want you to be sick. Just let me have all the pain. You are the reason why I’m still alive now.. I’ll do anything for you. Anything. Until my last breath. I love you Haeun ah.. Kumawo..”

Baekhyun stood up and left a letter on the table beside Haeun’s bed. He hopes she’ll notice it. Baekhyun leaved the room.

 

“Kumawo…. Kumawo Kim Haeun….”