Chapter 5

You'll Never Know

Don't say that,” Mei said quietly. “Please don't say that.”

Victoria noticed that Mei's skin had gone ghostly white and she patted Mei's hand, which was resting on the table.

I mean, I'm sure he wouldn't have found anyone else,” Victoria said quickly. “How could anyone replace you?”

A smile flickered across Mei's lips. “Thanks, Vic. I don't think we'll last much longer. He's been acting really weird lately. Maybe it's just better if I end it quickly?”

At least wait until you see him again,” Victoria shook her head. “Maybe he's just nervous or something! Why would he- Oh... Hello...”

Victoria trailed off and stared at the space just above Mei's shoulder.

 

Mind if I borrow Mei for a minute, miss?” Luhan asked politely. Mei turned to face him, ready to spit an insult at him, but recoiled at the last moment- he was wearing a plaid shirt, a few buttons undone, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and skinny jeans poking out underneath. She in a breath and allowed herself to be helped up by the handsome Chinese boy.

 

I'm sorry about yesterday,” was the first thing Mei said as she and Luhan stood on the pavement in front of the café. Victoria almost had her face pressed up against the glass as she strained to hear and see what was going on.

That's okay,” Luhan smiled. He almost blushed as he said, “I guess I was a bit too... Forward. I should be sorry.”

He and Mei laughed for a moment before he stopped and handed Mei a piece of paper.

Um... That's my number. I was wondering if you wanted to go somewhere tonight?”

 

Mei thought of Kris, starving because he didn't know how to cook. She then thought of Kris ordering himself pizza and “forgetting” to order her any. Then she thought about Tao... and blinked hard. He wouldn't even know. He'd surely been on dates while they'd been away from each other.

That would be really nice,” Mei nodded, taking the paper off him and putting it in her bag.

I could pick you up around seven?” Luhan asked shyly.

Sure!” Mei nodded again. “I live at 62, Acrewood-”

Woah, you live with Kris-hyung?!” Luhan's eyes almost popped out of his head.

You know Kris?” Mei was surprised.

It's a small city,” Luhan laughed. “Are you like... Related or anything?”

No! No,” Mei said quickly. “I'm a nanny. I look after his little sisters, but they're in Japan right now, so I can go out.”

Thank you Mr and Mrs Wu,” Luhan said, looking up to the clouds and putting his hands together. Mei playfully hit his arm, laughing.

I'll see you tonight, then,” Luhan told her, smiling. “I'll be there at seven!”

 

Vic, you have to help me get ready tonight,” Mei squealed as soon as she sat back down at the table. “I just got a date!”

Oh my goodness!” Victoria squealed back at her. “What are you going to wear?”

I was hoping you'd help,” Mei said sheepishly. “Could you come over to mine to help me?”

Of course, girl!” Victoria nodded, grinning brightly.

 

I'm back!” Mei called out as she and Victoria stepped into the Wus house. After receiving no response, Mei wandered down the corridor to the living room, where Kris was lying across the sofa, watching Friends.

What's for dinner?” Kris asked, not even looking up from the screen. Mei couldn't understand a word of it so she ignored it, even though it was making Kris smirk.

You could order pizza if you want,” Mei said. “But I-”

What do you want?” Kris pulled his phone out of his pocket and began dialing. On the one hand, Mei was suddenly extremely happy that he'd thought to ask about her. On the other hand, she felt so bad that she would be leaving him alone again, and she stuttered as she tried to tell him about her plans.

We- um... I... I'm going... On a date...” Mei told him quietly. Kris almost looked disappointed before turning back to the screen.

I'll order later, then,” he said nonchalantly.

Sorry,” Mei apologised quickly before turning to Victoria. “Should we go upstairs, or are you hungry?”

Why would I come upstairs with you?”

Sure, let's go!”

Kris and Victoria's voices clashed as they answered the question that was directed at Victoria.

 

Is there someone with you?” Kris stood up, walking to the door, where Victoria had been standing the whole time.

Yeah... This is Victoria. Vic, this is Kris.”

Victoria smiled and bowed her head a little, her smile fading a little as Kris watched her with distaste.

We'll, uh, we'll be going, then, Mei said quickly, taking Victoria's arm. “See you later!”