Chapter 3

You'll Never Know

It's about Kris.”

Mei's face dropped. “Go on.”

He has a couple of interviews for summer jobs today. I need you to go with him and make sure he actually does the interviews. There should be enough time to get lunch between the first and the second interview, then you can come home afterwards. Would that be okay?” Mrs Wu's eyebrows knitted together worriedly.

Of course! But- what about the twins?” Mei asked.

Mr Wu and I are taking them out today,” Mrs Wu patted Mei's shoulder. “It's been so long since we've been for a day out with them!”

Mei nodded, smiling shyly, already trying to prepare herself for the insults she'd get thrown at her today.

Thanks, Mei!” Mrs Wu called as she strode away, down the corridor.

 

I'm not going with you.”
“Please. Your mother asked me to take you.”

No. No way. I'd rather shovel horse poop all day than go with you.”

I'll stop making cupcakes.”

You really think that'll work on me?”

I'm being serious.”

Fine. I'll come.”

 

That was how Mei and Kris ended up sitting at opposite ends of the bus, travelling into the centre of Seoul for Kris' interviews. Mei could hear Kris sighing and grumbling to himself for the whole journey, and he didn't let up when they got off the bus in front of a huge glass-fronted building.

Bet it's full of pretentious bankers who think they have the right to all the seats on the bus,” Kris growled. He didn't seem to care that he sounded like a four year old.

I'll wait out here,” Mei told him, pointing to a bench next to the building, and pulling a book from her bag.

You don't want to come inside and see me into the interview?” Kris asked, pointing to the door.

Nope. I trust that if you want more cupcakes, you'll definitely do the interview.”

 

Now Kris was faced with the choice of going to the interview and getting the cupcakes fairly, or hiding in the building and feeling guilty every time Mei even stepped near the oven. He stopped in the middle of reception. What did he care if Mei made those cupcakes for him and he took them unfairly? He wasn't a little boy any more. Kris stepped sideways and pushed open the door to the mens' bathroom.

 

How was it?” Mei asked, smiling up at Kris as he trudged over to her.

It was fine,” he told her, not making eye contact. Mei continued to smile.

What do you want to eat? Your mother said we would have enough time to get something to eat between-”

Ah, the time of my next interview changed. I'm going to have to go now. You can eat while I'm in there,” Kris interrupted her. He turned to leave. “Are you coming?”

 

I'll wait for you here,” Mei told Kris as they passed a little café. Kris nodded slightly and carried on walking. Mei lifted her hand to wave but thought better of it and dropped it. She pushed open the door to the café and wandered inside, closing her eyes for a moment as the smell of baking and coffee floated around her. She joined the back of the queue and decided to just buy a coffee; Kris would be a while and she could get something to eat in a few minutes rather than sit with nothing to do.

 

Mei found a small round table near the window and sat watching the street for a moment before pulling the book from her bag again. She sipped her coffee and soon became engrossed in the novel, the boy staring at her from across the café thought he'd be completely unnoticed. The minutes ticked by and Mei's hunger was forgotten. Her eyes flicked across the page and only blinked properly when she had to turn the page.

You hungry?”

Mei looked up quickly. “Excuse me?”

Are you hungry? I bought this sandwich and then I realised I already had something to eat.”

Mei carried on staring at the boy. “Who are you?” she said, not meaning to be rude. He was the rude one in the situation, having been staring at her for the best part of an hour.

I'm Luhan,” the boy grinned. He pulled up a chair and sat directly opposite Mei, pushing the sandwich towards her.

Well, Luhan,” Mei said, dropping her book in her bag and picking up her coffee, “My mother told me not to talk to or accept sandwiches from strangers, especially strangers that have been staring at me since I sat down.”

 

Wait!” Luhan called as Mei walked out of the café and onto the street. Mei reluctantly slowed down and allowed Luhan to catch up with her.

Can I at least know your name?” Luhan asked desperately.

Meitiao,” she told him, taking a sip of her cold coffee.

Are you- are you from China?” Luhan's eyes widened. Mei nodded, suddenly realising she was walking away from where she was meant to meet Kris.

I have to go. Maybe I'll see you somewhere else,” Mei told him quickly, before running down the street and down an alley. Luckily, she knew her way around this part of town, and she carried on jogging down the alley until she came out in a back street. She followed the street and came to the back of the café she'd just been in. Sighing, she pulled out her headphones and waited outside the front of the café for Kris.

 

How was it?” Mei asked, smiling, as Kris approached her. He shrugged. Mei nodded, and realised that was her cue to stop talking to him, stop caring about him. It was only two in the afternoon, and she had the whole day off.

Can you go home on your own? I'm going to stay here and go shopping,” Mei turned to Kris as they walked down the street to the bus stop.

I guess,” Kris said, no emotion in his voice.

Mei patted his upper arm and smiled. “I'll see you later then!”

Luckily, she didn't catch the murderous look Kris gave her as she turned away.

 

Mei took her time wandering around the city centre; she bought a couple of things she thought would be useful for university and some clothes just because. She found a cute floral pencil case with matching notebooks and planners, as well as a couple of different coloured skater skirts and pretty blouses. She returned back to the house feeling content with what she'd bought. It was around seven in the evening when she closed her door behind her and collapsed onto the sofa. She heard Kris' car pull out of the garage beneath her and breathed out; at least she wouldn't have to worry about him tonight.