Chapter 2

You'll Never Know

The next morning, Mei received a text from Mr and Mrs Wu, saying they'd be returning for a few days. Mei was in a state of panic. The last time they came back she turned into a maid slash butler slash housekeeper slash cook slash nanny. She hurried and got dressed into her neatest clothes and rushed downstairs to tidy things up.

 

Dragging the vacuum from the cupboard, Mei heard movement from upstairs, and assumed it was just the twins. She scurried from room to room, cleaning everything in sight. As soon as the vacuum was on she couldn't hear a thing, and so couldn't hear anyone coming down the stairs. She didn't hear anyone wandering around downstairs.

 

It was like someone hit the slow-motion button as Mei ran out of the living room, towards the kitchen, and crashed into Kris as he was walking the other way, knocking them both to the ground. They twisted in the air and Kris landed on top of Mei, knocking the breath out of them both. They stayed, temporarily frozen, for a moment, before Kris wiped the surprised expression off his face and went back to his usual angry face. Kris held himself in a press up position over Mei and she scrambled out from underneath him, banging her head on the wall in the process.

What the heck?” Kris yelled, standing up and brushing himself off.

I'm... I'm really sorry,” Mei apologised, bowing her head.

How does a person as dumb as you even exist?” Kris shouted, his harsh voice echoing down the corridor.

Mei shrugged her shoulders slightly, then apologised again. “I'm so sorry.”

Just stay out of my way, okay? I don't want to see you,” Kris told her, running a hand through his hair, then pushing past her and running back up the stairs.

 

I have something to tell you both,” Mei began, as she sat with Mr and Mrs Wu while they ate the dinner she'd spent hours cooking.

Go on, dear,” Mrs Wu nodded.

I've been accepted into the university I wanted to go to,” Mei said slowly. The Wus glanced at each other.

Well, I suppose we can find someone to fill in for you in the week, but-”

It's in China,” Mei interrupted.

So... You'll be leaving?” Mr Wu asked, leaning across the table. Mei nodded slowly.

I'm so grateful for everything you've done for me. I won't be leaving for two months, so I hope that gives you enough time to find a replacement for me.”

Mei smiled and stood up then bowed respectfully as she left the room.

 

As Mei made her way back to her room she spotted Kris at the end of the corridor. Not wanting to make him angry again, she ducked into a cupboard and crouched beside the brooms.

Yeah, I'm just coming now. I'll bring the stuff you wanted. How did you even find out about it? You crept in the window? That's so creepy, you weirdo. Yes, I'm coming. See you.”

Mei narrowed her eyes as she strained to hear what Kris was saying on the phone. He'll bring the “stuff” someone wanted? She didn't want to get involved, but she couldn't hide her curiosity.

 

When she thought the coast was clear, Mei stood up and reached towards the door handle just as someone opened the door from the other side. Mei dropped to the ground and pressed herself against the wall as Kris crept inside the cupboard and began moving brooms until he found what he wanted; a tin? Mei made herself as small as possible as Kris put the brooms back and left, without seeing Mei, luckily.

 

Poking her head out of the door to make sure Kris had actually left, Mei let out the breath she didn't know she'd been holding and ran along the corridor, to the playroom. She couldn't decide when to tell the twins that she was leaving, but soon realised she didn't want to be the one who told them.

Hey,” she grinned, skipping into the room. Mei's biggest weakness was that she was an open book. She had to put in loads of effort to make sure the twins couldn't tell she was sad about leaving.

Mei!” the twins squealed, running over to her and climbing on to her lap as she sat on the carpet.

I wasn't gone that long!” Mei laughed.

Did you bring any cupcakes?” Sujin asked the question they really wanted the answer to.

Ah, no. I'll go and get them from the kitchen. Stay here, okay?”

 

Where have they gone?” Mei sighed to herself as she walked into the kitchen and the cupcakes weren't where she left them. She checked in the fridge, she checked in all the cupboards, she even checked inside the bin to make sure she hadn't thrown them away. They were nowhere to be seen.

I'm sorry,” Mei apologised as she went back to the twins. “The cakes have all gone.”

I bet it was Kris,” Sumin huffed. “The other day he was asking who made the cakes because they were really tasty.”

He liked my cakes?” Mei felt her pride swell a little. Then she shook her head. Why was she happy that Kris liked the cakes? They're just cakes. Dumb cupcakes. Dumb, just like her.

Maybe you should go to bed now,” Mei said, taking a twins' hand in each of hers and leading them upstairs. When the twins were in bed she ran to her own room and slammed the door, leaning her head against it.

 

After Mei had sorted her mind out a little, she pulled her laptop out of its case and opened up Skype. She smiled a little to herself when she saw a little dot of green by her favourite name, and brushed her hair with her fingers after clicking on it. The call was accepted after a moment and a tired looking Tao grinned at Mei.

Hey, cutie,” he greeted, blowing her a kiss. Mei blushed and blew one back. “I miss you,” he carried on.

I miss you too,” Mei sighed. “But it's okay, because I'll be seeing you in September!”

Of course! Congrats baby, I knew you'd get in!” Tao smiled brightly. He was about to say something else when his doorbell rang.

Two seconds!” he called in the direction of the door. “Mei, I should've said before- I have to go now. I'll call you soon, okay? I love you!”

Mei nodded sadly, and before she could say goodbye properly, Tao had ended the call and she was left staring at the empty screen. It wasn't the first time Tao had had to leave suddenly, so she pushed her laptop away from herself and stood up, to go and get ready for bed.

 

Mei? Mei, are you awake?”

Mei crawled out of bed and stumbled to the door, where Mrs Wu was waiting.

We have a little favour to ask you. It'll just be for today.”

What is it?” Mei asked, rubbing her eyes.

It's about Kris.”


hello my chumlings!!! i havent proofread this so if there are any mistakes im so sorry i hope you enjoy!!!