The Second Day

The 12 Days of Christmas

 

Two Turtle Doves

 

"On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me,

Two turtle doves."

 


 

His boss gave him hell today.

Jongdae sighs as he cycles through the streets of Seoul, mentally cursing his boss because he’s sure that all of his pictures turns out good, the old fool is just too dumb to understand.

Oops.

The brown haired man groans, he just want another cup of warm café au lait, and he’s craving to try the gingerbread latte, too, and some Yule cakes, probably. Last time, Jongdae saw Yule cakes in the menu of Minseok’s coffee shop, The Eyrie.

He can never be more thankful when he finally arrives at his destination. Jongdae can see the partridge bird, placed neatly next to the shop’s name (He doesn’t understand what the relation between partridge and eyrie, but then again, Minseok is a strange dude).

With a sigh, Kim Jongdae enters the Victorian style shop. The warmth embraces him as soon he steps inside the shop, Jongdae can smell the scent of brewed coffee, hot chocolate, and tea.

He loves the interior of the shop, all brown and cream like coffee with vintage-y surroundings, wooden floor, brick walls. As much as he detests Minseok after their first meeting, Jongdae couldn’t help but to put The Eyrie as one of his top 3 coffee shop list.

Kim Minseok grins when he catches the sight of Jongdae. “Aw, you’re coming!” He says, “What do you want to order?”

“Last time I checked you’re a barista, go do your work.” Jongdae replies flatly.

Minseok pouts but throws him a smile. “One gingerbread latte and a slice of yule cake, please, oh, and I’m taking it home.” Jongdae says blandly to the waitress.

The girl smiles bashfully and Minseok steps closer, “What, you’re not staying here?” He asks.

“Want to,” Jongdae says, paying for his orders at the cashier, “I’m just not in the mood in sitting still in one place, don’t know why, this rarely happens.” He explains.

Minseok frowns, “Rough day?”

“Very.” Jongdae confides, “Bosses and their tiny brains.” He says vehemently.

“Naw, I hope everything gets better, don’t complain too much, though, remember! It’s almost Christmas, enjoy even the littlest thing.” Minseok advices with a grin. Then his eyes lights up, “I know! Why don’t you work here? I can say I’m a pretty decent boss, my co-workers love me!”

Jongdae stares at him blankly before replying his offer with a flat, “No.”

“Nah, worth to try,” Minseok mumbles to himself, “Be careful on your way!” He says when Jongdae leaves.

“I will.”

“Hope the rest of your day turns good!” The barista says loudly, mirth clear in his voice.

“Amen.” Jongdae mumbles.

 

 

 

Jongdae arrives at a small, deserted park. Carefully, he parks his precious bike next to a park bench. The park is pretty much empty, there’s only him and an old man sitting on a park bench not far from him.

He sits on the park bench, hands cupping the Styrofoam cup of the gingerbread latte. Jongdae takes a small sip and instantly liking the taste. He loves how the stinging warmth from the cup warms his glove-covered fingers.

With another sigh, Jongdae takes out a camera from his brown postman bag. Nikon, a gift from his father. His heart still stings a bit, Jongdae can remember his boss’ snarky comments about his pictures, but as soon as his fingers envelopes the device, Jongdae can feel his vexation slowly fading away.

He cracks a small smile and starts to take some picture. A picture of his gingerbread latte, a picture of the snow-covered tree, a candid picture of the old man, picture of a park bench without anyone sitting on it. Jongdae takes a lot of pictures and he prays that he hasn’t use too much of his memory.

“Woah, are you a photographer?” A voice from nowhere scares Jongdae, nearly making him jump.

He turns around to see a male with thick, curly brown hair, his hair is so thick it reminds Jongdae of a sheep (He nearly laughs at the thought). The male is smiling at him, as if interested at what he’s doing.

“Yeah.” Jongdae replies.

“Cool, I always think photographers are cool.” The male says casually, sitting on the park bench which Jongdae previously seated on. “What pictures have you been taking?”

“Um…” Jongdae ponders, looking at the pictures inside his camera, “Random things, I just look around for a good scenery and snap.” He says with a chuckle.

The male smiles, “That sounds really awesome, I know this guy, a friend of mine, he loves to take pictures, like you too, he’s really crazy about cameras.”

“Good for him then,” Jongdae says unconsciously, “Well… not really, the price for lenses is too damn high.”

His companion laughs, “I’m Luhan.” He says, introducing himself.

“Jongdae.” The other replies with a small smile, shaking Luhan’s hand. “You come here a lot?” He asks.

“Yep.” Luhan answers, “Especially in summer, I love to play soccer here, the field’s good.”

“Oh, you do soccer? What team?”

“Manchester United.” Luhan answers proudly, “Chicharito, Rooney, RVP, ahh, I just love all of them.”

Jongdae is not a really big fan of soccer, so he just smile at Luhan’s statement, “Do you come here a lot?” Luhan asks.

“No,” Jongdae replies, snapping a picture of a snow-covered soccer field, probably the one Luhan used to play in, “Just found this park today and I think it’s pretty nice and quiet.”

Luhan laughs, “You should see this park in summer! It’s totally packed, sometimes I would play with the local kids, they’re so funny, you know?”

“Yeah? Awesome.” Jongdae says, snapping with his camera again.

“You really love taking pictures, don’t you?” Luhan mutters, “What makes you love them?”

The question takes him aback. Jongdae lowers his camera absentmindedly, “I…” He speaks. “I don’t know, it all starts with wanting to capture and preserve the moment, I think, so when moments becomes past, I can still see and relive the captured moment, you get what I mean? And… uh, later on, I realize that it’s not just the moment that I want to preserve, it’s mainly the feelings, like when I take pictures on New Year celebration, I always feel renewed, so I take pictures. Later on, when I take a look at the pictures again, I can relive the moment and also relive the feeling. What I felt that day, what actually occurred, and such, or maybe something is just painfully beautiful or impeccable or sad or jubilant that I want to preserve it.” Jongdae explains.

“There are a lot of reasons, actually.” He says. Jongdae becomes flustered when he realizes that he had talked too much. “Sorry, didn’t mean to talk that much.”

“That’s okay.” Luhan says, grinning, “Capturing and preserving the feelings, huh? That’s a good way to put it.” He extols.

“Thanks.”

The conversation dies then, but then, Luhan’s eyes lights up in alacrity, “Hey, I know!” he says cheerfully, “Maybe when summer comes, you can come to this park and take some pictures! I’m sure you’ll find a lot of good moments later, there are always good moments in parks in summer, there’s so many joy and spirit in the air, you should definitely come.”

“Ah, really?” Jongdae laughs, “Alright, I’ll remember it.” He says.

He glances at the male, an idea pops out in his mind, Luhan is not wearing any hat or beanie, just a dark red coat with brown-purple plaid scarf and dark brown sweater underneath, jeans and boots. Typical winter guy fashion, but with a little touch, a good picture can be produced.

Jongdae bits his tongue, nevertheless, he doesn’t feel comfortable with taking Luhan’s pictures, so the male frowns and stares at his camera again.

“This winter is a bit blue to me.” Luhan suddenly says, eyes gazing at the myriad snows that are falling down.

“Blue,” Jongdae repeats, “Why?”

“There’s a soccer match today, and I should’ve been there, playing with my team,” He explains, cheer and mirth slowly fading away from his face, he doesn’t try to dissemble his sadness, and Jongdae respects him for it. “But… not too long ago, I got in an accident, and doctor said I can’t do much with my feet ever since.” Luhan says softly, standing up and stares at something distant, something which Jongdae can never see.

“I mustn’t run, mustn’t stand too long, mustn’t walk too long, what a bummer,” Luhan continues, lightly kicking at a pile of snow underneath him. “I’ve been trying to improve my legs, though, long walks in the morning, do short small jogs every day, doesn’t seem very fecund, though.”

Jongdae stares at the man, he doesn’t understand why Luhan tells him all of these. After all, they have just met for like… 30 minutes ago. Yet Jongdae knows he should listen to him, so he sits quietly and let Luhan vents.

“You look a bit terrible back then, that’s why I decided to talk to you.” Luhan confides, turning back to look at Jongdae with a smile on his face and snow entangled in his hair. “Two suffering souls.”

Jongdae blinks, suddenly remember why he was so glum before. Compared to Luhan, his suffering seems like a small pea in front of a watermelon. He sighs, “I’ve been stupid, my problem isn’t as big as yours.” He says blatantly.

“Isn’t as big?” Luhan repeats cheekily, his smile grows wider, “Problem is problem, big or not, it depends on how you look at it.”

“Well…” Jongdae speaks, “Do you see your problem as a big problem?”

Luhan arches an eyebrow, deciding to sit again, “If I remember how much I love soccer, then yes, it’s very big,” He laughs, “But I can still walk, right? I don’t really have to depend on other people, I can still stand and walk and do things on my own, so yeah, it’s not that big.”

Jongdae chuckles, “You’re very optimistic, you know.”

“Well… have you ever heard stories of people who’ve been judged by others that they can’t do something? Like, when they’re physically disabled and they can’t be an athlete? Well, there are dozens of disabled person out there yet they can make remarkable results, even bigger than us with complete limbs.” Luhan explains.

“Let’s see…” He ponders, “I remember there’s a surfer with one arm yet she’s like the top surfer ever.” Luhan laughs again. “If they can, then why can’t I?”

Jongdae smiles at his statement, “It’s going to take a lot of effort and determination.” He states.

“I know.” Luhan grins, “But if it’s for something you love, you should give it 100%, right?”

Jongdae’s eyes widen, “Yeah.”

Luhan smiles, “We should do that,” He says, “I should give 100% in my effort to run again, so I can play soccer, you should give 100% in your effort so you can create remarkable and amazing pictures!” Luhan says again, face shining with effulgence.

He smiles, Jongdae smiles at Luhan’s statement, suddenly thankful of his optimism. “Alright.”

The male laughs, Luhan stares at him, “Alright, then next year, I’ll meet you here alright, on summer, you should take a lot of pictures, especially me when I’m playing soccer, and those pictures better be good.”

 

 

Jongdae grins, then, his camera snaps as it takes a picture of Luhan standing in front of the soccer field, back facing the camera and bits of his face shown and the snows in his hair. He zooms the picture and Jongdae finds himself loving the specks of snow that’s sticking on Luhan’s long, brown eyelashes.

“Oh, look, those kids are making a snowman!” Luhan says ebulliently, pointing at a small crowd of children bundled up in thick layers of jackets and sweaters who are placing big balls of snow on top of each other.

“I brought the scarf!” One of the little girl says cheerfully, gently wrapping a bright yellow and red striped scarf around the snowman’s neck.

“I brought umma’s unused carrot!” One boy screams with mirth, sticking a carrot in the middle of the snowman’s face.

Jongdae and Luhan laugh at the sight, the snowman is wearing a scarf and three rocks are placed vertical as buttons. Two rocks as eyes, and five as mouth, with a carrot as its nose, and two branches sticking out from its sides, its hands. However, something is missing…

“Aw, I forgot to bring the hat.” One little boy says meekly. His cheeks red and eyes staring at his dark boots.

“Yah, Minjeong, you always forget to bring such things, this snowman is incomplete!” His friend, a girl scolds.

“Calm down, Minji, it’s okay if he forgot, don’t scold him.” Another girl pipes in.

Luhan smiles, eyes locking with Jongdae and he motions Jongdae to follow him. Eyebrow raised, Jongdae follows the brown haired man. Luhan casually walks to the group of children with a big smile plastered on his face.

He pulls out a white and green beanie from his coat pocket and shows it to the kids. “Kids, would this do?” he asks blandly.

The children are perplexed at his sudden approach. Minji is the first one to speak, “Are you sure, oppa? You’re giving your hat to us?”

Luhan nods eagerly, “Of course! Do you guys want me to place it on the snowman’s head?”

“The snowman’s name is Xiumin!” One girl chimes, then regretting her action. She smiles bashfully and quickly hides behind Minjeong.

Luhan laughs, “Alright, let’s place the beanie on top of Xiumin’s head, shall we?” He says and places his beanie on the Xiumin’s head.

The children shout with glee, “Mister, is it alright for Xiumin to use your hat? I mean, I should be the one who gives him hat.” Minjeong asks shyly.

The older guy shakes his head, “Of course it’s alright, Xiumin looks cold after all, he needs it more than I do.”

“Maybe we should bring him coat and gloves tomorrow!” A girl speaks.

Luhan laughs, “Well, you kids should ask your moms first, okay? I’m sure she will be worried if she finds that clothes are missing.”

The children laugh again and thank him, promising him that they would ask their mommies first. Luhan smiles jubilantly, nodding and waving at the little children. Jongdae stares at him and their eyes lock.

Luhan grins, “Frosty the Snowman was a jolly happy soul, with a corncob pipe and a button nose and two eyes made out of coal,” He starts to sing, nudging Jongdae’s arm.

Jongdae laughs and sings along with him as they starts to walk away, “Frosty the Snowman is a fairy tale they say, he was made of snow but the children know how he came to life one day.”

“There must be a magic in that old silk hat they found, for when they placed it on his head he began to dance around,”

“O, Frosty the Snowman was alive as he could be, and the children say he could laugh and play just the same as you and me,”

“Thump thump thump, thump thump thump, look at Frosty go!”

“Thump thump thump, thump thump thump, over the hills of snow!”

They laugh then, ending the song just there. Jongdae smiles as he holds his bike by his side, Luhan by his side. They walk side by side and pass an accessory shop. There’s something in there that catches Luhan’s eyes. “Wait here.” He says.

Jongdae raises an eyebrow and watches from outside as Luhan buys something from the store. The guy exits the store with a big smile on his face. “Give me your hand.” Luhan says.

Confused, Jongdae complies. Luhan’s smile grows wider and he places something on Jongdae’s palm. “For you.”

Jongdae stares at his present. It’s a small ornament of a turtle dove. “Why are you giving me this?” He asks.

Luhan shrugs, “So that you won’t forget me, probably,” He grins, “I have one too, it’s a pair, actually.” He says, showing an exact replica of the ornament in Jongdae’s hand.

“You seem like someone who can be a great friend, I’m giving this to you so we can be friends, and to remember our promise for next summer!” Luhan explains something that’s a little more logical.

Jongdae smiles and puts his turtle dove inside his pocket. “Thank you,” He says, “I’ll definitely remember our promise.”

“Of course,” Luhan chuckles. “I have to go now, appointment with my doctor, see you later, Frosty!” Luhan says brightly, saluting Jongdae as he walks away.

“See you later!” Jongdae replies with a small smile.

With a soft sigh, Jongdae watches Luhan’s figure disappearing before he hops onto his bicycle. His trip to his house is short, but Jongdae keeps thinking about his little turtle dove stuffed in his pocket.