Don't leave me

Welcome to the world of Pokemon

 

A group of little children were crowded around little Hyoyeonie, jeering at her and pinching her. Taeyeon flinched, anger pooling from within her. This wasn't the first time, nor the second. What did she have to do to keep them away from her sister?
 
"Get away from her." Taeyeon spat between clenched teeth.
 
A snot faced brat turned around, wiping his nose with his left hand. "Or you'll do what?" 
 
"Ren'll bite you." Taeyeon signalled for Poochyena to come forward. 
 
The little boy, backed up by all his lackeys snorted. "Yeah right!" 
 
"Try me."
 
Ren snarled and growled, snapping menacingly while moving closer. 
 
"M-m-my brother will get you for this!" The children their heels and fled, leaving an enraged Taeyeon behind.
 
Taeyeon's face softened as she approached her sister. "Are you okay?" 
 
Hyoyeon nodded her head slowly, wiping the little droplets away from her tear stained face. "As long as you're here with me, I'm always okay." 
 
"Aish, you!" Taeyeon chuckled, pinching Hyoyeon's cheeks lightly. 
 
The door slammed open, following by the voices of boisterous boys. 
 
Taeyeon's voice dropped to a whisper. "Now Hyoyeon, listen to Unni, take poochyena and hide behind that closet, okay?" 
 
"Why?" Hyoyeon's voice trembled, as her tiny fingers latched onto Ren's soft fur.
 
"Be good, listen to Unni." Taeyeon nodded, then patted Ren, who obediently led her sister away. 
 
Not five seconds after she had done that, she felt a sharp blow to her back. "Stupid filth! You threatened my brother?" 
 
Taeyeon kept mum.
 
"You're," A punch to the stomach. "Gonna," She collapsed to the ground. "Pay," Kicks to her body. "For," The pain was overwhelming. "This," She didn't think she could feel anymore.
 
She tried taking in gasps of air, but it felt like her lungs were failing her. Everything was burning, and it hurt, it really did. It swelled and throbbed, but the pain wouldn't stop, each blow was delivered then disconnected only to be repeated again. It was an endless cycle.
 
But then she bitterly smiled, she was used to it. She was used to it, she thought, her own voice echoing in her head. She head the door open again. Ah, at last, and quicker than the previous time too. A loud booming voice, and the boys were sent scattering away. She placed her palm onto the ground, propping herself up with her better arm. Hyoyeon ran towards her with tear filled eyes.
 
"Unni!" 
 
Ren too, had nudged it's owner with it's head, hoping she would feel better. 
 
"Taeyeon." The lady commanded. "Come with me." 
 
Taeyeon covered as she coughed. It was damp, but she quickly hid her hand in her pockets lest Hyoyeon saw. Ren on the other hand, whined and growled as he nudged against her stained hand.
 
"Hyoyeon, go to the kitchen and help Suho prepare dinner." 
 
The crying girl nodded through her tears and scurried down, Ren trailing behind her - a habit - in case the boys were to bully her again. 
 
Taeyeon held onto the landlady's rough but warm hand and followed her to the office. The landlady was a kind woman, but with fifteen children under one roof, she had more on her plate than she could carry. 
 
"Sit here, Taeyeon." The landlady signalled to the warn out leather seat as she took the opposite one. 
 
Placing her elbows onto the table and intertwining her fingers, the landlady sighed. "A good family wants to adopt Hyoyeon." She waited for a continuation, but there was nothing. Just a stagnant pause. Just Hyoyeon? Without her? They didn't want her, she finally realised.
 
Taeyeon in a deep breath, the air stinging her as it rushed into her lungs. "A-a?" She wanted to speak but suddenly her voice failed her, a disjointed crackle emerging from . 
 
"They'll be coming next week Taeyeon." The landlady looked kindly at her.
 
But Taeyeon couldn't, wouldn't, didn't want to process what she just heard. Hyoyeon? Hyoyeon was leaving? Leaving her? She in another breath, releasing the one she had been subconsciously holding. Her sister was leaving her. Leaving her. She had to stop the tears from falling. She had to be strong. She had - another ragged breath - to be strong. 
 
"Are t-t-they…" She clutched down tightly onto the armrest. "nice people?" 
 
The landlady nodded. 
 
"Kind people?" 
 
The landlady smiled kindly again, this time laced with pity. "The kindest I've ever known."
 
"Will she be treated well there?" Taeyeon paused and frowned. "With no bullies?" 
 
"Yes, she'll have a much better life than the one she has here." 
 
Taeyeon clutched on the armrest as if she was hanging on for dear life. 
 
A pause.
 
A long, long pause.
 
Then without trembling, without stammering, Taeyeon finally spoke.
 
"I'll help her pack." With that, Taeyeon lifted herself off from the chair, staggering as she dragged her feet towards the door. With her back turned, her tears fell, dripping soundlessly onto the wooden flooring. Quietly, her sadness engulfed her as she lifted one foot after another mechanically towards her own room. 
 
The bed creaked under her weight as she collapsed tiredly onto it. She couldn't believe it still, but the tears flowed nevertheless. Her hand grasped the empty space beside her and it pained her, it physically pained her. The bed was empty. It was empty. 
 
Why me? Taeyeon screamed silently. Why did the only source of happiness in this cruel, cruel world have to be taken from me? It wasn't fair… It wasn't fair at all.
 
After what seemed to be like hours, the door opened slowly and Hyoyeon ran in, jumping into the bed to hug her elder sister. 
 
"Unni!" Her tiny arms wrapped around her sister's waist.
 
"H-h-hyoyeonie." Taeyeon choked out, tears immediately flowing out. She couldn't even say her sister's name anymore.
 
Hyoyeon looked at her sister worriedly as she tried to thumb away the older girl's tears. 
 
"What's wrong?" 
 
"I love you, Hyoyeonie. I really do." Taeyeon sobbed even more, hugging her sister impossibly closer.
 
"Unni?" 
 
"You know," Sniff. "Unni will only do what's good for you right?" Sniff.
 
"I don't understand." 
 
Taeyeon smiled through her tears and kissed her sisters forehead. "Me neither."
 
Then both of them cried until the darkness lulled them away.