Chapter 7

Action

            POV: Baekho

JR's idea is working. I almost can't believe it. The process is a slow and tiring one, yes. There are so many cables and we have to break them one by one, moving them close enough to JR so that he can use his power to disintegrate them. Even with the help of my voice and Aron's prominent muscles, moving each cable is torturous. Luckily it's becoming easier for JR to get to them himself as more and more are destroyed. Eventually we reach the point where he doesn't even need our help. I choose to move away then. Once liberated, his arms seem a whole lot more dangerous. I've seen what he's done to the cables and I prefer not to be within reaching distance.

He's obviously very excited with the idea of being able to move again and I understand that but I don't trust the careless way he's waving his arms around. I'm positive that if he touches me, even if it's by accident, it'll end up very badly.

I give Aron a signal to move away as well and the both of us back up a few steps, watching JR continue to break the cables.

He screams in excitement. I thought he was getting better, but the craziness on his face right now is almost scary. He's laughing hysterically and trips, falling off the chair he had previously been tied to. Now only his feet are still connected. It looks pathetic the way he sits there looking upset and staring at his feet like he's wondering if it's worth it to get up and break them or if it would be easier to just cut off his feet.

I have no doubt that he'd do it. With that thought in mind, I walk up to him and pull a cable towards him, helping him finish without having to stand.

Without feet he won't be much help to us.

            POV: Aron

JR is almost free. Baekho is helping him with the last of the cables so I don't think I'm needed anymore.

In the farthest corner of the mirror room, Minhyun is happily chattering away with Ren. What are they talking about? It's been a while since I noticed them but I'm not close enough to hear their words. They're speaking softly and this lunatic won't stop screaming at the cables.

They seem to be having fun. Since when do they get along so well? They only just met each other! Well, I've also just met him so I doubt I have much right to say that.

But they're making me nervous! That blond kid keeps looking at me with his expressionless face while Min laughs. Are they talking about me? Of course they are. But with Ren's poker face it's hard to tell whether it's good or bad.

On top of that, I'm jealous. Why doesn't Min laugh like that with me? He's so handsome when he laughs... He seems to be enjoying himself with Ren. Does he feel something for Ren? Does he feel something for me?

"Yeah! you, stupid cables! Who is it that can't move now, eh?"

The sight of JR jumping and running all over the place, yelling at the cables like he's possessed doesn't let me concentrate.

            POV: JR

Finally. I feel free. FREE! I can run, jump, move. I CAN MOVE! These cables won't hold me down ever again. NEVER AGAIN.

One of the cords tangles around my ankle and I fall to the floor.

STUPID CABLE! YOU WANT TO FIGHT, HUH?

I shake my foot but the bastard doesn't let go. You think you're better than me, huh? You'll see!

I grab it and twist it between my fingers. Just one touch and it disintegrates. Now you won't make fun of me, huh? Idiot!

Anyone else? Anyone else want to defy me? You won't dare to, right?

I get to my feet, victorious in the fight against the cables. They thought they could handle me!

As soon as I attempt to straighten up, my head collides against the back of the chair.

Stupid chair. Who told you to get in my way? You did that on purpose, right? Well you just signed your own death sentence! GET TO IT!

I jump onto the chair, ready to destroy it with my powers, but my hands close in around nothing.

The chair moved. It moved! AHHHH!

            POV: Baekho

This is too much fun. I know it's not the moment for laughter – we have to escape and each second is valuable – but I've been watching them laugh. Minhyun and Ren. Such a pretty smile my little one has. I couldn't resist. I want to see him laugh like that a while longer. All it takes is two notes.

Although I think that, if I don't leave the chair be, JR will become even crazier than what he already is. That'll be a problem. Right now he looks like a wild animal, staring so intently at his prey and ready to pounce at any moment. As soon as he lunges, I move the chair to the side with a hum.

Alright, enough. We've laughed enough.

I move the chair closer to him. He stares at it suspiciously. Finally, he's confident it won't move and reaches out with one hand. One touch and the chair disappears into nothing but a tiny pile of black dust.

It sends shiver up my spine.

"Remind me never to fight with him. I don't want to end up as a pile of dust."

Minhyun's right again. Although I have a feeling it would be much more disgusting than a pile of dust.

"Alright then." I say, "Let's go now."

            POV: JR

I've triumphed again. I won against the chair. No one can beat me.

I have this sensation that it's not actually such a great accomplishment. I don't know. It's like... I feel stupid. I look towards the others to see that they're preparing to leave.

For us to leave.

To leave this room of mirrors, this cage, this prison. Can we? Can we get out? No, no we can't. That's why the doors are closed. The locks. The cables...

But there are no more cables. The door is wide open and there's nothing holding me down anymore. We can leave?

"Let's go, JR." It's the blond. Baekho.

We're leaving...

            POV: Baekho

I call out to him because he's trailing behind like he doesn't want to go. He doesn't listen to me.

He glances around the room with empty eyes. He looks at his surroundings without focusing on anything until, finally, his eyes land on Ren.

Ren.

He steps towards him. What is he doing?

            POV: Ren

At last we're leaving. The lunatic is free and the sooner we leave the better. I stand with difficulty, taking note of exactly how heavy the cuffs are against my wrists. I had almost forgotten that I still had them.

They're annoying. Especially the ones around my ankles but there's nothing I can do about it.

Suddenly the lunatic looks at me and begins to walk closer. What does he want now? He seems very determined. He's moving quickly and raises his hand towards me. What do you want? Don't get closer!

            POV: Baekho

What does he want to do? I have to stop him... He's not thinking of attacking Ren, right? He can't. No matter how crazy he is...

I can't let him touch him.

            POV: Ren

Baekho hurries towards JR. What's he doing? It looks like he wants to... stop him? No, don't touch him. No, Baekho!

            POV: Baekho

I reach him and don't hesitate even a second in grabbing him. I pull on his bright clothing to stop him from getting any closer to Ren.

I squeeze my eyes shut, waiting for him to spin around and attack me. Waiting for the pain...

But nothing. When I finally open my eyes reluctantly, he's staring at me with eyes that are clearer than ever. He's confused, the look on his face clearly asking me what the hell I'm doing.

"I just want to take off his cuffs..."

Oh. Now I feel like an idiot...

            POV: JR

I had noticed that the shackles around Ren's limbs are bothering him. I thought I could help him with my ability.

But as soon as I approach him in order to take them off, he backs away, scared, and Baekho grabs me to restrain me.

I guess it makes sense. I'm dangerous...

Yesterday the happy girl's arm exploded. The blond knows this and doesn't want me to get too close to his boy.

He protects him. From me because I'm dangerous, because I could hurt him...

But I don't want to hurt him. I want to help him because they've helped me and I owe them.

            POV: Ren

Oh . Based on the face he makes, our reactions have hurt him... and it's a normal expression to make. He just wanted to help and we're treating him like a psychopath. Although taking into consideration his ability and how insane he seems... it's justifiable, right?

"I'm sorry, JR. I was just surprised and..."

Baekho lets him go and apologizes.

"It's okay, I understand... It's normal that you'd want to protect your boyfriend from a lunatic, right?"

His boyfriend... What does he mean? Me? But... , I'm blushing. Choi Minki, control yourself! I stare intently at the floor. What do I say now?

"No... He's not my boyfriend. We're nothing..."

I lift my head sharply. Baekho's words are like a bucket of cold water. I get that I disappointed him before but... I was hoping that he truly did like me. But no. This means he doesn't care and so there's no point in telling him what I feel...

            POV: Baekho

Why did I say that? Well, it doesn't really matter, does it?

Why should it matter...? I sigh.

I apologize to JR again, feeling like a complete idiot, and silently observe as he brushes over the shackles with his fingers.

Seconds after, there's nothing left of the cuffs but dust and Ren's wrists are free.

            POV: Minhyun

These two are idiots.

Ren hasn't changed his expression after that comment. He still looks emotionless, as always, to everyone else. But not to me. Now I know him well enough to look to his eyes, finding those invisible emotions.

And I find hurt. I knew I would. He's hurting.

. And I had just convinced Ren to talk with him and fix things. Now he just had to say that. But you can see that Baekho likes him too from miles away! Ren is too caught up to notice and I doubt he'll be able to bring himself to say anything. All the progress of our chat had just gone to hell! Damn you, Baekho! How can he be such an imbecile?

Ren stares at his wrists absentmindedly but it's clear that he's not thinking of them. Baekho just looks at him with a dumb expression on his face. I should go find a bucket before this room is flooded in drool.

Baekho's eyes abruptly slide over towards me. He probably noticed the intense glare I'd been giving him. A glare he doesn't understand.

"Idiot!"

Is all that I manage to say before looking away and hugging Ren to give him some much-deserved comfort.

Baekho just looks on without understanding a thing. Does he still not notice anything? He really is an idiot...

            POV: Aron

The issue of Ren's cuffs has been resolved. Everyone is acting a bit weird. I don't really get what's going on but Baekho says we should leave. Sounds good to me. I hope the lunatic doesn't do something stupid on the way.

I glance at Minhyun. Will he let me carry him this time? He looks much more rested, more recuperated. Surely he can walk on his own and, based on the way he looked at me when I'd caught him before he fell... Actually, since we've gotten here he's been acting differently with me. Is it because of the kiss? That must've bothered him...

Damn it! How could I have been such an idiot? Now I'm feeling upset too. He probably hates me and the thought of that hurts...

He returns my gaze and smiles. He's smiling at me? He's smiling just like before like nothing has happened. Well, no, his grin isn't exactly the same. His eyes are flirtatious with a drop of something else. I must be imagining it.

He stands and tries to walk. He's moving better than before but it's still obviously a struggle. He approaches with his hands outstretched like he's looking for something to lean on, staggering a bit. I quickly move closer and offer him my hand without thinking. I hesitate. I don't want him to reject me again. That would hurt even more. But he doesn't. He takes my hand and squeezes it tightly.

"Will you help me again please?"

He says softly and – before I can respond that of course I will, that he can always rely on me – he places a tiny kiss on my cheek. I can feel my face flushing. My heart gives a little leap of joy in my chest and begins to pound as if it wants out. A knot forms in my throat, blocking my words so that I have to respond with a nod instead. I help him climb onto my back. We're ready to get out of here.

Right before we leave the room behind Baekho (who is at the head of the group with a hand against a dazed JR), I see Ren smiling widely and winking at Min from the corner of my eye.

            POV: Ren

It feels good to finally be out of the lunatic's cage. Baekho is at the front with JR and behind him are the lovebirds while I'm in the back. Aish, I have to find a way to speak with Baekho. I can't leave things as they are. While we advance down the hall, I remember our cards. I dig around my pockets to make sure they're there... but they aren't. What? How is that possible? I don't have any other pockets and I'm sure that I put them there. . , , . They must've fallen out in room 5. I have to find them. We haven't gotten very far yet. I'll just go and be back before they even notice I'm gone. I can't tell them I'm looking for Baekho's notes...

Without making a sound, I spin on my heel and retrace our steps, leaving behind my companions. Looks like they didn't notice. Good. The further I get from them, the faster I go. I don't have much time.

I finally reach the cage again. I enter and search each corner with my eyes. Where the hell are they? I go to where I'd been talking with Minhyun. They have to be around here. At last I spot something white in the very corner. My notes! I'm relieved. I can leave now. I put them away again, but this time place them inside my shirt. I don't want to lose them again.

I run down the same path at a brisk pace. There doesn't seem to be anyone. Perfect.

A shrill sound abruptly accosts my ears. What the hell is that? , the alarm! I begin to run, covering my ears with my hands. . How can I have such horrible luck? I pause at a crossroads of hallways. I look from side to side and don't find anything. But then... a stab of pain.

Everything goes dark.

            POV: JR

We continue down the hall. There's a door at the end. We have to make it to the door. The blond guides me, careful not to touch my skin. These halls are like a labyrinth. I'm lost. I don't understand where we're going. We must've gone through this hall at least three times. Each turn is the same. But he seems to know where he's going so I follow him in silence. What else can I do?

After a while, I can feel myself falling back into the darkness. The shadows are growing. I stop walking and he sings until the blood and darkness disappears. The white walls are all around me again.

And then there's a sound.

Is it in my head? Can anyone else hear it?

It hurts. IT HURTS! The siren pierces through my ears, shaking my brain. It drills into my skull, makes it explode. It's going to kill me! It's too loud, too noisy. Make it shut up! Someone stop it! I can't take it! ENOUGH! SHUT UP!

            POV: Minhyun

The sirens. The alarms have gone off. Oh god, they hurt! Why are they so high pitched? They scare me and, unconsciously, my hold around Aron tightens. I glance around quickly. We're all frightened.

Hold on. And Ren? Where's Ren?

            POV: Baekho

They've started the alarms. The doors close and now we can't go any further. We have to hide.

"Ren's not here." Minhyun says, voice tiny compared to the one he'd used to tell us that we're doomed.

What does he mean he's not here? REN! He can't have disappeared, not now. Have they caught him? Please, no, they can't have.

"We have to look for him."

I start to run back down the hall, undoing the path we'd just gone down, forgetting everything else. Something stops me. Aron holds me back, keeping me from moving any further.

"No, the alarms are sounding. They're looking for us; we have to hide."

Hide? How am I supposed to keep still somewhere when Ren has disappeared?

But Aron's grip is strong. His fingers are like clamps around my arm as he drags me down the hall.

            POV: Aron

Baekho resists as best he can but I'm stronger and pull him back to the others. Min had had to get down from my back when I'd gone after Baekho and is now waiting, looking after JR. I hope he behaves himself and doesn't give Min too much trouble.

When we arrive, Baekho seem to finally have reached his senses. He follows me passively even if he's frustrated and sad because of Ren's absence.

Min pats his back and smiles reassuringly. "It's alright. We'll find him. I'm sure of it."

Baekho gives him a forced smile, grateful for his encouragement.

I pull Min onto my back, grab JR's hand to make sure he doesn't get out of control and with my other hand I hold on to Baekho so he won't change his mind.

I kick open the first door I find and usher everyone inside. I close it behind us and we sit there, in the dark, in silence. All we can hear is the strong alarms from behind the door.