Chapter 13

Action

            POV: Ren

I'm sleepy. My eyes feel heavy and my head throbs with a deafening pain. My whole body hurts. I just want to sleep... but I'm scared. I don't want to dream again. Each time I close my eyes, I see the image of Baekho dying in front of me again. Because of me. And being unable to do anything about it.

And now he's out there. They have to return quickly. Min needs food and JR needs blankets and medicine. But... what happens if they're caught? We'd be found and the three of us can't defend ourselves. My dream would become a reality. We'd never see the sun again, or my family, or Baekho...

I try to curl up further. I'm trembling in the corner beside Minhyun but I don't know if it's because of the temperature of this frozen room or because of fear.

"What if we don't make it?" I finally say aloud. I feel like if I keep turning it in my head, I'll become crazier than JR. I need someone to tell me that we'll make it.

"At least we'll have tried." Minhyun responds.

I twist around to gape at him. What? What does he mean 'we'll have tried'? That's not enough! We have to succeed!

"No, Min, that's not enough! We have to do it. Would you be satisfied if we die in the attempt? If we never get out of here? What, do you not want to see your family again?" He looks away. I can't believe he can be so cold. Not with how much I miss them... "Well, I do... I... had a little sister. No, I have a little sister. Minna. She was six years old when I left, and she always woke up before I left for school to say goodbye. 'I'll wait for you here' she'd tell me... and she said it that morning too, and I told her, like always, that I wanted to see her standing there when I got back. They caught me on my way home from school. That afternoon, I didn't return. I can't make her wait any longer. I have to go back to her. I promised and I'm going to keep my word."

            POV: Minhyun

I listen to Ren's story with an empty gaze, lost in some corner of the room. It's sad and also touching. I feel sorry for him, for how they separated him from his family. It must be very frustrating to be dying to see someone and not be allowed to. I struggle to imagine exactly how it must feel.

But at the same time, it makes me envious. If only I could say the same. If only there was someone waiting for me on the outside, waiting at the door of my home. If only I had somewhere to return to.

Ren turns towards me with difficulty to stare at me, waiting for me to say something. I suppose he wants me to talk about my family and of how much I miss them. I don't want to talk about them. I don't say anything.

"What the hell is wrong with you, druggie? Did a cat catch your tongue? Does it not matter to you whether or not you return to your family? Does it make no difference whether you see them ever again? They must be looking for you desperately! And yet you don't care about them?"

He speaks rapidly, almost without breathing. Is he angry at me for not caring about my family? As if I matter to them...

"My parents sold me."

"What?"

At last he's quiet, and now he's staring at me in shock.

I sigh and take a deep breath to give me the willpower to tell him what happened. My voice trembles a bit. It still hurts me to talk of it.

"I was sitting in the living room when they came. I heard my parents talking with them and went in to see what was happening. They told my parents that they wanted me, they offered a few digits. My dad told them he'd never sell his son... not for that price. I left with them for the double. So as you can see, no, I don't want to return home."

            POV: Ren

I can't believe it. Sold? By his parents? What kind of family would do that? They don't deserve to be called parents... When I think of how happy I've always been in my home... I can't even imagine what it'd be like for my parents to do something like that.

I don't know what to do or say. It doesn't surprise me that he doesn't want to return home and I've just realized that I've basically stuck my foot in my mouth. Good job, Ren.

"I'm sorry, Min, I didn't know—"

"No, you can't be sorry. How would you understand? You don't know what it's like, you can't understand! You can't understand what it's like living with a father than ignores you and whose wife changes every few months. With sisters that must have been ecstatic when I disappeared just because that way they'll receive a larger part of the inheritance. Being surrounded by people that would do anything to be in the position you never asked for and having the responsibility over your head of being heir to a world you hate and... and when you think your life couldn't be worse, you realize that you're not worth more than a few thousand to your father! Your own father!!! And they stuff you in a dark hell and—... I'm sorry... I know we've all gone through a lot, but just thinking of it..."

Minhyun goes quiet and silence falls. I don't dare to say anything.

"I... think that I understand you in a way." JR is the one to speak up at last, "Not about your family; I can't even imagine what it must be like to grow up surrounded by people like that, and know that I both pity and respect you in equal parts. It must've been hard. But I do understand the feeling of not having anyone waiting for you outside of this place. You want to escape, but you're just as afraid of failing as you are of succeeding. Because if you make it, what will you do outside of here? Where would you go? What will become of you?"

            POV: JR

I leave the question up in the air. I wasn't aware of thinking that way until now but suddenly I realize that it worries me. Maybe I'm nothing but a display in here, but I'm important. Outside, I'm no one.

"What happened with your family?" asks the innocent blond.

I laugh, a bit hysterically. I prefer not to think of it.

"If you don't want to say..." Minhyun is more understanding. In a way, he knows what it's like to not want to remember something...

"No, it's fine. You two said yours, so now it's my turn." I close my eyes and take a deep breath, trying to not think of what I'm about to say. "They killed my parents." My own words strike me. I've never thought about it in a right state of mind. "In fact, I have the image of my mother dying engraved in my mind. It's the main cause of... well, of my insanity. Why deny it? I remember her face, with blood spurting from between her lips, the brush of her body as she fell on the rug. And how it soaked up blood and more blood, thick blood, warm blood..."

Her arms reaching for me, her scream 'Jonghyun... Jonghyun...'

"JR... JR!"

I open my eyes that I already had open and return to the cold room. Minhyun is kneeling beside me with a hand on my shoulder. Ren is sprawled a bit further away. The both of them look at me worriedly.

I realize that I'm trembling, that I'm breathing with difficulty, that I'm tense. I inhale and exhale deeply multiple times, focusing on how the air fills my lungs once again.

"Thank you," I say to them, "for waking me. And... I'm sorry. This happens to me often."

Luckily, it's happening less and less.

            POV: Minhyun

Now I understand the origin of JR's insanity. Witnessing the death of your parents in front of your own eyes must be horrible. Parents that care about you, of course. My case is different. I think I'd even enjoy seeing them die before me. Those people that have never cared for me, that have ruined my life, that I've always hated. They'd definitely be better off dead. To me, it's as if they already are.

But his really did love him. And they killed them. He saw them die. These disgusting people.

Until now I've thought of JR as just 'the crazy boy'. I hadn't even stopped to think of what might've lead to his insanity. Unconsciously, I simply accepted that that was how he is, as if he's always been that way. I even thought that he was a burden to us, some extra luggage because we had to watch out for him if he started screaming or did something for them to discover us.

I feel bad for thinking like that. I'm horrible! Poor JR! And, on top of that, he thanks me!

He must've seen the guilt on my face because he smiles as if to tell me 'don't be sad, cheer up, everything will turn out fine, you'll see'. His mouth smiles but his eyes are sad and full of pain from the memories of a past that is much too traumatic. Just like mine. We share a knowing look. Neither of us say anything, there's no need; eyes can say so much more than words. And this instance, this small gesture we share full of companionship, pain, and hope, unites us more than anything else could.

I like this guy and I regret everything I've thought of him. I'll make it up to him. I want us to be good friends.

I hear sobs behind me, pulling me from my thoughts. I turn around without understanding what could be happening. It's Ren. He's kneeling not too far away from us and no matter how much of his face he's covering with his hands, it's obvious that he's crying. Ren? The inexpressive Ren is crying?

I share another look with JR and find in his expression just as little understanding of what's happening as I have.

"Blondie? What... what's wrong?"

I crawl to him and carefully pull his hands from his face to find his eyes drowning in a waterfall of tears. I touch his cheek gently in an attempt to dry his tears without much success.

"Ren... come, tell us, what's wrong? Have we said something bad?"

He shakes his head. He can hardly speak.

"It's just that... just that... I..." He swallows with difficulty and gulps in air, "I thought my situation was unfortunate, but you two are so sad... I didn't know you've gone through so much... I'm so sorry..."

He's crying for us? Well, I definitely hadn't been expecting that. I didn't know that he's so empathic and sensitive...

"Come now, we didn't tell you to make you sad. Ren, don't cry, please..."

"He's right, blondie. I'm sorry for yelling at you before. Remembering puts me in a bad mood, but none of this is your fault. Don't feel bad..."

"But it's..."

He keeps crying. I can't think of anything to do other than to hug him. He rests his head against my shoulder and holds onto my body tightly as he sobs. I feel him trembling. I place one of my hands on the back of his head and softly comb through his hair, trying to comfort him. No one says anything and the blonde's sobs are the only sound in the frigid room.

            POV: Aron

Baekho and I continue stuffing the bags with all the food we can take to our companions. I have to admit that I was dying of hunger as well. I think I'm putting more food in my stomach than in the bag. I have an excuse – I have to be strong so that I can protect my Min.

Crash!

What was that? Startled, I drop the packet of cookies that I had in my hands and spin around.

Baekho must've had a marble bowl of oranges in his hands because now the bowl is in sharp pieces on the floor around his feet and the oranges are rolling on the kitchen tile like bowling balls.

This useless punk! He's making a racket! They're looking for us everywhere; if he continues like this, they'll find us.

I'm about to yell something less than nice, but I hold back when I see his expression.

His face is rigid with worry. His eyes stare emptily and he's biting his bottom lip nervously. He doesn't even blink and I notice how his hands are still held out as if he's still holding up the bowl.

"Baekho? What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"It's Ren... Ren is crying... I feel him crying... But I don't know why..."

Alright, it'd be better that I don't tell him everything I was going to because of his noisiness.

Should I comfort him? No, how would I do that? I don't like him! But right now he looks pitiful...

I decide to give him a small pat on the back as a sign of understanding, but I don't say anything.

Then I turn away and begin to fill the bag with cheese, bread, and carrots. Ooh, wow, a melon! In you go.

            POV: Baekho

We finish filling the three bags we have and set out again. I'm worried about Ren. I know it wasn't anything too serious but... it worries me... Why am I always far away when I want to be with him? Well, that doesn't really make sense because I always want to be with him but... right now I feel like he needs me... that maybe he needs me... Don't think of that.

"You take the big one and I'll carry the other two?" I suggest in an attempt to distract myself with the distribution of the work.

He laughs, almost with contempt.

"Tsk... You grab one of the small ones and leave the rest to me."

Damn arrogant bigot!

"Hey! Why do you think you can take more weight than I can?"

"Because I can." He says simply, grabbing the two heaviest bags. "C'mon, weakling, let's go."

I swallow my pride because it's true that he's stronger than I am. But that's just what his ability is, right? I pick up the package he left for me and follow him, hurrying to the front and exiting the room before him.

"If it weren't for me, you would be lost." Tsk.

I hear him scoff behind me.

"Yeah, sure. The only thing you've done until now is make us go in circles like roundabouts."

"Drop it, dwarf. We have a job to do."

"Dwarf? Excuse me but I'm taller than you."

"Obviously not."

"Obviously yes."

Guards are near. We have to turn around.

"—In fact, I think I'm actually a lot taller than you. You just have those platform boots to—"

I twist around to face him, angry now.

"First of all, you have the same boots. And now shut up and follow me because there are guards coming this way."

We continue in the opposite direction, now making sure not to make a sound. We turn the next corner and then go back in the direction we were going, but they also turn two halls over and cut us off. We back up again in an attempt to find another path. Again they cut us off, almost as if they know where we are. But it's not possible; we've avoided the cameras this whole time.

We have to get to the showers where we'll find medicines and something to serve as a jacket, but each time that we move towards it, the guards intercept our path. There are only three. We can defeat them. But the idea isn't appealing. I don't want to kill them, I still feel horrible from the last time. I don't think I'll ever be able to get rid of that sensation and if I can avoid adding to it then I will.

At last, we manage to get around them and arrive at the large room where they used to fix us up for our performances.

            POV: Aron

The showers. The makeup hall. Finally, somewhere I recognize. We had spent various minutes going in circles in halls that all looked the same to me, Baekho indicating whether to go to the left or the right... I feel like I turned the same corner multiple times. I had started to believe that we were totally lost and that the blond was enjoying making me dizzy. And since he told me there were guards, I couldn't open my mouth to complain. Because without him I won't be able to return to where Min is and, besides, we need him in order to get out of here, or else...

The both of us know this place so we don't have too much trouble finding the medicines we want, blankets, some clothes and gloves for JR. We don't want to end up like that guard.

Baekho puts the medicines in his bag. I'll put the rest in mine.

Oops, I think I've gone overboard with the food. Not even a needle would fit in here. I try to fit the blankets by pressure alone in the large bag, but it doesn't work. Then I start emptying things and redistributing them to optimize the space. Nothing. It's useless. I try again.

"What, do you need an instruction manual to put a few damn blankets in a bag?" I send him a murderous look but he doesn't give me the chance to answer. "Get out of the way! I'll do it or else we'll be here for hours and, in case you've forgotten, we're short on time."

I move away and he starts rummaging through the bag.

"Eh, be careful! You're going to break the cookies!"

"Stop complaining! Huh... what's this? Why'd you bring a melon?"

"What's the problem? I like melons and I'm sure Min likes them too."

"Of course there's a problem! It's heavy and it takes up a lot of room and it's useless. We're leaving it here."

"You're the useless one! The melon is coming with us."

            POV: Baekho

This old man is exhausting. I don't see the point in arguing with him.

            POV: Aron

With a heavy sigh, he puts the melon back in the bag. Aha, I've won! In the end he manages to fit everything except for a few blankets.

"It's fine, I just have one bag. I'll carry them in my hands. Come on, let's go."

Before opening the door, Baekho closes his eyes and expands his mind.

"They're still there but if we go to the right towards hall 23, pass door 4T8 and turn left we'll be able to avoid them."

I didn't understand any of that. But, whatever, I nod and he'll guide me.

We exit and I follow him through the labyrinth like halls. I'm so concentrated on my thoughts of taking food to Min and how happy he'll be that I don't notice when Baekho stops abruptly and nearly run into his back.

"What are you doing? Be careful, aren't you looking where you're going?"

"It's your fault. Why did you stop suddenly?"

"They've moved. They're coming closer. They're just two halls from us."

"Can we avoid them?"

"Yes, but I think it would be better to just confront them."

"But didn't you say it'd be better to go undetected?"

"Yeah, but think about it. Right now, we're very far from the old room 5. They don't know we're hiding there. If we let them see us around here, it'll distract them. They'll think we're hiding around here and they'll stop looking for us where the others are waiting for us. It'd be a good way to protect them."

Saying it that way, I think he's right...

"Baekho, I... I don't want to feel like a murderer again..."

            POV: Baekho

Hearing that brings me back to the last fight, to the feeling of that guard's body as I wrapped the strings around his neck, the screams, the smell of blood. And the sensation of repulsion, feeling dirty and miserable. Your conscious really does feel heavy, dragging you towards a hell you've condoned yourself to. I don't want to feel that again either.

I nod.

"I don't want to kill them either." I sigh. "Should we wait, then?"

"No... I want to get back quickly... Isn't there another way to... to not have to kill them?"

"Capture them alive and lock them up somewhere?" I suggest and then shake my head, realizing how crazy my idea is. "If we had some way to leave them unconscious..."

His eyes go as wide as plates suddenly and he smiles.

"Of course!"

He pulls me, dragging me and retracing our steps back to the showers. Once there, he lets go and, at a speed in which I can barely follow his movements, he goes through the cabinets on the far wall and looks through the boxes.

He returns to my side seconds later, holding in his hands a small black box. He opens it, revealing seven syringes that are full of a clear liquid.

"These are the sedatives they used on Ren." He explains. "I saw them before but I didn't think they'd be useful for anything."

Sedatives. Of course. If we get these into them... It's a good way to get them off our backs without having to kill them and it doesn't seem too difficult... Part of my conscious lightens.

"Good idea." I agree, convinced. "Let's try it then."

We just need three but we take the whole container in case we need them later. We return to the place we were at before. The guards are still patrolling the area.

He insists on taking two syringes and take on two of them since he's faster so he'll be able to dispose of them 'before you even lay a finger on the other one'. Sure, dwarf, whatever you say... Even though it seems egotistical and overconfident to me, I go along with it because I honestly don't feel strong enough to go up against two at the same time.

            POV: Aron

I follow Baekho until he stops at the corner.

"They're on the other side."

We leave the bags on the floor; if we have to fight they'll get in the way. And we look each other in the eye. On three, we run at them. One... two... Three!

            POV: JR

It's cold, really cold, and in my dreams even the blood freezes up. I can't feel my fingers or my hands or my feet. Bit by bit, I'm losing the feeling in my body, but not completely because something burns. A potent fire that embraces me but that, even so, isn't capable of keeping the cold at bay. And it hurts... My head hurts. My eyes, my arms hurts, and my throat hurts from breathing in the frigid air...

"I think he has a fever. Maybe it's because of the wound?"

"Maybe. Is he conscious?"

"I don't know..."

I hear the voices of my companions but I don't open my eyes to look at them. I have enough to do with making my chest rise and fall, rise, fall, rise...

            POV: Minhyun

JR seems to be getting worse. I place a hand on his forehead. God, he's burning!

We have to do something. I look at Ren, sprawled on the floor and not too far away. He doesn't seem to be in a good enough condition to help me. Alright, I'll have to deal with this alone.

Something occurs to me. With a brisk movement, I rip a piece of fabric from my pants and use my ability to soak it with water. Then I place it over his forehead. Let's see if this helps to lower his fever a bit. I don't have anything else.

            POV: Ren

Min finally finds a good way to lower JR's fever. His power is very useful unlike mine. It's not helpful at all and I can't even get to my feet. Right now, I feel like I'm nothing more than a burden to them.

"Min... I'm sorry for not being more useful."

            POV: Minhyun

Poor Ren. It looks like he's really worried because he can't help. Or I want to think that, anyway, because his expression doesn't say much... I give him a soft smile.

"It's alright, blondie, I'll take care of it. You rest and get better, and then you'll be able to help us."

He nods with that same expression that doesn't say anything.

"Listen, since you can control the elements, can't you light something on fire? I'm freezing and I think it'd help JR too..."

He's right. I was so worried about our pitiful state that I didn't even think of that. Maybe he's right when he says I'm a tad dumb...

I use my power to light a flame of a suitable size to warm us. But I can't keep it in my hands for long; it's tiring.

I have to light something up. I glance around but I don't see anything that would work. Finally, I decide to take off the hood of my uniform and light it on fire. It's padded. I hope it burns well. For the moment it's working, but I don't know how long it'll last...

            POV: Ren

Min starts burning his jacket but I don't think it'll last long. We need something else to burn. I take a deep breath and try to get up. Good, it's not that hard. Slowly, I start to inspect the cell, looking for anything that will burn but it's nearly empty. I cross the main path at a slow pace, leaning on the rail of wood. Wait. Wood!

"Eh, Min! The bridge is made of wood!"

"Oh! Perfect!"

"It's partly rotten so I hope it'll break easily..."

"Do you think it'll light?"

"I don't know, let's try..."

I move around a part of the rail with my hand. It looks rotten but not enough to break with my hands. I take a step back and give it a kick. Ouch! Okay, bad idea, but it broke a bit. I kick at it a few more times, trying not to lose my balance, until finally a good piece falls off.

I hope it'll work.

"Min! We have a piece!"

            POV: Minhyun

I look up and find Ren walking towards us clumsily with a piece of wood in his hands. When he gets to us, he shows it to me. It's damp and rotten. Will we really be able to light that? Regardless, we have to try it.

I hold the burning hood out to Ren and he places the wood over the flames. The only thing we get it smoke, and seconds later Ren lets the wood go with a screech.

"Ouch! It burned me!"

Great, Ren is burned, there's a bunch of smoke, and the wood hasn't even sparked.

"Sorry..."

We won't manage anything this way. I grab the piece of wood and concentrate on feeling each and every molecule of water it contains that is keeping it damp. I force them out and they evaporate. It's difficult, but bit by bit I manage to dry the wood. Ugh, how tiring! I tried it once before and I knew it was possible but... I don't remember it being so exhausting...

I don't manage to dry it completely but it's no longer that damp. I twist around to find the fabric I had lit but the fire has gone out. , I'll have to create another flame.

I sigh in resignation and concentrate on making a fire again. Once I have it in my hands, I hold it close to the wood, mentally crossing my fingers so that it'll light up. This time it does, although it takes a bit, and I release a relieved breath at the same time that I collapse, dizzy.

            POV: JR

How warm... it's no longer the burning fire nor the freezing opposite. It's a sweet and bright warmth that relaxes me. Bit by bit, I start to feel my feet again. My hands, my fingers, my ears.

I'm recovering my body back. The pain in my head increases. The pain in my arm is more noticeable, but it's supportable. I open my eyes and see flames dancing in front of me. It's beautiful... I remember that before, while Ren was lost, I fought with a small flame that Minhyun created, unable to comprehend that it was fire. And it burned, and I can't help but laugh at myself.

"Are you feeling better now?" Minhyun asks from where he's lying nearby, close to the fire.

I nod. I hear smacks and see Ren in the background, kicking at a wooden bridge.

"What energy."

"I told him that we have enough, but he insists that this makes him feel less useless..." he explains to me, "he doesn't want to sleep either."

"Because of his dream?"

He nods. "He's been at it all ni—Well, since you've been asleep. It worries me..."

I don't know how to respond. Of course I'm worried for Ren too, but the rest of us aren't much better off. Minhyun looks thinner by the minute, although he tries to appear strong, and he's tired. And I, aside from the obvious, feel like my arm is burning with pain...

I sit up, ignoring the explosions in my head and the dizziness. I undo the bandage again. What was once a deep gash is now a mere scar and a pink line. It's incredible, because it hurts a whole lot more than it looks...

            POV: Ren

I keep kicking the railing to get more wood, but it's harder than it seems. But I'll manage it. It looks like it's about a break. One more... Ouch! ! That hurt! I lose my balance and fall on my . Great going, Ren, you're pathetic.

            POV: Minhyun

What was that sound? I turn and find Ren on the floor. That stubborn blond...

            POV: Ren

From the ground, I give it a last hit and finally the piece falls. I get up with a limp and sit beside the makeshift bonfire. I toss in the piece of wood and relax. Should I go look for more wood? I don't think what we have will last long... But if I keep hurting my foot, I'll be even more useless...

            POV: Minhyun

At last Ren has stopped his fight with the bridge. It's been a while since I told him that we had enough, but he didn't listen to me. I'm much more relaxed knowing he's not moving around. He's in no shape to be fighting with wooden railings.

JR has removed the bandage from his arm. I'm glad to see that his wound is much better, but it looks like it's still hurting him. And I don't think his fever has gone away entirely.

After checking up on the state of his injury, he tries to put the bandage back on. But between his drowsiness and the fever, along with the fact that he can only use one hand, it's turning into a mess worthy of an award. That won't last for even two minutes.

"Let me do it."

I grab the bandages and undo 'that' which shouldn't even be called bandaging. He lets me without saying anything. Careful not to hurt him, I wrap up his arm. It doesn't turn out so bad. When I finish, I admire my accomplishment proudly. This will definitely work.

But when I lift my gaze, smiling, to look at JR, he's crying. Did I hurt him? Aish, but I tried to be careful!

"JR, what's wrong? Did I hurt you? Forgive me..."

"No, not at all. You did well..."

"Then?"

"It's just that... the way you did it... is the same way my mother used to bandage me up and..."

With that, I remember everything he told us before: that they killed his parents, that he doesn't have a family nor a place to return to... And neither do I... Because of that, I think that, in a way, I can put myself in his place. And it's a shame, I feel bad for him.

Without thinking, I hug him. I wrap my arms around his neck and hold him tightly against my chest. I want him to feel like he's not alone, that I'm by his side, that he can rely on me.

He didn't expect my action. His body tenses and he doesn't dare to return my hug. And I know perfectly well that it's because he doesn't want to touch me with his hands.

"Minhyun, careful. I'm dangerous and I don't want to hurt you..."

"You won't hurt me. I know you won't. I trust you."

I feel him start to cry again, but this time he has a smile painted on his lips. And he returns the hug tightly without touching me with his hands.

"Thank you..."

            POV: Ren

Poor JR. We really had judged him wrongly... He's been through a lot and we treated him like a lunatic...

I hear approaching footsteps. It must be the guys. I hope they're alright!

Before I can warn Min or JR, the door opens.

            POV: Baekho

We count to three and sprint towards them.

While I'm still running, Aron is already with them. He raises the syringe and buries it in the neck of one of our opponents. The guard falls instantly with a grimace. But I don't let it distract me. I clutch onto my syringe and concentrate. I get to them, facing the guard. I raise my hand, imitating Aron, with my weapon held high and then I feel the kiss of electricity against my arm, against my skin. My whole body trembles and shakes with sparks.

            POV: Aron

I use my power to get to them at the speed of light. They still haven't noticed my presence nor that one of them already has a syringe in his neck, empty of its contents. He collapses in front of me in the next instant.

I've managed to get rid of the first guard without any difficulty. Good! I take out the second syringe and search for the second.

But then I hear a scream behind me, Baekho's unmistakable voice.

            POV: Baekho

I scream but I can't put any power into my voice. It's nothing but a howl of pain.

I manage to move away, the current stops, and even though I'm numb I don't let myself contemplate it much. He launches another attack at me. I dodge, remembering that I also have a weapon.

            POV: Aron

Baekho's scream makes me turn. It looks like the hit the guard gave him with the electric baton hurt a lot. He's having trouble winning over him and I decide to help him.

When I'm about to jump on the guard he's fighting with, I feel something hit me and a cramp in my hand sends the syringe flying. I turn, startled, and see the enemy we still have left. Oops, I almost forgot about him. He took advantage of my distraction to attack with the electric baton.

I instinctively touch my red, pained hand.

I see the syringe on the floor and quickly jump towards it to get it back, before the guard can attack. But when I get to it, I find it broken and all the contents spilled on the floor.

I don't have another one on hand. I'll have to go to where we left the others.

But before I can lift my head, the guard aims a gun at me. Now I really do have a problem.

            POV: Baekho

I pull out the electric baton that came in my uniform and hold off the hit. He attacks again and I intercept again, meeting his weapon to throw off his defenses.

The stabs transform into strong s. It looks like those kendo classes will serve me after all...

            POV: Aron

He shoots. But I use my power to take off running and jump over him without being hit by any bullets. He falls to the floor and loses the gun in the impact. It slides out of his reach.

I don't have time to get another syringe. I have to find another way to leave him out of the game. I don't want to do this, but I don't have any alternatives.

Before I can do anything, he stabs at my ribs with the baton and manages to get me off him. I fall to the floor beside him. God that hurts!

I see him get to his feet and raise the electric baton to hit me again. I can't let him.

I'm faster and, before he can attack me, I send a punch to his head with all my strength behind it. He falls unconscious to the floor. Blood trickles out of his nose and out from between his lips. I think the bones in his face are out of place.

            POV: Baekho

I fend off his hits and return them, always 100% concentrated and with my five senses on my opponent. Our improvised swords clash again and again in the air, releasing sparks with each collision. I concentrate so much on the fight that the rest of the world is lost to me.

But I remember Ren. My shining blond waiting for me in the old room 5. Exhausted, hungry, cold. He needs me. And only then do I feel strong enough to let go of my weapon and yell, immobilizing his body and, before my strength fails me, pull out the syringe in my pocket and bury it in his neck, emptying the strong sedative.

His eyes close behind his mask and he falls, defeated. I'm sorry, friend, it's been a good fight.

            POV: Aron

I stare at the guard in front of me. He doesn't move. Is he dead? I don't dare to get closer to see if he's breathing. And if he's really dead? My god, it can't be! Have I killed another one? I've ended another human life? I shouldn't have hit him so hard... Why the hell are they so fragile? No, I think I'm the one who's too strong... I should have controlled myself...

Calm down. I have to keep my head level. I try to stop thinking of it. There's nothing I can do anymore. Hopefully he's just unconscious. I promise myself to be more careful next time.

Baekho has also won his match. Good, we can go now. We'll go back to room 5, with Min. I want him to give me the kiss he owes me.

            POV: Baekho

I feel a weight on my conscious, as if I had used some sort of trick to win this battle.

I sigh, tired, and the alarms in my mind go off, telling me there's something wrong.

I freeze.

It can't be.

            POV: Aron

Baekho doesn't seem like he's moving anywhere anytime soon. What the hell is wrong now? He looks very concentrated, lost in his own mind. And he doesn't like what he senses. He's gone rigid, like a statue. He doesn't move, doesn't blink. I doubt he's even breathing. I hope I don't have to give him mouth to mouth, uck!

"Baekho?"

Nothing. He doesn't respond.

"Baekho? You hear me? Say something, please, you're scaring me!"

"Guards..."

Oh no! Not again no! I'm tired, I don't want to fight again. I sigh heavily.

"Where are they this time? Are they close to us?"

"No... They're in the old room 5..."