Chapter 24 (Special)

Action

They decide that the moment has arrived. They decide that it's time to leave this place. In the end, they've all agreed. Even Aron and Minhyun have been convinced, although it's been a little more difficult to do so. The only thing those two want is the run off to again.

But it's done now; they've been convinced and they'll go, confronting anything that stands in their way. Well, not now. Tomorrow. Don't do today what you can leave for tomorrow, right? First they have to eat, sleep, pack the bags, prepare, think of the materials that need to be taken along, plan what they're going to do... A lot of things, okay. So they go to sleep and leave all of that escape stuff for tomorrow, since it's such trouble.

The lights are out, leaving only the faint light of a small lantern on, because if not we'd be left in absolute darkness. They lay on the mattresses to sleep.

How can they sleep? Aren't they nervous? Tomorrow they're going to risk their lives, and yet they sleep?

Their lives have been played with for three years. This is nothing to them.

But I'm not able to find sleep, and while I watch them do so, I think. I turn over and over everything I know of them, what I've always been told and what I've seen for myself here. What should I do?

I've always wanted to help them. I had seen them there, caged, forced into exhibiting their powers, deprived of their own self wills, not allowed to do anything that isn't obeying.

We were told that they're nothing more than animals, that they're different from us. 'Dangerous beasts'. That, although their appearances are just like ours, the similarities end there. We were told that they don't have emotions, will, or reason. That they're nothing but animals. But you can treat an animal well too, right?

I joined the 'rebels' because I felt sorry for them. Because when I saw their mistreatment and fear, curled up in the back of their cells, or the very opposite – staring at me with hate from behind bars, their wounds – I couldn't help but feel responsible. I'd ask myself if what we're doing is okay.

Some went even further. Some said that they're the same as us, that their powers make them even superior. I've never wanted to get  involved with that. It's easier to see them as animals, but even then I wanted to help because, even with their lethal powers, they didn't seem dangerous to me. Because even if they're  not human, they appeared to have emotions.

That's why when the alarms went off, indicating their attempt at escape, I was happy for them. That's why when Nara returned, telling us that our moment to do something for them had arrived, I didn't hesitate to volunteer to help them hide, to prepare.

Alice asked me to do it. Alice, who has experienced firsthand how dangerous they are and who continues to insist on protecting them, on helping them, on the belief that they don't deserve this treatment. Alice and her complex of a saint...

And the truth is that, upon getting to know them... they've surprised me. They're not animals; they're a group of adolescents with the same worries and longings as any other boy their age has. Well, maybe not... They have different tastes, but seeing the intensity of their feelings after equating them to exhibits for so long has impressed me. It's striking to see that they are human. If not more so. They're humans that glow, lift things into thin air, break walls with a punch, toss flames or make objects go airborne. But... very human.

On the other hand, their teenage mindsets create teenage problems. I can't help but wonder how they even have the strength to fall in love, to become jealous, or fight between themselves when they're in this situation. Wouldn't it be more logical to concentrate solely on escaping? On returning to their homes? In a way, it's like, at the moment they feel even minimally 'free', they want to make up for the time stolen from them. Live everything they've been denied here. Is that why they're so quick? Is that why they're so 'intense'?

I'm convinced of the strength of their emotions. I'm convinced that they're capable of feeling. Maybe too much. Isn't that exactly what makes them dangerous? Baekho almost killed me because he thought I tried to shoot Ren. I don't doubt that Ren would find the bloodiest way to kill me with even less motive. Aron would be nothing less than lethal if anything happened to Minhyun, and, no matter how peaceful the model-like playboy seems, he has a very powerful ability. It's been dormant for so long – too long – and if he loses control... I don't want to even imagine it. Although to imagine terrible ends, there's no need to think any further than JR. He doesn't even need a motive to lose control.

Why deny it? They scare me. They terrify me. I feel under constant threat by being with them. I want to help, I want to save them, I want to take them away from here, but I've been told so many times of how dangerous they are. I've been told that they can't control their murderous instincts, that it'd take but a gesture for them to kill me. When I see them practicing with weapons, with their powers, I get chills. When Ren sends me an assassin's glare, when JR goes quiet and his eyes look lost, when Aron is angry and destroys something accidently... sometimes I wish I had left them lost in the cages. Sometimes I think it would have been better to let them be found, for them to be caged again. Sometimes I ask myself if I've done good or if I've betrayed my people for them. Sometimes I wonder if they wouldn't be better off dead.

I feel the weight of the weapon between my fingers. My gun. Five bullets.

No, no, no. You saved them for this? To kill them now?

Minhyun sleeps serenely in Aron's arms. Now that they've fixed everything, they hold each other so tightly that they appear to be just one. They're pressed together so tightly that it seems impossible for anyone to separate them. They're lovely, yes, but when I look at them, everything I've seen them do comes to mind. I know Minhyun can light me on fire, that he could suffocate me by filling my lungs with water or by taking away the air around me. He could also bury me in dirt with one gesture. I know that Aron can... well, he could kill me in many distinct ways. He has so much strength that he could even kill without wanting to. I know that he's done it before; I've  heard him explain it. He doesn't like to kill, can't stand the feeling, but when he loses his cool, he loses control of his strength and human bodies are too fragile for him. I don't want to even be close to him.

Baekho also hugs his blond doll tightly. These two basically ooze sugar. But Ren is anything but something 'sweet'. His glares freeze me over. He's not the most powerful of the group, not even close to it, but he wants to kill me. He's wanted to see me dead since I first joined them. Me and anyone in a white mask and with a gun in their hands. Or maybe even without the weapon. The worst thing about Ren isn't his power, it's the ability he has to move others to do what he wants. He didn't need to go very far to convince everyone to leave here. If we look back, he was the one to start all this. The revolt was organized because he fought to escape. Baekho organized it.

Baekho. The sweet, kind, lovely and peaceful Baekho. But he's none of that when he's angry, not when his lover is in danger. I still remember the sensation from when he lifted me with his voice. I felt the air pressing in on each centimeter of my body. I felt like I was about to explode yet compress in on myself at the same time. I felt like I couldn't breathe, like my body was about to break from being pulled apart. I felt like I was about to die...

Yes, Baekho is a very sweet guy. When he wants to be.

And lastly... the most deadly of them all. He rests here at my side like nothing's wrong. Adorable and innocent like a little boy. He's the most peaceful and rational one of the group. He's the one who most regrets his actions, the one who least desires his power, the one who can least bare to kill. The only one who doesn't need a motive to do it because it's not even conscious. While I searched for them, I saw the corpses, the results of his power. I could barely stand to look. I still remember Alice, who lost her arm because of him. No matter how much she insists that it was our fault, that we provoked his mental state, that we're to blame for his lost sanity and his inability to control his power. I don't care about his motives, I don't care that he doesn't like to kill. I care that he can do it. And that makes him dangerous.

Him and everyone else.

If I help them escape, what do I become? A hero? Or a murderer as well? Are their lives worth more than my coworkers? Because they'll continue killing, it's clear that they will. What about when they're outside? They're dangerous. They're too dangerous to be out there freely. Here, they're under control. Here, their powers are only lethal inside of their cells. I feel bad for them, yes. I want to help them, yes. But...

To set them free? Isn't that cruel to the rest of humanity? Wouldn't it even be – after all that they've suffered – a merciful act to end their lives? I'm sure they prefer that over returning to their cages. I'll be doing them a favor.

I squeeze the weapon with my fingers. Five bullets; that's all I need.

I'm doing the right thing. For them and for the rest of the population. Five bullets rather than many more. In reality, I'm saving many people. I'm doing the right thing.

Why am I trembling so much then?

I must be stupid. Of course I'm trembling. I've spent many days here with them. I've grown fond of them, it's inevitable. But I have to do it because it's the right thing. If they manage to leave, wouldn't that be horrible? How many lives will the attempt cost? How many 'accidents' once they're on the outside? In the end, no matter how adorable they are, they're just murderers. Intentional or not, murderers.

I have to do it.

I leave the gun. I put it back in its place and pull a knife from my belt. Now my hands seem to be shaking less. This is better.

I approach the closest one, JR, leaning over him. Obviously, he has to be the first. Without him, they're not half as dangerous. Without him, they won't be able to function together for long. He has to be the first to die.

The knife shines against his throat in the light of the weak lantern.

You have to do it, Lime. You have to.

Jonghyun... He's a precious kid. He looks so small when he's asleep. He seems so innocent. Who would think that someone like this could be a murderer? A monster? He's too handsome to be so lethal...

But he is. And I have to kill him. I press the cold metal against his neck. It's so sharp that I barely have to put any strength behind it. I know what I have to do. A quick and precise cut and he'll bleed out without being able to even scream. I have to be fast. I have to be neat. I have to be strong.

But his long eyelashes captivate me, and when his eyelids flicker and open I find myself fixated with his deep black eyes.

Too late.