Chapter 6

Action

            POV: Aron

Finally! We're in room 5 and at last we'll meet our allies. Someone is singing. Their voice is beautiful. Who is it? The tone has something... special. I can't explain it, but it's like everything feels it, like it's effecting everything. It's very... I don't know, magical and beautiful.

I push open the door easily. Someone has clearly taken it upon themselves to destroy the lock in a series of explosions. An interesting ability... I hope it belongs to someone on our side, or else we'll be in trouble.

The scene we walk in on isn't anything like what I'd been expecting. The first thing to catch my attention is a brunet with a crazy look on his face hanging in the middle of the room by a bunch of cables. It looks like he'll attack at any moment. His expression sends a bad shiver down my spine.

His head is tilted to the side and his eyes are fixated on the blond singing to him. He must like the blonde's voice because his lips curve up in an attempt at a smile. However, the blond singing has a sad expression on his face.

I almost don't notice the third person present in the room. Another blond, but with long hair and the face of a girl. A girl? No, I think it's a guy, but I have my doubts. He's curled up in the corner on his own, staring back blankly.

I guess these are our supposed companions...

"These are the people that are supposed to help us escape? Well ! I might as well just go back to my cage. We're doomed."

I turn to stare at him in shock. I was thinking that too, but there was no need to say it like that, right? And he's said it so bluntly, like it was a perfectly normal thing to say.

            POV: Minhyun

The short haired blond stops singing and gives me a look of shock when he hears my comment. Was that too much? Bah, whatever. All I've said is the truth. Besides, he recovers quickly and gives us an exaggerated grin.

"I know the panorama isn't very encouraging, but we've managed to at least meet up, right?"

He walks over and greets us, offering both of us a strong handshake. Aron helps me get down from his back and then we return the greeting. He introduces himself as Baekho, the man that sent us those paper planes. He looks alright, like he knows what he's doing at least. Maybe we're not too in over our heads.

We give him our names with friendly smiles. It's fine, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe this'll end up working out.

I suddenly feel a presence behind me. I turn, startled, to see the smaller blond staring at me harshly. What's he doing? Caught off guard, I take a step back but my legs fail me again. I stumble and, luckily, something catches me before I fall. Strong, affectionate arms. I look up to find a kind smile on Aron's face. So cute...! Ugh, not again. I can't think those things. I told myself I'd avoid him. And so I push back the urge to return his smile and stand, clumsily moving away from him. My actions puzzle him but I can't allow myself to care. I have to do this.

            POV: Ren

Well then. We're all here now. Two more people have arrived. One of them is covered in burns and the other one doesn't seem to move around so well. They both look surprised with the scene they walk in on. It's true but... wasn't that comment a bit harsh? I get up to get a closer look because he doesn't seem to be in the best conditions either. He has no right to talk. He turns abruptly and startles upon seeing me. He nearly falls but the other guy catches him. I don't see how he could have said what he said when he's even worse off than most of us. He can't even move around on his own.

I guess I should introduce myself too.

"I'm Ren."

The new people present themselves as Minhyun and Aaron. Judging by the way they look at each other... it's obvious that they like each other, but this Minhyun seems to avoid him. Poor guy... Though it looks like they're getting along better than Baekho and I.

Dammit, Choi Minki, is it really so hard to say anything more? He's just a guy, but not just any guy. It's Baekho! He won't bite you! I sigh. Sigh? . Now I'm really just a little girl in love.

            POV: JR

I liked that voice. It made me feel safe. There was no blood nor any darkness while I heard it sing.

I don't hear it anymore, but I'm still fine. I haven't returned to the darkness. It's... easier to stay tied to reality now.

The two that have just entered have nice voices too.

Aron and Minhyun. The blonds are Ren and Baekho. I also have to say my name...

What was it? I only remember the initials that the happy girl used to call me. JR. Is that my name? I don't know, I'm not sure. I don't remember.

Why don't I remember my name? How could I have forgotten it?

I can feel the darkness approaching again. The breathless feeling is returning. No, I won't drown again.

"JR. That's my name."

            POV: Baekho

I smile. For a moment there it looked like he'd go insane again, but he's calmed down.

JR doesn't sound like a normal name, but I don't dare to ask him. He doesn't seem to like questions.

"Alright," I say before anyone decides to ask, "the priority right now is to free JR and get out of here before the alarm goes off."

It's obvious that I won't be able to break them with my voice alone. There doesn't seem to be any hitch I could unfasten. Ren throws around a variety of explosions and Minhyun moves a tiny flame closer to one in an attempt to burn it. Even Aron gives it a try, hitting repeatedly at a cable at an astonishing speed. No one gets any results.

"Nothing. Nothing works."

"We have to manage it though. Any more ideas?"

I glance around at everyone expectantly. Ren continues to ignore me as if he's upset. Am I supposed to know why? Minhyun stares fixedly at the cables like he's totally focused on finding a solution for our problem. Is that really all he's thinking about? I have the feeling that it's not.

            POV: Minhyun

Stop thinking about Aron, stop thinking about Aron, stop thinking about Aron... Concentrate on the cables, useless idiot!

            POV: Baekho

When he starts smacking his head in what I assume is an attempt to dislodge a bothersome thought, all doubt is swept away and I realize he's really not thinking about the cables.

Aron keeps glancing at him with a look somewhere in between sadness and confusion. I think I understand his situation. And it reminds me of my own. Maybe we'll get along well.

I sigh, remembering what Minhyun said earlier. That we're basically sitting ducks and that we won't make it. I'm starting to think that he's right.

But I can't allow myself to think that way. The important thing right now is to escape. I have to make everyone concentrate on that.

Up until now, everything has been working perfectly. The alarms still haven't rung which means they haven't noticed our absence and that the doors are still open. We have to hurry.

"Yah! Everyone, get your heads out of the clouds. Let's concentrate on this."

The three of them give me surprised stares. Seems like they've finally come around.

But the person who answers me isn't in front of me. He's behind me.

            POV: JR

"What if I try?"

I feel useless. I'm the only one who hasn't done anything. I guess it's my fault for screaming without realizing it. It's weird... I feel strangely calm now. It's been a long while since I've been able to think so clearly.

            POV: Baekho

My heart nearly leaps from my chest when I hear him say something coherent. It looks like JR isn't that crazy after all. Maybe he'll be able to help us out.

"What power do you have?" Aron asks. He seems to be the most responsible out of all of us right now. I'm definitely thankful for that.

"I'm not sure... I think I can disintegrate things. One time..." His face falls as his eyes cloud over and his head tilts to the side. His breaths start coming in short gasps.

            POV: JR

I remember the blood. The happy girl. Smiling. I see blood. And darkness. It absorbs me, traps me, suffocates me.

"JR, calm down. Breathe. Do you hear me?"

It's Baekho again. He's not singing, just calling out to me. But all the same he helps me escape from the darkness. The blood disappears and the lights and mirrors return. And then I can see again, I can see the blond kneeling in front of me with a worried expression on his face.

I take a deep breath. Relax. I smile. Everything's fine.

"I was saying... that I think I can disintegrate things. If you bring the cables closer to my hands, maybe I can break them."

            POV: Minhyun

Well then. Looks like this crazy looking one has had a good idea. If it works of course. We've all tried using our abilities without any results. Why would his be any different?

Although at the moment the problem isn't whether or not it'll work. It's getting the cables within his reach. They're all stretched taught and completely rigid. It won't  be easy. Especially in my state. I don't think it's worth it to even try to help. Whatever. I'll just leave everyone else to it then.

Baekho and Aron get to work. They're clearly the strongest out of all of us.

Bit by bit, the first cable yields to Aron's jerks and to Baekho's yells. They manage to bring it to JR's hand. With just a light brush of his fingertips, it disintegrates and turns to dust. Whoa! Wow, I didn't think it would actually work.

Seeing the remains of the first cable seems to give them the motivation to continue. I can only think about the hundreds of cables that they have left.

I yawn, still feeling horribly sluggish and lazy. I'll just lay down for a bit.

"Hey, wake me up when you guys are done."

            POV: Ren

Once the lunatic is able to break the cables on his own, I return to my prior sitting place. Baekho is still  helping out and with so many people around... I'll  have to wait until I can speak to him later. Alone. Alone? Ugh, if only these two had gotten here a little later.

"So is your depressed face due to something that has happened or are you like that by nature?"

Huh? I turn and find someone sitting beside me. What's his problem?

"Are you saying that to piss me off or are you just a by nature?"

He laughs. Great. Am I that funny? Ha.

"By nature, by nature..."

"So now after insulting me, you're trying to be funny, huh?" I laugh too, "Okay then, I might like that."

I offer him my hand.

"I'm Choi Minki. Call me Ren."

"Nice to meet you. You seem alright yourself. The whole expressionless thing is kind of creepy but you seem likeable enough."

I laugh again. He's seems like a good guy even if his attitude is .

"Since we're being blunt and sincere... you like that Aron guy, don't you?"

Judging by the terrified look on his face, I'm guessing yes.

"No, no. No! How could you think that? I'm not gay. I'm not gay at all!"

He's blushing. Poor boy. He seems really confused.

            POV: Minhyun

Oh my god! How the hell does he know?! Is it that obvious? No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

It can't be. It's not true. It's not true! I'm not gay!

It's obvious by his expression that he doesn't believe me...

"I don't! I'm not!"

"Hey, there's nothing wrong with it. Besides... just 'cuz you like a guy doesn't mean you're gay."

"I'm telling you that I don't like him!"

His expressionless face hasn't changed. He still doesn't believe me... It doesn't surprise me; I don't believe me either...

"Fine! Yes, I like Aron. And? You have no idea what it's like to know you like a man..."

His face changes for a moment.

"Yes I do... I know what it's like perfectly well..."

What? What does that mean? He likes someone also? But... who?

"Who do you like?"

"Are you dumb? Who else could it possibly be? Do I look like someone with a for crazy psychopaths? I don't, right? Well there you have it..."

After a bit of thinking, I manage to connect the dots.

"Aaaah... I see..."

            POV: Ren

Yep, it's official. He's dumb.

"Is that why there was enough tension in here to be cut with an electric chainsaw when we got here?"

Chainsaw? Isn't it supposed to be 'a knife'? Either way... I don't see a point in answering. It's rather obvious, right? They arrived with the worst timing and interrupted before I could fix things with Baekho.

"If you two had just gotten here five minutes later, I would've been able to fix everything but noooo. Your timing couldn't have been worse..."

"Don't blame me for your mess up with your boyfriend. Why don't you just talk to him and fix it?"

I sigh. As if I don't want to.

"It's not that simple..."

"Why? Did you do anything so bad that you can't just go and apologize?"

"It's not that. It's just... I wouldn't know what to say..."

"Just tell him what's on your mind. What happened anyway?"

            POV: Minhyun

Ren tells me everything that has happened between him and Baekho. How they met through the notes, how much it meant to him, the desire he had to meet him... and finally what happened when they finally met face to face.

I find it incredible that he's telling me all this with that same expressionless 'expression' on his face. This is something important but it seems like he doesn't have emotions. But as the conversation continues, I start to pick up on the little pieces of emotion on his face.

I suppose he's just shy and that it's difficult for him to express himself to others. Now I can see his feelings shown clear and bright in his eyes. Now I'm starting to find him adorable. We'll definitely get along.

After a good while of talking, I convince him to talk with Baekho as soon as he has the chance to, to tell him what he feels. I'm sure they'll figure things out. I've been glancing over at Baekho for a while now and, even if Ren doesn't notice, it's obvious that he's just as obsessed with him as Ren is.

And then I end up blurting out everything that has happened to me because of Aron. And he tells me that I should accept it as well. He says I should be doing the opposite of pushing him away, that I should do something to let Aron know that I like him.

            POV: Ren

Minhyun's right. I can do this. I'll tell Baekho that this was all just a misunderstanding and how important he is to me. Min has turned out to be a good guy after all.

"Alright, druggie, I'll do it! So long as you promise to stop ignoring poor little Aron, agreed?"

"Okay, blondie. So, moving on... I'm hungry..."

            POV: JR
The cables disappear. One by one, they go. Each one is easier than the last. Each time it's less difficult. And each time I'm more anxious to get out of here. At last. To be able to leave, to move, to walk on my own and see what's outside of these walls of mirrors. I'm tired of the mirrors. I'm tired of the lights. I'm tired of the cables. And I'll finally be leaving them behind.

They disappear.

It's amazing to be able to move. I can move! How long have I been caged here? Since I've been tied without being allowed to even blink? A long time. Way too long.

I flex my fingers, clench my fists. Incredible. I twist my wrists, my elbows, my shoulders. I can't believe it.

Ha, cables! DAMN BASTARDS! NOW I'M STRONGER THAN YOU!

You won't restrain me here anymore. I'm leaving, I'll escape. What do you have to say to that, huh? Idiots! You thought you could handle me, huuuh?

As I'm untied, I rediscover my muscles and limbs and everything I'm capable of doing.

But I feel tired, very tired. Increasingly so with each passing second.