Expecto Patronum

Smentley's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Kyungsoo hasn’t been enjoying his first few days at Smentley’s. The other Hufflepuffs are awkward, the Ravenclaw upperclassman who had convinced him to jump into the jellyfish-infested lake with nothing but his boxers and a mouthful of salad was still picking on him, and everyone in his Defense Against the Dark Arts class was way ahead of him.

 

The other students were all lounging at their desks, pitting their patronuses against each other in play fights. Park Chanyeol’s patronus had erupted from his wand at the slightest mumble of “expecto patronum”, a blindingly beautiful mass of bright blue flames swelling across the room, ghostly feathers rippling as wings fluttered gently. A phoenix, of course, for the brilliant-smiled orange-haired Gryffindor, what was more fitting?

 

Even Oh Sehun, delinquent in the making, had managed to coax a patronus out of the tip of his wand, spilling onto the floor as a fountain of blue light smoothly into the shape of a giant snake (“BASILISK!” Kyungsoo had shouted, and now regretted shouting). Wide-eyed first-year Choi Sooyoung had whispered “it’s huge”. Sehun had replied with “it’s not the biggest snake in my arsenal, come by my dorm tonight if you want proof” and been slapped with a week of detention and fifty points taken away from Slytherin.

 

Sooyoung herself, a friendly Gryffindor, waved her wand and conjured a Golden Retriever, cooing happily at the blue puppy as it wriggled its tail and yipped.

Now they were all waiting - had been waiting for about thirty minutes as Kyungsoo got seemingly further and further from being able to conjure something, anything, to pass as a patronus.

“Remember something happy!” Professor Kangta sighs for the umpteenth time, repeating the hand motion. “Your parents, your family, your friends? Anything?”

Kyungsoo shrugs.

“Your first kiss?”

“...I...I, uh…I haven’t…”

Sehun snickers.

Sooyoung steps forward, sighs ever so quietly, and presses a light kiss to Kyungsoo’s warm cheek.

Right on cue, a flash of blue light spurts from Kyungsoo’s wand, spilling onto the floor.

 

The students all stare.

Even Professor Kangta can’t suppress his giggle.

“That’s a very nice goldfish.”

It flails on the ground.

“Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol says hesitantly as Kyungsoo buries his face in his hands. He prods the fish with his phoenix’s beak. “You should probably get it some water...I think it might be dying.”

 


Ta-dah, a new chapter featuring poor baby Kyungsoo >.< I hope you guys like it! Please let me know what you think~! :)