Cracks

Cracks and Sealing Wax

Crack.

 

A small chunk fell out of the wall in Woohyun's heart. Silently, he watched the beautiful creature take a seat near him in the classroom. Myungsoo - he learned later - was the epitome of beauty. He blatantly stared at Myungsoo throughout the time when they waited for class to start.

 

Delicate facial bones and creamy skin.

 

Silky raven hair and a shy smile.

 

Intense dark eyes that glittered with the innocence of someone who doesn't quite understand the workings of the world yet.

 

Because humans are naturally drawn to beauty like moths to a flame, it was inevitable that Woohyun would too. His interest stirred momentarily in him, raising its head with a flicker of attention. On hindsight, that was the turning point where his frozen wall experienced the first crack.

 

Crack.

 

Woohyun thinks that his beauty started it all.

 

_____________________________

 

Sungjong laughed delicately, the light sound floating away like the last strains of a piano melody, his slim hands coming up to cover his rosebud mouth. Woohyun didn't miss how Myungsoo's entranced eyes following the movement unconsciously.

 

It was strange how two people who were polar opposites could become so close. Then again, Woohyun considered, they were more of reflections than opposites. Myungsoo was like the black yin of taoism, who looked cold and unapproachable, a danger zone that people would avoid. Inside him lay the simple innocence of a child who never looks beyond the face value, who trusts wholeheartedly and fearlessly.

 

Yang was like Sungjong, who looked as innocent as a fairy child and who holds his cards well - too well. A delibrate wave of his hand, a flash of triumph in his doe eyes was enough to tip him off.

 

No one can hide from Woohyun.

 

He sees everything there is to see whether he likes it or not. He sees through every facade with good enough reason, seeing that he too wears a mask. They laugh, Myungsoo leaning in to whisper in Sungjong's ear, the latter with a tiny smile of satisfaction curling up the sides. It widens when his soft hair is brushed back by a gentle hand.

 

A tinge of envy colours his mind as he falls back onto Sunggyu, laughing a bit too loudly when he's pushed away with a scoff. He doesn't mind, he only cares about how they didn't even look up. His own hair is ruffled affectionately but Myungsoo doesn't see.

 

Sungjong does.

 

His eyes flicker to his momentarily and realisation passes through quickly. Sungjong sends a coldly sweet smile to him, keeping his eyes on Woohyun when he coyly leans away from Myungsoo, the latter inclining his body towards him automatically.

 

Woohyun feels another crack.

 

Crack.

 

_____________________________

 

He refuses to talk to Myungsoo, not because he dislikes the latter - oh god help him, if only that was the case but he doesn't. He just doesn't want to give in, stubbornly holding onto his pride to the end. Woohyun knows he's pretty screwed up, because who does that these days?

 

No, Myungsoo can come talk to him if he wants to, he reasons, but there was no way that Woohyun was going to approach him first. He's used to girls and guys coming to talk to him, not the other way round. He avoids people he likes, a phobia developed 7 years ago when he was ten and stupid. Stupid enough to confess and cause the gossip to spread. As if being a bit of an outcast wasn't bad enough, crushing on the most popular guy on the school bus was the icing on the cake.

 

Never again, he thought determinedly as he snuggled into Sunggyu's squishy body in full view of everyone in the cafeteria, ignoring the wolf whistles of Sungyeol and Sunggyu's tolerant laugh.

 

Woohyun pretends not to see how Myungsoo sit beside Sungjong - again. How his eyes move to Sungjong and doesn't leave, even when Dongwoo pokes fun at them. He pretends not to see the sympathy behind Hoya's gaze.

 

It's easier to pretend you can't feel your will cracking a bit more.

 

Crack.

_____________________________

 

He doesn't know when he fell for Myungsoo. He just knew that he stopped being an eyecandy and developed into something deeper.

 

It annoyed him.

 

Nam Woohyun doesn't fall for anyone. He emphasised this hotly to Hoya who implied something that rubbed him the wrong way. He refuses Sungyeol begging him to please let me introduce you to Myungsoo I know him because he knows that Sungyeol can be a ing idiot and screw everything up. Woohyun listens and tries not to listen when Dongwoo tells him more about Sungjong who's apparantly one of his closest friends in high school.

 

He puts his pride above everything else and he'll happily shatter before he gives it up. It's put on the line when Hoya dares him to go and greet him ("Do it just because you can cause you're Nam ing Woohyun and you can talk to anyone and everyone").

 

Woohyun never refuses a challenge. 

 

Hey Myungsoo congrats on becoming vice-captain of football I'm Woohyun I share maths with you.

 

It slips like water between his fingers, slowly but surely he prepares possible conversation starters without conscious effort.

 

But oh god with the dare pressing on him and his own unspoken desire to let the damn word vomit pour out battling with his pride he's on the verge of screaming from the internal conflict.

 

Woohyun hates it.

 

His dignity is falling apart as the pathetic words build up in him.

 

Crack.

 

_____________________________