Chapter 1

Then Came You

CHAPTER 1

"For there to be peace, there must first be war"

 

A chiming laugher echoed in the 21th floor of the YG Tower in that early morning. Everyone was either gossiping the latest scandal or drama that they watched last night or just showing off their newest ‘it’ item.  The group of men and women chitchatting with a smiling face and cheerful voices before beginning their work for the day, feeling a little lightheaded in such a warm atmosphere.

The crowd suddenly bewildered when a girl in a beige pencil skirt and white shirt said in a hush but firm voice. “She’s coming.” And all the bright faces frowned immediately with the news and ran towards their desk, stumbled with their own steps and finally sit down neatly on their respective chair. A hum of ‘she’s coming’ filled the air with a small silent conversation shared among the people.

A loud firm footstep can be heard from the end of the corridor sending a cold shiver. Their heartbeats quickened as the sound became clearer and a figure of a lady appeared with a black trench coat over her dark blue microdress. She swung her white and black Prada handbag elegantly with every step she took in a black crystal strapped Gucci stiletto.

As soon as her reached the hallway, everyone stood up and greeted her politely and forcing a sweet smile. Their nerves were not fully calmed down, not when she was standing in front of them. She nodded slightly and stomped her way into her office with a thump on the door. She never greeted back at them, sometimes she nodded her head slightly and sometimes she just walked coldly whenever they met.A little habit that made her more unapproachable.

One by one sighing slowly and slumped to their chair, exhausted just by a mere appearance of their boss. Although, that morning scenarios were happened almost every day, the thrilled never wear off. Sometimes, it canbe worst. It’s like having a thunder storm smacked in the middle oftown. Everyone was just being burned and toasted, a massacre.

A tiny girl with a long black braided hair ran hastily towards the glass door and opened it clumsily-she almost hit the door with her nose, grabbed a pink notebook on the nearby table and knocked softly on a door that stated ‘Editor’ on the plate. After she heard a stiff voice of ‘come in’, she took a step in cautiously.

“Here’s your coffee,” she said hesitantly and put it carefully on the dark wooden table. “Hot cappuccino with less sugar and cream.” She watched her reaction tough a pink MacBook that still have her full attention since she walked into the spacious room.

It has been 8 years since she began to work in the fashion magazine. After 2 years of internship, she was now the personal assistant to the Editor of W, Park Bom, an iron lady that seemed to be opposite of her name which means spring in Korean. But that doesn’t mean that she was not beautiful like the spring time, it just that her attitude was more like the winter, harsh and cold.

No one ever knows why she behaved like that. Not that anyone even dare to ask. She was a strong lady who climbed up her position through hard work and determination not like other pretty girls who rely on their rich dads to achieve their dreams. Despite being hated by almost everyone in the department, no one ever doubt of her amazing ability in handling the company skilfully. Being nicknamed as ‘the devil’, Bom proved to everyone that she’s the beauty with a brain. Sandaraalways looked up to her and someday; she wanted to be like her-beautiful, famous and powerful.

Her jobs were always the same every day, fetching her coffee from the nearby café every morning, set up her schedule for the day and help her with everything she needs- something that in some way she found hard to do.

She swallowed and pushed her rectangular glasses up to her nose bridge with her finger and flipped the pages of her notebook. “Today, you have a meeting with every board member at 9 a.m. After that you have a lunch meeting with one of our sponsor for the next issue, a representative from Etude cosmetic…

Sandara observed her boss who was still have her eyes on the computer. Her fingers scrolling down the pages in hurry but her eyes still managed to catch every word, correcting any errors before handing them to the publishing team.

“That’s your schedule for the day but before that, Natalie wants to meet you before the meeting.” Natalie or Mrs Han Hyoo Jo was the CEO of the company. She was married to a businessman, Mr Kim Tae Pyung and a mother to a beautiful twin daughter. And opposite from the winter like spring goddess, Natalie was a sweet yet charismatic leader, always listened to other people’s opinion before making any major decisions.

Park Bom finally lifted her face to her, looking straight into her eyes and asked coldly, “Whandt for?”

“She just said that she needed to talk to you before the meeting.”

Park Bom nodded once and with a straight face, she dove again into her works. Sandara closed her book and excused herself, exiting the cold room hurriedly and her twitching stomach finally had slowly settling down.

 

Park Bom stomped her way to Natalie’s room on the left corner of the hall and knocked on the door slowly. She made her way in after she heard her voice from inside the room. Without wasting any time she asked her if she needed anything from her.

“I just want to tell you about something before the meeting,” said Natalie, smiling to her brilliantly. “Well, something that I will announce in the meeting but I think you should know first.”

Bom furrowed her forehead instantly. “Are you kicking me out?” She sensed something doesn’t seem right with all the secrecy going on in the room.  Her mind was trying hard to guess what on Natalie’s mind but to no avail. She’s no psychic and definitely not a mind reader vampire.

Natalie chuckled softly staring at her with beaming face. “No, of course not. You’re my best friend and my favourite editor. How can I fire you?” She held Bom’s hand in her palm and whispered, “I have good news for you.” Her eyes were sparkling and her lips stretched wider. “I just hire a new writer and his column will be on the next issue. And he will be joiing us for the meeting later. Surprise, surprise,” she exclaimed joyously.

Bom’s eyes suddenly bulged out and she pulled her hands from her grasp. “What? You hired a writer without discussing with me first. I know this is you company and you can do whatever you want, but… you should definitely talk to me first before making any decision about bringing someone into the company. What is more, he’s a guy. We never had a man columnist before. I really don’t know what’s gone into your mind to make such a drastic change.”

W was a magazine dedicated to women and almost all the staff was women, except several men worked in publishing team and technical team. But that’s all. There’s no man ever write something in the magazine. Not ever and she’s fine with that. For her it’s better to work without the interference of the opposite . It’s not that she was uncomfortable to mingle with them but this was a women magazine, from women to women and men should never been brought into the picture. Men never understand a woman like women does. They never do.

Park Bom left Nataile’s room with miserable mind and heart. She just recently had recognition for making W to be the number one magazine in Korea for the fourth time and right now she was forced to change. A man trying to mess out with her perfect life. She will never allow that.

She stumped her feet all the way to the washing room and stand stiffly in front of the mirror, staring at her solemn face. Her perfect picture of her working life started to shatter. She was determined to fix it before that man ruins everything that she had work all this years. She planned to torture him until he can’t stand anymore and decided to resign. Be crueller, be meaner. She let out a crooked smile as she thought of her evil plan to sack him straight from the start.

After making up her mind with new determination, she looked at her reflection with confidence and started to leave the lavatory. As she turned to the door, a man suddenly blocking her way out and she startled nervously. She almost let out a shriek but she managed to close and she stared at the man with worn out jacket and red plaid shirt.

“What are you doing here? You ert,” she yelled and pulled a handful of tissue from the wall and started to throw at the intruder.

The man dodged the flying paper and catches a few with his hand.  “Hey, calm down. We have a little misunderstanding here. Can we resolve this without this paper throwing involve?”

Bom stopped her hand from reaching for the tissue again abruptly and glared at the men. “There’s no misunderstanding here. What are you doing here? Get out,” she screamed again. Her heart pounded loudly in her chest and she hitched a breath.

He closed both of his ears with his palm, blocking a high pitched sound from damaging his eardrum. “Well, I’m the one who should ask you that?”

She blinked her eyes repeatedly.  “I worked in this building. Why can’t I be here?”

“Maybe, because this is a man’s toilet and as a female employee, I don’t think you have the privilege to enter.”

“What? Are you kidding me? I’m not that kind of stupid to enter…” He pulled her arm and headed outside the restroom before she finishes her sentences.

“See,” he said showing her the sign next to the door. “A figure wearing a suit and right there,” he pointed a door on the right. “is a figure wearing a skirt. And by that we can conclude that this is a man’s toilet and that’s the ladies. Who’s the ert here?” He smiled at her with a sneaky smile and quiet laugh.

Her cheeks burned in shame. “Shut up,” she cried out, jerking her arm and walked away in haste.

Natalie stood up at the end of the oval table announcing the big news that she just slammed on Bom’s face earlier. And as her predicted all the members of the meeting were shocked of her sudden decision.

“We needed a change,” Natalie explained. “It’s true that we are at the top right now but for how long? We need to have a new strategy, something fresh to capture people’s interest longer.”

Natalie brought in a man in blue worn out jeans with brown boots into the room. Bom eyed the man who just unknowingly screws up her life and after what happened in the restroom, she started to despise him.

“Hi, good morning everyone. I’m Choi Seunghyun. Glad to be working with all of you,” he flashed a warm smile and suddenly his eyes caught with Bom’s threaten glare.

“What do you think he was a good idea?” Bom asked nonchalantly. “What do you think that makes him better than what we have been doing for all this years? I mean…this is women magazine. It’s all about latest fashion, cosmetic, celebrity gossip; does he know anything about it? I bet he doesn’t even know who was Robert Pattinson or Karl Lagerfeld.” She said it out loud and she did not throw the question directly to Natalie but she just let everyone in the meeting to ponder and gave the answer back at her. She was doing that to hurt him. So that he’ll know his place.

Seunghyun scoffed slightly, and for some reason he was expecting that kind of question. The reason for him for being here. His old job as a blogger and a traveller seemed to be unrelated to the fashion industry and here he is, starting a career in a fashion magazine. For years, he was hiding from the world and only his words spread among the citizens. No one ever knows him, who he was but he preferred that kind of solitude.

He wrote about everything; about what he saw and what he felt. He was being honest about the world and that what people needs to know. The truth. Although it seems like people hate that because sometimes, ignorance is bliss. But one thing for sure; truth bites, lies hurt.

“Well, it’s true that I’ve not know much about dresses or make up but something I knew, that I can share with the world. I knew a lot about woman.”

Bom’s eyebrow twitched and she smiled meekly. “ert,” she mumbled quietly.

“And that’s what you needed. Women from a man’s point of view. I know what you must been thinking about me, knowing a lot about woman. Maybe you thought I must be a womanizer or I’m on my way of becoming a woman,” he chuckled and some of the members started to giggle. “But, I always though, we don’t have to be one to be good at it. For example, we don’t have to be a mechanic to be good at fixing cars and the same as me. Maybe I’m not good enough as a woman itself but I was born by a woman, I was raised by a woman and I certainly…love women.”

His introductory speech was well received, with loud cheer and clapping hands. But all that was just like adding oil into the fire in her heart. An invisible flame started to burn her inside out.

After the meeting ended, everyone was congratulating and welcoming him into the company and she was the last one to leave the room.

“Excuse me, Miss…” Seunghyun called out as soon as she grabbed the doorknob.

“Park Bom,” she said coldly, staring straight at him trying to hide her embarrassment. The shameful accident was still fresh in her mind.

“I’m sorry about what happened this morning…”

She cut his words with a sudden question, “Excuse me, but what actuallyhappened this morning?” She shook her head lightly trying to emphasise that she did not know any occurrences that ever happened between both of them. Her acting skill turned up to be well improved as him appeared to be a little confused.

He startled at first but he settled with a smile. “O-kay, if that’s the case. What about we start over?” He lifted his hand to her. “I’m Choi Seunghyun. Nice to meet you, Bom-sshi.”

She ignored his handshake, opening the door and stepped outside hurriedly. Instantly, he caught her arm and spun her around.

“Why do you hate me so much?” he whispered softly. Her frigid reaction towards him was making him concerned.

“I don’t hate you,” she answered firmly.

“Then you must be, liking me,” he said smiling.

“I don’t like you either. I don’t even have any significant feeling towards you. Dream on.” She smiled at him walked gracefully towards her room. On her way she heard his low murmurs.

“Love me or hate me, both are in my favours. If you love me, I’ll always be in your heart. If you hate me, I’ll always be in your mind. So, be careful.” Bom stopped her steps immediately and glanced back. He was standing in front of the closed door, still looking at her with a smile. “By the way, I think I can be a better vampire than Robert Pattinson.”

Bom stood in front of her glass wall, looking far into the park next to the building. She didn’t know why his existence bothered her so much. Maybe because he was annoying or maybe because he is a ert, well that seemed to be a little judgemental even for her. She settled down with the only reason that seemed to be more logical; he was here to mess up with her perfect life and she didn’t like it.