Prologue

Then Came You

A young man lies horizontally in the middle of an empty road, staring blankly at the night sky. His surrounding was silent, not a single cricket sound resonated in the area. He inhaled the chilly air deeply and slowly. It was winter now. Everything was nearly frozen. There were tiny snowflakes falling down slowly onto his face but he was not bothered by that. Because he was nearly frozen himself, tortured by the cold wind that blew into his rigid body and penetrated into his skin through his dark green jacket. He continued to gaze into the sky, and shut his eyelids lazily. He startled when he heard a voice coming from the corner of the road. His eyes flickered open and he rushed to his feet.

“I don’t know what to do anymore. No one ever understands me,” the voice echoed.

He scrutinized the whole park wildly, trying to find the source of the sweet voice.

“Thank you for listening and thank you for being such a good friend. I’ll call you later,” she said and ended the call. She jumped a bit after realizing there was a guy making his way to her.

“Hello,” he greeted softly.

“H-hi,” she stuttered and retreated her steps slowly, putting a little space between them. “W-who are you? W-what do you want?”

“I’m…nobody. Just a stranger. And I don’t want anything. Not from you,” he said with a smirk. “I’m Seunghyun.”

“Then…what are you doing here, Seunghyun-sshi?” she asked with a tremor. Her heartbeats accelerated. She held the cell phone tightly in her palm. “It’s a kind of creepy that you out here in the middle of nowhere.”

“You wanna talk,” he said casually. “You out here all by yourself.”

“It’s my neighborhood, I live here all my life. Nothing bad ever happens here.” She glanced at her cell phone and she shrugged slightly. “Just a little pep talk.”

“About what? May I ask?”

“Everybody in school hates me for being ugly and my parent didn’t allow me to change schools just because… this is my final year. I just...” she exhaled roughly. “I’ve had enough. I’ve endured their silly jokes and calling me stupid names for years. It’s like my physical appearance is my worst sin.” She bit her lower lips in frustration and glared at her braided black hair and saggy dress. The dress made her plump body looked even bigger.

“You’re beautiful,” he commented.

She smiled faintly and pushed her rectangle glasses up to her nose bridge. “You don’t have to lie. I know I’m not.”

“I’m not lying.” He smiled at her watching a little pink colored her puffy cheek. “What if people stop calling you names, and in spite of that, they started to praise you, shower you with love and affection. Will you be happy? Is that what you want?”

She gazed at him and her mind started to ponder his words. “I don’t know what I want.”’

“Well, that’s not true,” he said as he furrowed his brow. “You want what everybody wants.”

“What? A mysterious stranger who has all the answer.” A smile tugged at the corner of her lips flashing her metal braces.

He scoffed lightly. “I just have been around the world, seeing a lot of… stuff. I’ve learnt a few things.”

“So, Seunghyun-ssi, tell me… what I want?” she demanded.

He walked closer to her. “You want a love that consumes you. You want passion and adventure. You want a happy ending, a happily ever after,” he whispered.

She looked at him in the eyes. “So, what do you want?” she asked with a smile.

“Ah, I’m….”

A honk and a blinking light interrupted their little conversation and she turned around to see a gray Landrover moving closer to them from between the oak trees. “It’s my parent.”

She said her farewell and retreated to the car. He watched her in silent sending her away with a smile.

“I just want you to have everything that you’re looking for,” he said softly and pulled his jacket wrapping it close to his body and started to walk to a place where his feet stop.