"Uncle Sooman is..."

Before You Go

  ‘Yah, Jessica, what is that on your neck?’ Yuri asked, pointing to Jessica’s neck. Sunny saw it too.

 

  ‘What is that, a hickey?’ Yuri asked again, bringing her face closer to Jessica’s neck. ‘Or is it a bruise?’

 

  ‘Yah! Donghae oppa, what did you do to Jessica last night?’ Sunny asked her brother, slightly raising her voice.

 

  Donghae put his arm around Jessica’s waist. ‘Yeah, well who asked her to be so alluring?’ He said, smirking his lips off. Jessica slapped Donghae’s arm.

 

  ‘Yah!’ She said, her face turning red.

 

  ‘Mian…’ Donghae mumbled whilst his slightly pained arm.

 

  The others chuckled. ‘You are such a badass.’ Sunny commented and turned to her brother. ‘I hope you can handle her oppa.’ Now it was Jessica’s turn to smirk.

 

  Donghae could swear he was the happiest man alive; he loved Jessica and Jessica loved him, both unconditionally. But little did he know his love story was taking a spiteful turn.

 

  --- 5 months later ---

 

  Donghae rushed to the hospital after informing Jessica he wouldn’t be able to make it to their date that night. ‘Sunny! Is Uncle Sooman okay?’ he asked his sister, who was crying bitterly.

 

  She couldn’t speak. The pain was tremendous. She cried at her brother’s chest – her tears flowing more and more down her fair cheeks. ‘Uncle Sooman…’ she said under her breath. ‘He’s… he’s…’ she couldn’t tell him properly.

 

  Donghae patted her back in hopes of calming her down. ‘Take deep breaths Sunny,’ he said. Her flow of tears slowed down bit by bit; she calmed down a little.

 

  Donghae lifted her chin and looked at her. ‘Now what happened to Uncle Sooman?’ he asked.

 

  Sunny let out a huge sigh before a small tear streamed down her cheek; Donghae wiped her tear off. ‘He’s… gone.’ Sunny leaned towards her brother’s chest and cried. Donghae’s eyes widened.

 

  ‘What do you mean “he’s gone”?’ Donghae asked in scepticism.

 

  Sunny looked at her brother. ‘He’s dead, oppa. He’s dead.’ She cried a little more.

 

  Lee Sooman was their savior – Donghae and Sunny’s parents died when they were young and nobody would take care of them. Their father’s brother – their uncle – Lee Sooman stepped into their lives and took care of them; raising them to be the disciplined adults they are now. The two were emotionally attached to him.

 

  Donghae hugged his little sister warmly. He knew she loved him very much. He knew Lee Sooman meant a lot to her. He knew she felt like losing hope of living.

 

  ‘Hey… hey,’ Donghae said gently, ‘you still have your oppa, don’t worry Sunny.’

 

  ‘Thanks oppa.’ A small smile formed on Sunny’s lips.

 

  The two siblings went into Lee Sooman’s room to look at his dead body. Sunny, being the sensitive girl that she is, cried again on Donghae’s chest. ‘This is just too much,’ she murmured.

 

  ‘Come on Sunny, Uncle Sooman wouldn’t want you to cry…’ Donghae said, patting his sister’s back. Sunny wept a little more.

 

  Donghae let out a huge sigh. He knew his sister was in so much pain right now. ‘Come on Sunny; let’s go buy something to eat. I know you’re hungry.’ And with that he dragged her to a nearby restaurant.

 

-----

 

  ‘Now that Sooman is dead, it’s time to launch the second phase of my revenge plan.’ A man let out a sinister chuckle and looked at his sleeping daughter.

 

  ‘I hope you don’t mind marrying at a young age, honey.’ He laughed ominously, scarcely waking up his daughter.

 

-----

 

  Sunny ordered a cheeseburger combo. ‘Are you sure you’re okay, Sunny?’

 

  Sunny smiled. ‘Of course! I’m Sunny Lee Soonkyu, Lee Sooman’s niece! He wouldn’t want me to be sad…’ She trailed off, seeing someone who was looking at the both of them.

 

  ‘Hey, isn’t that Sungmin?’ she asked. Donghae turned around.

 

  ‘Yeah.’ He replied and signaled for Sungmin to come over to their table.

 

  Sungmin smiled and happily sat in front of Sunny, who was looking away to hide the crimson shade on her cheeks. ‘So what brings you here Sungmin-sshi?’ Sunny asked rather bashfully.

 

  Donghae chuckled at his sister’s timidity. That was really unlike her to be shy. ‘Yah!’ Sunny mouthed to her brother and lightly smacked his arm.

 

  ‘Meh…’ he muttered.

 

  Sungmin chuckled at the two siblings’ silliness. ‘I was going home from work when I remembered I had nothing to eat for dinner.’ He smiled at Sunny.

 

  ‘Mwoh? Don’t you have anyone to cook for you at home?’ Sunny asked unknowingly.

 

  Sungmin chuckled again. ‘I live by myself; I don’t want a maid anyway. That’s why my parents always tell me to settle down early.’ He put in plain words.

 

  Donghae looked at his sister in coherence. ‘Do you, by any chance, have someone in mind to become your wife?’ Donghae smirked.

 

  ‘Yes, as a matter of fact I do, Donghae-sshi.’ He giggled and subtly looked at Sunny. She realized his actions and turned away to hide her faint blush.

 

  The three talked about everything and finally broke the news about Lee Sooman. Sungmin’s eyes widened, he was shocked. ‘He’s… dead?’

 

  Donghae and Sunny nodded their heads in unison. ‘He was a great boss…’ Sungmin said.

 

  The siblings sighed. ‘He’s a big part of our lives,’ they said. ‘We never imagined he would leave us this early.’ A tear formed in Sunny’s eyes.

 

  Sungmin noticed the agony in Sunny’s voice; he knew she was in uncontrollable pain. He lifted her chin with his fingers and wiped away her tears.

 

  Sunny was taken aback by Sungmin’s demonstrative actions; the kind of actions she wanted in her future husband. Wait, what am I thinking? She thought. He obviously thinks of me only as a colleague.

 

  And with those thoughts, her heart shattered a little more. She liked him. Strike that, she loved him ever since he showed up at their office a few years back. She loved him ever since he showed his real self to her. He was only himself when he was with her.

 

  ‘Don’t worry Sunny, you have me to protect you,’ Sungmin said with his oh-so-famous aegyo. Donghae smiled. At least he doesn’t have to worry not being around his sister; at least she has Sungmin.

 

  Sungmin looked at his watch. It was already 9 in the evening. ‘Ah, I’d better get going,’ he said, reaching for his suitcase. ‘See you tomorrow Sunny-sshi, Donghae-sshi.’ He bowed and headed toward the exit, smiling to Sunny before he went out – leaving her dumbfounded.

 

  ‘He has a nice smile,’ she said unintentionally. Donghae looked at her, a little surprised.

 

  ‘I’m sorry, what did you say?’

 

  ‘No-nothing,’ she stuttered, totally caught on the hop.

 

  ‘Finish your cheeseburger, let’s go home.’ Donghae chuckled. It was more than clear that Sunny was really fond of Sungmin. ‘You’re funny sometimes,’ he pointed out.

 

  ‘Yah!’ She hit her brother’s arm playfully.

 

  ‘Mian…’ he said. And with that she finished her cheeseburger and they both headed home.

 

-----

 

  ‘Everything is going according to plan…’ a rough voice said. ‘Not long before the destruction of the Lee Family.’ He cackled; an evil smile formed on his face.

 

-----

 

~The next day~

 

  ‘Oppa~’ Sunny barged into Donghae’s office. ‘You are going to be CEO of SM starting tomorrow!’ She informed her big brother in delight.

 

  ‘Jinjja? Tomorrow?’

 

---

A/N: Sorry for the late update :/ I actually took a few days to brainstorm out ideas and a whole day to write it. Mianhae...

And yeah, do you like the poster?? kekeke Yoona and Kibum (and SHINee) enter later in this story >w<

 

Word Count: 1,220 words (excluding Author's Notes) kekeke What do you think??