Obey.

Princess of China

_____________________________

 

Calm morning.
Fen was awake by one of her slave, early in the morning, like an empress should be. At 8 a.m, the slave opened the big green curtain, and opened the window. A fresh breeze came into her bedroom, made her shiver. *There is nothing better than cold air on your face* was always saying her governess. Fen rose, and came sit on her dressing table. There, a slave came and took care of her hair and her make up. A big bun, with dragon decorations in it, and for the make up : face as white as possible, a thin eye liner and pink lips. She was always made up like this, this was given her an older aspect. And she needed to look older because now that she was an empress, she didn't have to look immature, or simply look like a child. Her cheeks were accentuate, sharp as knives which gave her a certain rigidity to her stare and a kind of sensuality. She pulled a beautiful green and red silk dress and went eat something. Her economic assistant was waiting her in the lunchroom. 
«-Good morning Wen, what are you here for ? she asked him
  -Good morning empress. Sorry to bother you, but we have to talk about your slaves.
The little man did a reverence in a  very nervous was, all shaking. He was always like that, always afraid by the empress. In one word she could ask for his death, and he would have nothing to say, just accept it. But even if Fen wasn't like this at all, Wen was still afraid, actually he was afraid of everything.
  -So what do you want to tell me ?
  -We need more slaves empress... We haven't got enough for the fields, coldness killed a lot of them.
  -Alright, we can go buy some slaves this morning.
  -Y-you will come ?
  -Yes, I prefer to choose by myself. You always take the wrong ones.»
The shaky man apologized him in a very dramatic way, but Fen tried to calm him with a sweet smile. 

Finally she went in the palanquin. She installed in the cushions, and felt the carrier slaves raise the palanquin, and started to walk. The trip was short. They had to go to the city Xushi, next to the sea, big city of commerce and particularly known for The House of the Reed, house full of the most beautiful girls of the country, where the rich men spend their money in pleasure. Fen had never been in this house, and of course never wanted to be in, she always hated that sort of girls, and there was a sort of jealousy because they 
were so beautiful and some of then were very rich because of all the gifts they received when they found a rich swain.
While the were crossing the street in Xushi, Fen spread slowly the curtains who were hiding her to see how the population live. Wu Xiong, the officer of the army Changul, was always telling her to stop doing that because an assassin could easy kill her like this. But she was too curious to stop doing this. The streets were full of people, some were very poor but they had always this smile on their face. No matter what could happen to them, they always smiled. They followed an old proverb, who came from the goddess Chang'e (the one who lived in the moon) "When everything's wrong, keep smiling. Positive attitude attract a positive life*.
With difficulties, the carriers laid the palanquin on the ground, and Fen went out. Wu Xiong, came to her. He was in charge to protect her, they had to be very careful because danger were everywhere. The Changul's fortune was high, and a lot of emperors would pay an assassin to kill Fen and catch her fortune. They entered in the commerce of slave. This was a big house, with a beautiful hall, but when you go down the stairs to see the slaves, this is nothing more than an stable. A stable for slave. They were separated by groups, placed in enclosure with only straw as bed. There clothes were so poor and dirty. Some had blood on their clothes, if they were not obedient the guardian don't hesitated to whip them. T
he atmosphere was oppressing, this was so hot in it. The slaves were all so skinny and they were looking tired, she wanted no one of them, not enough strong to take care of the fields. But then, she heard some noises, who were coming from the bottom of the stable. She approached and see a group of tall guys laughing loudly. Apparently they were a group of slaves, mocking the guardian. The little guardian was looking very angry, is face was all red !
«Look empress ! They are barbarians ! Prisoners of the war» 
They were easily recognizable by their tallness and muscles body. Actually, when some barbarians were captured, they were not kill, they were become slaves. Which is totally humiliating for soldier.
One of them, with brown hair, was telling things in his language to the guardian. This should be insults in barbarian language because all of them laughed very loudly at every words he said. The guardian tried to whip him but he was so agile, he successed to dodge every lash whip. She looked at him for a very long moment, the officer who was protecting her asked Fen if she wanted to leave to see a less violent show but Fen was very amused by this. And this was not all. The more she was looking at him, the more she thought he was handsome. He had sweat on his abs, and his hair with the humidity was sticking on his forehead in a very y way. She couldn't stop looking at him, with the hope he would looks at her too.
«Don't be stupid. He is a slave, and a barbarian! Stop looking at him like that» she thought. But the temptation was too hard. 
Finally the guardian caught him and threw him just in front Fen. He put is head against the barrier of enclosure, tried to keep him moving, and an other one came with a whip. The whiplash began to fall, they were hitting his skin with so much power, this should hurt a lot. But the slaves didn't move, closing his eyes under the pain but he wanted to stay brave so he didn't say a word. The other barbarian slaves looked at him with a lot of respect. Fen heart was beating very fast, this scene was horrible to watch. Blood started to flow from his back, and it was more and more difficult for him to control his pain. His mouth tensed, and he groaned a little bit. His groaned was actually very attractive for Fen, she felt like a strange feelings in her. Without thinking, Fen yelled to the guardian to stop immadiatly to whip him. The two guardians, Wu Xiong and even the barbarians looked at her with a shocked face.
«-W-why empress ?
  -I want to buy this slave, but I won't do it if he is to much damaged.
  -But he need to be punished !
  -I don't think you sell a lot of barbarian slaves, and I heard they make you lost a lot of money so before I change my mind and leave you should stop speak and sell me this slave.
  -A-all right empress, I go find the paper...»
Wu Xiong looked at her with big eyes, and asked her why she wanted to buy him. Barbarians are very bad slaves, they don't work and are very violent. 
«I know what I do» She whispered to him.
Indeed, she didn't know what she was doing. She was driven by her intuition, and she didn't really realized what happened. The guardian came back and began to write things on a sheet of paper.  After, he told to the barbarian slave that he would be sell to this empress. The slave looked at her. Their eyes crossed for the first time. Fen felt goose bumps, and felt her cheeks becoming red. He was definitely handsome. The slave told something in an other language to the guardian, so he ran to Fen and told her with nervousity :
«-U-uh sorry empress but... The slave refuses to be go without his partners.
  -how many ?
  -There are... 20 empress...
Fen sighed...
   -Ok, I take them all. I need slaves anyway.»
She gave the money to the guardian, and asked some of her soldiers who was waiting her at the entrance to take the new slaves. She went back in her palanquin, and made a long breathing. She wasn't really sure of what happened, but this was too late. She heard the soldiers yelling on the slaves to stay calm and in a line. Their hands were all attached, and they were following the palanquin. The return trip seemed so long to Fen. She felt guilty to had taken a important decision so quickly, she knew her governess would be mad when she will be back with all that barbarian. But at the same time she was thinking about this slave, the one who was fighting with the guardian. She closed her eyes, and saw his muscles with sweat and his groaned...
                                                                                                   
«-How many ? And they are barbarians ! Congrats Fen ! You gonna ruined this family. I hope the gods are with us...»
The old lady was exasperated. But Fen didn't care about what she was telling her. She was looking outside. There she saw the new slaves learn how to work in the fields. Some of then were cooperative, and some not at all.
«-Are you listenning me Fen ?
  -No...
  -What are you doing !
The governess saw that Fen was looking outside. She went to the window and saw the slaves.
  -Oh don't tell me you like one of them...
  -No granny.
  -Then, stop looking at them like that ! 
  -I'm the empress here. You have to obbey to me, not the contrary. Stop reprimand me like this, or giving me order.
The governess lower her head, symbol of submission.
  -Yes empress.
  -Now leave.
  -Fen !
  - I said, leave !»
And she left the room. Fen laid down on a big sofa, and tried to calm down. She never been so angry against Ju Hui, she always saw her as a second mother, but now she thought she was too invasive. She felt sad, because without Ju Hui, she has no more family at all here. No more person to love.
Someone knocked the door.
This was one of the soldier. He told her that some of the slaves refused to work, and he needed an order to kill them.
Fen knew that the handsome slave was surely one of them, so she didn't accept to kill them. She asked the soldier to bring her to them. Again, she absolutly didn't know what she was doing, but her heart was telling her to do that so...
So the soldier brought her to 4 barbarians who were sitting on the ground.
« -So you don't want to work !
The handsome slave rose, and told her than not.
  -What is your name ?
  -My name is Kai.
  -So Kai, why don't you want to work ?
  -Because I am a soldier, not a ing slave.
Fen widened her eyes when she heard the slander. She was not used to hear that sort of words.
  -Alright ! Apparently you will be better all separated. So you, return to work, if you are not cooperative my soldier will whip you until the death. You and you will go work in the forest. And finally, you, Kai, you will go work in the house, you are one of my personal slave now.»
As a personal slave, Kai would stay all the time near to Fen, and obey at all her orders. Personal slave are better treat than ordinary work slave. They could sleep in the house in a comfortable bedroom, whereas the others sleep in  a little wood house who is not comfortable at all.In general, personal male slave where use as amusement by a lot of empresses or princesses. Same for female slave with emperors. But Fen wasn't really think about his, actually she was very naive on this point. No she took him as personal slave simply to could observe his handsomeness all the time. She was still a young lady and that sort of decisions wasn't really surprising. But she kept that thought for you, pretending took him because she needed a servant.
Kai had been bring to the house immediately, violently by two soldiers. He put the uniform, and finally joined Fen while she was drinking green tea in the sofa. The uniform was too small for him because the difference of tall between a man of this world and a barbarian was quite huge. Fen could see some scratch on him, showing that the two soldiers hit him before, telling him he have to be obedient and be a personal slave is a chance. So Kai entered in the room, and stoop up next to the door.
«-This uniform is way too small. Said Fen with a laugh.
  -Because all the men in your nation are smaller than rabbits.
  -This is not true. It is you who are abnormal not us.
 Kai didn't answer to this, knowing that if he started like this, he will lose his temper. He hated when those little persons were criticizing his barbarian world.
  -Please, tell me how is your world.
  -What do you want to know ? 
  -Everything. Please sit here.
Fen pointed the floor in front of the sofa. Kai didn't really understand, and came sit on the floor. He was not sitting as the tradition wanted but he was barbarian, he didn't know. He started explain how the country was. They were sparkles in his eyes, he was looking away like if he could see his kingdom away.
  -...and there, there is a big fountain and next there is...
Fen wasn't really listenning she was more looking at the expression of joy on his face.He was looking so cute.
  -.... But what the hell am I doing ? I don't know why I tell you that... You are my enemy, I shouldn't told you all those things..
In one moment, his face took a cold expression.
  -W-what ?
  -I hope my people gonna win the war, and kill all those little men ! 
Suddenly, Fen thought about his father, and then Luhan. Tears came in her eyes.
  -Don't say that, this is horrible !
  -But little miss, don't forget I'm your opponent in this war. Don't wait me to be nice with you. I can maybe obey to your orders, but I'm not forced to like you, isn't it ? Said Kai with a cold smile.
He had this fury in him. Fury to be prisoner, fury to don't protect his country, fury to be a slave now.
  -Go away. It is enough.»
Kai stared at her, a magnetic stare. And left the room.
Fen tried to calm down, and kept her tears. She will not cry because of that stupid slave. She wanted so much to slapped him. But something had retained her. What was that feeling ?
At the moment she felt angry. But there was something else. 

 

She finished her green tea and without controlling it, fell asleep on the sofa.

 

_________________________

Thanks for reading my story c: ♥♥
I will write chapter 4 as soon as possible c;