Chapter Six

When I Look at the Stars

“Oppa! Why did you just keep quiet just now? Did you hear what that guy just said about omma and appa? How could you just stay quiet like that? Pffft…” Jiwoo started to babble all the way home and left Junhyung behind.

She was so angry. At both of them. Dujun was over his limit while her brother was too timid to fight back. Jiwoo just does not know at who she is angrier at. As of now, it would be easier to release all her anger at Junhyung.

Jiwoo stopped her steps when she heard no response from Junhyung.She shouted, “oppa! How could you just kept still just now! I’m so disappointed with you. Didn’t you feel anything when he said like that of our parents?” Junhyung lay his head down and kept quiet. Jiwoo met her limits. “Oppa!! Are you deaf? I’m talking to you!”

“Yahhh, Yong Jiwoo! Stop it! Stop shouting in the middle of the night! Just shut your mouth and get home! You are getting on my nerves! What was I supposed to do! Punch him? Knocked him out till he is unconscious? Hah!?"

 Junhyung could not stand Jiwoo’s complaints anymore. He usually would just say sorry when Jiwoo starts to complain and whine about his behavior that prefers listening then talking. However, that night, he got annoyed and blurted out those words to Jiwoo. He felt bad to Dujun. He felt bad about everything. He does not feel good about anything.

Jiwoo was stunned by Junhyung’s raised voice. She was about to cry. She held it in and said, “arasseo. I’ll be quiet. I’m just a little disappointed with my brother. I thought he would fight for the family. I thought that I could rely on him. I thought that I would be safe as I have him to protect me especially from that guy, that family. But I was wrong. I’m sorry. I’ll be quiet.” Jiwoo was disappointed. She ran home leaving regretful Junhyung.

 

“Mianhae, Jiwoo-ahh. Oppa just can’t do that to him. I owe him his father’s life. Mianhae, dongsaeng.” Junhyung said to himself.

Jiwoo reached home, lay down on the veranda and looked up to the stars. “Omma. Appa. What is wrong with oppa? Did oppa still think that he caused that guy’s father’s death? It’s an accident right? Nobody wanted that to happen. Omma, appa, please take care of oppa for me. He needs you both more than me. I miss the old Junhyung oppa. The egoist and full of himself oppa.” Jiwoo wiped her tears and went in the house.

 

*****

 

Dujun opened the balcony door and went out. He hugged himself as it was cold outside. He looked up to the stars, “are you doing alright out there? I met them again. Every time I saw them, the accident will come back to me. I’m sorry I could not protect you, appa. Omma, I miss you. A lot. That Jiwoo girl has the guts to raise her voice at me! She is going to get it from me. I hate her."

"Tomorrow I’m going to start college. Haraboji forced me to it. Or else, I would need to leave this house. I just can’t do that. Memories of you both are still fresh here in this house.” Dujun sighed deeply. Since he was left alone at home, without his parents, he would spend his days sleeping, sleeping and sleeping. Haraboji did persuade him to join the family business but he refuse to. He dislikes messing his head about the family business. Although he knows that he would still need to take over the business one fine day.

“Good night.” He went in to sleep.

Before closing his eyes, he remembered what happened just now.

 

“Yahh Yoon Dujun! Don’t you dare mention about our parents’ name anymore!! You better …”

 

Without realizing it, he chuckled to himself when he recalled how Jiwoo got angry at him. He was actually surprised that Jiwoo raised her voice at him.

“That was daring of you, Yong Jiwoo. Interesting.”

He smirked and fell asleep.