Crossed

Deceived
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

OST

 

She dug her nails deep into the moist soil. The feeling of the dirt under her nails would have made her cringe, but at the moment she didn't care, she was ignoring how it would have made her self-conscious and want to scrape it off. She was ignoring everything but the dirt. Due to the rain pouring the dirt were getting muddy each second, causing her outfit to be stained with the untasteful colors. Wiping the tears with the back of her mud covered hand, Chaeri picked up the bundle next to her. Uncovering the rectangular wooden box decorated in elaborate drawings hidden under mud covered t-shirt, Chaeri cried. Holding the box against her chest tightly, she let out a painful cry that teared her heart. Continuing to hold the box against her chest with one hand, Chaeri dug the soil deeper with her free hand. Wiping the tears with both hands and taking a deep breath, she shoved the box inside the hole and threw the dirt back on top. Gathering all the damped dirt turned mud with her hands, she buried the box. She buried the cursed object. It was suppose to bring her good luck, but it did everything but that. 

 

Sitting back against the tree trunk, Chaeri pulled her legs against her chest and rested her head on top of her knees. The smell of rain mixed with dirt wrapped her sound, suffocating her. there was a heaviness in her heart, it made her suffocate, making it harder for her to breath. She should have sold it, no matter how important it was for her. If she had done that, maybe she wouldn't be feeling this awful. Chaeri blinked away the raindrops that got caught on her eyelashes. She wished the rain could wash away this heavy feeling. Closing her eyes, Chaeri shook her head slightly as the tears returned. 

 

If only she could turn back the time.

 

 

 

 

The morning light peering through the curtains wasn't the reason for her waking up. It was the never ending sound of the doorbell ringing through out the quiet morning house. Slowly sitting up, Lim Chaeri rubbed her eyes-still half asleep-she pushed the cover and got out of the bed. Grabbing her hoodie from the back of her chair, she pulled it on and zipped it up before heading out of her bedroom and towards the front door of her apartment. Gathering her long amber brown hair up into a loose ponytail and securing it with the elastic band from her wrist, Chaeri peeked through the peephole. Resting her forehead against the door, Chaeri gave a annoyed sight before unlocking the door and opening it.

 

"Good morning, cousin." The tall male with jet-black hair walked through the door and past Chaeri before heading towards the living room. Shrugging his jacket off, he tossed it onto the couch and begin to search the living room. Closing the door, Chaeri crossed her arms against her chest and poked the inside of her cheek with her tongue as she watched her older cousin snooping through her apartment. 

 

"What are you doing here Siwan?" Chaeri asked, even though there was no point on asking. It was a monthly routine for Siwan's visit and it always involved around getting his hands on their family heirloom.Of course, as always, he would leave her apartment empty handed with a scowl on his face threatening her that he will have it one way or the other. So far the threat was nothing but empty words and continuous visit. "You won't find it, so get out." Chaeri told him in the most nicest tone she could muster up. She had ran out of patient with her cousin. They were never very close with each other, in fact Chaeri barely acknowledge his existence until her parents funeral-both her parents passed away due to a tragic hit-and-run. Siwan had shown up with his mother who happened to be the oldest sister of Chaeri's father. 

 

Chaeri had met Siwan once when he came to pick her up from school since her parents couldn't. It was the best moment for them to create a bond, giving how Siwan had another motive for picking her up. During the will reading, Chaeri had sat next to Siwan. Maybe it was the grieving or her intuition, but something told her that she shouldn't talk to Siwan or acknowledge his presence. While sitting through the reading, Chaeri and Siwan's family learnt that the family heirloom-the Golden Chopstick-was passed down to not Siwan's family, but to Chaeri. An heirloom that was worth a fortune if sold. 

 

As soon as the reading ended, Siwan didn't waste a second. Although his family was fine with whom the possession was handed down to, Siwan was not. He believed that the heirloom should have went to him instead. Since the heirloom was in the possession of Chaeri's father, it should be passed down to another family member other than his child; meaning him. Siwan had tried to ask for it, but Chaeri refused. Siwan had tried to hand her an offer, but Chaeri declined. For the past two years Siwan had tried different methods to get his hands on the chopsticks and each time Chaeri would pull it away from his grasp further and further. She would rather die than to give it up. 

 

"Stop being so stubborn, Chaeri." Siwan turned to her with a scowl. He too, have lost the patience over the two years. "Hand it over, it's no use to you." Pushing past his younger cousin, Siwan barged in through Chaeri's room and begin to look through her closet. "Where is it?" Slamming the closet door shut, Siwan opened and closed the desk drawers. "I can sense it you know, your annoyance." Glancing at Chaeri over his shoulder, Siwan gave a bitter chuckle. "I'm annoyed too, that you haven't gave it up yet. This could end you know, I can stop making this visit trying to reason with you if you just hand it over."

 

"This is reasoning with me?" Chaeri raised her browns in a fake surprise. "Because it looks like you're trashing my place to look for something you won't find. I could die right now and you won't find it." Leaning against the threshold of her bedroom door, Chaeri watched Siwan flipping her room upside-down and frankly she wasn't bothered by it. She was too used to this human typhoon to even care. "The only person who will ever know the whereabouts of those chopsticks are my future husband and kids-" Chaeri's word came to a abrupt stop when Siwan looked under her bed. Fortunately, Siwan was too busy with his snooping to notice it. 

 

Getting on his feet, Siwan brushed the lint off of his shirt and blew on his bang. "This isn't over," He told his cousin with a glare before shoving past her and walked out to the living room. Picking his jacket up, he headed for the door. Opening the door, he stopped and turned to Chaeri. "I will be back." He told her in a threatening voice before storming out. Rolling her eyes, Chaeri locked the doors before quickly running to her room. Kicking the books and pillows on the floor, she got on her knees and ducked under the bed. Using her nails, she stuck them through the edges of the squeaky floorboard and opened it. Removing the velvet covering, she opened the rectangular box and sighed in relief at the sight of the Golden Chopsticks. 

 

At times, Chaeri wanted to toss the thing away. It gave her so much trouble. She had to constantly look after it and hope that no one would steal it away from her or even be clumsy and lose it. Closing the floorboard, Chaeri sat back and sighed. One more year and she'll be moving gone. Chaeri had applied for a school in the US and just last week she had received the acceptance to one of the Art college. She just had to wait another year and she'll be away from Siwan. Then all of her hard work and patience would be wasted. Getting up, Chaeri looked out her window and stared down at Siwan getting in his car. She knew Siwan kept in touch with him, she had heard them talking to each other before. 

 

Do it already, Im Siwan.

 

 

 

 

The black-haired male had approached Kyungsoo at a convenient store. As always, sitting in front of the window, Kyungsoo had a cup of spicy ramen noodle waiting to be devoured. Flipping through the discarded magazine on the table, Kyungsoo waited for the noodles to be ready. After waiting for four minutes, he took the chopsticks and opened the cup of ramen. Letting the steam evaporate into the air, Kyungsoo mixed the noodles around the soup. Before he could satisfy his stomach with the food, the familiar black-haired male approached him. Sitting himself in the empty seat next to Kyungsoo, he leaned back on the seat.

 

Tossing the chopsticks into the cup, Kyungsoo poked the inside of his cheek with his tongue in annoyance. The last time he saw this bastard was two years ago when he gave Kyungsoo a job and the last time he had heard from him was a year ago. "What do you want, Siwan?" Kyungsoo pushed away the food due to his lost of appetite. Instead, he leaned foreword on the table and ran his hand through his chestnut-brown hair. What was the point of asking why he was here? It was pretty damn obvious, Siwan only appeared when he wanted something. 

 

"I need a favor," Siwan spoke, surely as Kyungsoo predicted it, he wanted something. "There is this particular object that I want and sadly some pristine little teenage won't give it up. I need you to get it for me." Taking out a pen and grabbing the napkin on the table, Siwan leaned over and wrote down a serious of large numbers before handing it to Kyungsoo. "That's the price I'll pay for your assistance."

 

As much as Kyungsoo wanted to take the offer and shove it down Siwan's throat, he needed the money and the price Siwan was willing to pay was; a lot to sum it up. Stretching his arms, Kyungsoo asked what it was and how to get it. At first, Kyungsoo laughed his cute little off when he heard that Siwan wanted him to steal an Golden Chopsticks. He thought it was a joke, but apparently, he was being serious. A seventeen-year-old girl was holding it safely somewhere in her house. Kyungsoo had asked if he was sure it was in her house and the boy was definitely sure. The item was a family heirloom that belonged to him and the teenage girl was not going to give it up easily. To Siwan's words, Kyungsoo was perfect for the job. Not only was he the best thief he could find, but because of who the girl is. 

 

Kyungsoo had asked who the girl is, but Siwan only told him; "You'll have to see for yourself." Kyungsoo had exactly three days to retrieve the item. Leaving his ramen on the table, Kyungsoo stepped out of the store and pulled on his hood. Stealing was easy for him, so this should be a piece of cake. He didn't understand why Siwan gave him four days, he knew it didn't take Kyungsoo less than twenty-four hours to steal whatever is needed to be stolen. Taking out the piece of paper Siwan had slipped him before he left, Kyungsoo followed the direction of the location and came to a stop in front of an apartment. Canvassing around the place, Kyungsoo counted up the windows. It was too high for him to climb without getting caught. Poking the inside of his cheek with his tongue, Kyungsoo walked inside and glanced around the doors to be more familiar with the locks. Seemed easy to open with the right device to decode the locks.

 

Walking back out, Kyungsoo glanced at his watch. He'll do the job tonight, get the money and disappear once again. Hopefully this time, somewhere where Siwan won't be able to find him. Frankly, Kyungsoo was getting tired of getting these low-level jobs from him. Sure he was a petty thief, but not that petty to result in small robberies. Walking back to the small apartment he had rented out, Kyungsoo went over the plan in his head. If the information Siwan gave him was accurate, the girl should be leaving her apartment for her monthly movie night. That's when Kyungsoo will proceed with his plan.

 

 

 

 

Chaeri turned all the lights off and closed the door behind her before locking it. It was the day of the month where she would reward herself with a dateless movie night for not throwing a boulder over Siwan's head. Walking down the stairs and out of the apartment, she walked towards the direction of the theater. Digging through her bag, Chaeri cursed under her breath for forgetting her phone. Turning around, she walked back up to her apartment when she noticed the black silhouette stopping in front of her apartment door. Stepping back down the stairs, she chewed on her bottom lips, wondering before she went back up and saw the figure gone. 

 

Glancing at her door, Chaeri tapped the side of her thigh with her hand before pulling out the key card. Swapping the card, she opened the door and slowly looked inside. What once was a dark living room was opened with bright lights. Someone was inside her apartment. Closing the door quietly behind her, Chaeri took a deep breath before looking inside and sure enough found the black figure digging through her apartment. "Can I help you?" Chaeri asked quietly with mixed emotions. Half of her brain told her that it was Siwan, trying to search her house while the other part told her it was someone else.

 

The figure stopped from there snooping at the sound of her voice. Slowly, standing up straight, the thief turned around and pull their hood down to stare at Chaeri with wide eyes. Chaeri's heart gave a tight squeeze at the sight of the thief. She knew him, she shared her first kiss with him; Do Kyungsoo. She had the biggest crush on him when she was little and back than she thought he felt the same. But then after kissing her, he disappeared completely and she never heard from him again. Until a year ago, she found out that he was closer than she though he would be. 

 

Kyungsoo stared at Chaeri in surprise. He wasn't surprise at the fact that she had caught him, no; it was the fact that the resident is Lim Chaeri. He knew this girl, he had gave her her first kiss before leaving for a job. Since then, he hadn't heard or saw her. From time to time Kyungsoo wondered what would have happened if he had stayed instead of leaving. Seeing her standing before her, Kyungsoo's old feelings were rushing back in. But then he realized it, that bastard Siwan. He knew Kyungsoo had a history with this girl. For crying out loud, Siwan was Chaeri's cousin. What did she have that Siwan had to hire a thief to steal it? "Chaeri," Her name slipped out of Kyungsoo's mouth. 

 

"What are you doing here?" Chaeri asked as she curled her fist.

 

Taking the gloves off from behind his back, Kyungsoo gave her a light chuckle. "Hey, it's been long huh? I came to surprise you." Kyungsoo lied. He couldn't tell here that his a thief who came to steal her family heirloom. "How have you been?" Kyungsoo could see that Chaeri was a bit skeptic of him, who wouldn't? But she didn't ask any question, she greeted him back a bit slowly though. Kyungsoo wondered if she was feeling exactly the way he was. Old feelings rushing back, the urge to wrap his arms around her and embrace her in a tight hug. Inhale that scent of her's and give her a kiss they once shared before once again. 

 

The intense stare Chaeri gave him was actually making him break a sweat, he was afraid of what would come out of her pretty pair of lips. So, before she could ask him any question Kyungsoo took the initiative. He asked her how she was doing, what she had been doing for the past five years. He had asked her various of question about herself, keeping the spotlight away from him with each words that came out of his lips. Kyungsoo's guard slowly diminished as Chaeri sat on her couch and begin to talk about what had happened over the years like a flashback, giving Kyungsoo an ease that she had forgotten the fact that he had broken into her house. 

 

Chaeri had offered him a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter