4

To hear your voice

4—Reckless feelings.

 

They were together again, and she knew Yongguk was going to make a joke out of it. From the looks of it, he was. That knowing smirk and roll of his eyes showed he wasn’t going to speak and she grinned, waving goodbye.

“Have fun on your date!” Spoke too early. From the music room travelled his booming deep voice and she groaned, grabbing Daehyun’s arm anyway. There was a slight twinkle in his eyes that didn’t use to belong there, and she smiled. He’d changed, in a good way. But regardless of how much he changed, Daehyun was still the same awkward guy to her. Despite hearing her senior’s voice, he seemed more amused than shy or embarrassed, and though she was slightly disappointed she was thankful. After all, if he really felt something for her it would be bad.

 

The meadow was silent to everyone but Dan. To her, the meadow was full of different sounds and it was her favorite place to visit. Especially with Daehyun around, it was another unique experience.

“May 25th, 2012. Jung, say hi.” The girl grinned, prodding the shocked boy to do as she said and he swallowed, before muttering a greeting. To her it was more than enough and she grinned before continuing with her monologue. “That was Daehyun! Jung Daehyun, the hot guy I’ve been hanging out with recently.” She’d totally forgotten about his presence, and sat up straight suddenly with a slight blush. .

She stole a glance at the boy still on his back, and he took his mask off all of a sudden. The girl quickly looked back at her recorder, lost for words until the boy burst in laughter. It was a pleasant sound, much like music and she hastily put her recorder close, thankful that she hadn’t stopped the recording.

Finally, he stopped laughing and she nearly regretted letting him.

“I know I’m hot, no need to get all shy over it.”

“Keep lying to yourself, Jung.”

“Hey, it’s a fact alright?”

“No way. The words just slipped out; I didn’t mean them.”

“Whatever you say, Dan. Whatever makes you happy.”

“Hey you make it sound like I’m a brat who needs you to coax.”

“Are you not?”

“Yah! I’m not!” She blushed before getting to her feet and the boy grinned before jumping to his feet to, sprinting off with her behind his heels. She loved spending time with—every second of it. Because she knew, no matter how much she enjoyed it, it wasn’t a waste.

 

“June 12th, 2012. It was a standing ovation. I’m still in shock.”

 

“June 16th, 2012. We’re going to compose a song. Together, a duet, for the two of us… I’m excited. But I’m dreading it too. What if I lose it before we finish the piece?”

 

Daehyun stood on the other side of the track, shouting over but she could only parts of it. What she managed to understand was that he was asking her out and she froze. How was she supposed to handle such a situation, when she didn’t have what it took to be a lover? Yet she smiled, because she had to. There was no way to get out of it now, and she knew the truth had to be revealed, regardless of how much she wished for it to not be.

She smiled, hoping it wasn’t a grimace and shook her head, staring at the train that had went past.

“Brat! Say that again!” She was shouting, for they were on different sides of the track and neither wanted to move. “I could only hear parts of it!” While that was the truth, she knew things had to come to an end.

“I like you, Dan. Will you go out with me?” He smiled, the nervousness showing on his face and tensed arms, the gritted teeth and she smiled softly before shaking her head. She watched, as the momentary shock of rejection flashed past his beautiful features.

“I’m sorry, Jung. There’s something I need to tell you.” It was as though the skies wished for her to keep it a secret, as the rain began to pour. The first drop they noticed landed on his cheek, much like a teardrop and she shook her head, cocking her head to the right. “We should go.”

 

Running in the rain was always a fun thing to do. Dan used to imagine escaping from the water under a jacket with her boyfriend, or spinning about under the rain but not this. It was enjoyable, sure, but the tension in the air was killing her. They both remained silent, until he gently took her hand and looked at her. Dan knew she was soaked from head to toe. She also knew, that her hand was trembling but she didn’t mind. The Daehyun before her was smiling, his hand much warmer than before and she laughed, letting him pull her into the shelter, near the train station.

The wild hammering of her heart made her realize that these feelings wouldn’t leave by themselves, and she waited for him to pull the packets of gum out from his pocket.

“Daehyun, I have something to tell you.” Her voice was shaking, like her fingers were and he took her hand again, lacing their fingers together. She stared at their interlocked fingers, how they seemed to fit perfectly together and bit on her lower lip.

“I’m listening.” He nodded, showing he was willing to do whatever she wished for him to, but she really doubted it. If she asked him to leave her, would he? Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath and prayed for the best, no matter what that may be.

“I… I’m losing my hearing.” 

 

------------

Finally she tells him! Yay!