2

To hear your voice

2— Reckless diversions.

 

“April 26th, 2012. Apart from the mind-blowing performance I, the great pianist, participated in an hour ago, nothing has really caught my attention—” Just as the words slipped out of , she froze. There he was. The boy she almost couldn’t bear to leave a few days back.

Until now, she couldn’t put her finger around it. Was he more of a beauty, or a handsome beast? Hooded or not, he’s easily spotted.

“Scratch that. I just found something interesting to do.”

It turned out that he lived pretty near her. His walk was considerably graceful for a male, without the obnoxious shake of shoulders and swinging of arms. Sure, his arms did swing, and his shoulders did shake, but they never irked her. The hood remained on his head, and she knew intuitively that his mask was still on. He looks so much better without it. Though he still looks great with it.

It almost felt as if he was bringing her about on purpose, and she scowled at the signboard. That was the third time she’d seen it in the past hour. Her schedule was quite free, so she put it to the back of her mind and turned the corner, her jaw dropping.

The wind was roaring in her ears as she stood still. It was the first time something like this had happened, and she ran a few steps just to make sure. I lost sight of him.

She groaned and spun about just to be sure, before taking her recorder out. The rustling of leaves on that tree so tall, nearly arrogant, was something worth recording and she smiled. However, that small expression changed to shock when she heard a voice.

“Who are you?” It’s him.

The first thing that went through her head was that she wanted to listen to his singing voice one day. The second thing, though, was that she was in trouble. No, she was in deep . Shrugging, she turned anyway. That grin she wore most of the time was back, but slightly uncertain.

She put a pale white hand out, changing the grin to a bright smile. She was trying her best to stay on her feet, and not run away.

“Hi, my name is Dan.”

 

The girl went on her tiptoes, her fingers reaching yet failing to touch the ceiling at the staircase. Bouncing on her feet, she jumped and quietly marveled at the sound her fingertips made upon meeting the carpeted ceiling. However she was never too agile; she missed a step and gasped, tumbling down the stairs. Soon enough, she arrived before the door and her landlord—an old woman—clicked her tongue. To others, it was from annoyance. But to her, it was due to amusement. And she didn’t mind making others laugh by making a fool out of herself.

“Fell again, little girl? Be more careful next time!” She swung her walking stick and she squealed, quickly putting her shoes on. Old Mrs. Jung was all she had, and this elderly was the only person she counted as family. Waving, Dan skipped out and locked the gate, sighing.

She leaned against the wall beside the gate, noting how it was already yellowing. Moss had grown at the bottom, and she smiled at the sound of wind chimes. They were like sirens, luring unknowing humans into the sea. If she were to be eaten by wind chimes, it could be a peaceful death.

The girl closed her eyes, allowing the darkness to heighten her other senses… like her hearing. The rustling of the leaves made its way to her ears, and she smiled as the cool wind caressed her skin and brought her hair up. She was never one for extravagant fluffy dresses, so when the wind grew bigger there was no need to press down on her thigh-length top. Her black tights made sure nobody saw anything they were not supposed to.

She suddenly picked up the scent of cologne and sniffed he air, momentarily forgetting to open her eyes. When she remembered to, though, the sight before her eyes made her stand and stare. She saw him, in a creamy white shirt and simple blue jeans. The side of his face was placed on his folded arms, as he peacefully slept away.

Grinning, she brought the recorder and put it close to his shapely lips, clicking on the top button. Again, she stared and smiled. He was a work of art, and the cheerful humming of the wind only made him appear princely. Who knew? Perhaps he really was one.

Lo and behold, the great prince’s light snores were now saved in her recordings.

Frowning, she wondered if she should wake him. After all, sitting on a bicycle’s tiny seat for too long could make one’s ache. Reaching her hand, she was going to poke him when a cold hand wrapped around her wrist. . She looked immediately at his scowl and gulped.

“What are you—?” Before he could finish his question, she cut in.

“No, what are you doing outside my place?” The girl folded her arms, cocking her head to the right and watched as the boy collected himself.

“I’d like to ask why you were following after me that day… and a few days ago.” His eyes were cold and challenging, yet there was a small spark hidden behind all that. And she saw it. She knew he wasn’t angry, despite the show he was putting up and grinned.

“Because I felt like it? What’s your name? How did you know I lived here?” She kept the warm smile on her face, and then dropped it with a frown. “Were you stalking—?”

“No way in hell I would stalk a girl like you.” He said it way too quickly, stumbling over his own words and she rolled her eyes obnoxiously, before grinning. It was a haughty and y one, yet cheeky and she shook her head.

“What’s this ‘I’m-stalking-you-but-I’m-too-manly-to-admit-it’ guy’s name? I’m Dan, and I trust you know it.” She put her hand out with her trademark smile and watched, as he pursed his lips and stared at the outstretched, as if contemplating it. Finally, he put his hand out and they had contact for the first time.

“Daehyun. My name’s Jung Daehyun.”

 

--------

Aaaaand there you have it! It's Dae!!