Four

To the Wonders
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Myungsoo flinched a little upon the surface beneath his head vibrate. Slowly, he opened his eyes and raised his head slightly only to see the sight of Suzy, Suzy who sat on the other side of the timber table, gazing back at him.

“You’re here?” Myungsoo said, his voice sounded a little frail. The boy yawned and sat up modestly. It was cold and tiny puffs of mist appeared whenever they exhaled.  

Suzy looked at him for a second more, only to turn her focus back to the novel, finally she said (and he swore he even saw her smirk), “Were you waiting for me?”

He flashed a smile, a bright one at that, “Well, I wouldn’t call it that. Don’t you have any lectures today?”

“I do, but it’s at twelve. Do you?”

“I don’t. Say, how was your day today?”

“It’s barely begun. It’s only ten.” She replied, her voice sounded somewhat drowsy.

“Then how about yesterday?”

“It was tiring.” Blatantly she replied, her eyes not wandering one bit away from the novel.

“How so? Did you run errands?”

Suzy shook her head and her lips formed a little curve, “It’s not that.”

“Ah.” He said no more and nodded. Silence formed a wall between the two, and the only sound that was to be heard was the crusty sound of the page turning from Suzy’s book and some silent chattering behind them. The library was packed; usually there wouldn’t be a lot of people in the library so it came about a surprise to the both of them.

“How about you?” She finally asked, and gave him a quick glance in return, “How was yesterday?”

“Yesterday,” Myungsoo reflected, “Yesterday, I saw a friend cry for the first time in a long time.”

“Do you mind if I ask why? Why they were crying, I mean.”

“Well,” he started, “I saw something he didn’t want me to see, so I threw a punch at him. You see, I’ve seen him do this before; he promised me he’d stop, but he didn’t and I got mad.”

Suzy stopped reading. Her stare on the paper, still, she asked, “Did he tell you why he did it?”

A brief pause. “I’m still waiting.”

“So that friend hasn’t told you,” Suzy said; her focus on Myungsoo this time, “But you know, am I right?”

“Correct.” Myungsoo grinned, “I’ve known. I’ve known for a while, actually.”

“What do you think, then?” Suzy raised both her eyebrows.

Myungsoo smiled, “It’s nothing to hate yourself for.”

A pause. And she turned her gaze back to the book. “Then, you should wait.”

“I know, I know.” Myungsoo returned, “Have you eaten?”

 “This morning. And you?”

“I have.” He drooped his body towards the table and slowly he rested his head back on the flat surface, using his arms as a pillow, he turned to his side “Wake me up before you leave, will you?”

“Sure.”

“Thanks, Suzy.” He rested his eyes. Suzy gazed at him, his hair was uncombed and dishevelled, he’s pale and his jet black hair does nothing whatsoever to tone down his fair complexion. His chapped lips (which Suzy assumed was from the coldness of the winter air) were coated with a light smile, even though he was fast asleep. She smiled, and she had no idea why.

Bae Suzy liked Kim Myungsoo. Not in that sort of way, though. You see, Suzy didn’t like many people. She didn’t like her ‘friend’, Krystal, who was too nice that it seemed fake and she didn’t like Jinri, who was too perfect that it became irritating. Most of all, she hated how she’d suddenly have to transform into this whole new person whenever she was around her so-called friends (so she’d avoid them at all possible costs). But suddenly, she found herself engaging in conversations with this person, Kim Myungsoo, and strangely enough she actually enjoyed it. In a different, you can say fantastic way, she liked him. Bae Suzy liked Kim Myungsoo.

. . .

“Why are you crying, Suzy-yah?” Suho patted the younger one on her back as she dug her face on his chest. They were at their cousin’s funeral at that time. She committed suicide.

“I really liked that unnie. Why did she have to leave us so early, oppa?” Ten year old Suzy cried even more. “It’s not fair.”

Suho hugged her tighter, “It’s okay, Suzy-yah; she’s in a better place now.”

“Why do people have to die? Why does Minho oppa’s mom have to die? Why do they leave the ones they left with so much... grief?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter