Three

To the Wonders
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yah, why weren’t you answering your phone?” Suho nagged, “Do you know how worried we were – especially dad, do you?!” The three of them, Suho, Suzy and Minho, were in Suho’s car on their way to home.

“Oppa, I’m sixteen, give it a rest. Besides, it’s only one AM.” She glanced at Minho, who seemed amused at her current situation.

“Only? Bae Suzy, did you drink?”

She sighed, “For the last time; I didn’t!” 

“Liar,” Suho persisted, “You reek of liquor.”

“Well... I only drank a little—”

Suho interrupted her, “Why?”

“What do you mean why?”

“Why have you started doing these things? I mean, last week you stayed over at a guy’s house and the week before you skipped classes to go to a noraebang. Who’s making you do all of this stupid things, Suzy-yah? Mom and dad are fed up of it, and honestly, I am too.”

“Oppa, first of all, the guy is gay, secondly, it wasn’t to go to a noraebang but the cinema and thirdly, no one is making me do these ‘stupid’ things, I chose to do them.” Suzy rolled her eyes and sat slumped on the backseat of Suho’s car. “Just because you spend most of your time in the library.” She muttered.

“Yah!”  Suho snapped, “Our mom and dad are already fed up of–”

“They’re not...” Suzy stammered, “My mom and dad, oppa. If you were paying more attention, you would have known that I was–”

“Yah, yah, yah... You two better stop arguing already; argue later when we get home.” Minho stopped the two and the journey home became a quieter one. A much quieter one.

. . .

Suzy woke up from a dream or specifically what’s called a nightmare. She’s had this nightmare a few too many times before. The same nightmare where she’d drown about a hundred times before waking up and when she did, she’d still feel suffocated from it. It was the worst.

It was still midnight, or so she presumed as she judged from the little amount of light that entered her bedroom curtains. She wiped her sweat off her forehead using the back of her hand and got up to change her t-shirt, which was substantially drenched in sweat. Before leaving her room to head downstairs, she checked the time and simply, it read five thirty.

“The library would be open at seven so...” Suzy muttered to herself and so with that, she took a shower, got ready, grabbed her bag and finally she opened the front door but stopped short for the reason that she felt someone tap her shoulder.

“Good morning.”  Minho’s voice greeted her.

“It’s you?” Suzy turned to him, “Listen, tell mom that I’m heading out for a bit.”

“At six?” Minho raised an eyebrow.

She nodded, her expression showed a hint of guilt, “Yeah.”

 “Should I drive you there?”

“No thanks, I can walk.”

“Well, if you say so,” Minho didn’t even bother to glance at Suzy and continued to the couch as he watched TV, “don’t stay there too late, though. Jia will be coming over at five.”

Suzy paused, “Okay.”

. . .

“Good morning,” Myungsoo flashed a smile as soon as he saw Suzy, “you’re here a little early, it isn’t even open yet.” The two of them stood in the library with no one in sight apart from them. There weren't any lights open but the sunlight from outside managed to get through the windows, and it provided enough light inside.

“But you’re here too.” She glanced at the counter, where Myungsoo stood. It couldn''t be. “Wait; don’t tell me that you work here?”

“Part-time job actually, I only work until nine,” Myungsoo said, “which reminds me, you have a book overdue, The Fault in Our Stars?”

“Ah, that... Here,” Suzy pulled out a book from her bag and walked over to the counter, before giving it to him. She quickly walked to one of the book shelves upon doing so.

“Did you like it?” The boy’s smile broadened as he scanned the book, “The book– I mean.”

“I did.” Suzy looked at him and back at the bookshelf, “But... Since when have you worked here? I’ve never seen you.”

“Since the start of last year,” Myungsoo replied, he glanced over at Suzy who browsed through the books. “Suzy,”

“Hm?”

He hesitated for a while until finally he asked her, “Since I have nothing to do and no one to accompany me, do you want to get coffee later on?”

She looked at him, “I don’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter