chapter 1

bE my StAr?

Chapter 1

‘BEEEEE~P!!’

The sound of my alarm clock rang and it was already 8 am in the morning but I was already wide awake. I hadn’t slept the night before as I was too excited to even sleep. I didn’t want to wake up and find out that it was all a dream.

I grinned to myself and sat up, until a throbbing headache hit me like a bull hits a bullfighter. I staggered standing up and pinched the bridge of my nose to stop the pain, momentarily. I didn’t want to waste anymore time since I had to be at Mr. Jun Ki’s office by 10 am. So, I took a quick shower, got dressed, ate breakfast and then took off towards the agency.

When I arrived at the agency, it was already 9 am and I had an hour so I decided to go to the dance studio and practice and also try to find my missing star charm bracelet. It was a very special charm to me and I didn’t want to lose it.

I was walking towards the dance studio when I saw a group of trainees, including my friends, surrounding...something. Whatever or whoever it was, they apparently were important and possibly famous because the girls were screaming and squealing. “Aishhh...neomu sikkeuleoun (so noisy)...” I muttered as I shoved past them. “Sillye (excuse me)! Make way, please!”

Shoving through the crowd, I finally managed to get through and stumbled out of the crowd, bumping into Mr. Jun Ki. He chuckled and helped me up. “Neo gwenchanhni (are you okay), Seon Na shie?” he asked.

I sighed and nodded. “Mianhae sonnim (sorry sir), there was a huge crowd... I couldn’t get through them. Aigoo, what’s with that crowd anyways!? AISH!” I glared at the direction of the crowd until Mr. Jun Ki called me.

“Seon Na shie,” I glanced back at him and he smiled. “Gaja (let’sgo).”

“Ah, mianhae, can I just meet you at your office later? I need to go get something from the dance studio first.” I said to him.

He nodded and walked away but then turned around before disappearing from my line of sight. “It’s fine, just get there before 10, you have...5 minutes.” he said.

“Ye, sonnim (sir)!”

I looked around and sighed, seeing as the crowd of people was still there but I think it’s grown bigger for some reason. With that many people, it’d be improbable to get from here through the crowd to the dance studio and back again and then to Mr. Jun Ki’s office, so I just gave up and rushed to Mr. Jun Ki’s office.

I knocked on the door and entered the room. Jun Ki was already sitting down in front of the coffee table where a blue file was placed. I believed that to be the contract. “Mr. Jun Ki—”

He cut me off. “Please, call me Jun Ki but before we sign the contract, I would like to discuss a few things first,” Jun Ki showed me to the seat in front of him and placed a cup of tea on the table. “Come.”

I sat down and glanced at the blue file and then at Jun Ki, confused. “What did you want to talk to me about?” I asked, impatient.

“As you know, once you sign the contract you will be debuting as an idol and one thing that worries me is your condition and what the media would think of it. Once you debut, I am sure you’ll be keeping this a secret but I have to warn you that there is no secret you can keep from the media. Also, with tours, dance routines, concerts and so on, the hectic schedule requires a healthy body that can withstand the pressure...I am concerned that you might not be able to handle it.” Jun Ki explained, looking at me seriously.

I nodded and looked down to the blue file—the key to my dream come true. “...I know that the tours, the concerts and the constant busy schedule would be a hard, especially for me with my condition. I had a feeling that this question would come up sooner or later,” I said, sighing.

Jun Ki turned to me, looking confused. “If you knew, why did you—?”

“NAE KKUM-IYA (IT’S MY DREAM)! If everything was impossible to do and if every challenge were impossible to get over, we wouldn’t be able to get anything done, now would we? Look, I knew the difficulty of making my dream come true, given my condition, and I haven’t even gave up once, what makes you think I would worry about it now? I’ve danced, sung and done things most people with my condition find hard to do and I did it for 16 years. It won’t make a difference to me now.” I said, huffing angrily.

I didn’t intend on blurting everything out like that but it really frustrated me. I looked up at Jun Ki, ready to apologize but was shocked to see him smiling at me pleased and proud. “Dabbyeon joh-a (good answer). That’s what I wanted to hear from you. Seon Na shie, please sign the contract.”

“YE (YES)!”

It felt oddly similar even though I had signed the contract. I thought that after signing the contract, I would feel different. I thought I would feel a sense of accomplishment but I guess the real feeling of accomplishment lies within me doing something to make a name for myself.

Jun Ki smiled at me, knowing what I was thinking probably and put on a pair of glasses. “From now on, I’m your manager.”

“Ye...”

“Let’s get to work, shall we? I’ve discussed this with the director and we’ve decided that your first ever showcase and your debut will be in a year’s time. Usually it’d be at the end of the year but given the circumstances, we decided this would be best.”

“Algess-eoyo (I see). Jun Ki ah, what exactly will I be doing?”

He handed me piece of paper which I assumed was my schedule. “Dancing and singing lessons will start on the same time and same days but it’ll be extended so make sure you rest well before the next lesson,” he said. “For now, this’ll be your schedule but be ready because I will contact you the minute we have the song for your first debut single album.”

I nodded and took a peek at my schedule. “I guess I should head to my dance class first then,” I said to Jun Ki.

Jun Ki handed me a piece of small paper that had directions on it. I looked up at him, confused. “Your new trainer will be in the dance studio of the 3rd floor. Work hard but don’t push yourself, understand?”

“Ye, then... Annyeong Jun Ki.”

***

As I left the office, I walked back to the dance studio to find my star charm bracelet. There were still other trainees dancing around so I didn’t go in to disturb them. “Ajusshi (Mister)!!” I called the janitor who was just exiting the dance studio.

He turned around. “Ye, can I help you?” he asked.

“Ajusshi, did you see a charm bracelet anywhere in there when you were cleaning?” I asked, hopefully.

“Mianhae, miss, “said the janitor.

“Ohh....”I said, disappointement clear in my voice. “Gumaweoyo”

“Ye..”

As I walked away, the janitor called me all of a sudden. “Miss!”

 “Geugeos-eun mueos-inga (what is it)?”

He sighed and said, “I did see a man last night picking up something from the ground after Mr.Jun Ki and you left the room. Maybe that’d would help?”

My eyes widened. “Nugu (who)? When?? What time?! Did you know him??!” I asked, quickly.

“Mianhae, I don’t know who he was but I think he probably works here. I did see him going into the studio after he talked to a group of his friends,” he said before he left. A guy with a group of friends? ...Aigoo~ any guy here can be that guy!! WHO ARE YOU!!!?? MY BRACELET!!!