Chapter 1

Loving Brothers

 

Sehun and Luhan are twins. They weren’t identical but they looked so much alike people often mistaken them as so. Sehun was the less mature one who kept his hair cut short and dark brown for the time being. The two rarely ever argued. Since they were little, the two would always stand side by side and would support one another. They shared everything and anything with each other. 

Christmas was on it’s way soon and snow lightly dusted the windows of their small apartment. The two were getting the place ready for their parents visits. Sehun sat on the couch with his feet plopped up on the coffee table, eating chips while watching a daily comedy show on television.  

                “Hey, why don’t you get up and do some work?” Luhan asked, hitting him with the handle of the broomstick in which he swept the room with. 

                “Relax, mom and dad won’t be here for another week. We have plenty of time.” He turned his attention back to the tv, laughing with his hand full of potato chips. 
                “I guess you’re right…” Luhan sighed and joined his brother on the couch. “What are you watching?” 
Sehun shrugged and laughed once more at another punch line. Luhan snatched the remote off the couches’ cushion and flipped through the channels, feet joining his brothers on the table. 
                “Hey! I was watching that!” 
                “Too bad!” 

Sehun sulked into the pillows and stared at his brother's side. After a moment of pouting passed, he interrupted his brothers focus on the show, placing his hand on top of his. 

                Hyung, I have something to tell you..” 

                “What?” he said, sharply turning his head in his direction. 

                “I love you.” 

Luhan rolled his eyes and jerked his hand away from under his.  

                “You know I never say things like that.” 

                “I know.” His heart a filled with a sadness that he had been familiar with most of his life. I love you too. Were the words he longed for most of his life and knowing that he’d never hear him utter those words to him, truly tore him apart inside.  

                “Why don’t you have a girlfriend?” Sehun blurted out. 

                “What? Why are you asking me this?” 

                “Because I don’t understand. You’re smart and handsome and girls practically throw themselves at you.” 

                “Well, I’m not into any of these girls around here…” Luhan smirked and quickly changed the subject. “Do you think mom and dad are going to be on our case about marriage?” 

                “Of course they will.” Sehun slid into his brothers lap, smiling wider than ever. “We could just tell them that we’re dating.” He joked, painfully. 
                “Are you kidding? It’s like you want them to kill us. They’d burn us for sure.” 

                “You know...some lovers...die together..” 

 
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

 
 

                “What’s this?” Sehun fumbled with the paper in his hand, upset with it’s context. 

                “Grocery list. Get going.” 
                “But why do I have to go?! It’s going to take hours! There’s like a million things on here to get!” 
                “Good! Maybe I can finally get something done around here with you gone!” 
Sehun whined and stomped and pouted but in the end he knew he had no choice but to go. 

                “Well if I have to go, I’m adding chips on the list.” 

 
 

As the door swung opened to their small apartment, the cold winter wind rushed in. The hallway had filled with frigid air, much colder than the temperature outdoors. Sehun buttoned his coat to the very top, rubbed his hands together and grinned. No matter how mad his brother made him, he could never stay angry with him that long. He loved his brother, he really did, and it pained him that nothing could become of it.  Stepping outside, the thin layer of snow crunched beneath his feet as he crossed the street to the black Corolla that he and his brother shared. 

The ride to the store was short and only lasted about 10 minutes but driving alone is what Sehun hated most. As he drove, the thought about his parents visit popped into his head. They would always ask him about who he was dating and everytime he shied away from the topic, just to say that all the girls he met were boring- glancing at Luhan, flashing a small smile. But what could he say this time? Now that they were getting older, their parents pressured them about getting married and often mentioned setting up blind dates for them. Sometimes he’d give in and meet a couple of girls. They were sweet, funny and kind but his heart was never there. Sehun sighed. He knew the truth would reach surface one day. 

 
 

When he arrived, the parking lot was next to empty- excluding the few cars sprinkled around. Everyone either must be done with their Christmas shopping or they’re really waiting until the last minute. He thought to himself as he parked, taking a look around the lot in disbelief then turning his attention to the paper he now held in his hands. “So long…” he mumbled to himself, the corners of his lips moving downward in disappointment.  

His long pale fingers wrapped the handle to the shopping cart as he made his way into the store, eyes gazing at the stand full of his favorite chips. 
“Chips.” he announced under his breath, picking up a bag. “Check.” 

As he turned a sharp corner into aisle six, he jumped back, startled by what he saw. There was a woman dressed in all black, in a velvet gothic styled dress. Her jet black hair, streaked with strands of grays, hung from her head and down her back accompanied by a small veil that stood on the crown of her head. She turned towards him and instantaneously, her slightly yellow stained teeth appeared in a smile. She reached up towards him and caught herself, retrieving her hand back by her side.  
                “Sorry dear...you seem so familiar…” Her voice was small and gentle, despite her dagger like eyes.  

Sehun arched an eyebrow, half in confusion and half in annoyance.  

                “Really…? Maybe you think I’m someone else ma’am.” 

                “No, no...I’m sure I’ve seen you before.” She dug into her purse and fished out a small card and handed it over to Sehun. It was dark blue with white lettering, boarded by a cascade of stars. It read, “Psychic Anna. Your future can be told and your past is always known.” Sehun smirked and glanced down at the woman, amazed at how tacky her words were.       “Perhaps you'd like to stop by sometimes.” 

Her eyes softened and her black painted fingernails wrapped around the handle to her basket.  
“Umm...sure..” 
“I know you will!” her smile returned. “I can see it!” She let out a dry, eerie laugh and bid farewell to Sehun and herself could attend to their business, leaving Sehun with a dark heavy feeling in his heart. This woman’s certainty of his familiarized face left him to believe she must’ve really been part of his past, although that thought had no definite reassurance.  
After about an hour or so of speeding through the aisles aimlessly, Sehun checked off the final item on the list and made his way to the registers. He eyed some gummy bears and a few packages of gum, but decided to leave them as is. Glancing up, about three registers down, he spotted Anna staring at him. The irises of her eyes seemed to glow a dark color from the distance. Her pupils kept small but focused on him, leaving an uneasy dark feeling in the air. After bagging the groceries, Sehun quickly pushed this cart and made his way out into the parking lot. There he noticed that the lot was nearly full. But how could that be when the store was practically empty? Sehun shrugged and decided to leave the mystery for someone else to solve. 

 
 

When he pulled up to the buildings front, he dialed upstairs to tell his brother his whereabouts.  

                “I’m back. Come downstairs and help.” 

                “Fine. Give it a minute.” 

As Sehun waited he thought again about his parents arrival, worried about their suspicions. They couldn’t possibly tell, right? After a few minutes passed, there was a knock on the passengers window. Sehun squinted his eyes and leaned over for a closer look through the tinted glass and grimaced when he realized who it was. Rolling down the window, the unwanted guest looked into the car, eagerly waving and flashing a grand smile.  

                Luhan sent me to help!” 

                “Of course he did…” Sehun grumbled, taking off the seatbelt and opening the car door. Glancing over, he realized he was only wearing a white t-shirt, blue jeans and a hoodie.  

“Hey, Minseok. Aren’t you cold?” 

Minseok smiled again and shook his head. “It’s weird isn’t it? I don’t ever really get cold.” He said, while grabbing a few bags out the trunk. 

Sehun hated Kim Minseok. He wasn’t a bad person or anything, it was just because he liked his brother. You could read it all over his face that he did. Minseok was always over lately and up under him. Sehun admitted that he was a bit jealous. Minseok had more of a chance than he ever could with Luhan 

                “When did you come over here?” 
                “Hmmm….I little under an hour, maybe.” 

The two managed to carry all the bags into the building in one shot but what awaited was an awkward elevator ride to the fourth floor.  

Minseok cleared his throat and the silence while waiting for the elevator to reach the ground floor.  

                “I heard your parents will be here soon. I haven’t seen them for a while...H-How are they doing?”  

                “They’re just fine. Thanks for asking.” he said, rotating his right wrist. “They’ll be staying for a few weeks into the New Year.” Sehun hoped that their parents stay would cause Minseok to go into hiding for some time. The only hard thing about that was the pure fact that Minseok lived on the sixth floor. 

The elevator doors glided open and in went Sehun and MinseokMinseok took a deep breath and held it in his lungs until he could remember to let it out, along with “Did I do something wrong…? To upset you?” 

Sehun looked back at him. His face was drained of color and his eyes stared at the gray elevator floor, looking up when the elevator stopped. 

Sehun thought for a brief moment, beamed a simple smile while looking Minseok once over.  

                “No, you haven’t. I’m sorry if I’ve made you feel that way.” 

Minseok’s eyes filled with glee and his mouth opened to reveal two rows of pearly whites aligned with one another. 

As they exited they could see Luhan’s head peeking from the apartment, his blond hair a mess on top of his hair. Sehun’s face flashed a sign of contentment when he spotted his deer eyed brother down the hall.  

Hyung,” He lifted both arms up, full of groceries, in the air while advancing towards him. “I got everything! And some chips!” 

Luhan disregarded him and kept his eyes on Minseok,  making his brother's body fill with sadness, shoulders slumped forward.  

                "Minseok, hurry before I start the movie without you!" Sehun's eyes lit up with anger as Minseok sped up ahead of him.  

                "Don't!! I'm coming, I'm coming!" 

Luhan patted the back of his brothers head and his hair where it met the back of his neck as he entered the apartment and with that slight of touch, Sehun's flames died out and his lips formed a smile.  

                "Hyung," Sehun placed the groceries on the counter and turned to Luhan. "What movie are you two watching?"  

Luhan strutted over to the couch and flopped down next to Minseok. 

                "Ummm...Even in Death." 

                "Come, watch it with us!" Minseok interrupted. Luhan gave him a sharp look. 

                "...Hyung..?" 

                "...Come on, I don't mind." 

 

As they watched the  movie, Sehun kept his eyes on them instead of the screen. The room was dark to set the mood. The curtains closed. The lights were off. Minseok's hand slid towards Luhan's. Hesitation fled his mind as he glanced at his brother, noticing he was being watched, making him pull his hand back and away from him. Minseok pouted, yawned and then sighed as the characters on screen shouted at one another. Leaning his head on Luhan's shoulder, causing him to jerk away. Sehun witnessed it all, leading to a rising of a discomfort in his heart. Having enough, he finally looked away and tried absorbing himself in the movie.  

 

As night arose and Minseok was long gone, the two brothers lied in their twin beds. Sehun laid facing the wall, face turned from Luhan. There was no TV to break the odd silence that filled the 7 foot space between their beds. All that was there was the empty sound of Sehun's heartbeat and the soundless frantic Luhan across the room. 

                "Sehun..." 

Sehun sighed and turned around, his face wiped free of emotion. His skin seemed to be paler than average. "Hmm?" he weakly replied. 

"About earlier..." Luhan started. He swallowed hard and became fidgety. "Minseok and I...we-" 

                "Dating?"  

                "No no no!" He protested. "It's not like that at all!" Eyes widened further than ever before, he continued. "He really likes me..." 

                "That's more than obvious." Sehun kept his focus on a loose thread on his quilt, twirling it around his finger over and over again.  
                "I don't like him though...okay? But don't tell mom and dad...they'd freak." 
                "Why don't you?" 
                "Huh?" 
He stopped twirling. "Why don't you like him?" 

Luhan let out a small chuckle. "Because...I'm not into him? Hahaha.." Luhan jumped up from his bed and flew over to his brothers side, making Sehun turn in his bed back towards the wall, avoiding eye contact. "Awww...are you jealous?" 

                "No!" he said a little too quickly. 

Luhan playfully shook his brother's shoulder. "I can make him like you if you want!" He teased. "I like someone else anyway..." 

Sehun refused to turn around but asked, "Who?" 

Leaning in, closer to his ear, he whispered, "It's a secret." Then ran off back to his side of the room. "But honestly..." his playful voice died down. "I do...but it'd never work out...so I'd rather not say." 

There silence was again, filling their ears. He waited for Sehun's response but got nothing in return. He sighed and said, "Goodnight Sehun" as he buried himself under the covers. 
                "Night, Hyung..." Sehun whispered. "I love you..."