A Bookish Coincidence

Not So Bad

chapter 2
a bookish coincidence

***

Mei hissed and bared her teeth at Inyae who was apologizing profusely, bowing slightly as she let her cat in before it snows. Once Mei tilted her nose up high and strutted to the second floor, Inyae let out a sigh. Now she had an angry cat on her. Way to brighten things up. She shrugged off her navy blue coat, hanging it on one of the stands as she dropped her backpack on the floor beside it, not really caring if any papers get wrinkled. She shuffled forwards, ready to just lay in bed and try to forget the trip tomorrow when she passed by the kitchen area, seeing the familiar white paper with her school emblem on it.

Oh no, not the letter! Inyae thought savagely, her eyes widening as her fingers automatically formed into claws in front of her. She must’ve look like a furious Mei right then and there because when her brother walked in with a juice box in one hand and a book in the other, he squealed – the juice box flying out of his hand.

“Merciful- Inyae! What the heck are you doing in that position?! You scared the living daylights out of me!” Her brother, Kang Jongin (yes, he shares the name with Kim Jongin), scolded her. He shot a look at her way as Inyae pointed at the letter sprawled on the counter.

“That! Check that and tell me I’m crazy!” Inyae huffed, crossing her arms over her chest in defiance. Jongin rolled his eyes and checked the paper, his eyes scanning through the contents thoroughly. After a few moments or so, he put down the paper and leaned on the counter, staring evenly at his sister as Inyae stared back.

“You’re crazy.”

“Jongin!”

“Well, it’s just a school letter about your school trip! I don’t see anything abnormal about it,” Jongin defended exasperatedly, though a playful smile played on his lips. Inyae pouted, almost cutely if she were cute.

“But oppa, I don’t want to go!” Inyae whined like a child, stomping her foot on the mahogany floor. She knew, to her own ears, that she was acting very immature, but she couldn’t help it. She really didn’t want to go to that school trip. She was going to graduate and move to a college that is far away from here, so why bother getting to know her classmates when they will just say goodbye in the end?

Inyae’s goal was to stay away from emotional and physical contact with her classmates. For four years, she has managed it. She was ready to leave without any tears or regrets. But then the school trip happened, destined to bring them closer than ever.

Inyae didn’t want that, and she never will.

Jongin rolled his eyes and went over to his little sister, flicking her forehead. She winced considerably, unused to the painful contact. She brought her hand up to rub the spot he flicked before looking up to her brother. They looked alike, but they weren’t alike at the same time. Her brother loved reading inspirational books and drinking banana milk. As for her, she would love to have a cup of coffee and a book that has fiction contents. Her brother was highly respected in high school, and now in college. But Inyae? Was a wallflower and will stay like that for as long as she can. Jongin then ruffled his sister’s hair affectionately, which Inyae smiled at. She could count on Jongin’s small but meaningful gestures to cheer her right up. That’s why her brother was one of the people she loved truly.

“Hey, look at me. It’s going to be fun. It’s your last year, Yae. You can at least go and enjoy as much as possible. You wouldn’t see them anymore, so that’s a plus on your part right? Just go and have fun. I know you can. You’re Kang Inyae.” Jongin half smiled and tucked a strand behind her ear before leaving her standing, going upstairs to his room. Inyae sighed and looked down at her worn shoes, wiggling them a little. Her brother was right as always.

Maybe it wouldn’t be too bad, right? Maybe she would miss them when they graduated.

Inyae shook her head, her hands clenched into fists.

Four years of not being noticed by them has hardened her heart. One week couldn’t change her.

***

“KIM JONG-IN!”

“Shut up,” Jongin muttered as he continued to read the current book he was reading. It was City of Bones, a book that he just picked up by walking by a newly opened bookshop that was near their house. Why ‘their’? Because he isn’t the only one living in one house.

The door banged open, showing Luhan, his elder. He had an apron on and a cute pink cat headband that Jongin recognized. Jongin smirked, turning his head a little to look at his hyung, since he was laying on his back. He put the open book on his stomach, blinking innocently at Luhan.

“You called?”

“It’s dinner time! Well – nearly. Xiumin ate all the cheese buns, so now D.O is mad that he had to make more. Go down in fifteen minutes. Kris is settling the ruckus.” And with that, Luhan closed the door with a bang, shouting following after and a thunder of footsteps. Jongin chuckled and picked his book up again, eagerly to start a new chapter when his phone rang, the ringtone of his girlfriend’s voice saying, “I love you!” echoing throughout the room.

Jongin smiled and picked up his phone beside him, City of Bones falling carelessly on the floor beside the bed.

***

Inyae picked up City of Bones from the floor beside her bed, flipping to the page she stopped reading and started reading again. She loved the series once she saw the summary at a nearby bookshop. She was eager to get the second book, since she’s nearly finished with the first book. Inyae smiled, laughed and glared at parts that she was angry at. Books brought emotions out from her that people never could.

She read for a while, finally finishing the book that she has always wanted to finish. Inyae groaned and rolled on one side of her messy bed, putting the book down on the floor again before glancing at her alarm clock that was at her bedside table. It was only six in the evening, and light was still pouring through her window.

“Hm, night must be coming later. I can still go out and get the second book…” Inyae pondered for awhile before finally making up her mind. She got up and went downstairs, passing by Jongin who was coming up the stairs with another juice box in hand. He looked at his sister worriedly.

“Where are you going, sis?”

“Nearby bookshop. Going to buy a book,” Inyae answered shortly as she slipped in her loose and worn rubber shoes. Not waiting for her brother’s reply, she went to her bag that was still by the door, rummaging till she found her brown wallet. She grabbed her navy blue coat and dashed out the door.

***

After an hour of talking to Samantha, Jongin’s girlfriend, and reading for another hour, he finally finished City of Bones. He yawned, rubbing his eye sleepily as he let the book slide down on the floor. He checked his watch that was a gift from his hyung, D.O, whose real name was Kyungsoo. It was still six, and he had time to roam around before Xiumin, whose real name was Minseok, checked attendance if all twelve of them were still there. Jongin shrugged and stood up from his bed, grabbing his black wallet that was on the bedside table, stepping out of his room to see Chanyeol walk out of his. Jongin blinked in surprise.

Normally, Chanyeol would stay in his room with Baekhyun and talk about comics and superheroes.

“Hyung? What are you doing – well, you know, out in the open?” Jongin asked teasingly, earning a small glare from the elder.

“Baekhyun kicked me out. Said he was jealous that I favoured Batman over him. Where are you going?” Chanyeol asked, eyeing Jongin’s wallet and jacket that was already on him.

“Bookshop. It’s nearby, you don’t have to worry hyung.”

“Wasn’t going to. Well, I’m camping out in your room. Dinner’s soon, okay? Don’t miss it.” And with that, Jongin dismissed himself and rushed downstairs, passing by the living room and out the door.

***

Inyae reached the bookshop fairly quickly, sniffing the scent that lingered in the air. She looked around the small bookshop that was cluttered in books. There were even books on the floor. She wandered her way in, bowing in greeting to the old lady that ran the shop. She went here since she started her high school years. She liked how she was the only one who knew the place. It was a new bookshop, just four years ago, and was in between a department store and a comics store. That’s why it went unnoticed. But Inyae noticed it, and she was glad she did.

Her feet found her favourite section, the young adult. Narnia, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, etc. you name it, this section had it. It was the largest section in the bookshop, so it wasn’t difficult to find. She went towards the bestsellers section, her eyes scanning the titles to find City of Ashes. She started from the right side of the table, skimming title over title until she finally found the book she wanted.

“Aha!” She and another voice chorused as both of them reached for the book.