School Trip

Not So Bad

chapter 1
school trip

***

Kang In Yae wondered what would it take to shut her teacher’s mouth up.

She groaned for the umpteenth time that day, her chin resting on her palm as her fingers drummed her cheek in boredom, her elbow aching from staying in that position for too long. Inyae’s eyes barely swept the room to know that everyone wasn’t as unexcited as her. Her classmates were buzzing with chatter as the teacher spoke in a loud and droning voice.

It took Inyae’s willpower to not fall asleep in class, just like in every other class. Inyae’s jaw hardened as the chatter of her insistent classmates grew louder. She wanted to get out of there before she would either sleep or punch someone to keep quiet.

“I know you all are very excited for the school trip! Us teachers too are excited! Our goal is to make this school trip enjoyable and also educational! Imagine, the lush green woods ready for us to hike in!” Ms. Park exclaimed loudly and excitedly, making Inyae’s classmates chirp back with happy comments. Only Inyae was the one who didn’t respond, which was fine by her because she was seated in the back of her class.

She didn’t care about the school trip, or her classmates, or her school. She just wanted to graduate her senior year, get a job and finally live the life she wanted to live.

Not waking up every day to – well – this.

Inyae rolled her eyes and shifted her position – her elbow was killing her. She crossed her arms over her chest and watched the teacher while resisting the urge to put on her headphones and drown the world out.

“Alright, settle down, settle down. Our school trip is tomorrow, and we have sent letters to your parents and guardians saying that you can only refuse to go if it’s an urgent matter. But I’m sure you all want to spend one week with your friends and teachers before you graduate, right?”

Wrong, Inyae thought, blowing the annoying bangs that has covered her sight.

“And I’ve also sent a list of what to bring to your parents and guardians, so you won’t forget anything. Remember, we have an assignment when we get there! Record at least ten types of trees and flowers with it’s definition and uses. To be passed the week after our school trip. Class dismissed!”

Inyae, barely listening to what Ms. Park was saying, bolted right out of her seat, her backpack already banging against her spine. She was so ready to get out of the school! She wanted to lay in her soft, comfy bed, reading adventure books by her favourite author, take her Persian cat Mei for a walk and-

“Ow! Watch where you’re going - oh it’s you.”

Inyae was too busy rubbing her forehead to notice that someone was talking to her. As usual – putting herself first before others.

“Ah, this hurts,” Inyae groaned, patting the aching spot on her forehead. She finally squinted and looked up, the light momentarily blocking her vision, but soon cleared when she widened her eyes. She couldn’t believe she was talking to him. To him of all people. Her mood soured immediately, her lips set into a scowl. Now, she hated going to the trip more than ever.

“Yeah, it’s me. Now shove off,” Inyae muttered angrily, purposefully bumping against his shoulders to walk past him, exiting the front doors. She was still fuming with anger once she got to her house that she didn’t notice she stepped on Mei’s tail. Inyae sighed as she fumbled with the keys in her hand.

“Stupid Kim Jongin.”