The Notebook

Umma's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

On the porch overlooking the vast garden and fishpond of the Hwang’s residence, Jessica sat on the rocking chair next to Tiffany, a small

table between them. They were each holding onto a cup of tea as they casually chatted. They have a lot of catching up to do, as Tiffany put it.

Also, the open view ahead of them provided them the sight of their daughters playing near the pond.

 

“You know, our kids are really close to each other. Seohyun has a tendency to be restrained with her other friends, but with Yoona…she’s

so carefree.”

 

Jessica smiled and took a sip of tea. Her daughter was a vivacious and bright child. Sometimes, she wondered where the child’s overly

energetic persona stemmed from. Was it from the chocolates I always sent?

 

“Tiff, they’re best friends, of course she’ll be different around with Yoona.”

 

“I know that, Jessi. But even with Taeng and I, there were times that Seohyun’s a bit restrained. It highly amuses me that Yoona has such a

profound effect on her.”

 

Both chuckled. Indeed, it was amazing to see Seohyun loosening up whenever she’s with Yoona.

 

“Uhmm… How are you and Yuri, by the way?”

 

Jessica’s smile fell instantly at the mention of her husband.

 

Tiffany mentally cursed herself, feeling guilty. “Looking at you now, I presume that things aren’t going so well?”

 

Jessica shook her head and lowered her gaze to her tea. “I’m holding on, Tiff. I really am… but sometimes I-I just–”

 

“Umma!”

 

Yoona’s bellow unintentionally cut off Jessica, whose anguish was replaced with confusion.

 

The two mothers set their cup of tea onto the table, wondering what the shrill call was all about.

 

Hand to hand, the children sprinted towards their mother. However, Jessica noticed something odd. Her daughter’s left arm was raised in an

awkward position.

 

It wasn’t until the children were in front of them that the two mothers were able to visibly see their daughter’s faces, which, they noted, were

contorted into a frown.

 

Seohyun unclasped her hand from Yoona’s and went straight to her mother, who immediately tended to the little girl.

 

Jessica grew very concerned, eyeing her child’s left arm. “What’s wrong, sweetie?”

 

Yoona stretched out her left arm, showing a small scratch on the skin of her inner forearm. “Umma, look… I got a boo-boo.”

 

Jessica bit her lip to repress a smile from forming. “Does it hurt?”

 

“A lil’ bit.” Yoona pouted her lower lip.

 

“Oh, sweetie, come to umma.” Jessica hoisted her daughter up on to her lap.

 

“Can you kiss Yoongie’s boo-boo and make it all better?” Yoona asked with a hopeful look on her.

 

Jessica’s lips curved up into a smile. How could one ever say no to that large doe eyes and adorable pout? “Of course!”

 

Yoona giggled for a moment at the sensation of her mother’s lips brushing against her skin, before squealing when Jessica planted a huge kiss.

 

“How did you get it, anyway, Yoong?” Tiffany asked, gently rocking her daughter sitting on her lap from side to side.

 

The question rendered little Yoona speechless, her cheeks flushed. It was as if she got caught red-handed trying to steal from the cookie jar.

 

Having had seen her best friend’s expression, Seohyun explained it for her, “Umma, Yoongie was trying to make Barbie and Ken kiss, but

Barbie’s hand scratched her arm.”

 

As an understanding child she was and to not cause further embarrassment to her best friend, Seohyun chose to omit the scene where she tried

in vain to persuade Yoona to stop forcing the two dolls to kiss. From what she heard, Barbie was complaining that Ken stinks.

 

Yoona fidgeted on Jessica’s lap, which had not gone unnoticed by her mother.

 

Jessica her daughter’s hair in an attempt to ease the child’s apparent discomfort. “But umma made the boo-boo go away, right?”

 

Yoona nodded vigorously and gave her mother a blinding grin.

 

“What about you,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter