Heartstrings

⚜ Heartstrings

 

The first time Chanyeol met Baekhyun. His heart stopped. Not because Baekhyun was charming, or because he was funny, or because of his bright smile. No. It was because, the first time they met, Baekhyun was throwing up blood.

 

-

 

Chanyeol was tired of being cooped up in the ugly hospital room all the time. He wanted to go home. He didn't like it there. All the walls and the floors were completely white. There were no colors and energy. He felt like a caged bird. He felt like he was being kept trapped inside an insane asylum where people were sent to be abandoned and left behind. Even though the truth was that he was being kept inside the hospital because his parents loved him too dearly and didn't want another scratch on him after his car accident.

                He sighed and glanced out the window into the beautiful scenery of a sunny and peaceful day in the hospital courtyard. The green grass looked soft and inviting and the green leaves on the trees fluttered gently in the wind. Chanyeol felt a shiver creep up his arms before he sighed and pulled the thin hospital bed sheet off of him. The sun was radiating warmth outside and he'd be a fool to stay inside and freeze himself into a block of ice from the intense air conditioning of the hospital.

                Chanyeol got his feet out of bed and slipped into a pair of slippers beside the bed. Then he straightened up before grabbing his guitar off the chair beside him. He pulled the strap over his shoulder and headed out of the cold and lonesome room to find his way out to the empty courtyard where the sunshine awaited him. As he walked through the halls, he kept his head up high even as he saw the nurses whispering about him. He ignored them and anyone who gave him a weird look.

                He didn't belong here. He already knew that. To them, his condition was nothing compared to the other patients, but how would they understand the pain and agony that he felt? Chanyeol followed the pathway over to the center of the courtyard and sat down onto a bench beside the large maple. He avoided the shaded side of the bench and sat where the sunlight could touch him, because he wanted to feel the warmth. To remind himself to stay strong as he pulled his guitar around into his arms and placed his fingers upon the old and worn fret bars.

                Staring at the old and worn out instrument, he took a deep breath and strummed his fingers against the six strings. No sound reached his ears, but he felt the vibrations in his fingers. They pulsed through his veins and straight into his heart and even though he could no longer hear the beauty of the song as he played, he felt it. Chanyeol played his favorite song over and over again, letting the vibrations from the guitar take over his body to remind him why he was alive. Music.

                He lost a sense of time. He continued to play even after his finger tips went numb and even after his hands cramped up from no rest. He refused to stop and it wasn't until when his high E string suddenly snapped that he finally stopped. Chanyeol gasped out in pain and jerked his left hand away when the acoustic string whipped back with such force that it cut his finger. He gasped and got up from his seat when he saw the blood slowly seeping out from the cut. He wiped the blood onto the hospital clothes carelessly and gripped his guitar by the neck as he began to head back. Chanyeol headed the same way he had came and he was minding his own business when out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a hunched figure on the ground. Chanyeol turned his head before dropping his guitar.

                His eyes widened and he felt his heart lurch and come to a stop as he spotted the blood on the ground first. The boy was on his hands and knees and he continued puking. Chanyeol remembered his lips moving, but he couldn't remember if he was shouting for help or if he was just shouting out loud from surprise. All he knew, was that as he rushed to the small boy's side, he saw nurses rushing out into the courtyard from the other side.

                "Hey! You're going to be okay! All right! You're going to be okay!" Chanyeol thought out loud. He couldn't hear himself say it to the boy, but he hoped that the boy heard it at least as he placed a hand onto the other's back. The guy's body shook as he stopped vomiting and nodded shakily as the nurses reached them and quickly surrounded the boy. He tried to help, but no one would let him. He saw their mouths moving and their angry faces, but didn't understand until one of the nurses grabbed his arm and dragged him back inside. Chanyeol was sent back to his room like a child and it angered him, but he couldn't do anything.

 

-

 

                Chanyeol sat in the uncomfortable hospital bed with his guitar that he was finally able to go fetch after a couple hours of waiting inside. It was a good thing that he had his guitar case with him, because in his case, he had a pack of strings, so he was able to replace his E string. He pulled out a pen and a messy notebook where he composed his songs. It didn't matter that he couldn't hear, he was still going to compose even if he might never be able to ever hear again later in his life.

                He plucked the strings for a minute a or two when the door was abruptly shoved open and a pale boy with messy brown hair walked in. Chanyeol stopped and looked up in surprise when the boy spoke to him. His mouth moved crazily and Chanyeol took a deep breath before interrupting him, "I'm sorry, but I can't hear you." The boy's lips stopped moving instantly and a confused look fell upon his baby face.

                "Here." Chanyeol grabbed the notebook and pen and held it out to the boy, "I was in a car accident about two weeks ago. When the airbag made impact with my head, the force and the pressure caused both of my eardrums to tear. So I'm completely deaf as of now." Judging by the look on the younger guy's face, he was sure that he explained correctly even though he couldn't hear himself say it out loud. The boy slowly walked over and took the book and pen to write in it.

                Hi, my name is Baekhyun. He showed Chanyeol the messaged and flashed a wide grin.

                "I'm Chanyeol." Chanyeol returned the grin, surprised by Baekhyun's reaction to his story.

                I came to thank you for helping me earlier. Chanyeol's eyes widened and Baekhyun started speaking when he quickly realized and quickly added, Sorry that you had to see me like that! Chanyeol shook his head, "Ah, don't apologize. Are you all right now?" Baekhyun paused and then nodded with another smile. Chanyeol didn't buy it though and stayed silent, biting onto his bottom lip because he was afraid he'd ask something brash if he didn't.

                You play guitar beautifully. Baekhyun wrote swiftly and smiled again.

                "Thanks...I'm glad it sounds good." Chanyeol felt a strike of jealousy hit him, wishing that he could hear again with all his might. The doctors had told him that he'd have to wait and let his ear drums heal. They said that it could take from weeks to months. They had given Chanyeol hope, until his parents explained to him the other day that the doctors had told them that his eardrums weren't healing. Baekhyun frowned and scribbled, What's wrong?

                "It's nothing." Chanyeol forced a smile and slowly reached out to take his things back, hoping that Baekhyun would get the message and leave him so that he could sulk alone. Baekhyun stared back at Chanyeol for a long moment and then nodded lightly leaving the room and shutting the door behind him. Watching him leave made Chanyeol feel a twist of guilt in his guts, but he didn't want this boy to see this side of him when they had just met. In any normal scenario, if he had his hearing, Chanyeol would have been the complete opposite. He'd be talking nonstop with this kid and he'd tried to become friends right away, but...this wasn't a normal scenario. He was deaf and the fact that he was never going to be able to hear again killed him inside.

                Yet, Chanyeol flipped the piece of paper that Baekhyun had written on over and jotted down chords and tabs and continued to create music. It didn't matter, because music was all that he needed to keep himself sane. He could still feel the music and that was enough. As long as he could feel the vibration of the strings, it was enough to keep his heart from breaking.

 

-

 

A few days had gone by and Chanyeol found himself outside in the courtyard again, playing the guitar to his heart's content. It wasn't until he got up to leave that he had spotted a certain little brown haired boy sitting on the bench not too far from him. Baekhyun had been watching Chanyeol the whole time and when he caught Chanyeol's eyes and his face turned red before he quickly looked away. He pretended to be paying attention to something else when Chanyeol surprised him.

                "I'm sorry." Chanyeol held out his notebook and his pen for Baekhyun to take as he sighed, "Ever since I've lost my hearing, I haven't really been able to talk with anyone. I didn't mean to be rude." Chanyeol felt his heart squeeze lightly when Baekhyun eyed his offer and then looked back up to him with bright eyes. Baekhyun excitedly took the pen and paper and jotted down, It's all right! Don't be sorry! I understand!

                "Ah...all right then." Chanyeol hesitated, unsure of what to do next when Baekhyun wrote, Sit with me! Let's talk, chingu! Baekhyun grinned back up at Chanyeol while cracking a big grin before Chanyeol nodded and joined him.

                "I'm sorry. It'll probably just be me talking since you have to write everything out for me to read." Chanyeol scratched the back of his head, feeling bad when Baekhyun shook his head and Chanyeol watched his lips move. Baekhyun spoke out loud as he wrote, Communication does not always have to be heard. But if it'd make you feel better, I'll speak and write as well. Then he smiled and drew a large smiley face on the page.

 

-

 

                The rain pattered against the window and Chanyeol stopped playing his guitar as Baekhyun lifted the notebook while asking, Why do you still play even though you can't hear it? Chanyeol shrugged as a small half smile made its way onto his lips. He had stopped counting the days that they've spent together. It was only normal for him to find Baekhyun in his room all the time now.

                He didn't mind it though. He liked talking with Baekhyun. At first, he used Baekhyun's presence as an excuse to distract him from the actual fact that he was lonely, but eventually he accepted the other guy as a friend. Baekhyun arched a brow and waited patiently for the answer until Chanyeol sighed softly, "All right, all right. I'll tell you...but you're going to think it's weird." The shorter boy shook his head and his eyes sparkled with curiosity as Chanyeol turned his attention away from Baekhyun and to his guitar.

                With down casted eyes, he chuckled softly, "You said that communication doesn't always have to be heard. Well, it's the same with music. I may not be able to hear anything I play...but I feel it." He slowly placed a palm against his chest over his heart as he added gently, "In here." Baekhyun stared with wide eyes and stayed completely still while Chanyeol laughed lightly, "Agh, I know it sounds corny, but it's true. Every string I pluck...goes straight to my heart. I can't hear it, but I feel the vibrations and that's enough to keep me happy."

                Play some more! Baekhyun's eyes became crescents as he laughed and Chanyeol felt his heart jump a little before nodding and playing again. And with each string he plucked, he felt his heart beat a little faster. He looked back up to Baekhyun who was swaying slowly from side to side to the music and wished. He wished he could hear again as he had been doing for the past week or two, but this time, for a different reason. He wished that he could hear, not the music, but Baekhyun's voice.

                Yeol? Baekhyun held up the paper and he stopped playing to hum, "Hm?"

                Can I give it a try? He laughed sheepishly and Chanyeol saw the way his ears turned slightly red from nervousness as he pointed a slender finger at the guitar. Chanyeol chuckled and nodded as he handed Baekhyun his guitar. The boy grinned and excitedly, but carefully, took the guitar into his arms and mimicked the way that he had seen Chanyeol play so many times before. He stared at the fret for a long moment and Chanyeol's brow arched in amusement when he saw Baekhyun place his fingers in a correct C major chord position.

                Baekhyun began to pluck the strings and play more chords while Chanyeol watched in awe. Baekhyun's lips moved and his eyes closed as he sang. Chanyeol watched silently, unsure how to respond or what to do. When Baekhyun surprised him and reached out to grab his hand. He tugged on the taller man's hand and pulled him forwards, placing his hand against the guitar. Chanyeol's eyes widened as Baekhyun flashed him a smile and began playing again. Chanyeol pressed his palm against the guitar and stared in awe. The vibration was completely different from how he played it. Baekhyun's plucking was more gentle and slower than his way. It had a delicate and simple feel to it. There were no complications and Chanyeol yearned to hear the beauty that he felt.

 

                If his heart had strings, Baekhyun was the one plucking them.

 

-

 

                "I didn't know that you were a singer." Chanyeol brought it up casually as the two of them laid outside on the soft grass in the empty courtyard. A couple days has passed since the last and first time that he had discovered that Baekhyun liked to sing. He had waited for Baekhyun to play and sing again for him, but the shorter boy never did.

                Singing is everything to me. Baekhyun showed him.

                "Then how come I never see you do it?" The question slipped from his lips before Chanyeol remembered how he had met Baekhyun for the first time. He instantly regretted it and swiftly apologized, "Never mind. I'm sorry." He figured that something was probably wrong with Baekhyun's throat and as much as he wanted to know, he didn't want to make Baekhyun uncomfortable. Baekhyun shifted and sat up before scribbling onto his paper and laughing, What? Why are you apologizing, idiot Yeol? I'll tell you if you want to know.

                "Ah...okay then." Chanyeol shifted into a sitting position as well and turned to face Baekhyun as he asked slowly, "You..were throwing up blood when I first met you, so is it because of that?" Baekhyun paused for a long moment before smiling tenderly as he nodded and wrote, Yeah. Sure. You can say that. Chanyeol scratched the back of his head, unsure how to respond. There was a long silence before Chanyeol asked the question that had been on his mind ever since their first meeting, "You're...You're going to be okay, right?" He looked down to avoid Baekhyun's eyes and started to tugged on the grass.

                Baekhyun didn't move for a long time, but surprised Chanyeol when he suddenly pulled some grass out and threw it at Chanyeol like confetti. The taller boy gasped and looked up in shock before seeing Baekhyun's laughing face. Chanyeol's first reaction was to throw grass back at Baekhyun and he did! Or at least, he tried to. Baekhyun was actually quite fast on his feet and dodged before running away. And without realizing that he had never received his answer, Chanyeol got up and immediately started chasing Baekhyun in a game of cat and mouse.

                While unknown to him, before the grass attack, Baekhyun had scribbled shakily onto the note book piece of paper, You told me that I was going to be all right when you found me and I believe in your words. I'll be all right.

 

-

 

                Chanyeol laid in his bed and waited. He waited for Baekhyun's arrival. He sighed and played with his guitar, wondering why today was taking longer than usual. He glanced at the clock on the wall and remembered how Baekhyun was doing. He was starting to worry. Baekhyun and he had to stop their chasing game last time because midway through, Baekhyun started getting clutching his right side as if he was in pain. And even though, he reassured Chanyeol that he was just out of breath and trying to catch it, Chanyeol saw the pain in his eyes. He wanted to say something, but Baekhyun kept smiling and telling him that everything was okay.

                Chanyeol even offered to take him back to his room, but Baekhyun firmly said no. He said that his room wasn't too far and that he'd go back by himself because he was fine. Seeing how strongly Baekhyun objected the idea of help, Chanyeol could only shrug back and let him return on his own. He stopped playing when he saw the door open. His heart lurched excitedly, but dropped when he saw the familiar faces of his parents instead of Baekhyun.

                They pulled him into hugs and gave him wet kisses on the cheeks before he finally pushed them away and asked what was going on. His mother burst into tears and explained to him how they had found doctors who were willing to perform surgery on his ears to help him hear again.

 

-

 

                "Where were you last time? I have great news to tell you!" Chanyeol gushed as soon as he saw Baekhyun saunter into his room. His smile immediately faded though as soon as he saw how pale and tired Baekhyun looked. The shorter boy noticed the change instantly and pulled on a huge smile as he abruptly picked up his pace and scurried over to climb up onto the end of Chanyeol's bed like he always did.

                For the slightest moment, Chanyeol saw Baekhyun sway to the side after he sat down, almost as if he was about to fall over. He felt concern rise in the pit of his stomach when Baekhyun recovered quickly and took his book and pen to write out, Ah, I'm sorry! I had a check up and that's why I couldn't make it! What happened when I was gone?  Chanyeol continued to eye Baekhyun without answering.

                I'm fine, Yeol. I just moved too fast and got a little dizzy. Don't worry! Baekhyun wrote out with a smiley face when he finally caught onto the other male's concern. Chanyeol didn't respond until Baekhyun flashed him a gigantic smile. The uneasiness inside of Chanyeol's stomach melted as soon as he saw Baekhyun's smile before he chuckled.

                "My parents are taking me overseas to get surgery done on my ears so that I can hear again." Chanyeol beamed excitedly, but to his surprise, Baekhyun's smile faded. Chanyeol blinked, but it was as if Baekhyun's smile never disappeared. Baekhyun laughed as he wrote, That's great! When are you guys leaving?

                "We will be leaving in a couple days, but I'll be back by next week." Chanyeol chuckled lightly, wondering why the energy with Baekhyun felt so different than before. Yet, Baekhyun continued to smile and laugh, celebrating the good news, so he thought that maybe he was over thinking.

 

-

 

The countdown of the days began and as excited as Chanyeol was, he couldn't get rid of the darkness that he felt in his heart. Something bothered him, but he couldn't tell what. All he knew was that he constantly felt anxious and unease. Chanyeol felt like each passing day was like the ticking of a bomb.

               Baekhyun  had noticed the difference too and tried to lighten up his mood by taking his guitar and playing it for him. Baekhyun took Chanyeol's hand and placed it against the guitar and plucked the strings, singing again to keep the good atmosphere in the room. Chanyeol watched Baekhyun sing and couldn't help, but smile as his senses calmed down again.

                The way Baekhyun closed his eyes when he sang. The way his nose scrunched lightly from time to time when he must have been hitting the higher notes. The way that his veins jutted out from his neck when he must have sang louder. Chanyeol loved it all. Baekhyun rarely sang for him before, but after announcing the news about his surgery, Baekhyun has been singing for him every day. Every day, Baekhyun played a little softer. He became less livelier through his words and more through his actions.

                Baekhyun didn't write as much anymore. At first, he would just curl up at the end of Chanyeol's bed and listen to Chanyeol play guitar for hours. Sometimes he even fell asleep. But now, he was the one playing and singing for Chanyeol and even though he couldn't hear it, he saw enough to feel the beauty. At least, he did so through the vibrations that he felt through the guitar whenever Baekhyun plucked or strummed.

                "Baek." He sighed before Baekhyun stopped playing and turned to face him and raised a brow, "Can I touch your voice?" Chanyeol knew that his question must have sounded stupid, but Baekhyun only smiled at him. Then as if Chanyeol had never asked, Baekhyun continued to play the guitar and Chanyeol only pulled his hand away, embarrassed.

                What was he thinking? Asking such a weird question? Chanyeol mentally slapped himself and  inwardly grunted, ashamed for even trying when Baekhyun stopped playing guitar and reached out to grab his hand again. Chanyeol felt his heart thud against his ribcage as Baekhyun placed his hand against the side of his neck and started singing. It was at that moment that Chanyeol finally understood and appreciated the true beauty of music.

                Baekhyun had tugged on his heartstrings.

 

-

 

                "Here, take this. When you see this number. It's me, calling you, okay?" Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun's hand and placed the cell phone into his palm. Baekhyun looked up surprised before Chanyeol grinned sheepishly, "After my surgery is done. I'll call you." Baekhyun nodded and smiled meekly as Chanyeol grabbed his guitar when Baekhyun stopped him.

                Can you leave your guitar for me? Baekhyun swiftly scribbled out for him to read. Chanyeol was about to say yes when Baekhyun wrote out more, So that I won't be so lonely when you're gone.

                His heart clenched in his chest as he looked back to Baekhyun and realized that for the first time in weeks, they were going to really separate from each other. How had he not noticed that before? He had been too selfish and too caught up with the thought about getting his hearing back that he had completely forgot that Baekhyun was going to be left behind. Chanyeol  quickly nodded and handed the shorter boy his instrument. Baekhyun took it and clutched onto it tightly before smiling back at Chanyeol.

                The door opened and the two of them glanced back to see Chanyeol's mother beckoning her son to hurry before Chanyeol nodded and she left. Then he turned back to face Baekhyun before eyes widened while Baekhyun quickly looked down and away from him, swiftly rubbing his eyes as his shoulders shook. Chanyeol saw Baekhyun's lips move, but couldn't hear anything as Baekhyun looked back up to him with a forced smile.

                "Baek, what did you say?" Chanyeol blinked in shock while Baekhyun shook his head and blinked away his tears, trying to stay strong. Chanyeol reached out and gently grasped his shoulder, repeating his question, "What did you say, Baekhyun? I'm not going to leave until you tell me." So Baekhyun, shakily placed his guitar to the side before jotting down, I'll miss you.

                "Yah, Pabo. I'll see you soon. It'd be like I never left." Chanyeol chuckled lightly, trying to lighten up the mood even though he had the same feelings as Baekhyun. He patted Baekhyun on the shoulder as Baekhyun sniffed and nodded, looking down again. Seeing the shorter boy shake so much, worried him. Chanyeol gently pulled Baekhyun into his arms and embraced him tightly as if to secure the fact that they will definitely see each other again.

                "I'll call you as soon as I awake, because the first thing I want to hear is your voice." Chanyeol muttered softly before feeling Baekhyun hug him back tightly. Baekhyun nodded into his chest before Chanyeol pulled back. This time, Baekhyun beamed back at him without thinking twice, he leaned in and stole a kiss.

                "When I get back, you better sing for me again." Then without waiting another word, Chanyeol left and never looked back.

 

-

 

                He made sure to check up on Baekhyun through texting. They continued to text each other as the days went by. Baekhyun said that he missed Chanyeol a lot. Chanyeol told Baekhyun to stay strong and that he'd be back in no time. He tells Baekhyun to wait for him, but the other boy never replies. Chanyeol brushes it off, sure that the boy probably fell asleep while texting again. Yet, when he tries texting again the next day, he still received no replies. At first, Chanyeol starts to worry, but later on in the day, his phone buzzed a reply with three simple words. I miss you.

                Chanyeol makes it very clear to everyone around him and all the doctors that they were to not speak to him after the surgery until he had made the phone call to Baekhyun. He even told everyone to wait outside once he awoke. He explained that he'd step out once he was done with the call and even though his request was selfish and crazy, he was able to convince them to agree.

 

The operation will begin soon.

 

                Chanyeol waited for a reply, but never received one. In the end, the nurses took the phone away from him before he had to go change and get ready for the surgery. How long before he will awake again? How will Baekhyun sound when he answers the call? When will he see Baekhyun again? Questions flooded his mind until the doctors placed a masked upon his face and he fell into a deep slumber.

 

-

 

                He didn't know when he awoke. The room was brightly lit and he was completely alone. At first, Chanyeol freaked out a little bit because it was so quiet. But he shifted and heard a soft rustle before gasping. His heart raced when he heard his own voice again and he felt a surge of excitement rush through his veins as his automatically reached up to touch his ears. He almost laughed out loud when he remembered Baekhyun. He swiftly glanced around him and spotted his cell phone on the table beside him. Reaching out, Chanyeol grabbed the phone and was just about to dial Baekhyun's number when he saw that there was a voicemail. Chanyeol realized that the voicemail was from none other than Baekhyun and quickly opened it before placing the phone to his ear. There was a beep and then someone took a deep and slow breath.

 

                Hi, Chanyeol. This is Baekhyun.

 

There was a soft sniff and then a shaky chuckle as Baekhyun sang jokingly,

 

                Congratulations on getting your hearing back! Congrats, congrats, congrats--

 

His voice cracked and there was another moment of silence before he took another breath and continued softly.

 

                Thank you for playing your guitar out in the courtyard that day when we first met. I didn't even know you, but when I heard the way you played, I felt as if I already knew you. You told your story through your music without singing a single word. Because of you, I was able to sing again.

 

There was another pause.

 

                I'm sorry I lied to you. I loved you too much to tell the truth.
 

 

-

 

                Chanyeol sat on the bench in silence in the courtyard with his guitar beside him. He didn't understand how it had happened so fast. Baekhyun was always so lively. Chanyeol refused to believe that Baekhyun had been dying before they've met. Because Baekhyun never said that he was sick.

 

The blood that he had vomited was just because of his throat problem.

The pain that he felt in his upper right abdomen was just because they were running around too much.

The way he almost fell over was just because he was moving too quick.

 

                Chanyeol never saw Baekhyun struggling with his health and Baekhyun was always assuring him that he was perfectly fine. Why? The question lingered over him like a dark cloud. Why? Why? Why? Why did Baekhyun lie?

                The doctors explained the truth that Baekhyun hid away to him. Baekhyun had Acute Liver Failure. They said that it was caused by a virus and that even though Baekhyun appeared as healthy as any other person did, he needed a liver transplant, fast. Their treatments weren't working on him. But because of the waiting list, there was no chance for Baekhyun from the start. He had been placed in the hospital to await his death.

                Chanyeol glanced down at his notebook and slowly flipped through the pages of all the things that Baekhyun had ever said to him. He flipped and flipped until he reached the blank empty pages of the book. Then he sighed and closed it before setting it aside and grabbed his guitar. Chanyeol was about to get up and leave, but changed his mind. Instead, he pulled his guitar into his arms and was going to play when he noticed the scrawled message in black ink looking back up at him.

 

                Every time you play, you're plucking my heartstrings.