Getting Closer Isn’t Easy

Jonghyun's Angel

 

“Oppa… Saranghae!”Angel’s face was blurred but her voice was clear. Jonghyun was startled. He was sitting on his bed, sweaty. He shook his head and looked at his table clock. It’s only 15 minutes past 7 in the morning. He stood and went straight to the bathroom. He washed his face and brushed his teeth. He was preparing to cook his breakfast when someone was pounding the door continuously.

“Wait! Stop that!”Jonghyun shouted knowing who the person was. He rushed to the door then hit the forehead of the person knocking. It was Key. “Are you here to ruin my breakfast?” Jonghyun asked arrogantly.

“Of course not, my dear. Are we not best of friends?” Key flashed his cutest smile.

“Oh that smile… what do you want?”Jonghyun scoffed.

“I have no food. Feed me. Please.”Key’s eyes was pleading.

“Oh that eyes… No way! You’re rich! Buy some food for yourself!” Jonghyun was about to close the door when he was pushed by Key.

“Thanks! You’re really my savior! You’re my best best best friend!!!” Key was already inside the room and heading towards the kitchen. “What are you cooking?” He asked while getting plates from the cupboard.

“Hey! That’s for me! There’s none for you! You’ve been like this since we moved here! I will not tolerate this anymore!”Jonghyun objected.

“Yah! You’re not yet used to me? You should have prepared something for me. We’ve been doing this for years now.”Key was already setting the table for two persons.

Jonghyun remained quiet while Key started to prepare milk for the both of them. When he was done, looked at the stove and found fried rice enough for two. “This is too much food for you. I knew you wouldn’t let me starve to death.” Key kicked Jonghyun’s who’s busy preparing the omelet.

“Is that how you say thanks to the person who takes care of you? Huh brat?”Jonghyun was concentrated in cooking the omelet.

“How do you want me to thanks you? AH! You want me to kiss you! right?? Right?? You’re gay dude! I won’t do that to you!”Key pretends to vomit.

“You’re humor ! You should replace all the food that you get here!”Jonghyun was still complaining while putting the omelet and the fried rice in front of them.

Key laughed at his pissed friend while eating Jonghyun’s breakfast. Key continued to tease Jonghyun while they are eating when someone knocked on the door. “What now?” Jonghyun muttered.

“Oppa!!! Jonghyun-oppa!”a familiar voice was calling.

Jonghyun was shocked. “Fan girl” he thought. Key stood and walked towards the door. He opened the door slowly and peeked. It was Angel. Key let her in and walked her towards the kitchen where Jonghyun was sitting.

“Do you live together?”Angel asked.

“As much as I want to, Jonghyun wouldn’t let me live with him.”Key joked.

“I wouldn’t want to live with a brat like you.”Jonghyun assured.

“You should live together. You look adorable together. You even have breakfast together just like couples.”Angel was giggling on her seat.

“By the way, what brings you here? It’s really early and you’re disturbing our peaceful breakfast?”Key complained.

“My peaceful breakfast was ruined by you idiot!”Jonghyun interrupted.

“I was jogging nearby and saw your building. I came to visit my boyfriend.” Angel answered.

“That’s so sweet of you. Have something to eat. Do you want some milk?” Jonghyun offered.

“No thanks. Are you going to practice with your band today?”Angel asked.

“No we’re not! Are you going to steal my boyfriend? I’m the original here.”Key said while clinging to Jonghyun’s arm.

“Don’t touch me! That’s why you’re single. You keep telling everyone that you my boyfriend! You’re really stupid.”Jonghyun pushed Key.

“You two are really funny. Your friendship is amusing. Would you mind if I hang out with you for a while? Do you have plans that don’t need a third person or plans that should only be doing by two persons?”Angel asked.

“I have to shop for groceries today.”Jonghyun said.

“Can I come with you?”Key and Angel asked simultaneously then glared at each other.

“You’re really stealing my boyfriend!”Key was imitating an angry girlfriend.

“Sorry, but you’re history. I’m the new girl now.”Angel replied boastfully.

“Stop that. Finish your food. If you don’t stop that noise, no one will come with me.”Jonghyun instructed.

“Yes sir!”The two raced to who will finish the food first.

After breakfast, Key washed the dishes. Angel sat quietly while watching a TV program and Jonghyun was preparing for a bath. When Angel heard the bathroom door close, she sneaked inside Jonghyun’s bedroom and sat in front of his study table observing his things and his messy bed. She noticed a violin on the floor beside the bed. She picked the violin wanting to put it into safety above the bed. When she turned around, she was surprised to see Jonghyun in front of her. Jonghyun was half- and wrapped with only a towel. Angel had a good view of Jonghyun’s body and when she realized it, she froze. Jonghyun ran back to the bathroom with his heart pounding so fast. He felt embarrassed. She was really playful I should have expected that, he thought. He stepped into the cold shower thinking that the ice-cold water would help him forget what happened earlier.

Angel ran outside Jonghyun’s bedroom and curled herself on the couch. She was pale when Key saw her.

“Are you okay? Are you still hungry?”Key was laughing at Angel’s pale face.

“No. I’m okay.”Angel’s answer was a bit disoriented.

“You should see my place. It’s cleaner there. Let’s leave Mr. Bastard here and let him tidy his room.”Key grabbed Angel’s arm. “Jonghyun! We’ll go to my apartment first! Just go there after you fix your things!” Key shouted while dragging Angel helplessly.

Key’s apartment was only two doors away. His apartment was bigger than Jonghyun’s since he is wealthier. Key threw Angel on the bean couch then he switched on the TV and flipped through the channels. He stopped at Lifestyle channel and tossed the remote control to Angel. She caught it and turned her attention to the program. She gasped when she saw a topless hunk walking on the runway then changed the channel. She decided watched Phineas and Ferb making Key laugh so hard. He stood then went to his room.

“Cheonsa! Don’t go into my room! You wouldn’t want to see me ! HAHA” Key teased.

“I thought you don’t know! AHHHH!!!!” Angel buried her face on a pillow and screamed.

“What? You’re embarrassed to see topless guys right? Just like how you reacted when you saw on TV.” Key’s eye widened.

“You mean the model on TV?” Angel said with a muffled voice.

“Yup! So don’t go in my room. I’ll take a bath! Plus, stop rubbing your face on my pillow; you’ll get the oil on your face stained there. Make yourself comfortable. There are chips on the cupboard and movies on the CD rack. Don’t be too messy okay?”Key stepped inside his room and closed the door.

Angel sighed then crawled towards the coffee table and saw some photo albums. She saw an album for the band and looked at the pictures. She was amused by how close the band members were. She got carried away by looking at the pictures. She did not notice that Key was all dressed and already sitting beside her.

“I look so good in that picture right?”Key said making Angel jumped from shock. The two laughed then Angel answered. “Nope! Minho-oppa looked the best here.”

Key asked Angel about her decision to be Jonghyun’s pseudo-girlfriend. The girl surprisingly confessed her feelings about Minho. She likes Minho because he was so cool on stage. She also added that she was fascinated by Minho’s mysterious personality. In the end of their sudden personal chitchat, Angel made Key promise not to tell anyone. “If you tell anybody about this, you’re dead!” Angel threatened Key with a tap on the boy’s forehead. Key asked fro Angel’s help with what to buy for his house and food for next week. It’s almost lunch time and the two were creating a “to buy” list when Jonghyun came.

“Oh you’re here already. We’re about to finish our list. Just wait okay?”Key said.

“I think we should eat outside for lunch.”Jonghyun suggested.

“What? You could just cook for us.”Key complained.

“No more food on the fridge because of you. Let’s eat outside. Your treat!”Jonghyun stated.

“Mm-kay.”Angel nodded.

“Brat. Why are you so quiet?”Key asked.

“I’m just hungry.”Angel said.

“What? After eating all my treasured chips? You’re still hungry? Okay fine. We’ll outside. This glutton here must be dying.”Key laughed.

“Let’s go shopping after eating.”Jonghyun added.

The three waited for a bus outside with Angel’s arm wrapped around Key’s arm. Key removed her arm and put it around Jonghyun’s arm instead. “I’m not the boyfriend here.” Key smiled. Inside the bus, Key made the two sad beside each other too. He noticed an awkward silence from the pretending couple. “Are you two worried? Do you really want to do this?”  He asked. The two nodded.

At the mall, Key pulled Angel inside a restaurant and made her sat in front of him. He put his bag on the chair beside him leaving the only empty chair beside Angel. Jonghyun followed them and sat beside Angel. A waitress approached them and gave them the menu.

“I’ll have a Porthouse steak with lemon iced tea.” Angel and Jonghyun said at the same time. The two looked at each other and laughed.

“What is with you two? You’re really acting weird today.”Key can’t help but to notice the sudden change in his friends’ attitude towards each other.

“Nothing.” Jonghyun said.

“okay.”Key uttered and turned to the waitress. “Give us 2 porthouse steaks, a Chicken Alfredo, 3 choco mint sundaes and lemon iced tea. Thanks.” Key ordered then winked at the lady.

“Can you not flirt with the waitress?”Jonghyun reprimanded.

“Are you being jealous?”Key teased.

“No I am not. You’ll have our orders wrong because she wasn’t concentrating on what you say but your face only. I am hungry!”Jonghyun explained.

“Oh, I’d rather have it as you are jealous.”Key laughed.

“You know Angel; He’s really like that whenever we eat outside. He keeps on flirting with the waitresses. In the end, the waitress no longer leaves us.”Jonghyun shared.

“You want to be alone with him?”Angel asked.

“You got me wrong there. What I mean is, I don’t want other people to watch me eat. It’s annoying.”Jonghyun cleared.

“He really wants to be alone with me. He is just afraid to admit it.”Key mocked Jonghyun then stood. “I am going to the restroom.”

“You fool. You’re going to flirt with the waitress. I know you!”Jonghyun said. He realized he was now alone with Angel.

“Oppa, I am sorry for entering your room a while ago.” Angel apologized.

“Don’t worry about that. I was too jumpy too.” Jonghyun said then smiled.

Key came together with the waitress and their food. Surprisingly, everything was correct. Jonghyun complimented the waitress for her good work. The girl blushed. They laughed then eat while chatting. They planned their after shopping activities. Key suggested that Angel and Jonghyun should go on a real date alone. Jonghyun suggested the amusement park that sent Angel to a cloud of excitement. Key hinted some of his jealousness because he can’t come because he is technically-single. “Should I call Taemin to come along with us just so I could go on a date with you?” Key pleaded.

“You’re the one who suggested this date? We should be alone. We should follow your orders.”Pride continued to tease his best friend.

“Maybe we should call Minho-oppa too.”Angel suggested.

“No. No. He doesn’t go out like this. That person’s busy.”Cross frowned and finished his food.

(At the supermarket)

Key and Angel were pushing a big cart for their groceries while Jonghyun were following them. Group of girls approached Jonghyun and talked to him because they thought he was alone. Cross noticed the girls and talked to them. Angel grabbed Jonghyun’s hand. Key introduced Angel as Jonghyun’s girlfriend then the girls left.

“That was close! I really don’t know why girls like you. They should like me, not you.”Key said while laughing.

“You’re so mean. How will they like you? Only a really courageous girl will like you.”Jonghyun teased while holding Angel’s hand.

“Did you see their glare when you introduced me as oppa’s girlfriend? I feel like being grilled.”Angel was laughing really hard. The three continued to shop. Jonghyun never let go of Angel’s hand while Key was the one pushing the cart and filling it with everything he likes.

“Hey! You’re going to pay for the things you get! I have a budget here!”Jonghyun reminded Key.

“Worry about your date later. I’ll pay for these!”Key said boastfully.

“Really? Thanks best friend!”Jonghyun patted Key’s back.

While waiting in the line to pay, Jonghyun and Angel noticed that the girls are still watching them. They walked Key to the taxi bay after paying at the cashier. Key wished them good luck and went home leaving the two alone. Angel and Jonghyun rode the next taxi when they noticed that the girls are around them again.

“Lotte World Please” Jonghyun said to the cab driver.