Chapter 2

A Change of Mind

After that first day of school, things became awful.

I had later that first day found out that the guy's name was Kim Myungsoo, though he was more commonly known as just L. His reputation was well-known all throughout the school: he wasn't to be messed with. If you wanted to live, you had better stay on good terms with him, and if there was something he wanted, you had best be giving it to him awfully fast, before he decided that you obviously didn't value your life very much.

This sure didn't make things any easier for me.  

Already during lunch that day it seemed like every single student knew that Lee Sungyeol was the property of Kim Myungsoo. This made it hard for me to make any friends, because they were apparently too scared to talk to me, afraid of what L would think about it. Especially the girls stayed far away. 

Great. First day and I'm already the loner.

I sighed and sat down at an empty table, placing my lunch in front of me.

"Hey there, jagi-ah." I felt a hand brush my shoulder and looked to my right. There he was, sitting right next to me. Too close. "I see you're sitting alone? Don't you have any friends?"

"You're the one who made everybody shy away from me," I said hotly.

"Oh, don't be like that. I didn't mean any harm."

"Well, you sure caused a lot of it."

"Your eyes are beautiful."

I was taken aback by this. How could he be so off topic? 

After a minute's pause, I finally managed to mutter "Don't change the subject. I know you're trying to distract me."

He looked at me with an emotion that I couldn't understand. "Are you really going to be this difficult?"

"What do you mean difficult? I'm not being difficult; I'm being perfectly reasonable. You're messing around with me and I really hate it."

L just stared at me, not uttering a single sentence. It seemed like his mind was full of thoughts, but saying them would change their meaning and so there was no point in trying to convey them. His eyes were so dark that I imagined I could have drowned in them, if only I would have let myself be in by his gaze. But I wouldn't let him. I wouldn't give him the permission to do that to me. 

So instead of looking at him any longer, I grabbed my spoon and shoved some rice into my mouth. I deliberately looked away as I chewed my food, though I felt his gaze at me all the while.

"You know, I'm not really a bad person, Sungyeol."

I kept my head turned away, looking at everything but him.

"I know I can make you happy, if you just would let me."

His words echoed inside my head, but I still kept my gaze directed at anything that wasn't him.

"Sungyeol, you really do fascinate me." And with that, I heard him rise and walk away.

I tried not to look, but in the end I turned my head towards him, watching his back as he left the cafeteria. Something about his back seemed awfully lonely, like a tree standing all by itself in the middle of the city, surrounded by tall, grey buildings.  

 

Author's note: Not really a long chapter, but oh well:P I hope you like it!