Challenge Accepted- Jay Park/Sandara Park

Happily Ever After Side Stories

 

“As long as you’re not dead, your life isn’t the end.”

-Jay Park-

 

Park Jaebum heaved a heavy sigh, palpitating while setting his foot on top of the mountain. His breathing was heavy and sweats trickling down his glistened face. He roared as he reached the peak smiling from ear to ear, watching thin clouds moved slowly in front of his eyes. Feeling satisfied as all the hard work in climbing Pico de Loro Mountain this early morning had pay back with the breath-taking view. His wide smile didn’t fade although a cold breeze slammed his tiny body harshly and it felt like breathing a freezing air, going straight to his lung.

“Why did you suddenly agreed to go for a hiking today?” Dara asked as she reached up to him, standing next to him at the edge of the mountain. “I thought you hate the idea, because the first time I asked you, you a little reluctant to accept,” she said smirking.

“I don’t know. I just feel like it,” he said smiling. “And I certainly doesn’t hate the idea, maybe I just felt in love with that.”

Sandara smiled back at him and shook her head slowly. She watched the beautiful view standing at the peak of the mountain. Although she has been here a couple of time before, the natural beauty of the place was simply unforgettable.

“You are very peculiar girl,” Jaebum said suddenly.

“What? Peculiar?” she asked with a frown. “You mean odd.”

Jaebum lips settled into a grin. “I mean, special…different.”

“Huh,” she scoffed lightly and folded her arms across her chest. “And why is that, if I may ask you?” she ran her gaze to Jaebum.

“Because…you don’t look like any other girl…” his voice trailed off as Dara sent a death threat with her eyes. “I don’t mean the physical appearance, but that seems to be like a very good example.”

Sandara kicked his leg hard with her foot, relishing her anger towards his ugly comment about how she looks.

“Hey, I was just being honest…and I’m still your boss,” he shouted rubbing his slim leg with his palm.

“We’re on top of a mountain, who cares if you’re my boss,” Dara shrieked.

“I care,” Jaebum said firmly with a tensed face.

“Huh.”

“Huh?”

“Well, you’re in no position to make a harsh comment on my physical appearance,” she said blatantly. “You don’t seem to be a man enough. What's with the tiny, frail-looking legs?”

“Hey, they’re not…frail. I just have a stronger upper body. That’s why my lower body seems to be a little weaker,” he defended.

“Whatever.”

He sighed and put both of his hand on his waist. “Well, back to my sincere remark earlier,” he looked at her pouted face. “I didn’t mean it in a bad way. It just that…I never met a girl like you.”

Sandara shifted her gaze back to Jaebum, staring at him with sharp eyes.

“A girl who prefers to wear jeans rather than a skirt. Who prefers hiking and extreme sport than meaningless shopping spree. Someone who talks a lot, rambling about everything-about your pet cat, your beloved younger brother and I even knew everything about you without the thought of knowing it myself,” he chuckled. “You’re fearless; speak out loud everything that crossed your mind without thinking. You’re just…peculiar.”

“It just seems like you don’t meet enough women,” she commented. “I’m just the same as any other woman. I appear to be tough but inside, I’m…fragile. I’m afraid to be hurt and I’m afraid of the pain itself.”

Jaebum lips stretched up into a small smile, ironically remembering his own pain.  

“I guess we’re all afraid of getting hurt,” he said softly and gazed at her attentively. “But that doesn’t stop us from falling, even if we’re not very sure if there’s someone who will catch us.”

“W-what are you talking about? Who’s falling? And who’s catching?” she asked wrinkling her forehead.

“Never mind.” Jaebum threw his gaze to the clouds again, shoving his broken heart deep inside.

“I’ll catch you.”

Jaebum turned his face to Dara immediately.

“If you fall, I’ll catch you,” she repeated.

Jaebum laughed quietly. “Thanks,” he muttered. “But, I can take care of myself. I’ll just hang from the plants living along the slope and wait for the rescue team to save me.”

“I really mean it.”

“I know. That’s why I want to dare you…”

Dara’s face twisted unable to digest his words.

“I dare you…to be my girlfriend,” Jaebum said finishing his sentence.

“W-wh-what?”

“You heard what I said.”

“I-I know. But I just…” she babbled while shaking her head gently. She blushed awkwardly. “But why? Do you love me? Or…or it is because my kind response of catching you if you fall…”

“I just want to be whole again. I want to be healed. And I don’t want to do that alone.”

“But…but…why me?”

He smiled faintly. “Just as I said before, because you’re a peculiar girl.”

They glanced at each other in silent. Both of them were trying to put the puzzle together, questioning about what’s right and wrong.

Jaebum’s mind flooded with doubt. Did his sudden decision was wrong? It is his true feeling or just a spur of the moment, or maybe because he’s on high?

“So, what do you say?” he enquired with thumping heart.

Dara remained silent before she answered leaving him fidgeting anxiously.

“Only if you promise me to go on a date once a week,” she said smiling her cute smile.

“Well, it depends.” Jaebum’s face lit up and he grinned like a boy. “Do you have anywhere to go?”

“Hmmm, I was thinking maybe we can go for a…snorkelling next week,” she smiled adoringly.

“I asked you to be my girlfriend not an extreme sport coach,” he whined.

Sandara burst out laughing. “Just imagine you have an extreme sport coach as a girlfriend,” she said while making her way down the mountain. “Let’s go. It’s getting hotter up here.”

He followed her trail. “So, do I have a girlfriend or what?” he asked as he walked behind her.

She turned to face him. “I double dare you…to be my boyfriend. And you’ll grow to love that fact.”

Jaebum grinned widely. “Challenge accepted.”

 

 

“If there is a beginning, there is an end. And if there is an end, there will be a new beginning”

-Dara-