Chapter 2

My Reaper's Heart

Kris once again skimmed through the small text, his eyebrows knotting together in frustration. He finally slammed the book shut with such force the other books on the table fell to the floor. A whole pile of books lay in disarray upon the floor. The Reaper, who is completely exhausted and frustrated, left them the way they were. He instead slumped himself on a chair, throwing his hand back. Kris felt an immense pain in his forehead. He started to rub the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger.

How long had he been reading? Hours maybe? Yes. Kris has been searching, book after book, for three hours. The Reaper just lay his head down on the desk.

He couldn't find anything. Everything he found in each text was the only information that was on the folder the Council gave him. He knew nothing more. This mission was going to be like looking for a pair of glasses when they were obviously blind, in a darkened room. Kris couldn't even find a picture of her, the Council did not provide a description of her, let alone a picture. This is going to be harder than I thought

"Kris. Hey, Kris." The Reaper felt a continuous poking at his shoulder blade. Before he grew more annoyed, Kris silently turned to face the source with the most pissed off glare he could muster.

Once he saw Kris' face, Xiumin cowered back from the obviously annoyed Reaper.

"H-Hey. Uh... Mr. Kim w-wanted to see you in the Armory room." That's when Kris remembered about his new scythe upgrades. Kris mumbled a 'thanks' to Xiumin before collecting his stuff and walking off.

He reached the Armory room in no time. As the Reaper entered, he saw the burly man asleep on a rocking chair. Kris stepped forward to wake up Mr. Kim but a sense of deja vu crossed his mind. Kris peered around for the shadow beast. And as he expected, the Demon Hound was crouching in a pounce-ready position. Teeth baring their white glimmer and traces of blood.

The Reaper backed away from Mr. Kim and took a different approach.

"Mr. Kim." The Amber haired man called. To Kris' luck, the man appeared to be a fairly light sleeper. He woke up, making a bit of a snorting noise and rubbed his eyes. 

Once he regained a sense of where he was, a cheerful smile covered his face.

"Ah, Kris. There you are." He yawned. " I have everything you need prepared. Come. Come see." He ushered the amber haired Reaper to his craft desk. Upon it was the most bag he had ever seen.

The burly man must have seen the  Reaper' s disappointed expression because he chuckled. "Not what you expected huh?" He teased." Were you assuming rocket launchers, or atomic bombs the size of your hands?" 

The Reaper lowly shook his head.

" Well, shall I show you a demonstration?" Mr. Kim didn't even wait for an answer from Kris because he immediately picked up the ordinary satchel. Reaching into the bag, he pulled out a small sword of some sort. Mr. Kim handed Kris the blade as he stood in awe. The Amber haired man was amazed by the detailed craftsmanship of the medium sized knife. On it's hilt were the most intricate designs, so precisely done it look as though it took years to craft. On the metal of the blade were absolutely stunning markings that Kris surprisingly recognized. Once he touch one of the symbols, each and every marking on the knife were greatly illuminated a bright bluish green.

Kris tried it out. Swinging the blade in positions, with such technique, with such pose. The more Kris continued to swing it, the brighter it seemed to glow, the light seemed to leave a bluish green trail in the air.

After the Reaper was done with the show, Mr. Kim smirked. "melna magija asmens" He promounced with such fluency Kris had to chuckle.

"Black Magic Blade." The Reaper repeated.

"Yes," Mr. Kim nodded. He took the blade from Kris' outstretched hands."a sword that bears markings of Demon slaying relics."

So it was pretty much a Demon knife. No other normal weapon can kill the beast of shadows. The markings on the knife are most likely from a Demon hunter. Organizations as such that, aren't rare. Kris didn't think he would really need it, as it was told, Demons are servants, slaves even, to those above them. But everyonce in a while there will be that undisciplined Demon, who will feel the need to kill or possibly eat living beings.

Mr. Kim continued to show the Reaper many weapons of great use, all in convenient sizes and most were just blades or knives. Each for different and special purposes. The burly man even pulled out what seemed to be an traditional pistol, which turned out to be a traditional pistol. There was no need for any special weapon of any sort to kill the girl. And if all goes well, he may even not need the pistol at all. The Reaper may not even have to use any of these weapons but all were for precautions.

When Mr. Kim had emptied the small bag, Kris barely noticed that there was one important weapon he was surprisingly missing.

"Mr. Kim?" Kris pointed to the bag,"The scythe?"

Mr.Kim seemed as though he had just remembered about the thing. He went to the corner of the room where he started to dig through many other weapons and scraps of metal.

"Ah-ha!" The man called. He picked up the small metal piece and strolled over to the Reaper.

"Here you are lad." The puny metal object looked smooth in his hands, cold. The amber haired man looked incredilously at the blunt object.

"You're joking, right." Kris scoffed. "It's a metal stick!"

And it was almost true. The metal object was no bigger than his foot. It had no special designs, to detachable blades, and it was void of color. It was as smooth, and plain as a small silver pen. Each of the sides were obviously smoothed out to round egdes.

"You are loking too close, dear boy." He laughed, holding his hand out so Kris could take it. Immeditely as his fingers tightened their grip around the cold, smooth metal, it seemed to reshape itself under his fingertips. It morphed and molded while his grasp was still tight. It finally ceased to fix itself when it reached the shape of Kris' old scythe.

"That's amazing!" The Reaper said in awe, to which Mr. Kim chuckled.

"See my boy?" He placed his large hand on Kris' shoulder. "Now, off you go. I have given you everything you need. Now, I expect to see that girl here. Alright?"

Kris nodded. He collected his stuff, preparing himself for his journey.

Thoughts raced through the Reaper's mind as he went down each winding hallway after another. In a moment of time, he realised how much of a challenge she would be to him. If she was able to injure other Reapers, what would she be able to do to him? But one thought was puxxling him mind. Repers are practically ghosts to hmans. We cannot be touched by them unless we allow them to, we can't even be seen by them unless we allow them to. So how would she be able to get near them, let alone harm them.

The Reaper was pulled out of his thoughts when he realized he had reached the outside of the institute. He looked back at the large, castle-like building. Each pillar reached higher and higher into the cloudless black sky. Kris hated being outside. It reminded him of where he really was. Once Kris stepped out of the perimeter shield that covered the institute he felt his body weaken. The Reaper flinched everytime an ear-piercing scream was heard, or when a small, Outer Demon passed by. Fire was seen in every direction, as well as scalded corpses as well a new, screaming for their lives. He heard their pleas, he heard their calls, but he did not turn. For if he would, he may be into the sinful fire himself.

The call of a litte girl was heard, her small pleas could be heard above all else. Kris turned to look for the source. Once he saw, his breath was caught in the lump in his throat, keeping him from puking. A small, pettite girl's frame was seen crawling out of the fire on all fours. Her hair seemed sizzled and dead, he wouldn't have been surprised if it was once a bright golden. Her skin was red, and raw, everywhere. She was wearing a small dress, it's cloth, tattered and , but the Reaper coud still see it's little bit of light blue cloth that was spared of the fire. But was holding Kris' attention were her eyes.

Her eyes, they were a bright, light blue, and seemed to deepen in color the closer it got to the pupil. Those eyes were full of tears. He coked back a sound, looking her one last time in the eyes, he ran off. Not looking back, and l ignoring every scream and plea he heard.

This... is Hell.