Tape 6- Unraveling Engraved Scars and Unhealed Wounds

One Day Late

 - Part Tw0-

 

" Chocolate is the cure to everything."

Laugh. I wonder if it's true. Is there really any way to permanently heal everything? To maybe redo all of our mistakes, or even change time?

Personally, if I could, I would go back to the past. I didn't have to worry about anything then. All I thought about as a kid was what I would do the next day, what I would talk about with my friends, what I was going to do at school. As I got older, I learned of other things: happiness, joy, pure bliss.

But, I learned of the bad things as well. There was sadness, depression, betrayal, emptiness...

I closed my eyes and leaned against the seat of the car as I listened to her voice in the background. It had been hours since I had gotten the envelope back at the cafe, and for the past hour or so, I had been staring at the package. I was tired; tired of waiting for what secrets she was going to divulge to me.

My patience was running thin.

Near the time I left... my life got turned around. I was forced to leave because... well it was cause...

Was she going to tell me? I could hear her taking a deep breath and under that, a soft clicking sound. I realized it was probably her nails. It was a habit of hers to rub her fingers together when she was scared. She was... afraid.

Something happened back at my hometown... my father had fallen ill.

Her father?

It couldn't be. I remember constantly visiting him with Taeyeon, and he had seemed perfectly fine! How could her father be sick? Just days before she left... I had asked for his permission to marry her.

 

" I want to ask Taeyeon to marry me, with your permission. I hope you will agree to it."

We sat in the living room facing each other. Taeyeon had gone out for a little bit with her mother, and I was alone with him at their house.  I thought it would be the best time to ask. He was the last factor in deciding whether or not I should, or even could, marry her.

" What makes you think that I should let you marry my daughter?" he answered sternly.

" I wouldn't do anything to hurt her. She's my life, I wouldn't be able to live without her." I got off the seat and went onto my knees. I lowered my head and place my arms down, bowing in front of him in respect. Tears started to fill my eyes.

" Please, this is all I ask of you. I wont ask of anything else. I'll take good care of her, I'll never let her out of my sight, I-"

I felt his hand on my back. " Get up."

I continued to kneel on the ground, afraid of what he was to tell me. " Get up. Now."

I took a deep breath, and lifted my head upwards. To my surprise, a smile was plastered onto his face. He got up off his seat, and pulled me up off my knees. He gave me a light tap on my shoulder.

" You shouldn't worry. I wouldn't have asked for a better son-in-law."

I had gotten his approval. I stumbled back, shocked and ecstatic. I felt as if I was riding on cloud nine! I bowed to him repeatedly holding his hand. " Thank you! You won't regret it! I'll- I'll make sure she is the happiest girl on Earth!"

He answered back with a low chuckle.

As I was in mid-bow, the door opened, and in walked Taeyeon and her mother. Taeyeon looked at us strangely, " You two seem to have bonded well. What's going on?"

Mr. Kim turned to face her. " Don't worry about it, honey. We were just talking."

She gave me a weird glance, and quickly shrugged to herself as she walked in.

"Finally, we can finally start a family," I thought, smiling to myself

 

He told my mom to hide it from me. He knew that you had wanted to propose, and he didn't want us to worry about him.

His health deteriorated fast, and I didn't know about it until a week before I left. I had noticed something wrong with him. His speech had slowed down, and his reactions to things were slow as well. I had asked him if he was alright, and he just brushed me off, saying he was tired.

I couldn't take it anymore.

When you left to go to the market that one afternoon, I went over and asked my mom if anything was wrong, and told her to tell me. After a while of asking, she broke into tears, and she revealed to me everything. About how you wanted to propose, about how he didn't want to get in the way of our marriage, and... that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

I covered my mouth in shock of the news. He had Alzheimer's? How could that be?

He had it for sometime already. It was practically invisible to me. I felt so stupid not being able to notice the signs.

After I left the house,I flew overseas to the U.S. with my parents. I needed to find a doctor who could possibly treat him, slow down the process, anything to save him.

How could she not tell me this?!

I realized that there was no cure, and that over time, he would just get worse.

I was right.

He began forgetting how to do daily things, like holding a spoon and fork. Then, it became life threatening. He began forgetting how to walk. He didn't know how to feed himself anymore. We had to feed him through a tube, and he became bed-ridden.

Meanwhile, my mother began to tell me that I was losing weight. To be honest, I couldn't eat or sleep.

I shut my eyes tight, trying to fight back tears. I could hear her stifling sobs on the tape as well. In a fit of rage, I punched the dashboard of the car, the mirror shaking above it. I place my head onto my hands as I grasped the wheel tightly.

All I wanted was for his to survive. I prayed every night, hoping maybe it could save him; I knew it was impossible. Even on his death bed, he could still remember me and my mother. His last words? He told me to go back to Seoul, to find you again and get married.

Then and there, tears flowed over the brim of my eyes. He still remembered... even as he laid there dying. Even if he was hundreds of miles away in a foreign land, he remembered.

He died 3 years after he was admitted into the hospital in the U.S. We brought him back here to bury him. I couldn't bear to stay in Seoul, so I went abroad to continue my studies.

I remembered I promised myself to come back... but I don't know if that's possible anymore...

I had to find her.

No matter what, I had to keep the promise that I had made to her father.

I just feel like a mess right now. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself... but now you know. Go to the Changwon Building in the backlot. That's your next stop.

That's all I have to say...

As the tape stopped, I could hear her crying as she said those last words... I felt ashamed. For all those years I felt angry and mad, while she alone dealt with the sickness of her father.

I screamed into my hands, frustrated at the thought that she was dealing with this all by herself somewhere in the world.

But all I could do now was follow her directions, and figure out where she was taking me...

 

And why...?

 

 

 

 

A/N: My lame excuse of a graphic -___-... it's the best I can do at my level, and I'm slightly frustrated >__<. I. MUST. LEARN. HOW. TO. MAKE. GRAPHICS.. T^T. Lol, excuse my babbling ^__^. So, back to the story. I decided on taking a less conventional route ( instead of giving him cancer).. yeah, I know, it , I hated writing it too! But even so, I hope you enjoy the update. See you soon!!