Tape 2- Mist and Waves

One Day Late

 

I was all alone.

It was somewhere around midnight, and I couldn't sleep. I could feel the mist of the water against my face as I sat on the sand at the beach. I held onto the tape tightly in my hands. I didn't know if I should continue listening. To be honest, I was afraid, afraid that what information that tape held would change my life in ways I couldn't imagine.

I popped the tape into the Walkman and clicked play. I had to finish what I had already started; there was no turning back. I could hear the sound of waves playing through the tape.

Wooyoung, do you remember this place?

How could I forget... I would go here all the time. There were times when I just needed some place to think alone.

Remember how we met? It was funny. All I remember now was that I was just walking, and then I felt something hit the back of my foot.

My soccer ball...

You came running over apologizing over and over again.

" It's alright, don't worry." I told you.

With a goofy grin, you said, " I feel bad for you... how about I make it up to you with a free lunch?"

I remembered asking myself if maybe you were trying to pick me up or something, haha.

The way we met... I would say that it was pretty god damn ironic. It was almost right out of drama; funny thing is I never watched them. In fact, I disliked them because they sounded so... so fake! To have something like that happen, it made me just laugh on the inside.

So, I said " Sure." I mean, what the hell right? Life was about making daring decisions.

After a while, we started hanging out more, and soon, we were dating. Our first date as a couple was here. I still remember lying on the sand with you next to me, watching the sun vanish into the horizon.

She laughed. I still remembered that day. Afterwards, we had carved our names into one of the pillars. I wanted to look for it, but it was too dark.

Taeyeon was the only one I ever thought could be "the one". Someone I would end up settling down with. Oh, how wrong I was...

The only reason I ended up meeting her was because of Nichkhun. That one day, he decided to come with me, " to play sports," he said. It turned out more like picking up girls... for him at least.

" You should play around more!" he said to me. " Either that, or you're going to turn up growing up alone."

He turned to survey the beach grounds, like a life guard. " What about her?" he asked cheekily, pointing at Taeyeon.

" Eh... she's okay," I began, "but I'm not that interested in finding girls right now. Let's play ball!"

His smile faded. "... You're not gay right?"

" WHAT THE HELL. Why would you think that?!"

" Because you're always avoiding girls." he replied matter-of-factly.

" I'm not interested in girls right now."

He rolled his eyes at me. " Whatever, Woodong."

" What did I do?"

" Nothing, nothing."

He did the most impossible thing you could ever think of: he kicked the ball halfway across the beach, and ended up hitting her.

I turned to look at him, surprise written all over my face. " You said to play ball, and that's what I did," he replied with a mischievous grin on his face.

His plan, I completely fell for it.

But now, looking back, I guess I owed him.

We were young. Careless even. I didn't think that we would end up breaking up eventually.

" Maybe this love story will turn out all right." I would tell that to myself every night.

You were my first love, I don't think I ever said that to you. I had never been with any other man, though I'm pretty sure you have had plenty of girlfriends before me. Even now...

She went silent. For a while all I could hear was the sounds of waves and her faint breathing in the background. It made me think for a little bit.

Was she sitting where I was when she made this?

Was she looking at what I was?

Maybe she was watching the waves swing back and forth like I was, wondering how she would record all of this.

Well.. enough of this, it's time to move on to our next stop.

The park, look behind the playground at the swings, you'll find it there.

The tape stopped. I decided to sit there for a while. I didn't want to go back. After hearing all of this.. it made me wonder how she could deal with this all on her own.

She was the smiling type. Her smile literally could brighten up anyone's day. I couldn't imagine her crying from all of this. Even the though of it felt painful to me.

I stood up taking off my shoes, and walked into the water. It swirled around my ankles.

 

" Yah! It's cold!" Taeyeon exclaimed wadding back out.

" Come on, it's not that bad."

" But... I don't know how to swim."

I grabbed her hand. " I'll be next to you this whole time. Come on."

" Fine, but if you let go, I swear when we get back on shore, I WILL -"

" Come on!" I pulled silencing her.

" WAIT, WAIT! I'm not ready yet!"

I lifted her off her feet, and began carrying her. " No!"

I stopped walking. " It'll be fun. Trust me!"

"... Okay. It better be!"

 

God, I wish she was still here.