Tape 4- Arabesques and Everything In-Between

One Day Late

I parked the car by the side of the road and began walking into the building. The apartment building rose a few stories high, and was concealed from the usual commotion from the city. In fact, it was quite the opposite actually. It was still near many little shops, but compared to most streets, this one was particularly quiet.

I walked up to the reception desk, where a grandmother was busily cleaning. " Excuse me." I asked. The grandmother looked up, and shot a quick smile at me.

" My, we don't usually have visitors here!" she replied taking a seat, " How can I help you?"

" Um, do you know where E#145 is?"

She sat for a little bit, trying to remember. " It... should be on the 5th floor. Yes! The 5th floor."

" Thank you very much." I replied bowing.

I walked up the stairway to the 5th floor, and began looking at the room numbers. It seemed to never end until finally, I saw the numbers 145 engraved on a plaque by a door. I knocked on the wooden door. I could hear footsteps coming from the inside, and the doorknob turned. The door opened to reveal a girl with long hair wearing pink dancing attire.

" Tiffany?"

She looked at me with shock, her hands clamped over . Her eyes began to water. " WOOYOUNG!" she exclaimed, hugging me tightly.

 

" How've you been?"

I laughed sadly." I've been better." I replied, taking a seat on her couch.

" I still can't beleive that she left you." she replied as she was making herself a mug of coffee.

" Well, it happened. Nothing I can do about it... So how have you been?" I asked, wanting to change the subject.

" Great! I got casted in a role in the local ballet!" she exclaimed excitedly. " Really? Congratulations!"

" Finally, after so long. And it's all thanks to you." she answered, smiling.

" Me?" I laughed. " What did I do?"

" What did you do?! You're kidding right?" she joked, but I shook my head unknowingly. She sighed, " You were the one who kept telling me to try out, and go for it. So I followed your advice."

" All I told you was the truth-"

" And I needed that. Thanks, Wooyoung."

Stephanie Hwang, or as she preferred Tiffany, was a very close friend of mine. She was also like a sister to Taeyeon. She had a dream to dance. Ever since she was small, she would always talk about dancing and performing in front of others. It was her thing.

Some thought she was a show-off, and a little bit conceited. I admit, I did when I first met her, but she warmed up to me. I could trust her with anything. She knew of what had happened, and helped me get through it. Her personality really reminded me of Taeyeon, more than you could imagine, but in my eyes she was a little sister to me.

 

I sat at the bar empty bottles surrounding me. I wasn't in my right mind, I was drunk. She was gone. I couldn't believe it. I downed another bottle, when I heard the door to the bar slam open.

" Wooyoung! What the hell is wrong with you?" Tiffany screamed.

" She's gone... WHAT THE HELL DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS!"

" I'll pay for him." I heard her say to the bar tender. With one swift move, she swung my arm around her shoulders and began supporting me out of the bar and into her waiting car.

" I want to go back! Let me out!"

" Calm down, Wooyoung." she said calmly.

" NO! HWANG TIFFANY, YOU BETTER LET ME THE HELL OUT OF HERE BEFORE I DESTROY YOU AND YOUR CAR!"

I fought with her the entire ride. I pounded on the doors, the windows, but she was unfazed. Her eyes on the road, not saying a single word.

She jammed the brakes and walked out of the car. In my blurry vision, I saw her silhouette walk to my side of the car, and she took me out.

She began supporting me into her house. My body was acting not how I wanted it to, I lost control. " DAMN IT, TIFFANY! LET ME GO!"

Then I felt pain across my cheek. " Calm down! She's gone already! There's nothing you can do!" I could feel her pulling on my wrists. " Let go of me!" I whipped my hand out of her grasp, but she held onto my other wrist tightly. She brought me into a bright room and forced me to sit down. Then, I felt something cold all over my body: water.

I was in the bathroom.

After a while of pleading and begging, she turned it off. " What's wrong with you? I told you not to drink!"

" I'm a grown man, I can drink whenever I want."

She scoffed. " Not unless you want to die."

" Well you know what? I DO. She left... without a word. DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT THE HELL I'M FEELING RIGHT NOW?!"

" I know! You feel like your life's over, that without her here, you're going to fade away, but please... be rational."

Tears started streaming down my face. I could see that she was crying too. It must hurt her to see me like this.

" Tiffany..." I grabbed her into a hug as I sat in the tub soaking wet. " I don't know how I can live without her.." I sobbed.

" Wooyoung ah.." she replied patting me on the back, trying to comfort me. " I know you're in pain right now, but you shouldn't drink when you're upset... Please don't be like this."

She was right, I was being selfish. " I'm sorry, Fany..."

" Don't worry about it." I backed away from her and saw that she was in a white tutu and pointe shoes, her hair curled. " Did you come from a performance?"

She nodded. " Family comes first before dancing."

I looked at her clothes. Water was dripping off the edges. " Fany, your soaked." I laughed quietly.

She looked down at herself. " Well, so are you!" she retorted.  "And I wouldn't be if you didn't hug me with you wet and sweaty arms. Now, I'll give you something to change into, and we can go have a movie marathon or something." she replied getting up.

She looked down at herself. " Man, I just washed these."

" I'll buy you a new one."

" DEAL."

 

I walked out of her bedroom with some clothing that she lent me. " Um, Tiffany, why do you have men's clothing?" I asked, tugging on my shirt.

She looked up curiously from eating her popcorn on the couch. She had changed into an oversized T-shirt and shorts. She shrugged, " It was comfy so I bought it to wear at home. Who knew it would come in handy one day?"

" Geez, Fany."

" What? It was!" she whined. I sat down beside her and grabbed some popcorn from the bowl on her lap. " You feeling better?"

" Yeah, a little."

" That's good." she smiled her signature eye smile. " At least you're better than earlier."

" I don't think I will be in the morning..." I sighed.

" That's what you get for drinking. I told you not to-"

" Yeah, yeah Fany." She looked at me, apparently offended. " I'm not even going to help you the next time this happens."

" Aw, come on! I was joking." She pouted angrily. " Forgive me?"

She put her hand up to my face " Whatever, I will eventually." 

" Now, come on. Let's get this movie marathon started!" she exclaimed, getting up. She walked over the the TV and pulled out a disc. I moved a little on the couch to try and see what she was pulling out. I could faintly read the title.

"  NO! I am not watching that."

She turned around looking at the disc. " What wrong with it?"

" It's a freaking chick flick." Now that she had turned around, I could clearly see the title. It was called " A Walk to Remember".

" Gosh, your such a party pooper..." she pouted.

" God! Fine! You're making me feel guilty. Let's just watch it." She jumped for joy, and did a fist pump in the air. She pushed the DVD into the DVD player and sat beside me on the couch.

" I swear, if I die from this, I'm blaming you."

" Don't worry, you'll be fine."

 

I covered my face with her hands. " AH! My eyes, I think I might go blind!"

" Geez, stop being such a drama queen."

" Meanie." I mumbled.

" Loser!"

" Whiner... thanks again."

She pulled her hands away from my eyes. " Anytime."

" Just don't ever call me a whiner again."

 

" Hey, do you want to come to one of my shows? I have connections and I can get you tickets."

I smiled. " Course, I wouldn't miss it."

She danced happily, but suddenly stopped. " Hey, there's an envelope addressed to you. That's weird, why would there  be an envelope for you?"

She walked to the table and pulled up a yellow envelope with my name on it.

" Thanks, Fany..."

She looked at me curiously. " Wooyoung, did something happen? What's up?"

I sighed. " Taeyeon had been sending me these tapes."

" Taeyeon?" I nodded beside her. " She's trying to tell me why she left back then."

She looked shocked. " Do you even know if she's the one sending them?" I shook my head, and tore the envelope open. Inside, another tape was caressed in the folds of the yellow paper.

" Well, I have a tape player if you want to use it."

" Sure."

 

Tiffany, you're probably listening to this with Wooyoung right now. I know that you and him are inseparable, like two peas in a pod. If I didn't know it, I would've thought that you were brother and sister. You have that type of personality, the type I wish I could be.

" Wow." Tiffany said beside me. " It really is her... I recognize her voice."

"I know, that's what I was thinking when I heard the first one."

I remember passing you house that night. I saw headlights, and ran behind a wall to hide. To my surprise, I saw you and Wooyoung. when I looked closer, I realized that Wooyoung was on the verge of passing out. He was yelling like a mad man. I was a second away from running out of my hiding place to help you.

But... I couldn't do it.

Fany ah, you were my best friend. Do you remember that nickname we came up with? Taeny. Haha, those were the times, huh? Everyday, I'm thinking of you. I hope that you are able to achieve your dreams of becoming a dancer, and that maybe when I come back, I can come to one of your shows and root you on!

Tiffany began crying beside me. I put my arm around her shoulders to comfort her.

Wooyoung... your journey is not yet over. I hope you can stick through for me. I know now that what I'm saying might never be possible, and that you might hate me now, but I just couldn't tell you back then.

I still worry about you everyday. I hope you can forgive me someday.

Go to the Han River, under the entwined trees. You can't miss it.

I'm praying everyday that I can come back to both of you someday... please be happy. For me.

 

Tiffany burrowed her face into my shoulder, breaking down. I could feel her tears through my shirt." I miss her!" she sobbed.

" I know. I do too."

 

Tiffany walked down with me to my car. " Are you sure, you don't want me to come with you?"

I laughed, " I think it's best if you worry about your play. You have to practice!"

" But... are you sure?"

" I'll call you up if anything comes up, okay?"

" Swear?"

" On my life." I replied as I got into my car.

She leaned on the car window on her hands. " Don't forget, you promised to come watch my show too."

" Just tell me when, and I'll be there." I started up the car. " I have to get going. I'll see you soon, Fany."

I began driving off. " Bye Wooyoung!!" I heard her yell happily. I looked through the rear-view mirror and saw her waving in the distance.

I stuck my hand out of the window and waved back. As I got farther away, she got smaller in the distance.

Soon, she was gone from my view.