Chapter One

Morpheus.

“Where is that foolish son of mine?!”

The King’s voice shook his kingdom to the core, servants struggled to keep books on their shelves and fine china in their cabinets as his voice only continued to get louder.  In her room, Sulli stared desperately at her favorite maid, Krystal. Her father had been furious ever since he’d found out about her brother leaving for the human world. She knew it would only be a matter of time before he sent his guards after him and she could only hope that her brother would return before things became that dire. Rather than eat breakfast with the rest of the family, she had retired early to her bedroom as soon as her father had found out. She didn’t need his attention to shift to her shaking and crying.

Krystal tried her best to soothe Sulli and pulled her into a close hug. Their relationship had always been unorthodox as the Princess relied on her less as a maid and more as a confidant and friend. Whispers were always bound to follow the two as Sulli would insist that they hold hands rather than have Krystal trail behind her like most would prefer. But despite the panic that would strike her entirely whenever she caught the end of a murmur or whisper, her Princess’ presence would always be there to calm her down. So it was only natural that she paid in kind and do her best to comfort her when she needed it most, not as a maid but as a friend and more.

 

Dishes were on the floor and chairs had been thrown about, yet still the Queen sat calm and collected. Her husband’s spat was nothing new, the relationship between him and her eldest son had always been tempestuous at best. It was only a matter of time till he returned to get in his father’s good graces again before screwing things up when he got bored once again. So there was no need to make any kind of fuss as this was only a natural occurrence in their household. Her eldest daughter, Chorong was enjoying herself to the fullest as she watched her father pace about the room, shouting commands and profanity at his servants.

“Oh I do hope he sends the guards after him.” She hummed happily. Perhaps in any other family a remark like hers would set off alarm bells but her daughter was Princess Eris, goddess of calamity and discord. There was nothing she loved more than the spats between father and son.

“If brother continues to make himself scarce, father will.” Sungjong sniffed and rubbed his eyes before tapping his empty water glass to be filled up again. With his brother gone he’d been left to take care of his chores and while Sungjong loathed paperwork as much as his older brother he at least had the good sense to finish it. In short, he had swamped ever since his brother’s hasty departure.

“Another late night, dearest brother?” Chorong couldn’t hide her delight in his misery and she continued. “I’m half-surprised you didn’t send the guards on his tail yourself with all the work that’s been unloaded onto you now.”

Her younger brother sighed, it was always like this with her. “Not at all.” He lied through his teeth and flashed a big smile her way. “I rather enjoy the extra work to keep me busy.” She scoffed and tossed her napkin haphazardly onto her sit as she got up. Her father was now immersed in conversation with his henchmen, it seems her brother would be paid a visit soon. She could never understand why her father was so set on Sungyeol being King, if someone could make it more clear that they had no interest in kingly activities she didn’t know how. But then again, if he abdicated the throne to her it would take away all the fun. Plus, “His grip on the crown is so weak it shouldn’t take much to yank it from his cold, limp hands.” She mumbled with a wicked grin, walking down the hall and into her room.

 

Sleep addled and completely tired Myungsoo fought to keep his eyes open as he sat on the train bound for home. He’d finished his first year of university, he just had to await his test results. Unlike all his friends, he’d yet to pick a major. There were so many interesting things to choose from and yet none seemed fitting for him. His friends were on a campaign to push him into writing or photography, two things he enjoyed most but neither were a reliable source of income and it’s not as if he was going to school for fun. He had to make the most of what he was given and choose a major which would bring in money that his family so desperately needed. His older brother Sunggyu felt the same way, yet his resolve was much weaker as he put it and instead of obtaining a degree he’d dropped out not even a week in to pursue his dream of being a rock legend. So far it had yet to pan out for him as he jumped from one band to another for the silliest reasons and without care. So the weight of bringing in money fell straight onto Myungsoo’s shoulders for him to bear alone. He could hear the voice of Woohyun ringing loudly. “What kind of extravagant does he think he is? Telling you that he’s sorry but he’s a weak man and has to follow his dreams so you have to find a decent job and bring in the money? If he was my brother I would’ve punched him out.” But Myungsoo couldn’t find it in him to be mad. His brother was happy and following his dream, Myungsoo didn’t even have a dream to speak of so why should Sunggyu have to sacrifice for him? It made much more sense for Myungsoo to be the one to make a sacrifice for his family. But if only he could pick a major.

 

He was four stops from being home when the train made a brief stop in the middle of a bridge. Myungsoo had been so entranced with his own thoughts that he hardly noticed a man ease his way through the glass and metal and sit down comfortably across from him before the train as if nothing had happened, began to move again. The man was with someone; both dressed in traditional black suits but the man who was sitting was a good half foot taller than the other.

“Do you think we should ask for him to leave?” The taller asked the shorter. “I mean he’s not really in the way- but he is the only one left and it would be best if no one were around to be a witness.”

The shorter man grunted in acknowledgement before speaking, his voice had more restraint then his accomplice and was much deeper.

“You shouldn’t speak as if no one is around to hear, Prince. Even if he looks… rather engaged in his own thoughts to notice.”

“My bad, my bad.” The Prince answered cheerfully.

“But anyway, should we ask him?”

 

“Hey you.” The voice made Myungsoo’s head snap up, he hadn’t realized he had company. They were peculiar, the two men sitting across from him. Since when had they been there? And what did they want from him? The taller one didn’t seem threatening at all. He was smiling brightly at Myungsoo and his hands were out where he could see them. His friend however was mildly terrifying. He was spread out, taking half the bench where he sat with his hands in his pockets and a menacing snarl on his face.

“The next stop, you get out.” The man said simply. There was no need to interpret anything he said, it was plain as day.

 

“But it’s not even my stop-”Myungsoo protested which made the taller, happier man laugh.

“I don’t care. We need this train and you don’t want to be on it. So when the next stop comes- you. Get. Off.” 

The way he spoke terrified Myungsoo, there was something laced within in his tone that ran a cold sweat down his neck and he knew then that he should do as he said or else. And yet, when the stop came he found himself unable to get off. He was frozen with fear. He couldn’t move his body at all, he was as stiff as a solid block of ice in the arctic.

“You see that Howon, you made the poor guy freeze to near death in with fright.” Howon’s friend said with a sigh as they felt the train begin to move again but with Myungsoo still on it.

“My apologies Prince, I wasn’t thinking.”

“Well it’s no matter, with him as still as this we can move him out of the way with relative ease anyway.” With those words, the Prince- as Howon had called him picked Myungsoo up and slung him over his shoulder. Instantly Myungsoo felt his whole body relax and he went limp in the mans arms, but still unfortunately for him, unable to move. Myungsoo tried to protest once more, what were they doing and why were they taking him with them? The last thing he needed was to be an accomplice to whatever nefarious deeds those two had planned. But just as Myungsoo found his voice coming back to him and his lips able to move somewhat there was an earth shatter crack.

 

A large crow had pierced its beak into the window of the train. It was soon followed by others and loud thuds rang out as they smacked against the train’s side harshly. All the Prince could do was laugh. “So he sent the guards for me after all, that crazy old bastard.” He muttered, holding onto Myungsoo tightly as he and his bodyguard pried the other doors to the train open and made a jump for it, just as the crows had found their bearing and managed to completely break through the glass window. Their feathers were as black as pitch and scarily so, they weren’t glossy, they weren’t light looking, there was nothing but shape to indicate that they were feathers. Myungsoo found himself captivated by them, he felt as if his whole being could be up into them just by looking.

 

Is this how I’m going to die? He thought, watching languidly as the crows drew closer at amazing speed after the three of them. They had jumped a few minutes back it felt like but yet they hadn’t met any ground and Myungsoo found himself in a dream like haze as buildings blended together and the sky seeped into the ground below it. He could hear muffled shouts and shrieks as feathers flew every which way and yet he was calm, collected and even, sleepy. He let out a loud yawn, wondering if everything he was experiencing in this moment was all just one wild dream and closed his eyes, letting himself be welcomed into the black when his eyelids fell shut.  

 


A/N - Welp, first (unbetad) chapter is up! Sorry if it's way too long but I have a feeling almost 2k - 2k+ is about the pace i'm going to be writing per chapter. I dont have a fixed schedule just yet but I hope to figure something out soon! I will also be updating the foreword with character info later on but I have a friend who is helping me with graphics and i'm debating teaching myself PS for the poster or finding a shop. I'm also thinking about making a neater version of the character chart I use to help me when writing and uploading it but Idk! 

I hope you enjoyed the first, real chapter of Morpheus! Let me know what you think!