The rules that define us

The rules that define us

Rules are what defines the relationships between people. An outsider can easily see the relationship between two people by the rules that they had set down for themselves. It is easy to distinguish if the two people are friends, siblings, family to each other, relatives, lovers or mere strangers by what rules they follow when they are with each other.

                To everyone around Chanyeol and Krystal, the two of them looked perfect together. From when they started to be friends, so when they turned to be something more. Their whole relationship was based on trust, understanding ad pure fondness to each other. Theirs friends and family had told them, that they will end up together. And to everybody’s joy, they did.

                Chanyeol was there for Krystal during her lowest times, and she loved him for that. He glued her broken heart when her previous boyfriend shattered it. And Krystal paid him back by giving her heart to him for his kind gestures, warm hugs and those late night cuddle sessions.

                They were perfect for each other. Both from the way they looked, to the way they acted when they were together and the way they saw each other. Nobody could deny the love they saw in the couples faces when they were together.

                It was clear that Chanyeol’s and Krystal’s relationship was perfect because of the rules that they had set to each other. But rules are made to be born, changed and broken. In the end, they are always forgotten. And the lines between what was normally done and what should or shouldn’t be done thin out, until they become so blur, that they barely exist.

                The way Krystal was fond of Chanyeol was never questioned. The boy knew where he stood in her heart and he was happy to be there. And the girl knew perfectly well what the boy felt for her and how much he cherished her. The female never doubted her feelings for the boy, until Luhan came in. The man that broke her heart and left her to find a better life. The man that Krystal had tried to forget, and with the help of Chanyeol, she thought that she truly did forget him. The man that Chanyeol swore to  hate for making Krystal cry in emotional pain for months. Of course they did not now Luhan’s feelings when he broke up with her. But the mere fact that he did break up with her created an image that he did not care about her anymore. But images, just like rules, are made to be broken at some point. And then new ones are created. As Luhan came into the picture, the previously perfect couple’s image crumbled slowly. Day by day Krystal saw the way her previous boyfriend looked at her. With eyes full of regret, sadness and a small tint of hope. She remembered all the memories she had shared with Luhan. All the smiles, hugs, and laughter they had. All the obstacles they had gone through. Without even realizing it, the female started accepting Luhan’s presence and slowly forgave him for what he had done. All this time as she was remembering her previous relationship, Chanyeol saw right through her. He saw the way she still looked at her ex-boyfriend. The way her gaze still held tenderness when she glanced at him, or when she caught him smiling. The way she had started to react to his again. After all this time, Chanyeol understood that his beloved girlfriend had never truly forgotten her first boyfriend. He was still in her heart, and was just as important, if not more important than Chanyeol was to her.

                The weather was perfect for the three people that stood staring at each other. Both males where looking at the female intently, while she was trying to figure out how she should react. The three figures were filled with different emotions. One with regret, love and hope. The second one was torn in between the two. And the third one was utterly hopeless and broken. Just the way the girl looked at the shorter male made the taller one miserable. All this time he knew that he had not forgotten him, but he had hoped that he could of taken Luhan’s place in her heart just a little bit.

                “Krystal, I’m sorry. You can’t image how much of an idiot I have been to leave you. I should have never broken up with you. These past three years had been miserable. Not even one day passed by when I did not think about you. I regret leaving you, I regret hurting you the way I did. I was truly happy only when I was with you. I only hope that you could forgive me one day.” The shorter male was gazing at the female with love and sorrow. She had truly been, and still is his only girl. If only he had figured it out earlier. Right at that moment something clicked in Krystal’s heart. She felt a warm feeling surrounding her. His sincere apology was all she needed. The female hugged him tightly and Luhan smiled into her hair. Chanyeol was standing right behind them and trying to hold in his sorrow. The girl he had loved for years was in another man’s embrace, and she looked happy again. He gazed at the hugging couple for the last time and silently walked away with tear rolling down his cheeks.

                “Thank you for not ignoring me anymore. You are still the most important person to me Krystal. And you always will be.” The female gazed at the boy and he kissed her cheek softly. As his lips touched her face, she remembered Chanyeol and his pained face. She turned around to look for him, but he was nowhere around. Krystal quickly pushed away from Luhan and went to the only place that she thought Chanyeol would go to when he would be hurt. Luhan did not try to stop her. He knew that this should be her choice, and he could not force her to stay. Plus, the taller boy had been with her when she was hurt by him, she can’t just simply forget him.

                A lone man was in the empty and seemingly dark playground. He was sitting on one of the swings without moving and gazed at the setting sun. He felt that his hands where getting numb from the cold. But the coldness could not be matched with the feeling in his heart. Darkness and emptiness was all he could feel. He did not know how his relationship with Krystal will be after this. She had already told him before that it was better if they were not a couple anymore for now. And he had agreed with pain in his heart. He could never deny her anything.

                The only thing the man felt before turning his head was a soft hand brushing his hair. It was her. The girl that he had loved with all of his heart. Krystal. The creature that was so beautiful, she could take his breath away simply by looking at him. But right now, his heart felt numb. Maybe because she had feeling for another person? Or was he just too much in pain to feel her love? She frowned while looking at him and ran her fingers over his forehead.

                “Chanyeol, I am truly sorry. I never wanted this to happen. I never planned for us to become like this. I truly am sorry.” The man gazed at her without saying anything and the female opened again.

                “Could we stay friends? Just like how we were before? Please Chanyeol.” The male starred at her with an unreadable emotion. How could he deny her this? If this is what she truly wanted? But how could she ask for this so easily? How can they go back to how they were, if the only thing he wanted was to hold her? How could he be her friend, if she went back to Luhan? The guy that he wanted to hate so much, but couldn’t, because he saw the way she still loved him. Chanyeol could never hate anything or anyone that Krystal loved. Not even him. But as much as Chanyeol knew that he should have said no to the girl right now, he couldn’t. It pained him to see her with another man, but it pained him more to not see her at all.

                “I still want us to be friends. I want to see your face every day, even if it means that I have to stay your friend.” Krystal was about to hug Chanyeol, when he stopped her by stepping back.

                “I want us to be friends, but we can’t go back to how we were before. It would be too much for me.”

                “Then how Chanyeol? How can I still have you by my side? Tell me, I will do anything.” The female looked at the male desperately and he turned his face away from her’s.

                “If you want to keep me near you, follow these rules.” (A/N these are the rules that Chanyeol had stated: The rules . This is not my website, I had not created them. All the rights go to Jamie Delos Reyes.)

                After hearing the rules that Chanyeol had set between them, Krystal’s eyes started filling up with tears. Had she really hurt him so badly, that he wanted to distance himself from her? Could she really go by these rules?

                “Chanyeol…” The female’s voice wavered as tears started rolling down her cheeks. The man looked at her with a sad face. It took every ounce of his will to not gather her in his arms and whisper that everything will be alright. As the girl looked at his face through the tears, she had understood what she lost by accepting Luhan back into her life. She had hurt her soul mate, her guardian angel. There was no way back right now, and it made the girl hate herself for doing this to Chanyeol. The man turned around to go, but stopped to say his last words to the girl.

                “At least not for now.” He walked away from the girl, leaving her alone in the playground. His last words had echoed in her head. At least not for now. What did he mean by it? Are there still chances that they could go back to the way they were before?