Part 4

Beauty and the Beast: a Myungjong fairytale

           Flicking his bangs out of his eyes, Sungjong bit on his lips worriedly. How do you even greet your family?

 

            Hi, I’m back? Well, no . Unless my eyes are flipping liars and I’m seeing a mirage in the middle of winter.

 

            Dad, how have you been? As if I’ve been married off already. Oh, screw this. Sungjong shook his head in frustration. He exited the black Bentley that Myungsoo lent him (Oh, god. Sungyeol’s organs couldn’t even cover half the cost, but then again the caffeine had probably wrecked them and cheapened the value.) and strode up to the front door. Knocking on the door briskly, Sungjong smoothed his sleek hair patiently.

 

            The door swung open to reveal Howon. “Sungjong?” he gasped.

           

             “The one and only,” he smirked, reaching up to pull off his shades…Oh, right. He didn’t have them on.

 

            “Sungjong?!” a familiar voice shrieked. Sungjong peered over Howon’s shoulder to see a beansprout running towards him at full speed, arms outstretched. Sungjong smiled at him and opened his arms, his heart warming. Aww…maybe he wasn’t so –

 

            Sungyeol sped right past them to hug the Bentley, completely ignoring Sungjong’s arms. “What did you do?” he yelled, “Did you finally trash that sardine can and got yourself a sugar daddy to buy you this beauty?” The boy scowled, letting his arms drop. Howon enveloped him in his arms and sniffed his hair.

 

            “It’s good to have you back, Sungjongie.” He murmured softly. Sungjong smiled slightly and hugged his brother back, pointedly turning his back on his worthless car-loving brother. “Where’s Dad?” he asked, raising his head from Howon’s shoulder. In response, Howon’s thick eyebrows furrowed in worry and he jerked his thumb in the direction of the living room.

 

            Sungjong tore away from his brother and made a mad dash for his dad, momentarily forgetting about his chic image and becoming a small boy again. He burst into the room, his eyes scanning around until they alighted on a shell-shocked Sunggyu huddled next to a haggard-looking Woohyun.

 

            Sunggyu’s eyes widened infinitesimally, probably reaching their maximum potential already. He stood up suddenly, gaping at his youngest son as though he had sprouted a hairy mole on his flawless face. No words needed to be exchanged as father and son reached for each other and hugged tightly. Sungjong could feel his father’s anguish and guilt soaking into every fibre of his being as he clutched at him wordlessly.

 

            “I’m back,” he whispered the words his father used to say to him, “Don’t you worry anymore.” Woohyun came around and placed his hand on Sunggyu’s shoulder, smiling a wan smile at Sungjong, his eyes crinkling up like the wrapper of his favourite lemon candy.

 

            At the thought of his candy, Sungjong scoffed at himself. He really is an idiot to leave behind everything he loved simply because of vain hope. He’ll pick sanity over pride any day. The five of them caught up with each other later on amid delicious cookies courtesy of Woohyun.

 

            Sungyeol shook his head stubbornly as he bit into a cookie, “It must be magic, it has to be.”

 

            “Yeah, the magic of my cooking.” Woohyun flipped his hair and smirked at him.

 

            “Didn’t you give up cooking when girls complained of you being too girly?” Sungjong teased, completely missing the burning glare from Sunggyu frying up the wizard.

 

           Trying to diffuse the tension, he sent cheesy half wink to his lover, “It’s all right, because I’m just manly enough to satisfy my little hamster.”

 

           “Cue the puke fest.” Howon muttered under his breath. Unaffected, the grease king clapped his hands together to draw Sungjong’s attention.

 

           “So, how’s the beast by the way?” he asked a bit too casually, “Did he try to hurt you?”

 

           Sungjong narrowed his eyes suspiciously. Something was not quite right. Woohyun’s eyes shifted uncomfortably away from his sharp gaze, his smile becoming a bit strained. “No,” he replied slowly, “He was very kind to me.” At Sungyeol’s disbelieving snort, he added, “Kinder than Sungyeol hyung at least.”

 

           Woohyun nodded, looking like he wanted to ask something else. Sunggyu chose that moment to stretch his arms and grin at his favourite son. “What do you want for dinner? We should go and celebrate a bit tonight.”

 

           Pushing aside his suspicions, Sungjong allowed himself to beam back. Let me just enjoy myself before I return to that hellhole. They piled into the Bentley with an ecstatic choding looking like he wanted to die of happiness and the rest looking like they were facing imminent death with Sungyeol at the wheel.

 

           Sungjong looked out at the surrounding greenery as the car raced off, his thoughts unsettlingly shifting back to Myungsoo.

 

__________________________

 

           Myungsoo plucked at the petals of a red rose, muttering to himself. “He’ll be back, he won’t be back. He’ll be back, he won’t – ” His fingers paused on the last petal. Biting his lips, he forced himself to pull off the last petal and whispered, “He won’t be back.”

 

           Annoyed, he tossed the useless stem away. What next? Gazing at the moon and wondering if Sungjong was doing the same? Curse that Nam Woohyun and his ridiculous ideas on romance.

 

           “Don’t worry, sir,” a cold metal arm brushed his elbow, “Master Sungjong wouldn’t break his promise.”

 

           “I wouldn’t blame him for not coming back.” He sighed, “This isn’t exactly a happily-ever-after, and I’m no Prince Charming.”

 

           Dongwoo shrugged, “Maybe he’s more into the beastly kind of men.” At the look he received he threw up his arms, “I’m just saying! Anyway, you were really handsome before.”

 

           The beast gazed out at the surrounding garden and the rose bushes. Maybe it’s a better idea to let him go, seeing how much he loves his freedom. Wow he can practically hear the K-drama OST ringing out now.

 

           Impulsively, he picked up the metal stick and hugged him tightly, a sorry excuse for the slim body of Sungjong. Feeling sorry for himself and sorrier that he couldn’t hug Sungjong again and sorry to all the girls he played with and just sorry to everything in general Myungsoo squeezed him tighter.

 

           “Master,” he choked out, “You’re squeezing the lights out of me.” Glancing downwards, Myungsoo saw the candle stumps from Dongwoo’s arms littered over the floor. Ah, well. Metal won’t bend anyway, he thought as he continued to cuddle Dongwoo, his promise to Sungjong bouncing around his head. Otherwise I’ll die, otherwise I’ll die, otherwise…

 

__________________________

 

            Sunggyu dropped his spoon in shock. “You’re going back?” he asked, shocked.

 

            “Yeah, I am.” He replied, a little surprised. “I promised him already.”

 

            He didn’t miss how they all exchanged significant looks. Oh, wow. Just a few months away and they already developed anti-Sungjong telepathy. “What?” he demanded. “I didn’t give myself away, in case you forgot.” He almost regretted his words when he saw Sunggyu flinch.

 

            Sungyeol sent him a judging look and the younger ignored him, his skin prickling with guilt. “Anyway, I don’t see why you can’t visit me. Myungsoo pretty much agrees to whatever I ask for.” If there was one thing Sungjong was grateful for, it was that he got his way almost all the time.

 

            Not that he got pushed around at home, but it was nice not having to fight with Sungyeol over the last piece of cake. He brightened up suddenly, “Why don’t you all come back to the castle with me? I can show you around!” He didn’t miss the panicked look that flitted across Woohyun’s face at his words.

 

            Sungyeol shivered, “And become his next meal? I know everyone wants a piece of me, but I don’t want to die yet.”

 

            “Half the people in town want your head for wrecking havoc, Sungyeol.” Woohyun commented dryly.

 

            He waved his hand dismissively, “Yes, well…you get my point. I don’t want to die a !” he wailed. Sungjong sighed as the conversation somehow steered to stuff and their necessity depending on the seducer’s prowess. (“You don’t need a bloody if you have someone like me! Surely you’ve heard your father – ouch!”)

 

            On the day of his departure Sungjong found himself delayed with a sick Sunggyu on his hands. He was half convinced that he had somehow psychoed himself into falling sick. He glanced out of the window once, wondering about Myungsoo. He can survive a day without me, he decided. If he left his father with the three musketeers he’ll end up with a dead Sunggyu on his hands.

 

            On the second day…“Your father is asking for you to accompany him.” Woohyun told him, straight faced.

 

            On the third…“No! Sungjong don’t leave me!”

 

            Sungjong stormed out of the house on the fourth, a frantic Sunggyu running after him. So much for being too sick to even walk. His dad’s a crap actor, that’s for sure.

 

            “Come visit, okay?” he yelled as he drove off, “I keep my promises!”

 

            Turning his attention back to the road, Sungjong felt his heart fluttering lightly. It wasn’t just about keeping his promise, he actually missed Myungsoo too. A smile curled up the edges of his lips as he pictured Myungsoo’s adorable reaction whenever he saw Sungjong. His eyes would light up and he would beam with an innocent joy that is more commonly seen in kids.

 

            He’s more of a kid than I am though, Sungjong thought wryly. Thanks to the car’s GPS, Sungjong managed to find himself way back soon enough. After the last incident, he’s never going to trust a map again.

 

            He skipped up the steps of the castle, slamming the door open to announce his arrival. The foyer was strangely Myungsoo-less, to Sungjong’s disappointment. His anxiety grew as he wandered from room to room in search of the Big Friendly Giant.     

            “Myungsoo!” he called out, “Where the hell are you?” At the door of the dark room, Sungjong took a deep breath. This was the last room, and if Myungsoo wasn’t here he was going to get it for making him walk so much.

 

            He shoved the door opened and his eyes took a moment to adjust to the darkness and register Myungsoo’s silhouette on the floor. For God’s sake, another patient?

 

            Myungsoo was spread eagled on the marble floor, looking like he had collapsed. Sungjong nudged him with his foot, “Yah, wake up. Why weren’t you waiting for me?”

 

            As though Sungjong’s voice was electric, Myungsoo’s bloodshot eyes jolted open. “I’m dying,” he said matter-of-factly.

 

            “Can see that,” Sungjong said boredly, “Let’s have tea, I’m hungry.”

 

            “I said that I’m dying.” He insisted again, his voice barely above a whisper, “I haven’t eaten for three days.”

 

            “What?” he said, voice reaching a few octaves. As Sungjong knelt down next to him, he saw things he hadn’t noticed earlier. Myungsoo’s shallow breathing. His weak movements. Dongwoo huddled next to him, unmoving.

 

            “Why did you do that?” he half-yelled, cradling Myungsoo’s head. The beast smiled faintly, lifting his pinky.

 

            “I’m a loyal royal.” He chuckled, somehow managing to find humour in his lousy joke.

 

            “You’re a royal idiot,” Sungjong snapped. “You promised to wait for me!”

 

            “I did, but I also promised to die if you don’t come back within a week.” Myungsoo’s eyes started closing. Sungjong didn’t know whether he wanted to tear his hair out in frustration or bash Myungsoo’s head on the cold floor for being so irritatingly stubborn.

 

            Why am I forever surrounded by idiots? He thought exasperatedly. Cold fear took over his heart when he felt the beast relaxing in his arms, though not in the way he wanted. Shaking him roughly, Sungjong felt the oncoming panic closing on to him when the beast refused to be awakened.

 

            “Kim Myungsoo! Don’t you dare die on me or I’ll go down to hell and you’ll die two times over!” he screamed furiously. Tears beaded in his eyes and rolled down his fair cheeks when Myungsoo didn’t respond. “I freaking love you, okay? I must be insane to say this but I think I do. Now come back here and do your duty as a prince!”

 

            “Why am I always cleaning up his mess?” a velvety voice sounded from above. Sungjong looked up to see Woohyun standing in front of him, the faint sunlight highlighting his form and making him look like an angel (Sungjong was 99.9% sure that his position was deliberate).

 

            This was bloody ridiculous. He was cradling a half dead lover in his arms with a fairy godmother trying to fix everything. Now they just needed stupid sparkly stars raining from the ceiling to turn it into a Disney film.

 

            Waving his hands around vaguely, Woohyun muttered weird words under his breath that sounded suspiciously like Sungyeol’s alien language when he was drunk. Sungjong knew that it was magic but he had a strange urge to laugh aloud. His hand motions were so gay, and this was coming from a gay guy.

 

            His attention was drawn to Myungsoo stirring in his arms, his chocolate eyes opening blearily. “Decided to come back, huh?” Sungjong hissed sarcastically, only to jerk back when he realised that he was cradling an incredibly hot guy in his arms. Man, this guy puts all of dad’s sculptures to shame, Sungjong thought, still in shock.

 

            He looked at Woohyun, half-confused. “Did you get a plastic surgeon to teach you some tricks or something?”            

 

            Woohyun jabbed a finger at the disoriented guy lying in Sungjong’s embrace, “This idiot here is back to his original form. You broke the spell by falling for him.”

 

            “What spell?” his eyebrows furrowed.

 

            Woohyun cleared his throat. “Um, a spell that I put on him accidentally.” As the younger’s eyes started to shoot sparks when he put two and two together, he quickly tried to fix the situation. “I didn’t do it on purpose! Prince Charming asked for it, literally. He wanted to become more handsome but the spell backfired.” He explained.

 

            Myungsoo sat up suddenly, tearing away from Sungjong’s embrace. “You!” he snarled, attempting to get up and failing pathetically when he fell flat on his again.

 

            “Yes, me! The guy who dragged your sorry back from the afterworld and gave you a spark in your pitiful love life.” Woohyun scoffed at him, “Scratch that. I practically started a fire for you so you better thank me.”

 

            It was Myungsoo’s turn to snort. “Thank you for making a mistake?”

 

            “It worked, didn’t it?!”

 

            “It backfired, you !”

 

            “Well, at least it turned out well!”

 

            Myungsoo huffed and turned to Sungjong, “How do you even know this guy, anyway?”

 

           Sungjong watched this with much bemusement, feeling his heart skip a beat when Myungsoo looked at him. Damn, this guy was more handsome than any other guy he had seen in his life. “He’s my future stepfather.” He answered.

 

           Woohyun slung a friendly arm around Myungsoo, clearly forgetting that the latter was on the verge of breaking his perfect nose. “That makes you my future stepson!”

 

            Groaning, the prince buried his face in his hands. “Why do I have to be related to you, of all people?”

 

            “Now, now. Shouldn’t you be more respectful to someone higher than you?” he pouted.

 

            “We’re almost the same age!”

 

            Woohyun sighed and shook his head. “I’m still your hyung, and if you intend to marry Sungjong I’m going to be your father-in-law. So be careful I don’t throw you out for preying on Sungjong.”

 

            Myungsoo glared at him for a moment before shifting his attention back to Sungjong. “Hi?” he tried tentatively.

 

            The younger scowled and whacked his arm, his rant dying on his lips when Myungsoo looked at him guiltily. Impulsively, he leaned forward to hug him, feeling toned arms wrapping around his waist gently. “It’s good to have you back, Myungsoo.” He mumbled into his ear.

 

            “I could say the same.” He replied, tightening his hold. He was never leaving again, not if his beautiful princess still wanted him. And he had a feeling that this was going to last forever.

 

            Just the two of them, their very own happily ever after.

 

            (“Dear god, I swear I can feel ants crawling over me. Ow, that was unnecessary, kid.”)

 

__________________________

 

A/N: This is the end of it everyone! I'm sorry about the long wait, but I had to prepare for an important exam that completely slipped my mind. This is my first chaptered story (though unintentional) and my first time working with this genre with so many characters.

 

Thank you so much for your support! To anyone who subscribed, commented, or read this story, thank you. *throws Woohyun's greasy hearts* (Woohyun's my bias, but Sungyeol is just impossibly lovable here).