Part 1

Beauty and the Beast: a Myungjong fairytale

A/N: This was meant to be a one shot but it was longer than I expected. So here's the first part. Enjoy!

 

__________________________

 

             Frizzy mouse brown hair – oh dear what happened to his sleek raven hair? Enormous furry paws and an awkwardly thick body. And his face…the man turned and snatched up a gilded frame. Oh god, please not the face not the face not the –

 

            The face of a beast stared back at him.

           

            No.

 

            No.

 

            “Nam Woohyun what the hell have you done?!” Myungsoo shrieked at an impressively high pitch, enough to shatter glass. And shatter glass it did as the mirror in his hands exploded into tiny fragments.

 

            The enchanter (Wizard, he called himself, because enchanter sounded girly) flinched, backtracking a bit. “I did exactly what you told me to, Kim Myungsoo. I guess you just couldn’t get any more handsome so the spell reversed.”

 

            Woohyun eyed the unrecognisable crossbreed in front of him, a complete opposite to the angelic looking guy standing there mere minutes ago. Bear, he decided, he looks more bear than…some other furry brown animal. Maybe he shouldn’t have eaten those gummy bears on his way to Myungsoo’s castle.

 

            Myungsoo could only stare at the remnants of the mirror in his hands – no, paws – blankly. Then the full enormity of what happened hit him. No more girls falling over themselves to talk to him, no more selcas, no more admiring looks from strangers. Distantly, he wondered if his favourite organ had increased proportionally with his height. Hey, always look on the bright side.

 

            The self-proclaimed selca king sidled over to the hulking beast, winking at his own reflection in the shattered mirror. “This was my favourite mirror, you know.” Myungsoo mumbled absently.

 

            Woohyun stifled a giggle, “Wow, I can’t believe that the mirror actually cracked at your reflection.” Ignoring the burning glare, he tilted the mirror 45 degrees downwards, a perfect angle for a selca. “See, this is why you look so weird in photos. You’re supposed to tilt it this way and cover half your forehead. There, now you don’t look too bad!”

 

            It was all Myungsoo could do to not to break another mirror, preferably with his friend’s face.

 

            Noticing the thunderous look on the already-terrifying beast, Woohyun rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. “Okay, look, I know this wasn’t what either of us wanted but at least you still have your eyes! That’s what the girls love best about you.”

 

            “Like that’s supposed to comfort me.”

 

            Woohyun chewed on his full bottom lip uncomfortably. Maybe it’s best not to mention the cure now… “Let’s have some wine,” he offered, pressing a bell to summon Myungsoo’s trusty butler, “then we can think of some way to deal with all this.” Rubbing his temples, Myungsoo could only sigh. This was not turning out to be his day. A clacking sound at the door drew his attention instantly. A second later, a candelabra was forcing his way in past the heavy mahogany doors in front of his flabbergasted eyes.

 

            “Sorry, Master Kim, but I’m not in the best position to retrieve your wine from the cellar now.” A vaguely Kenyan accented voice issued from the mouth (?) of the candelabra.

 

            The beast swallowed thickly, surely not everyone has turned into something else right? His idiot of a friend can’t be that powerful. “Dongwoo? What happened to you?”

 

            The candelabra raised its gold arms helplessly, “I don’t know, sir. I was in the kitchen when me and the other staff suddenly found ourselves transfigured into…objects.” Leaning forward, he continued, “I consider myself lucky sir, not to be turned into something like a , which was what happened to your masseur.”

 

            Woohyun took this as a cue to leave. As quickly as he could, he slipped out of the door and took off running, wincing as his name echoed in the hallway. When he was almost as the gates he turned back and yelled to a snarling Myungsoo, “Just get the person you like to fall for you! It can’t be that hard!”

 

            “How do I do that when you know I’m gay?!” he howled.

 

            “Maybe that’s just God’s way of teaching you to stop being a player and fool around with girls’ hearts.” Saluting cheekily, Woohyun leapt into his Porsche and drove off. Of course, he could have just teleported back home and save both his money and the environment, but how else was he supposed to get his girls?

 

__________________________

 

 

            With infinite precision, Sungjong smudged just a hint of eyeliner on the edge of his model’s eye. This was the trickiest part, a bit overdone and it could potentially turn the person into an addition to the panda exhibit.

 

            Smiling in self-satisfaction, Sungjong leaned back and examined his reflection critically. Yes, he was his own model and he’s proud of it. Sungjong doesn’t consider himself to be vain, he just believes in self-worth. People are either handsome or ugly, or average. No point in sugar coating facts when the truth is obvious in everyone’s hearts.

 

            “Yah, Lee Sungjong! Get your down here! It’s your turn to make breakfast!” Sungyeol hyung’s voice drifted from downstairs, making his eye twitch in mild irritation. Ignoring the giraffe’s order (because Sungjong doesn’t take orders from anyone but himself), he bent over the mirror again.

 

            Thumping noises heralded his second brother’s approach and the door swung open to reveal a disgruntled Sungyeol. “Just let him sleep, Sungyeol!” Howon hyung shouted from the foot of the stairs, his deep voice resonating clearly through the house, “I’ll cook breakfast today.”

 

            “Like hell he’s asleep!” Sungyeol yelled back in annoyance, “Miss prissy is fixing his makeup.” He scowled at the younger who simply looked at him haughtily, never mind the eyeliner in his hands. Lee Sungjong could stare down a tiger even in drag.

 

            “Are you done yet? Dad’s leaving soon so you better hurry up. We wouldn’t want to disappoint him by depriving him of his precious princess.” With a long-suffering, why-is-the-world-so-unfair sigh, the lanky guy exited the room.

 

            A smile tugged at the edges of the pretty boy’s lips as he made his way down, the thought of his father always cheered him up. Kim Sunggyu was a merchant, always travelling all over Korea to do his business and provide his sons with a good life. He had raised his sons all by himself but had never complained, choosing to dote on them on the rare occasions that he was home. A strict father, he enforced his rules about the house but cared for his sons in a way that rivalled any mother’s.

 

            As far as Sungjong was concerned, his mother doesn’t exist. Howon hyung told him that she died, his dad said that he let her go and Sungyeol hyung said that she ran off with some guy and got herself pregnant right after giving birth to Sungjong. Apparently, that was why Sunggyu let them take on their mother’s surname. It was because no matter what, Sunggyu still loved their mother, or so Sungyeol claimed. Then again, his words were always so outrageous that it was hard to tell whether it was the truth.

 

            Everyone was already seated when he entered, Sungyeol hyung clutching his stomach and gazing at their father pitifully. He cheerily greeted everyone good morning and his had barely grazed the chair when the choding grabbed the nearest bowl of kimchi stew, grumbling about how Sungjong was more like the head of the house than their dad.

 

            When Howon hyung’s delicious breakfast had disappeared from the table, Sunggyu leaned back and looked around at the table. His tiny eyes crinkled into a smile and he asked, “Well, what will it be this time? I’m going to the city so everyone gets one gift.”

 

            “A purple dumbbell.”

         

            “A coffee machine. Oh, and some espresso powder too.”

 

            “Eau de Roselle for homme. You know, the latest fragrance for men?” Aaannnddd this is where Sungjong would look back 7 days later and curse his stupid mouth. Because this was the exact second that he dug his own grave. It was the very catalyst for the incoming storm that blew up right in his face. Why wasn’t there an undo button? If there was Sungjong would have whacked it a hundred times over, yelling, “No Sungjong, don’t! You smell good enough as you are!”

 

            But unfortunately, life is never fair, as his second brother loves to whine. Sunggyu nodded readily at all their request but when he heard the third, his forehead crumpled. “Really, Sungjongie?” he murmured doubtfully, “I don’t want guys coming to me and asking for your hand in marriage.”

 

            “As though he doesn’t want it already,” snickered his oldest brother. Among the trio Howon was the shortest, the only one who hadn’t inherited the height genes from their mother. Not that he minded, he made up for it with his muscular frame.

 

            Sungjong sent a glare at him, albeit a weak one. Their family had long accepted that their youngest son was gay, on top of being prettier than most girls his age. He wasn’t ashamed of himself, nor were the others. What he minded was that he probably wouldn’t get his happily-ever-after, not like everyone else. Even if he would rather die than admit it he still wanted to find true love, everybody does.

 

            Pushing the thought aside, he bade goodbye to his father, not forgetting to hug him like how he did when he was a kid. He was taller than Sunggyu now, but he felt young again when he told his father to come back quickly and safely, a ritual that had started ever since Sunggyu came back 2 days late due to a flood to find a half hysterical Sungjong bawling his eyes out for his daddy.

 

            Nodding his head, Sunggyu chuckled reassuringly. “Of course I’ll come back to my precious princess.” He cooed, pointedly ignoring his other sons who gagged noisily. Releasing his son, he went and did his proper goodbyes to his other 2 sons who clutched at him tightly.

 

            Psh, hypocrites, Sungjong thought dismissively.  And they say that I act like a kid.

 

            Sungjong never expected that the next time Sunggyu came back, he would be 2 days early and sobbing hysterically. His strong, reliable, ever optimistic father – crying as Sungjong’s world came crashing down.